I would trade Miller tomorrow if I were GM

zow2

If they could get a semi decent package for him I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately that ridiculous contract would probably scare anyone away. Seriously, they could start Lalime most nights and develop one of the young goalies and get the same production if not better. Miller is just not an elite goalie. He;s not even a good to great goalie. He's just average. And don;t give me these excuses about the defense being weak or the forwards giving the puck away too much. No team plays an error free game. That's hockey. The goalie is there to bail them out make the saves in crunch time. Also, too many redirects just go through Miller. I realize he's super skinny and all but you'd think he could get his body in front of some of them.

I'm just really disappointed in his inconsistency. This isn't just the Devils game but going back a couple years now. HE seems to focus better on the road too. Maybe Lalime needs to start some home games.

If they could get a semi decent package for him I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately that ridiculous contract would probably scare anyone away. Seriously, they could start Lalime most nights and develop one of the young goalies and get the same production if not better. Miller is just not an elite goalie. He;s not even a good to great goalie. He's just average. And don;t give me these excuses about the defense being weak or the forwards giving the puck away too much. No team plays an error free game. That's hockey. The goalie is there to bail them out make the saves in crunch time. Also, too many redirects just go through Miller. I realize he's super skinny and all but you'd think he could get his body in front of some of them.

I'm just really disappointed in his inconsistency. This isn't just the Devils game but going back a couple years now. HE seems to focus better on the road too. Maybe Lalime needs to start some home games.

Miller is far from inconsistent - He's consistently not good enough.

They shoulda let him play this year out to see what he was really made of..I said that many times..You better make sure he is what you think he is before you throw that kinda cash at him..Now he is it no matter what..Get used to it..

...and then everyone would have cried about not signing free agents. You can't have it both ways.

And lets add some more heresy in carryover from the other thread;

If I were coach and supposedly sitting the lead leading scorer to call him out I would sit my frachise paid goalie for 3 games or would have pulled him last night after 4th or 5th goal to send the message to the whole team, doesn't matter who you are if your not playing and practicing up to snuff your not playing..

Hell can we send him down to Minors for a conditioning stint something drastic / anything to wake this team up..... and NO if it exposes him to be picked by another team the way he's played right about now I don't care, I know for sure it would send a message.

...and then everyone would have cried about not signing free agents. You can't have it both ways.

They already proved they dont do that with their star players...They already had it one way....They shoulda kept on that train..Really the only one they signed that is making a difference is Vanek and they were forced to on that one..LOL

They already proved they dont do that with their star players...They already had it one way....They shoulda kept on that train..Really the only one they signed that is making a difference is Vanek and they were forced to on that one..LOL

They weren't forced to match Edmonton's offer. Vanek's agent set out to make his client as much money as possible, which he did by the way. I don't think there was a doubt in LQ's and Darcy's mind that Vanek would be signed, but they definetly didn't want to pay that much.

They weren't forced to match Edmonton's offer. Vanek's agent set out to make his client as much money as possible, which he did by the way. I don't think there was a doubt in LQ's and Darcy's mind that Vanek would be signed, but they definetly didn't want to pay that much.

You dont think they were forced to match that offer???You dont think that after losing Drury and Briere that they werent forced to sign that???? The only thing missing from the being "forced" to sign him was the wording...The gun to their temples by the forces known as fan and media scrutiny was enough.

And lets add some more heresy in carryover from the other thread;

If I were coach and supposedly sitting the lead leading scorer to call him out I would sit my frachise paid goalie for 3 games or would have pulled him last night after 4th or 5th goal to send the message to the whole team, doesn't matter who you are if your not playing and practicing up to snuff your not playing..

Hell can we send him down to Minors for a conditioning stint something drastic / anything to wake this team up..... and NO if it exposes him to be picked by another team the way he's played right about now I don't care, I know for sure it would send a message.

Couldn't agree more.

He can sit his leading scorer who, more often than not, is the only guy to show up when the rest of the party-boys decide to mail it in from being hungover or whatnot, but his below-average goalie gets a free pass no matter how many soft goals he allows.

This team has much bigger problems than what's visible on the ice.

You dont think they were forced to match that offer???You dont think that after losing Drury and Briere that they werent forced to sign that???? The only thing missing from the being "forced" to sign him was the wording...The gun to their temples by the forces known as fan and media scrutiny was enough.

The plan was to do whatever it took to keep Vanek and that's what happened. It wasn't a reaction to a Bucky Gleason column.

The plan was to do whatever it took to keep Vanek and that's what happened. It wasn't a reaction to a Bucky Gleason column.

If the plan was to keep him at any cost, they should have talked to him right after Horton signed a full week before free agency. Of course everyone here thinks that Horton's agent was an idiot and Vanek's was a genius.

If they were proactive they would have had him for at least $2 million per year less.....

So you dont think they were forced to sign him? If they didnt sign him they lost him..SO if they wanted to keep him they were forced to sign him in that 7 day period correct?? So they were in essence forced..

If the plan was to keep him at any cost, they should have talked to him right after Horton signed a full week before free agency. Of course everyone here thinks that Horton's agent was an idiot and Vanek's was a genius.

If they were proactive they would have had him for at least $2 million per year less.....

I can agree with that. But from what I've heard from Darcy is that his agent would not talk to them and was determined to get an offer from another team. It was a shrewd move as far as I am concered cause it totally worked. I guess you can argue that if you don't have the reputation of being cheap, this doesn't happen. But it most certainly did, and job well done.

So you dont think they were forced to sign him? If they didnt sign him they lost him..SO if they wanted to keep him they were forced to sign him in that 7 day period correct?? So they were in essence forced..

Well any GM is forced to make a decision on a player, but not forced to sign anyone. Your first post was taking credit away from Darcy and LQ for signing Vanek to Kevin Lowe's deal (which doesn't look that outrageous now) instead of taking four first round draft picks from the Oilers.

As I recall, there were more than a few posters here that were fairly upset with Vanek and wished we had the 4 picks instead last year around this time.

Well any GM is forced to make a decision on a player, but not forced to sign anyone. Your first post was taking credit away from Darcy and LQ for signing Vanek to Kevin Lowe's deal (which doesn't look that outrageous now) instead of taking four first round draft picks from the Oilers.

As I recall, there were more than a few posters here that were fairly upset with Vanek and wished we had the 4 picks instead last year around this time.

The only credit they deserve in that was actually copying the contract and signing it..If it was up to them with a restricted free agent they wouldve waited till the last possible second to try and negotiate..They lucked into the value of the contract, if anyone deserves the credit for this contract it should be Kevin Lowe..

I think Lalime is better.

I'd say that when Miller has one of his good games, he is better than Lalime's best. When he has one of his bad games, he may be a little worse than Lalime's bad. Overall, I'd say Miller has a little higher mean (average), but a lot higher variance (spread) in his level of play.

The only credit they deserve in that was actually copying the contract and signing it..If it was up to them with a restricted free agent they wouldve waited till the last possible second to try and negotiate..They lucked into the value of the contract, if anyone deserves the credit for this contract it should be Kevin Lowe..

So what about the decision to sign him instead of taking the picks? Four first rounders is extremely tempting, especially for a guy like Darcy that loves the draft.

Archived