Will the real Sabres please stand up...

LabattBlue

41 members have voted

1. 1. So which team is closest to what we will see at seasons end?

• 6-0-2 start to the season(very good in their own zone)
    • 2-3-2 since then(a lot like last season)
    • Somewhere in between( but making the playoffs)

It is not good when the guy that the majority(including myself) wants gone(The Skill), has arguably been the best forward on the team the last couple of games and probably our best effort guy(Paille) is in the coaches doghouse. In addition, Miller is as inconsistent as ever, Lindy still doesn't like backup goalies, Mair all of a sudden thinks he is a skilled center and Pominville & Roy can't find their games...yet.

They are 5 games from the quarter pole and I'll be interested to see where they are at, come that time.

I think they are capable of playing like they did in first eight games of the season, but a couple of things will continue to hold them back:

1) They're using a new system that is very different from what they played before. Because of that, they slip back into old habits easily, especially against opponents that they feel they can run-and-gun.

2) Lack of consistency in lines due to a major rash of injuries at the start of the year. Some of the current lines don't have chemistry ... yet?

3) Roy and Pommer are in a bit of a "sophomore slump" (not really sophomores, per se, but you get my point.) They will snap out of it.

I'm hoping after another 14 games, we'll have seen more consistent lines and a little more faith in their system (they keep winning when the play it and losing it when they don't.) If they are still playing last year's game at that point, then I'll start to worry.

I think they are capable of playing like they did in first eight games of the season, but a couple of things will continue to hold them back:

1) They're using a new system that is very different from what they played before. Because of that, they slip back into old habits easily, especially against opponents that they feel they can run-and-gun.

2) Lack of consistency in lines due to a major rash of injuries at the start of the year. Some of the current lines don't have chemistry ... yet?

3) Roy and Pommer are in a bit of a "sophomore slump" (not really sophomores, per se, but you get my point.) They will snap out of it.

I'm hoping after another 14 games, we'll have seen more consistent lines and a little more faith in their system (they keep winning when the play it and losing it when they don't.) If they are still playing last year's game at that point, then I'll start to worry.

Agree, I don't like what I'm seeing right now but will reserve any long term assessment until they hit the 25 game mark. I think the pendulum is still swinging too much for my liking but will settle somewhere in the center. We'll see if that means playoffs or not.

It is not good when the guy that the majority(including myself) wants gone(The Skill), has arguably been the best forward on the team the last couple of games and probably our best effort guy(Paille) is in the coaches doghouse. In addition, Miller is as inconsistent as ever, Lindy still doesn't like backup goalies, Mair all of a sudden thinks he is a skilled center and Pominville & Roy can't find their games...yet.

They are 5 games from the quarter pole and I'll be interested to see where they are at, come that time.

I didn't vote because I think way too much is put into the first quarter of the season. The trick is to position yourself so that you are not too far behind so as not to have to burn too much energy catching up. That being said;

1) I'm not sure many doubted that when playing "The Skill" at least gives the impression he is one of the top forwards because his game has a certain "fan appeal."

2) Forgive me for the "I told you so" but Paille continues to show the inconsistency that has always made him overrated in my book.

3) Lalime is on pace to play 17 games which I think is about right. I have no problem with the logic of Ruff's decisions relative to goaltender.

4) Ruff wants Max gone. It is a big reason why he was seething Friday when talking to the media about roster moves. Right now the third line is sort of like purgatory on this team. It serves no role other then a place for players that can't crack the top six. That will change before the season is over.

5) We have no choice but to believe that Roy and Pominville are, as Free said, in a sophmore slump. History tells us they will.

One off the topic question,

If Blake Wheeler idolized Vanek and wanted to stay in the Northeast, why is he with Boston and not Buffalo?

http://www.buffalonews.com/buffalosabres/story/488209.html

2) Forgive me for the "I told you so" but Paille continues to show the inconsistency that has always made him overrated in my book.

8209.html[/url]

Define overrated? It can't be related to pay. Do you believe he should be in the press box instead of Kaleta? Mair? Max? I'm not saying he is a top 6 forward on this team and this may be sacrilegious around here, but I don't see anyone ragging on Gaustad. Now there is a guy who is overrated in terms of his pay. If push came to shove, I'd take Paille and his 1.1 cap hit over Gaustad and his 2.3 cap hit every day of the week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to get rid of Gaustad, but some guys on this team get a free pass when it comes to analyzing their play.

Define overrated? It can't be related to pay. Do you believe he should be in the press box instead of Kaleta? Mair? Max? I'm not saying he is a top 6 forward on this team and this may be sacrilegious around here, but I don't see anyone ragging on Gaustad. Now there is a guy who is overrated in terms of his pay. If push came to shove, I'd take Paille and his 1.1 cap hit over Gaustad and his 2.3 cap hit every day of the week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to get rid of Gaustad, but some guys on this team get a free pass when it comes to analyzing their play.

Over rated as in there are some who think he is a 25 - 30 goal scorer who was going to get a huge offer in restricted free agency.

I would have played him over Max but I really don't think that's Lindy's call. I really think they are showcasing him.

I wouldn't have played him over Mair or Kaletta. Paille played terrible Friday and while Mair is playing out of his role, they need him at center at least until Hecht and Gaustad both feel their injuries no longer inhibit their ability to take face offs effectively.

I like Gaustad a lot and Hecht for that matter but I feel both are over paid.

Good. I thought he was the one Sabre that played with heart and grit last night.

agreed, there was a particular series behind the boston net that really showed his determination. He simply refused to let Boston have the puck and then was able to work it to the point. we need that.

Over rated as in there are some who think he is a 25 - 30 goal scorer who was going to get a huge offer in restricted free agency.

I would have played him over Max but I really don't think that's Lindy's call. I really think they are showcasing him.

I wouldn't have played him over Mair or Kaletta. Paille played terrible Friday and while Mair is playing out of his role, they need him at center at least until Hecht and Gaustad both feel their injuries no longer inhibit their ability to take face offs effectively.

I like Gaustad a lot and Hecht for that matter but I feel both are over paid.

So Paille plays one bad game and he's out of the lineup? I wish that same rule applied to everyone else. <_<

If Gaustad can't show ANY offensive skills(which he rarely does), he is worth 2.3 mil about as much as Drury is worth 7 mil and Campbell whatever the heck Chicago is paying him.

So Paille plays one bad game and he's out of the lineup? I wish that same rule applied to everyone else. <_<

That I couldnt understand either..I am beginning to think Stafford needs to move on....On the other hand I thought Mcarthur was a waste also and he looks pretty decent this year..Maybe he needs more time but I see lazy all over him..

Agreed :thumbsup:

... The trick is to position yourself so that you are not too far behind so as not to have to burn too much energy catching up.

3) Lalime is on pace to play 17 games which I think is about right. I have no problem with the logic of Ruff's decisions relative to goaltender.

4) Ruff wants Max gone. It is a big reason why he was seething Friday when talking to the media about roster moves. Right now the third line is sort of like purgatory on this team. It serves no role other then a place for players that can't crack the top six. That will change before the season is over.

5) We have no choice but to believe that Roy and Pominville are, as Free said, in a sophmore slump.

Agree it's early and we defintely have time to make this work although it is a little maddening with the extent of the swing in their play from such a good looking tight defensive mode team(ala 2-0 devils win) to the free wheeling lost looking team of last 2 games

If Gaustad can't show ANY offensive skills(which he rarely does), he is worth 2.3 mil about as much as Drury is worth 7 mil and Campbell whatever the heck Chicago is paying him.

That I gotta chalk up to Lindy and give him the benefit of the doubt maybe he thinks he can get allot more out of him by doing this now early in season.

The good news is that, despite their Jekyll and Hyde start, the team is still tied for the second (or third, depending how Montreal does in their 13th and 14th games) best record in the East at the 14 game mark, just 2 points behind the leader (3 if Montreal wins both games.) Also of note is that they are still 6 points ahead of last year's team at the same mark (also, that team didn't reach 19 points until the 20th game.) So far, their inconsistency has kept them from holding on to the #1 spot and let some other teams (e.g., Boston) creep closer, but it hasn't put them in a hole ... yet.

Its hard to figure what type of team we have this year ..They are really jeckyl and hyde..I voted they are somewhere in between..

I don't think so. What the Sabres are is pretty crystal clear. If Miller plays well and they get scoring from Vanek, Roy and Pominville they win. If Miller doesn't play well or those top three aren't going they clearly don't have the depth to compensate. It would be nice to think that Regier is aware of the issues with the roster and is working the phones and emails trying to bring a player or two to boost up the forward ranks. Sadly, we all know that is not the case.

They have given away two points already to the Thrashers. In a tight Eastern Conference race you can't afford to give points away to teams like the Thrashers.

Personal theory, or is there any inside info to support this?

I don't think so. What the Sabres are is pretty crystal clear. If Miller plays well and they get scoring from Vanek, Roy and Pominville they win. If Miller doesn't play well or those top three aren't going they clearly don't have the depth to compensate. It would be nice to think that Regier is aware of the issues with the roster and is working the phones and emails trying to bring a player or two to boost up the forward ranks. Sadly, we all know that is not the case.

I agree that Miller's play does have an impact, however, what games have they lost where they were playing the defensive system? In each of the losses, one of the coaches has said between periods that they aren't making sure to have that third man high, that they weren't backchecking enough and that they weren't picking up the trailers. You could watch them get caught low, give up odd-man rushes and leave guys wide open to pick up the rebounds. When they do those things correctly, however, they keep down the number of scoring chances and odd-man rushes, and keep the shots to the outside, which makes Ryan's job much easier. Sure, he played well against NJ and Washington, but he also had a lot less to do in each of those games than in most of their losses. Ryan can lose a game, but so can the defense (by that, I mean the team's defense, including forwards.) When the team in front of him does its job, it will make Ryan look very good.

Archived