Which Sabres do you watch and say...

LabattBlue

Miller, Vanek, Kaleta, Gaustad.

Miller is a franchise goalie when he is healthy and on his game. I think he came back too soon from the ankle injury -- not mentally ready. Last fall, it seemed if the puck was turned over in the defensive zone, he was never in position to stop it. He went on a hot streak and took that away, but he has relapsed. Once he recovers and gets on his game, he's the goalie I want.

Vanek is a top scorer. He needs to be with the right line. When he was with Connolly, I think he excelled. When he was with Roy... I don't know. When you see Vanek with the puck, he makes passes and plays that set up scoring opportunities. He needs to be with someone that thinks the same way. And he is one of the few that recognize being in front of the goal is where you score goals.

Gaustad is another guy that realizes the front of the goal increases a scoring opportunity. I like his attitude and what he does on the ice -- grit, heart, ...

Kaleta is that instigator that I can tolerate. If we went with Sean Avery, or Chris Neal, or Darcy Tucker, I would struggle to root for them.

Stafford and Connolly are close to making that cut for me. I think they need to be on the right line. I think if they both paired with Vanek, that might make me happy. I think Connolly and Vanek worked well together because they are both playmakers. They just need that last piece, and they need to keep that line together. I am a little tired of seeing lines switched every game.

I like a lot of the players but would not miss any of them is better players replace them.

That's what I was trying to get at. There is no one that you love so much as a player, that you would strangle DR if he even thought of ever trading them. NONE(I changed my mind...not even Kaleta).

That's what I was trying to get at. There is no one that you love so much as a player, that you would strangle DR if he even thought of ever trading them. NONE(I changed my mind...not even Kaleta).

Now that you put it that way, the only guy I'd strangle DR for letting go is Miller. He does have his cold streaks, but he's an elite goalie when he's on his game. After watching Lalime & Tellqvist for too many games, it's clear to me that Miller exudes confidence in the net. I feel way more comfortable with him playing than anyone else right now.

Kaleta and Goose.

Also, despite his recent slump, I've always been a fan of Roy's and think he will continue to mature into a very good player with a great contract. Of course, I may be a little biased since I own his game-worn 2002 preseason black goat head jersey (his first dark Sabres jersey; he went back to Kitchener after that preseason and captained them to the Memorial Cup, earning MVP honors.)

Maybe Miller, but when you miss the playoffs two years in a row and five of the last seven no one should be safe. A major shake up is in order especially when you consider all the "playoffs or bust" rhetoric that we heard from the top of the organization on down at the start of the season. To not hold those most accountable for this debacle with their jobs will be unacceptable.

Now that you put it that way, the only guy I'd strangle DR for letting go is Miller. He does have his cold streaks, but he's an elite goalie when he's on his game. After watching Lalime & Tellqvist for too many games, it's clear to me that Miller exudes confidence in the net. I feel way more comfortable with him playing than anyone else right now.

So he's an elite goalie when he's an elite goalie. :thumbsup:

Miller's the only one I would be really PO'd about losing, although if we lost Vanek it would have to be in exchange for another elite scorer (like Heatley or LeCavelier). As far as players I like and really want to see stay here (although as noted by several posters above, these too can be traded to improve the team):

Rivet

Connolly

Gaustad

Kaleta

Then there is a category of young players who've shown promise but not enough consistency to get into the top "really want to keep" tier, but could get there with another good year that includes some improvement and better consistency:

Sekera

Butler

MacArthur

Paille

Then there are Pommer and Roy, who've been around longer than the 4 younger guys, and thus are less entitled to my patience. I think both of them had lousy years (yes, I know Roy's numbers are pretty decent this year, but as I've posted elsewhere I think he's been pretty disappointing both down the stretch and generally with the intangibles). I could easily see both of them having much better years next year and thus getting into the top tier, but they're not there right now.

I continue to go back and forth about Sekera. While I like him, I often think of the 'we could get something for him' mentality. This team has no #1 or #2 D-man. Sure, Lydman blocks a lot of shots, Rivet fights, yada yada... But couldn't we just as easily pack up Sekera and Tallinder or Lydman and bring in a #1 D-man? We don't have a Chara, Bouwmeester, Lidstrom. And we need one IMO. Yeah, I know Sekera's a RFA. Get some picks, or sign him cheap and trade him.

Miller and Vanek.

Miller is the heart and soul of the team, a true leader.

After watching Vanek for the first 20 games of this season, I can't help but be convinced he has it in him to be a legit 50 goal scoring elite winger. He has a good head on his shoulders, has held up to adversity well (he can take criticism without throwing a Euro hissy fit) and has potential to be our franchise offensive forward.

Miller and Vanek.

Miller is the heart and soul of the team, a true leader.

After watching Vanek for the first 20 games of this season, I can't help but be convinced he has it in him to be a legit 50 goal scoring elite winger. He has a good head on his shoulders, has held up to adversity well (he can take criticism without throwing a Euro hissy fit) and has potential to be our franchise offensive forward.

:w00t: I love it.

I continue to go back and forth about Sekera. While I like him, I often think of the 'we could get something for him' mentality. This team has no #1 or #2 D-man. Sure, Lydman blocks a lot of shots, Rivet fights, yada yada... But couldn't we just as easily pack up Sekera and Tallinder or Lydman and bring in a #1 D-man? We don't have a Chara, Bouwmeester, Lidstrom. And we need one IMO. Yeah, I know Sekera's a RFA. Get some picks, or sign him cheap and trade him.

Very few teams have them. Packaging 3 average D-Men for a No.1?

Archived