Nice story about Ovechkin

nfreeman

There isn't a single player in the league that I would rather have on the team (for equal money; at $2.8 million less per year for the next five seasons, I'd have to look hard at Datsyuk.) I hate him when we play against the Caps, but mostly for reasons that I'd love him on the Sabres.

Cool. During previous debates about the best player or who you would want on your team I've picked AO for last 2 years.

Now this is a story about the NHL that should be on sportscenter or Romes show not the Ruutu Biting game...

I hope this story is true, if it is, then wow. Another example of him being a great guy. But, i was just wondering.... 1. How did the Sabres get Betty's phone number? And 2. If the note was hand written, that means AO just dropped it off after the game, but why was he carrying a all-star jersey with him? Seems kind of odd.

Anyways, there is a lot of negative stories about Ovechkin online, like him smoking, drinking like crazy, speeding late a nights and chewing tobacco. But there is also a lot of great stories. Like this one if true. Also, when i went to Washington DC few seasons ago for a Sabres game, i went to the bar afterwords. While i was drinking, a guy in the suit started to talk to me about Western NY and how he grew up close to "Buffalo" I was like oh yeah, where, and he said Gates and went to college at RIT and now works for Capitals video crew. So i told him i'm from Rochester too and we talked. He told me some crazy Ovechkin stories as well. Like, this guy also helps shoot commercials. And said Ovechkin always signs all the autographs before doing a film. He had the crew stand around. Once, there was a lot of kids. I forget how that many kids got to the arena but like a ton of them showed up with a school field trip or something. Alex gave the crew members $100 and told them to go get lunch or something, because the autos were going to take a while. He also said, Alex does charity work in the DC area and many times the crew is told to go cover it, and Alex says, "no cameras, just me. Sorry."

And yet, he'll continue to be booed whenever he touches the puck for blind-siding Briere? Yeah, that makes sense. Watching Ovechkin is as fun as I remember watching #99. I can't give a higher compliment than that.

Excuse me, but how does that not deserve booing? Blind-siding a guy head first into the boards (while he was just trying to get himself off the ice on a change) is a really good way to break somebody's neck. So you're saying we should let him off the hook because he's good?

Excuse me, but how does that not deserve booing? Blind-siding a guy head first into the boards (while he was just trying to get himself off the ice on a change) is a really good way to break somebody's neck. So you're saying we should let him off the hook because he's good?

Well, don't we HATE Briere now, too?

Please. After he speared O. I'd suggest we get over something that happened how many years ago? Mr. Briere has.

Please. After he speared O. I'd suggest we get over something that happened how many years ago? Mr. Briere has.

I don't cheer for the back of the jersey, i cheer for the front of the jersey. Ovechkin attacked a Buffalo Sabre. I don't care who he attacked, but it was a Sabre. So for that, i will booo him when he comes to HSBC Arena. It's that simple. I don't care what anyone else thinks and if i'm the only one boooing, then so be it.

I don't cheer for the back of the jersey, i cheer for the front of the jersey. Ovechkin attacked a Buffalo Sabre. I don't care who he attacked, but it was a Sabre. So for that, i will booo him when he comes to HSBC Arena. It's that simple. I don't care what anyone else thinks and if i'm the only one boooing, then so be it.

I'm with ya. Briere and Drury are both gone, but you'll never hear anything but boos from me for Ovechkin and Neil.

He did not come off nearly as well in the article about him in Maxim last month. (sorry, I looked but no link). Instead, he came off kind of like a spoiled and self-absorbed punk kid. Maybe I just thought that because I have officially crossed the threshold of young to old, but it was a lot of "I'm Russian and its the greatest place ever, American girls are ugly, Americans have no fashion sense, Americans drive too slow, yada yada yada." I just don't care for a lot of that America bashing, especially when Americans are paying your salary.

I agree that he is probably the best in the game though. He should just be a little more gracious.

He did not come off nearly as well in the article about him in Maxim last month. (sorry, I looked but no link). Instead, he came off kind of like a spoiled and self-absorbed punk kid. Maybe I just thought that because I have officially crossed the threshold of young to old, but it was a lot of "I'm Russian and its the greatest place ever, American girls are ugly, Americans have no fashion sense, Americans drive too slow, yada yada yada." I just don't care for a lot of that America bashing, especially when Americans are paying your salary.

I agree that he is probably the best in the game though. He should just be a little more gracious.

There's never anything wrong with being proud of where you're from, especially if that country has been 40 years behind ever since WWII.

What I'm saying is, the Russians finally have a little to be proud of when it comes to the motherland, let's indulge them for a while.

Could be he was trying to be funny in a way that doesn't across in writing, or maybe he just still has problems with the language.

As for Russian girls being hot? Well, I don't know any Russian girls but if pro tennis is an indication, then it's tough to argue with him :thumbsup:

There's never anything wrong with being proud of where you're from, especially if that country has been 40 years behind ever since WWII.

What I'm saying is, the Russians finally have a little to be proud of when it comes to the motherland, let's indulge them for a while.

Could be he was trying to be funny in a way that doesn't across in writing, or maybe he just still has problems with the language.

As for Russian girls being hot? Well, I don't know any Russian girls but if pro tennis is an indication, then it's tough to argue with him :thumbsup:

The Ukraine girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind.

Moscow girls make me sing and shout. That Georgia's always on my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my mind.

I don't know many either, but a quick Google Images search of "Russian Girls" ... well ... it made me feel like when we climbed the rope in gym class. :blush:

Americans have no fashion sense

\ :w00t:

This coming from a guy who looks like a homeless bum in a custom tailored suit.

Seriously, Thrashers/Caps preseason game....OV is running around like a maniac pre-game (just about all players have some sort of pre-game warm-up activity) and one of the security guards asks me "who the hell is that guy?" OV has his doo-rag on, he's missing teeth, looks like he hasn't shaved in a week. I reply "That's the best hockey player in the world," to which she replies "Oh, I thought one of the crazys that live under the overpass snuck in and was going to have him kicked out."

Don't get me wrong. I've got no problem with him being proud of his homeland. I just don't think he needs to put down Americans to do it.

Here is a scan of the article that I found, by the way. (http://ovechkinfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2630) It is worth the read. Even if it is only two pages, at least the magazine is giving hockey some attention.

Archived