A couple of notes on Crosby from HNiC...

LabattBlue

During the intermission break on one of the games last night, Milbury was ripping on Crosby for "living with the owners family" and something about his father taking him to or being at practice every day(I wasn't listening real close and may not have this part correct). It seemed like he was hinting that Crosby has some growing up to do.

If Crosby isn't mature enough at 21 to get his own place, be like a lot of other young NHL'ers and rent a place with a teammmate or two.

Regardless, I found the discussion to be pretty funny. :D

During the intermission break on one of the games last night, Milbury was ripping on Crosby for "living with the owners family" and something about his father taking him to or being at practice every day(I wasn't listening real close and may not have this part correct). It seemed like he was hinting that Crosby has some growing up to do.

If Crosby isn't mature enough at 21 to get his own place, be like a lot of other young NHL'ers and rent a place with a teammmate or two.

Regardless, I found the discussion to be pretty funny. :D

Yeah, I saw this too. You're right on both parts, and I think Milbury was trying to show that his growth as an adult was being stunted. I also think that Milbury was trying to imply that since Crosby lived with the Owner (Lemieux), that his captaincy could somehow be questioned by the other guys in the locker room.

However, I agree more with what Pierre Lebrun said following Milbury in regards to the fact that the Penguins have only 2 really good players, and that Crosby is one of those 2. To be honest, you can't replace veteran leadership like Gary Roberts and Mark Recchi with guys like Miroslav Satan. They have not found a replacement for Ryan Malone and Fleury has been terrible since he returned from injury (pulled against Florida).

I'm wondering how the league will react to Crosby's latest scuffles. I think the NHL obviously wants him wearing the C to show how mature both he and his game is, but I can't imagine they want him to start instigating fights without warning to get the team going. Defending your teammates and providing a spark for the team comes with the territory of wearing the C, but it seems that Crosby is providing a better spark by creating offense rather than dropping the gloves with an unsuspecting player.

Isn't time the NHL embrace OV as the best player in the game? OV should be the face of the NHL. Crosby is a talented player. That said, he may not even be the best player on his team let alone the NHL.

Never happen ... they could not care less who the best player really is ... the guys they push as the face of the league are always going to be North American because the marketing people can't sell a guy who can hardly speak English and people can't pronounce his name. I am not taking shots at Ovechkin and Malkin, I especially love OV and the way he plays, but that is reality. Look at the national exposure Ryan Miller has gotten compared to what Hasek got when he was dominating the league. They want to promote players to whom people can relate ... if you are trying to hook American fans, pushing Eastern Euros in their face as the best players will just reinforce the idea, true or false, that it is a fringe sport played only by people in Canada and other cold places.

Really, it's not just hockey either ... there are a lot of great Latin players in baseball who don't get the exposure they deserve based on their play on the field.

anyone see Crosby's fight last night? McLean of the Panthers was bothering him all game so he just clocked him after jumping him on a faceoff. Crosby didn't square off with him, he just jumped him. Not too

impressive. <_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxuLumWjio

Yup, add another incident to what is becoming a string of embarassing, cowardly incidents by the Golden Boy himself. Wonder how many it takes before the league penalizes him (additional penalties) or suspends him for the crap he is pulling. I don't think it will ever happen, but it would be nice if they showed some consistency. I mean c'mon, the guy's cowardly fights (punching players who can't anticipate it coming or prepare for, and punching people while teammates are holding them) and temper tantrums have risen to the level of disgusting and embarassing for the league.

Yup, add another incident to what is becoming a string of embarassing, cowardly incidents by the Golden Boy himself. Wonder how many it takes before the league penalizes him (additional penalties) or suspends him for the crap he is pulling. I don't think it will ever happen, but it would be nice if they showed some consistency. I mean c'mon, the guy's cowardly fights (punching players who can't anticipate it coming or prepare for, and punching people while teammates are holding them) and temper tantrums have risen to the level of disgusting and embarassing for the league.

Crosby's gonna end up in huge trouble, pulling stuff like this.

He's clearly getting to the point where someone will pull up a cheap elbow on him some day, and put him out for a few months.

The guy's a douche - I can understand if he's getting frustrated, but he's turning into the second coming of Darius Kasparaitis with his cheap-ass sucker punches and the likes, and at some point another loser like Steve Downey is gonna tag him with a cheapshot of his own.

Hell will freeze over if that day comes, so that leaves Crosby's opponents to do the NHL's job, as Kristian pointed out. Lord help the player who puts Golden Boy on the disabled list, even if it's with a clean hit. The NHL'll probably persue an attempted murder charge.

Hell will freeze over if that day comes, so that leaves Crosby's opponents to do the NHL's job, as Kristian pointed out. Lord help the player who puts Golden Boy on the disabled list, even if it's with a clean hit. The NHL'll probably persue an attempted murder charge.

It will be the first time in NHL history that a player gets banned from playing in the league for life. I agree, it need not be a dirty hit. Crosby keeps it up and I, like Kristian, see a Downie type elbow/cross check to the face happening. You would think that the league would recognize that if they want to protect the Golden Boy, the way to do it is to be consistent with punishment including Crosby when he steps out of line. I have yet to see temper tantrum boy penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct for one of his hissy fits, let alone the cheap shot/low blows he has engaged in recently.

Why the hell did Pittsburgh allow Laraque to leave for Montreal?

I think it made a little difference in Crosby's game last season, but... either way he's the man and he's gonna get the heat - deal with it Sid.

The way I see it - let him keep it up - it will eventually come to a head.

Sid will pull some cheap move that cannot be ignored by the league.

He'll end up being punished in some form.

He is also a big boy, strong and been in the league long enough to be smart enough to deal with all the attention he gets.

Regardless, I don't give a flock about Crosby.

On another note here...i usually don't miss the hot stove or any of the other in-between-period stuff on HNIC.

McClean is must-watch-TV for me. The wit and the no BS style are second to none.

I believe he is the game's most valuable media commodity.

There is no questioning his knowledge of the game and passion for it.

The Hot Stove has been interesting with the addition of Milbury.

He is going to tear Al Strachan's head off at some point this year.

Don't miss it!

Yeah, I saw this too. You're right on both parts, and I think Milbury was trying to show that his growth as an adult was being stunted. I also think that Milbury was trying to imply that since Crosby lived with the Owner (Lemieux), that his captaincy could somehow be questioned by the other guys in the locker room.

However, I agree more with what Pierre Lebrun said following Milbury in regards to the fact that the Penguins have only 2 really good players, and that Crosby is one of those 2. To be honest, you can't replace veteran leadership like Gary Roberts and Mark Recchi with guys like Miroslav Satan. They have not found a replacement for Ryan Malone and Fleury has been terrible since he returned from injury (pulled against Florida).

I'm wondering how the league will react to Crosby's latest scuffles. I think the NHL obviously wants him wearing the C to show how mature both he and his game is, but I can't imagine they want him to start instigating fights without warning to get the team going. Defending your teammates and providing a spark for the team comes with the territory of wearing the C, but it seems that Crosby is providing a better spark by creating offense rather than dropping the gloves with an unsuspecting player.

Those items above and the loss of Gonchar early with the ice time he was getting, Hossa, Laraque and even Conklin to a lesser extent has left this team lost looking for an identity and don't forget they also had to give up Chrisitian and Armstrong to get Hossa at the trading deadline as well, some pretty significant turnover.

Never happen ... they could not care less who the best player really is ... the guys they push as the face of the league are always going to be North American because the marketing people can't sell a guy who can hardly speak English and people can't pronounce his name. I am not taking shots at Ovechkin and Malkin, I especially love OV and the way he plays, but that is reality. Look at the national exposure Ryan Miller has gotten compared to what Hasek got when he was dominating the league. They want to promote players to whom people can relate ... if you are trying to hook American fans, pushing Eastern Euros in their face as the best players will just reinforce the idea, true or false, that it is a fringe sport played only by people in Canada and other cold places. Really, it's not just hockey either ... there are a lot of great Latin players in baseball who don't get the exposure they deserve based on their play on the field.

I think you nailed it with that observation.

What about the possibility of other shoe here dropping, is it remotely possible that they will sway back a little to new NHL vs the New Old NHL that we have now?

The interference and picks away form the play has gotten almost as bad as it ever was.. Maybe just maybe his antics are trying to push the envelope that way, lets not forget his landlord was one of the biggest supporters on the new NHL and was very vocal, supposedly one of the reasons he retired was because of the BS less skilled players were being allowed to do to him :rolleyes: Just another angle to consider in Cindy's antics, maybe the owners pushing the buttons just a bit... Really what does Sid have to lose other than possibly NOT being the NHL's poster boy..... besides I would be all for that as I think even a small shift back to new NHL would favor our favorite team as well the way it's currently comprised......

Isn't time the NHL embrace OV as the best player in the game? OV should be the face of the NHL. Crosby is a talented player. That said, he may not even be the best player on his team let alone the NHL.

I'm on board. I've always liked the physical side of OV's game, to go with his impressive skating and offensive skills.

I wouldn't complain if we got someone like Crosby to feed the puck to Vanek and Pominville, but if I were given my choice I'd take Ovechkin every day of the week.

Crosby didn't square off with him, he just jumped him. Not too

impressive. <_<

Did you see the whole game? Did McClean deserve it?

suspends him for the crap he is pulling.

Isn't he being penalized during the games?

The guy's a douche - I can understand if he's getting frustrated, but he's turning into the second coming of Darius Kasparaitis with his cheap-ass sucker punches and the likes, and at some point another loser like Steve Downey is gonna tag him with a cheapshot of his own.

Haven't we, as Sabres fans, been clamoring for our skill guys to play with more of an edge? An opponent, let alone the cover boy of league does it and we cry foul?

Crosby keeps it up and I, like Kristian, see a Downie type elbow/cross check to the face happening.

If guys like Sean Avery, Claude Lemieux, Scott Nichol, Darius Kasparitis, Ulf Samuelsson, and the like were "allowed" safe passage by their peers, you think the players are all of an sudden going to gang up on Crosby?

Sid will pull some cheap move that cannot be ignored by the league.

He'll end up being punished in some form.

Probably a hefty 3 game suspension. The league's punitive policies are a joke.

Did you see the whole game? Did McClean deserve it?

Haven't we, as Sabres fans, been clamoring for our skill guys to play with more of an edge? An opponent, let alone the cover boy of league does it and we cry foul?

True, and I can appreciate that, but I don't believe the kind of edge I'm looking for personally is hitting a guy three times in the back of the head while he's down on his knees after scoring a goal, with your gloves on to boot.

The original poster must not have watched Coaches Corner because Donny Cherry talked about it and basically said McLean deserved it. On that face-off, McLean slew footed him and finally Crosby fought back. This goes back to why you have enforcers. If he continually gets ran at then someone on the Pens should run the other teams star player. One of these times Crosby is going to break his hand which would be a shame because he is a good player (not better than OV though).

If McLean can dish it out then he is a putz for turtling which is what he did when Crosby dropped the gloves.

The original poster must not have watched Coaches Corner because Donny Cherry talked about it and basically said McLean deserved it. On that face-off, McLean slew footed him and finally Crosby fought back. This goes back to why you have enforcers. If he continually gets ran at then someone on the Pens should run the other teams star player. One of these times Crosby is going to break his hand which would be a shame because he is a good player (not better than OV though).

I'm gald you watched that. I had a feeling that was what happened.

If McLean can dish it out then he is a putz for turtling which is what he did when Crosby dropped the gloves.

Why did the Pens let Laraque get away again? (you can't tell me they couldn't have squeezed him under the cap) Seemed like he was Sid's McSorely.

I'm gald you watched that. I had a feeling that was what happened.

Why did the Pens let Laraque get away again? (you can't tell me they couldn't have squeezed him under the cap) Seemed like he was Sid's McSorely.

If I was a GM with a team that had a need for a goon, and I had Laraque on my roster, there's no way I'd let him walk.

Biggest bad-ass in the league at the moment, and he can even play a decent shift on occasion too.

Archived