From the man who brought you blue ice and hulking nets...

LabattBlue

Sure, that's why the keys are sticky. We're not buying it.

inkman's MIA. Someone had to say it. I wouldn't have bet on shrader, but when guys go down, others have to step in and play a different role. Andrew Peters just scored on a breakaway.

Isnt this all part of the"Master Plan" a few of our posters here told me about when we let Mckee, Dumont, Grier, Drury and Brierre go without even a draft pick in return????

Forget the typo. No point whatsoever in getting our panties in a bunch about that.

However, I will disagree with the substance of this post. Those players (and I miss every one of them terribly) were all UFAs. The only way we were going to get anything (even a pick) for any of them was to unload him at the deadline -- and teams that are shooting for the cup don't unload good veterans at the deadline.

A better complaint would have been to bemoan the buffoonish execution that cost us Grier and Drury (and probably an extra $3MM per year on Vanek) and the poor choices on which players to pay to keep (Tallinder, Kalinin, Max, Kotalik, Connolly) and which to let go that cost us McKee, Dumont and Briere.

Forget the typo. No point whatsoever in getting our panties in a bunch about that.

However, I will disagree with the substance of this post. Those players (and I miss every one of them terribly) were all UFAs. The only way we were going to get anything (even a pick) for any of them was to unload him at the deadline -- and teams that are shooting for the cup don't unload good veterans at the deadline.

A better complaint would have been to bemoan the buffoonish execution that cost us Grier and Drury (and probably an extra $3MM per year on Vanek) and the poor choices on which players to pay to keep (Tallinder, Kalinin, Max, Kotalik, Connolly) and which to let go that cost us McKee, Dumont and Briere.

Shake the tree any way you want it the end result is bad management caused us to be where we are now..If you think that letting the above mentioned players go without getting anything in return for one of them isnt why we are where we are now then we can stop this discussion now..THat team shouldve been added to to finish the job not torn down as a few of the posters here claim. IN reality every one of them could have been signed much before their contracts were up. THAts the real travesty..MAKE up any excuse you want for the team or the management but if they had been proactive to the market and had them signed earlier they wouldnt be watching hockey right now they would be playing..

Shake the tree any way you want it the end result is bad management caused us to be where we are now..If you think that letting the above mentioned players go without getting anything in return for one of them isnt why we are where we are now then we can stop this discussion now..THat team shouldve been added to to finish the job not torn down as a few of the posters here claim. IN reality every one of them could have been signed much before their contracts were up. THAts the real travesty..MAKE up any excuse you want for the team or the management but if they had been proactive to the market and had them signed earlier they wouldnt be watching hockey right now they would be playing..

So only the teams can be proactive to the market? The players and their agents and the players union can't see just down the road a piece?

He now invisions a day when the NHL has teams from all over the WORLD playing for the Stanley Cup. :lol:

Please Please Please just STFU!

I know you hate the guy...but that doesn't you have to bash every idea.

There is no reason why the NHL champion couldn't play the championship teams from the Elite leagues for the Cup.

I'd take Grier back, he's the only one that got better once he left. Briere has groin problems and Drury's fading away. Seriously, they weren't all that when they were here. It was the "team" that played well together. Teams don't last forever, they are built, contend, and need to be "rejuvenated" from time to time. My issue with management is the rejuvenation portion. They can't sit on their hands and think, well, someday these kids will be men and look at the money we saved.

I'd take Grier back, he's the only one that got better once he left. Briere has groin problems and Drury's fading away. Seriously, they weren't all that when they were here. It was the "team" that played well together. Teams don't last forever, they are built, contend, and need to be "rejuvenated" from time to time. My issue with management is the rejuvenation portion. They can't sit on their handsand think, well, someday these kids will be men and look at the money we saved.

Do you think that LQ and TG are preforming "The Stranger"?

Do you think that LQ and TG are preforming "The Stranger"?

Billy Joel?

Don't be afraid to try again

Everyone goes south

Every now and then

You've done it why can't

Someone else?

You should know by now

You've been there yourself

I'd take Grier back, he's the only one that got better once he left. Briere has groin problems and Drury's fading away. Seriously, they weren't all that when they were here. It was the "team" that played well together. Teams don't last forever, they are built, contend, and need to be "rejuvenated" from time to time. My issue with management is the rejuvenation portion. They can't sit on their hands and think, well, someday these kids will be men and look at the money we saved.

And the crowd says,'"AMEN!"

I don't disagree with anything in this post. It was indeed bad management (and I think I said so in my post). My point was simply that the problem wasn't a failure to get something in return for those guys when they left -- it was the failure to keep them together (and, as you pointed out, add the missing parts).

I think they were all that and then some. You are right that it was the team that played well together -- but those guys were the heart of the team (not, as it turns out, Roy, Tallinder, Kotalik, etc.) That team was good enough to be in the hunt for the Cup every year. It just needed tweaking on the margins. They let the entire thing fall apart due to incompetence.

Billy Joel?

Don't be afraid to try again

Everyone goes south

Every now and then

You've done it why can't

Someone else?

You should know by now

You've been there yourself

Yikes, you and I must be about the same age, because that's what popped into my head.

Yikes, you and I must be about the same age, because that's what popped into my head.

Surprising that anything pops into that head of yours.

I always assumed spndnchz was some 40 year old guy stuck in a chair in front of his computer. Evidentally he's much older.

Here's your punishment...I'm 72, 6'-4" , 285lbs, long beard with last nights tv dinner still in it, large calves, tats, and enjoy running around my apartment in the nude. Now try to get that image out of your head.

or I could look like this..

You mustve been watching a different team..They handled the teams top lines, outscored most of them penalty killed, were on the powerplay and let the "supposed young superstars" of the team play against third and fourth line players and dominate them..They were all that and then some on this team..They functioned great together and they made this team complete..They were the blood and the heart of the team..Without them this team has been floundering miserably...

You mustve been watching a different team..They handled the teams top lines, outscored most of them penalty killed, were on the powerplay and let the "supposed young superstars" of the team play against third and fourth line players and dominate them..They were all that and then some on this team..They functioned great together and they made this team complete..They were the blood and the heart of the team..Without them this team has been floundering miserably...

You're not getting me. I LOVED Drury, Briere, Pyatt, Grier, Marty et al. But those years we had a 'team'. Players that knew where each other were on the ice. Trusted each other, got in each others face good or bad. Floundering now, but not miserably. In 06-07 the Pkill/PP was 81.4 and 17.4% last year it was 81.8 and 21%, so scratch that penalty killed, were on the powerplay of the list.

Archived