Kaleta

rickshaw

43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Yeah but Aud is apparently a lawyer and loves to parse words. It's terribly written. The comma is misplaced. Is it a penalty to skate into any opponent?

taro and i, both, i believe. sometimes i think i love to parse words, other times i feel like it's a compulsion i can't control.

i think this exchange serves to clarify for me the reality that, while jumping into another player is not in and of itself a penalty under the league's written rules, the fact remains that in the large majority of situations where one player is jumping into another player in order to deliver a check, the referee will be justified in exercising his discretion and calling a charge.

taro and i, both, i believe. sometimes i think i love to parse words, other times i feel like it's a compulsion i can't control.

i think this exchange serves to clarify for me the reality that, while jumping into another player is not in and of itself a penalty under the league's written rules, the fact remains that in the large majority of situations where one player is jumping into another player in order to deliver a check, the referee will be justified in exercising his discretion and calling a charge.

Nope.

For the record ... it was LEONARD Little of the Rams who killed people drunk driving and then went back out and got another DUI ... as far as I know, former Miami Dolphins guard LARRY Little never killed anyone. But then he played for the Dolphins so ... same thing.

Seriously, DeLuca, to suggest that on ANY LEVEL that Kaleta baiting some guy into taking a swing at him and then not responding says something about his moral character similar to people being killed and gang raped is just silly. In neither case this season when it happened has the other guy squared up, either. Both times the guy grabbed him from behind or the side and just started throwing ... when Witt wanted to go, Kaleta went. When Thorburn wanted to go, Kaleta went. Mara and O'Brien were pissed off and wanted to get their shots in before he could defend himself. I agree, he definitely should have dropped them once O'Brien started, but Mara he had no chance. But cut the kid some slack and let him learn how to do his job in the NHL. He's going to learn some things the hard way. But to suggest that he offends your moral compass to the point that you want him not to wear the uniform and you are bringing up manslaughter and gang rape ... I mean ... really?!?

For the record ... it was LEONARD Little of the Rams who killed people drunk driving and then went back out and got another DUI ... as far as I know, former Miami Dolphins guard LARRY Little never killed anyone. But then he played for the Dolphins so ... same thing.

Seriously, DeLuca, to suggest that on ANY LEVEL that Kaleta baiting some guy into taking a swing at him and then not responding says something about his moral character similar to people being killed and gang raped is just silly. In neither case this season when it happened has the other guy squared up, either. Both times the guy grabbed him from behind or the side and just started throwing ... when Witt wanted to go, Kaleta went. When Thorburn wanted to go, Kaleta went. Mara and O'Brien were pissed off and wanted to get their shots in before he could defend himself. I agree, he definitely should have dropped them once O'Brien started, but Mara he had no chance. But cut the kid some slack and let him learn how to do his job in the NHL. He's going to learn some things the hard way. But to suggest that he offends your moral compass to the point that you want him not to wear the uniform and you are bringing up manslaughter and gang rape ... I mean ... really?!?

Larry? Leonard? I got the L right.

If you followed the thread you will see that I was responding to the thought that whatever Kaleta does is OK as long as the Sabres win. My examples, extreme as they are which is sort of my thing, were to point out that not everything is OK as long as the team wins. Is Kaleta acting like a puss the same as murder or rape? Of course not. They are just extreme examples.

I've looked at the Witt fight, if you can call it a fight. The hugged, fell to the ground and Kaleta buried his face in Witt's chest. They looked like a young married couple. They should have gotten 5 minutes each for cuddling.

The kid's probably just doing what Lindy tells him to do. If that's the case, shouldn't alot of this criticism be aimed at Ruff? I've never heard Ruff criticize this aspect of Kaleta's game. Ruff is about as old school as it gets, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it. If he did you can bet he would have put a stop to it by now.

The kid's probably just doing what Lindy tells him to do. If that's the case, shouldn't alot of this criticism be aimed at Ruff? I've never heard Ruff criticize this aspect of Kaleta's game. Ruff is about as old school as it gets, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it. If he did you can bet he would have put a stop to it by now.

True dat.. He's doing what is expected of him.. If he wasn't he'd either be in the press box or down on the farm...

If you followed the thread you will see that I was responding to the thought that whatever Kaleta does is OK as long as the Sabres win. My examples, extreme as they are which is sort of my thing, were to point out that not everything is OK as long as the team wins. Is Kaleta acting like a puss the same as murder or rape? Of course not. They are just extreme examples.

Yeah, but you are still ignoring the fact that both of those things are criminal acts. What Kaleta does isn't even against the rules, much less the law. Find an example that isn't against the rules, does something to help the team win and shows a lack of character, then you can make your point.

Now, just to show that we aren't on complete opposite side, take this hit:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_f5O53UGo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_f5O53UGo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This, in my opinion, was too close to a cheap shot. If Kaleta were making this type of hit regularly (more than just this one time), I would certainly expect him to get his ass pounded, not to mention suspended. The thing is, what I don't want on this team is a guy who does that type of thing regularly, whether or not he is willing to fight afterwords. If I start seeing more examples like that, I will be the first to call for Kaleta to be let go. However, as long as his hits are clean, then it's the other team's problem if one of their players goes after him.

Kaleta is going to stir things up.

He's an agitator.

By definition he is going to flirt with the boundaries of sportsmanship.

The discipline he needs is to draw more penalties than he takes and distract players form their game.

Get used to it fellas......he'll be the guy spraying snow in the goalies mask, making hits that flirt with major penalties, skating away when somebody drops them, occasionally fighting so he can keep baiting guys into dropping them, whispering #%^$#! from juniors about how his linemates all tagged your sister when she visited Peterborough....you know, agitating stuff.

This, in my opinion, was too close to a cheap shot. If Kaleta were making this type of hit regularly (more than just this one time), I would certainly expect him to get his ass pounded, not to mention suspended. The thing is, what I don't want on this team is a guy who does that type of thing regularly, whether or not he is willing to fight afterwords. If I start seeing more examples like that, I will be the first to call for Kaleta to be let go. However, as long as his hits are clean, then it's the other team's problem if one of their players goes after him.

Good post. I agree. I really don't like head shots.

apropos of the discussion in this thread about whether you can legally leave your skates to deliver a hit.

wow.

And no penalty?

I'm surprised the Anti-Kaletians haven't brought up last night when he tried to bleed after getting high-sticked. How dishonorable! The Kaleta Chronicles Continue. Who's the real Patrick Kaleta?

Archived