Zagrapan leaves for Russia

wildcat48

Having to use Hecht at center last year without giving Zagrapan even a one game tryout speaks volumes for where he stands in the organization. Mancari, Gerbe, Kennedy all got a shot with the big club last year while Zagrapan continued to very pedestrian at the AHL level.

Along with Kryukov, another "top half of the 1st round" bust for DR.

Having to use Hecht at center last year without giving Zagrapan even a one game tryout speaks volumes for where he stands in the organization. Mancari, Gerbe, Kennedy all got a shot with the big club last year while Zagrapan continued to very pedestrian at the AHL level.

Along with Kryukov, another "top half of the 1st round" bust for DR.

Kryukov could have been Brooks Orpik, I would just like to thank Bucky for reminding that with his latest anti-management opinion piece.

That was a solid blue chip draft.

The entire 2000 draft I mean.

I wonder how DR struck out so bad that year?

Kryukov, Gerard, DiCaire, Rousseau, Denisov, Bizyayev, McMorrow.

What a hit parade of talent. The only player that panned out was Gustaud, and lets be honest he is what he is.

That entire 2005 draft looks hit or miss. The entire first round is full of a bunch of nothing players. It's too bad that they didn't do a little better in the lottery and win an earlier pick. Still, it would've guaranteed nothing, short of landing one of the top 2 spots. They could've just as easily wound up with a Pouliot or Skille (oh wait, they pretty much did).

I think the interesting thing is that they haven't taken an eastern european since that draft. I don't think we'll see one again for a very long time. Even a guy like Zagrapan who was already over in Canada playing in the Q will be a rare pick for the Sabres going forward.

I think the interesting thing is that they haven't taken an eastern european since that draft. I don't think we'll see one again for a very long time. Even a guy like Zagrapan who was already over in Canada playing in the Q will be a rare pick for the Sabres going forward.

Tits! :thumbsup:

That entire 2005 draft looks hit or miss. The entire first round is full of a bunch of nothing players. It's too bad that they didn't do a little better in the lottery and win an earlier pick. Still, it would've guaranteed nothing, short of landing one of the top 2 spots. They could've just as easily wound up with a Pouliot or Skille (oh wait, they pretty much did).

I have never been one to bash eastern euro's as far as hockey accumen however their apprehension to play the game "The North American" way is a bit unsettling. lets hope going forward DR or whom ever is at the helm learns from prior mistakes. What do you know the 2000 draft would be a great defense for those that bitch and moan about video scouting.

I have never been one to bash eastern euro's as far as hockey accumen however their apprehension to play the game "The North American" way is a bit unsettling. lets hope going forward DR or whom ever is at the helm learns from prior mistakes. What do you know the 2000 draft would be a great defense for those that bitch and moan about video scouting.

I think what you meant was that the 2000 draft would be the perfect response to those that think that video scouting is the root of the organization's demise.

It would be difficult for Kevin Devine and his staff with the "aid" of video to do worse.

As for 2005, like Shrader said, its not like Zagrapan was the only stiff in the first round.

One final draft note, they may be deciding to pass on Byron as June 1st is just around the corner.

I think what you meant was that the 2000 draft would be the perfect response to those that think that video scouting is the root of the organization's demise.

It would be difficult for Kevin Devine and his staff with the "aid" of video to do worse.

As for 2005, like Shrader said, its not like Zagrapan was the only stiff in the first round.

One final draft note, they may be deciding to pass on Byron as June 1st is just around the corner.

exactly what I meant thanks for clarifying my muddled thoughts.

The eastern european thing really isn't about the style of play. It's about transfer agreements and the constant threat of the KHL. The numbers are down league-wide, not just in Buffalo.

There must have been something in the air or water that year. 2000 was the same year as John Butler's disasterous final draft with the Bills (Erik Flowers and co.).

edit: Oh, and I remember how people around here were really talking this kid up a lot the year after he was picked. That just goes to show you how you really can't go labeling someone as a can't miss so early in the process. It also is a nice reminder of how we can't go too crazy over any numbers coming out of the Q.

The eastern european thing really isn't about the style of play. It's about transfer agreements and the constant threat of the KHL. The numbers are down league-wide, not just in Buffalo.

There must have been something in the air or water that year. 2000 was the same year as John Butler's disasterous final draft with the Bills (Erik Flowers and co.).

edit: Oh, and I remember how people around here were really talking this kid up a lot the year after he was picked. That just goes to show you how you really can't go labeling someone as a can't miss so early in the process. It also is a nice reminder of how we can't go too crazy over any numbers coming out of the Q.

In re euro players I was referring to a lack of physicality.

In re euro players I was referring to a lack of physicality.

I know, but wanted to point out that this isn't why they're being drafted less. There's a time and a place for each kind of player. I also wonder if that "euros are soft" mentality is a bit flawed. Sure, many are, but we could put together a very solid list of physical players that every team would love to have.

I know, but wanted to point out that this isn't why they're being drafted less. There's a time and a place for each kind of player. I also wonder if that "euros are soft" mentality is a bit flawed. Sure, many are, but we could put together a very solid list of physical players that every team would love to have.

Good points all around. OV would be a good example of a Non-soft euro player.

Chara, Lindstrom, Norstrom, Sundin, Kovalev, Ruttu to start...

and then maybe I'd throw in Ovechkin.

Chara, Lindstrom, Norstrom, Sundin, Kovalev, Ruttu to start...

and then maybe I'd throw in Ovechkin.

Any list is going to be weighted a bit towards the Scandinavians. I was trying to stick with that eastern european label earlier since there's a definite distinction between them and the scandinavians when it comes to who is/isn't being drafted over recent years.

Archived