Fire Quinn

bottlecap

Come on guys, this is guy you all hate. Admit it. The best thing he ever did

was the patented redesign of the NHL net. He's done nothing for the Sabres

except cut them down.

I just posted in another thread - it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the axe fell on Darcy and Quinn took over the GM duties.

You all realize Quinn was given a chunk of ownership in the team? He's not going anywhere.

Correct.

More broadly, the hyperventilating "fire X" threads that have sprung up lately are a complete waste of pixels. None of Quinn, Darcy or Lindy is going anywhere. What will happen is the following:

1. We are going to miss the playoffs again this year.

2. We are going to dump several of our veterans with expiring contracts (Max, Connolly, Kotalik, Spacek, possibly Teppo) and possibly Tallinder at the deadline to playoff teams in exchange for picks and prospects.

3. As a result of #2 plus the expiration of said contracts, we will have a substantial amount of budget room in the offseason to bring in more leadership and a good center.

4. We will be better next year.

5. We will continue to be haunted by the July 2007 CF for years.

3. As a result of #2 plus the expiration of said contracts, we will have a substantial amount of budget room in the offseason to bring in more leadership and a good center.

3a. The Sabres will not spend any of this money, rather locking up mediocre players to long term contracts, leaving the franchise is a state of status-whoa-is-us.

3a. The Sabres will not spend any of this money, rather locking up mediocre players to long term contracts, leaving the franchise is a state of status-whoa-is-us.

I take your point to mean that last summer's efforts may have been OK but didn't get us what we really needed -- which I generally agree with. (I think last summer's contract extensions were generally good and correct, but inadequate).

But interpreting your post literally makes me ask: who would they extend? The RFAs after the season are MacArthur, Mancari, Kaleta, Stafford and Sekera. Of those, Sekera will probably get a decent contract, but not a huge one. The rest of them won't cost much if we decide to keep them. The FAs entering the final year of their contracts next year (and thus eligible to be extended this summer) are Paille, Mair, Lydman, Tallinder, Paetsch and Weber. Of those, Lydman is the only one that we would consider giving a decent contract to. The others will be let go or re-signed cheaply.

Bottom line is that I think it's reasonable to expect at least 2 impact players to be brought in from outside the organization this summer. Until then? It's winter in WNY.

But interpreting your post literally makes me ask: who would they extend? The RFAs after the season are MacArthur, Mancari, Kaleta, Stafford and Sekera. Of those, Sekera will probably get a decent contract, but not a huge one. The rest of them won't cost much if we decide to keep them. The FAs entering the final year of their contracts next year (and thus eligible to be extended this summer) are Paille, Mair, Lydman, Tallinder, Paetsch and Weber. Of those, Lydman is the only one that we would consider giving a decent contract to. The others will be let go or re-signed cheaply.

Buffalo has become last stop on the train to Willoughby for many of the vet players, who'd rather be somewhere else. Anywhere else. Maybe including Capt. Rivet at this point.

Pierre LeBrun from ESPN.com had an interesting column about the "Limbo Club" of unsigned veterans still waiting for a call from someone, and how they are most likely victims of the cap. Anyone think one or two of these guys would help a little?

Limbo as in veteran players who remain without an NHL job, the likes of Yanic Perreault, Bryan Smolinski, Jocelyn Thibault, Glen Murray, Kevyn Adams, Martin Lapointe and Dan Cloutier -- brand names that got lost in the shuffle this past offseason.

-snip-

Bryan Berard went to Russia, Martin Gelinas and Curtis Brown to Switzerland, Mike Johnson and Jon Klemm to Germany, Martin Rucinsky back home to the Czech Republic and Alexei Zhitnik to his native Russia.

LINK

Correct.

More broadly, the hyperventilating "fire X" threads that have sprung up lately are a complete waste of pixels. None of Quinn, Darcy or Lindy is going anywhere. What will happen is the following:

2. We are going to dump several of our veterans with expiring contracts (Max, Connolly, Kotalik, Spacek, possibly Teppo) and possibly Tallinder at the deadline to playoff teams in exchange for picks and prospects.

Does anyone know where to find what picks we have going forward?

Do we really think that the "core" is helped by prospects?

If you take out the salary caps for Max, Tim, Ales, Spach, and teppo you gain 13 million.

If you add back in increases due to Mancari, Stafford, Sekera, and Kaleta (assuming they stay) you lose 2 million.

And add back in increases to Pommers and Miller you lose 7.85 million.

Your net gain is 3.15 million of "saved" space. Add the 7 million to the cap. That's 10 mill roughly. Is that enough to get back 3 forwards and 2 defenseman? IMHO, NO.

But we need a vet center don't we? You don't expect Zaggy to be the impact player? do U?

Oh, you're looking for a team that has a chance to win? Ok, add a 35 year old on a vet minimum 1 year contract if that makes you happy. ;)

Pierre LeBrun from ESPN.com had an interesting column about the "Limbo Club" of unsigned veterans still waiting for a call from someone, and how they are most likely victims of the cap. Anyone think one or two of these guys would help a little?

Limbo as in veteran players who remain without an NHL job, the likes of Yanic Perreault, Bryan Smolinski, Jocelyn Thibault, Glen Murray, Kevyn Adams, Martin Lapointe and Dan Cloutier -- brand names that got lost in the shuffle this past offseason.

-snip-

Bryan Berard went to Russia, Martin Gelinas and Curtis Brown to Switzerland, Mike Johnson and Jon Klemm to Germany, Martin Rucinsky back home to the Czech Republic and Alexei Zhitnik to his native Russia.

LINK

At the very least Darcy shouldve tried to bring in Perrault..The only reason he hasnt to this point is roster arrogance

Why is that reasonable?

See below.

Do we really think that the "core" is helped by prospects?

If you take out the salary caps for Max, Tim, Ales, Spach, and teppo you gain 13 million.

If you add back in increases due to Mancari, Stafford, Sekera, and Kaleta (assuming they stay) you lose 2 million.

And add back in increases to Pommers and Miller you lose 7.85 million.

Your net gain is 3.15 million of "saved" space. Add the 7 million to the cap. That's 10 mill roughly. Is that enough to get back 3 forwards and 2 defenseman? IMHO, NO.

I don't disagree that prospects aren't what we need, but teams trading with us at the deadline aren't going to give us what we need -- those teams are looking to add a piece for a playoff run. They aren't going to give us a #1 or #2 center, because that player is needed for the playoff run.

Here's the way I look at it: next year, with all UFAs and RFAs gone, we have 7 forwards and 5 D (and 2 goalies) under contract at a total of about $41MM (cash, not cap space -- and I think we have to remember that they don't want to spend more than the $50MM they are already spending). If we dump Tallinder, it's 7 forwards and 4 D for $38MM. Those players are:

Vanek

Roy

Pommer

Hecht

Gaustad

Paille

Mair

Rivet

Lydman

Paetsch

Weber

I think they will bring back Kaleta and Petey at about $600K each and Sekera at about $2MM. That gives us about $9 MM to sign 4 forwards and 2 defensemen (assuming we want to carry one extra forward and one extra defenseman). If 2 of the forwards come from Stafford/MacArthur/Mancari, they will cost about $1.5 million for the 2 of them, which takes us down to $7.5 million left for 2 forwards and 2 defensemen. If 2 of those 4 players are young/cheap, that will leave about $6.5MM left for 1 or 2 impact vets. Not enough for the high end of the UFA class, but definitely enough for a couple of good players.

As for why it's reasonable to expect them to do so: they want to win as much as we want them to, and they are not blind to what's going on. What they are is handcuffed by the expensive contracts given to Connolly, Max and Tallinder, which no one will take off their hands at this point, combined with their internal budget limit.

Correct.

What team in this league is going to give up anything for any of those players? you can't just give away garbage and expect anything in return. Kotalik, Spacek, and maybe Teppo might get you some late round picks to playoff teams, but thats a reach. Max has virtually no value on the trade market, and the only way he goes anywhere is if his contract is bought out or he is waived this season. Connolly might have value if he could stay on the ice for more then 10 games at a time. He is too much of a gamble for a team to take on for the playoffs, hoping he will have an impact. As for Tallinder, see Max above

And what in the past would make anyone believe that Darcy would then go and use any of that money to enter the FA market? If you want to know who will fill the lineup next year and take some of that cap space, Check out a Portland game

Firing Quinn is going to do nothing to the quality of play on the ice right now.

-snip-

LINK

I'd be fine w/ Perrault in a Sabres' sweater. He'd bring a strong presence on the faceoff, be an upgrade at #2 when Timmy is out (which is pretty sad, because Perrault is not #2 center material), and help on PK.

The rest, not so much.

If i'm not mistaken, before Tommy G purchased the Buffalo Sabres he spoke with one of his good friends Scotty Bowman. Bowman advised him that he needs to get Quinn on board if he want's to be successful business wise.

I think many people just don't seem to understand the disadvantage of a small market club. Quinn helps to bring the $$$ in that in turn keeps the Buffalo Sabres playing in Buffalo.

If i'm not mistaken, before Tommy G purchased the Buffalo Sabres he spoke with one of his good friends Scotty Bowman. Bowman advised him that he needs to get Quinn on board if he want's to be successful business wise.

I think many people just don't seem to understand the disadvantage of a small market club. Quinn helps to bring the $$$ in that in turn keeps the Buffalo Sabres playing in Buffalo.

While Scotty Bowman might be a good coach, I'm not sure how that qualifies him for recommending personnel for the Sabres front office?

Sorry, but I think Quinn eats soup with a fork and his track record in his first stint here should've told Tommy G all he needed to know about him.

I think many people just don't seem to understand the disadvantage of a small market club.

I'm so humbled to be in your presence. Please explain it to me and the rest of the commoners, oh Great Poobah!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Archived