Vanek in Vanek's own words

He (or it - deluca as it were) must have the day off or is wasting a lot of some one's money posting from work.

At any rate... To me this is interesting for a variety of reasons; chief among them being that I was curious to know how Vanek himself was going to respond to Vanek's injury. I suppose it's no more than what I expected from him; he comes across as a no-nonsense type of person. It's nice to see he is taking the high road and enjoying the family time as opposed to moaning and groaning and feeling sorry for himself.

Also, the 5-6 week potential (or as Dr. deluca has it - 7-8 week potential) is significantly more than the "official" word on Vanek's potential absence from the roster. I wonder if this possibility alone is making the front office look into more last minute deals than they might have otherwise.

What I do with tax payer's dollars is none of your business. :lol:

Son. You just don't get it and you never will. Nothing has changed in regards to Vanek's injury. There is no new information and the Sabres are not going to go out and spend any additional money to make up for Vanek's loss. It could be 3-4 weeks or 2 months it doesn't matter. They have their budget and will go forward as planned sans Vanek or not.

I think it's refreshing that players are putting out information on their own. Remember when Tim Connolly broke the news that he had a broken rib, and not just a sternal "boo boo" or however the Sabres put it?

The last thing Vanek wants is people like Deluca questioning his desire five minutes after four weeks have passed.

I think it's refreshing that players are putting out information on their own. Remember when Tim Connolly broke the news that he had a broken rib, and not just a sternal "boo boo" or however the Sabres put it?

The last thing Vanek wants is people like Deluca questioning his desire five minutes after four weeks have passed.

This one was a bit more obvious than your typical head or leg injury though. Everyone knew what it was the second he was announced as being out long term.

I haven't been able to post my option about the Vanek injury so i figure i'll do it now.

Despite feeling the loss of Van everytime we're on the Power Play,and the overall lack of offense. I think theres a grand positive we can take out of the injury.

During Vanek's absence,the team will have to dig deeper to compensate for it. If we're able to maintain a playoff spot,then we would do so without our leading scorer. This will undoubtedly give everyone a bit more confidence. Then Vanek comes back at the middle to end of march and gives us a huge spark,that might be significant enough to make us a hot team heading into the post season.

Its gloomy now,but it will only make us a stronger team once he returns.

Granted an metaphorical igniting will do little if the sabs do what the sabres do best,and take there foot off the accelerator in the face of adversity. But i believe we have what it takes to make the next step in this "rebuilding phase". Just making the playoffs is good enough when you consider last seasons result.

During Vanek's absence,the team will have to dig deeper to compensate for it. If we're able to maintain a playoff spot,then we would do so without our leading scorer. This will undoubtedly give everyone a bit more confidence. Then Vanek comes back at the middle to end of march and gives us a huge spark,that might be significant enough to make us a hot team heading into the post season.

While he's still a work in process, Stafford is learning a valuable new skill playing the net-front-center position on the PP. He's not as big as Goose, but has better hands. It's always good to have options there. Plus, it could translate into him playing a harder game in front of the net even when they are 5-on-5.

However, the real opportunity is for Pommer and Hecht, but I haven't seen evidence of that yet.

While he's still a work in process, Stafford is learning a valuable new skill playing the net-front-center position on the PP. He's not as big as Goose, but has better hands. It's always good to have options there. Plus, it could translate into him playing a harder game in front of the net even when they are 5-on-5.

However, the real opportunity is for Pommer and Hecht, but I haven't seen evidence of that yet.

Yes indeed. Stafford has the size and potential to become a very effective power forward. And losing Vanek brings forth a perfect scenario for him to harness those skills. Playing the net front center position on the power play gives him experience in both crashing the net,and battling along the boards. Both areas are prime postions for the power forward type.

If it translates into 5 on 5 play,then the potential of the Vanek-Roy-Stafford lines looks even deadlier.

If it translates into 5 on 5 play,then the potential of the Vanek-Roy-Stafford lines looks even deadlier.

That brings up an interesting question and one that certainly depends on any moves that we might make (either at the deadline for this year or this summer for next year): if you have two such players (Vanek and Stafford), do you keep them on the same line?

That brings up an interesting question and one that certainly depends on any moves that we might make (either at the deadline for this year or this summer for next year): if you have two such players (Vanek and Stafford), do you keep them on the same line?

Lindy seems to like to spread out his "role players" amongst the lines. If Stafford can do what Vanek does, then he'd be second line I would guess. However Lindy also seems big on passing along "knowledge" - he would keep Stafford paired with Vanek until he's happy Stafford has learned as much about the role as he could from Vanek.

Lindy seems to like to spread out his "role players" amongst the lines. If Stafford can do what Vanek does, then he'd be second line I would guess. However Lindy also seems big on passing along "knowledge" - he would keep Stafford paired with Vanek until he's happy Stafford has learned as much about the role as he could from Vanek.

Very good points.

I think if Stafford does find a niche as a power forward then i think he might have to stay with Roy and Vanek. Alot of the times it looks like thats what Roy and Van need the most on there line. A strong power forward who can muscle the puck out of the corners. I was opposed to the Van-Roy-Staff line for a while,simply because all Stafford was showing me,was that hes a lazy one dimensional offensive scorer who doesn't wanty to get dirty. But it seems like over the past month,hes become more aggresive on the puck. And thats translating into points for him. If he keeps it it up,then maybe it is a good idea to keep him up on the top line.

Or like your saying sizzle,Lindy's tendancy is a bit of a passing the knowledge style. Perhaps his plan is for Stafford to find his niche at the power forward role,and keep him on the second line for a more balanced attack. I love when Stafford is out there with Connolly. Its a very dynamic combination.

The idea of a Stafford-Connolly-Pommers line seems like a good one. But Stafford and Pommers are both right wingers. So that makes it confusing. Of course we would need Hecht to wake up and play solid 2 way hockey to fill out the first line. But we might not be seeing that this season.

Of course we would need Hecht to wake up and play solid 2 way hockey to fill out the first line. But we might not be seeing that this season.

Honestly, if we make a move at the deadline, it would be to fill that second scoring-line left-wing position. It would help now with Vanek out and Hecht could move down with Goose and Kaleta to make a good third/checking line, with a Paetsch/Paillle-Ellis-Mair fourth line. Preferably, it would be with someone that can play center when needed. Guys like Tkachuk, Prospal, White, etc., are option, though not necessarily the best ones.

From the Buffalo News today:

"Thomas Vanek is making his first appearance back with the team since breaking his jaw Feb. 7 in Ottawa. He's skating with a full face shield and wearing a red jersey, reserved in practice for players not year cleared for contact. Getting him back on the ice even in that capacity is a huge first step in his return, as it will allow him to keep some level of fitness going with the jaw still wired shut."

I've never had a broken jaw, but to be out on the ice so soon after the injury/surgery takes a lot of "heart" IMHO. Glad to see things are apparently progressing smoothly.

From the Buffalo News today:

"Thomas Vanek is making his first appearance back with the team since breaking his jaw Feb. 7 in Ottawa. He's skating with a full face shield and wearing a red jersey, reserved in practice for players not year cleared for contact. Getting him back on the ice even in that capacity is a huge first step in his return, as it will allow him to keep some level of fitness going with the jaw still wired shut."

I've never had a broken jaw, but to be out on the ice so soon after the injury/surgery takes a lot of "heart" IMHO. Glad to see things are apparently progressing smoothly.

That is good news but he is just skating. A broken jaw with surgery can't be a quick recovery. I doubt he has eaten much the last couple of weeks. This would be a good start for his conditioning, though.

Archived