• Corey Sarich
    • Rhett Warrener
    • Eric Rasmussen
    • Chris Gratton
    • Jiri Novotny
    • Ty Conklin
    • Dainus Zubrus
    • Brian Campbell

I don't think he ever should have been in the NHL to begin with.

He had some skills, was a good skater, and was usually in position defensively. If he played with an ounce of nastiness or had even a little physical/mean streak he would have been a very good defenseman for a long time.

He had some skills, was a good skater, and was usually in position defensively. If he played with an ounce of nastiness or had even a little physical/mean streak he would have been a very good defenseman for a long time.

It's pretty sad he couldn't even muster up that ounce though, isn't it. He was a big sum biatch.

It's pretty sad he couldn't even muster up that ounce though, isn't it. He was a big sum biatch.

Yeah, he was. I ran into him in the mall here in the Cleveland area and was really surprised at how tall and thin he was. I think he was listed around 6-4, 190 or so.

Funny, I was thinking of this very thought as I was watching the Sabres/Rangers game tonight. I have to vote Drury. I know, I know, we were all pissed at Sabres managment for the way his departure went down, and believe me, I would have preferred he stay a Sabre. That being said, the more that came out afterwards, it sounds like Drury had no intention of staying with the Sabres. IMO the guy really has an ego, and really loved the whole "strong, silent blue collar leader" he was cast in during his time with the Sabres, but I always thought his leadership skills were a tad overrated. I can't remember exactly what he said, after the Sabres got bounced from the playoffs in his final season, but he kind of called out teammates for their lack of grit...and I also remember thinking during that very series, that Drury was invisable when we needed him most. IMO, Dan Briere may not be the great all around player that Drury was, but I think he was much more of leader than Drury. In that whole franchise meltdown, Briere was the guy who got screwed by the Sabres, not Drury. If Drury had truly wanted to stay in Buffalo, he would still be there. He was able to keep his hero persona intact with Sabres fans when he left, because the Sabres gave him a perfect alibi.

Only thing I could ever hate about Danny Briere is that he went to the Flyers.

Drury: I get the feeling that he was overrated and egotistical. The fact that his performance last night, from all accounts, lacked its former luster pretty much makes me glad he left Buffalo.

Kozlov: everyone else said it for me.

McKee: left for more money, only to get snakebitten. (Is it me, or was it bad karma to leave the town you spent most of your career with?)

Conklin: didn't say what Kozlov said, but showed it.

Campbell: greed. (Hope you enjoy your view of the basement, Soupy!)

BTW, inky. Why on earth would you have Curtis Brown on this list? That doesn't make any sense to me at all, given that he's a gentleman off the ice (and that he lost a kid to SIDS).

BTW, inky. Why on earth would you have Curtis Brown on this list? That doesn't make any sense to me at all, given that he's a gentleman off the ice (and that he lost a kid to SIDS).

I was only trying to give an all encompassing list of former Sabres in the NHL. I didn't want to just pick the "easy" choices as controversy would have run amuck.

I voted for Campbell.

Why is Brad May on this list? :angry:

Because he was, and still is, a dirty SOB. He is the ONLY Sabre that I recall as consistently firing shots at an opponent's head AFTER he has him down in a fight. May probably threw 30% more punches when the opponent was on his back than when he was fighting him.

The dumbarse broke his hand suckerpunching Ulfie from behind. Ulfie probably deserved to be hit more than any other player in league history, but friggin' May broke his hand punching him in the face when he was behind him. I lost ALL respect for May that day.

Heck, May was my LEAST FAVORITE CURRENT SABRE OF ALL TIME and that includes Smehlik, Jhoay Juneau, and Jacques Richard. Early in his career I really liked the guy, but he proved through the years he is nothing more than a dirty SOB. I have absolutely no respect for the guy, he deserves less than Barnaby does. Barnaby was a psycho, but he was a "clean" psycho. I'm still not certain to this day as to which is the greater travesty, that Gilbert Perreault doesn't have a Stanley Cup ring and Norm Lacombe has one or that Gilbert Perreault doesn't have one and Brad May does.

Steve Moore. Bertuzzi's an idiot, but there was someone in the background goading him on. I wonder which moron that was? /sarcasm off.

If you'd like more reasons to put May on the list, I'm certain I can come up w/ them.

Kozlov tonight. Hit him hard, guys.

I'd also like to point out that someone has made a perfectly cheesy fan page for the jackass. The only surprise is that it's not on geocities or tripod or something.

Also, it's good to see that Yahoo! Sports still has the appropriate URL for Satan: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/666

Yeah, I'm wasting away a perfectly nice Saturday morning here.

Funny, I was thinking of this very thought as I was watching the Sabres/Rangers game tonight. I have to vote Drury. I know, I know, we were all pissed at Sabres managment for the way his departure went down, and believe me, I would have preferred he stay a Sabre. That being said, the more that came out afterwards, it sounds like Drury had no intention of staying with the Sabres. IMO the guy really has an ego, and really loved the whole "strong, silent blue collar leader" he was cast in during his time with the Sabres, but I always thought his leadership skills were a tad overrated. I can't remember exactly what he said, after the Sabres got bounced from the playoffs in his final season, but he kind of called out teammates for their lack of grit...and I also remember thinking during that very series, that Drury was invisable when we needed him most. IMO, Dan Briere may not be the great all around player that Drury was, but I think he was much more of leader than Drury. In that whole franchise meltdown, Briere was the guy who got screwed by the Sabres, not Drury. If Drury had truly wanted to stay in Buffalo, he would still be there. He was able to keep his hero persona intact with Sabres fans when he left, because the Sabres gave him a perfect alibi.

Only thing I could ever hate about Danny Briere is that he went to the Flyers.

What exactly came out after he left? It seems the only thing people believe that Larry Quinn says is his account of the Drury thing and Quinn himself admits they screwed it up. Show me proof that Drury planned on leaving before Nylander opened a spot for him in New York and I will never mention his name again. What exactly does anyone think he should have said when signing with New York? I really wanted to stay in Buffalo but they screwed up so I guess I'm stuck in New York?

Don't blame Chris that Buffalo' FO didn't have a back up plan. The Rangers wanted Nylander back but when that fell apart they went to plan B. The Sabres? When they realized they screwed up they went into the fetal position.

What exactly came out after he left? It seems the only thing people believe that Larry Quinn says is his account of the Drury thing and Quinn himself admits they screwed it up. Show me proof that Drury planned on leaving before Nylander opened a spot for him in New York and I will never mention his name again. What exactly does anyone think he should have said when signing with New York? I really wanted to stay in Buffalo but they screwed up so I guess I'm stuck in New York?

Don't blame Chris that Buffalo' FO didn't have a back up plan. The Rangers wanted Nylander back but when that fell apart they went to plan B. The Sabres? When they realized they screwed up they went into the fetal position.

Please just let it go.

I distinctly remeber earlier in that season, probably around February or March, Paul Hamilton observing that Drury didn't seem happy in Buffalo at times. Not the city, but with the team, and he was getting frustrated with Lindy's constant line shuffling. At the time, it didn't seem like a big deal, and Hamilton didn't present it as such, but when he left, I heard Drury's frustration with Ruff metnioned again...honestly can't remember where. But, I ain't making it up. I remember it, mainly because it was the first time I had ever heard of any possible locker room unhappiness, with that edition of the Sabres.

Ultimately, that might have had little to do with Drury leaving. I realize that the Sabres FO screwed this up, and believe me, I would have preferred to keep Drury. But, it goes both ways. If Drury had agreed to a deal, in principal, in January (as had been rumoured, something I haven't seen disputed by anyone), and really wanted to stay, why couldn't he have said, "uh, Darcy, I really like it here in Buffalo, do we still have a deal?" I think (and I realize I could be wrong), after that agreement in principal, he had a change of heart, and was glad he hadn't signed anything. The way he spoke after that last playoff loss, I was pretty sure he wasn't going to be back.

Do me a favor, you have the means. Tell me which posters can't let it go. The pro Drury or the anti Drury. Have you asked Ink ti let it go?

I hear ya. I really wasn't making that comment from a mod point of view. Just an opinion.

I was just thinking, the guy's been gone for over a year. We're fresh off a very nice win where the guy we kept burned the guy we lost. :thumbsup: Rather than be pro or anti Drury, let him just become another guy who used to play for us.

I hear ya. I really wasn't making that comment from a mod point of view. Just an opinion.

I was just thinking, the guy's been gone for over a year. We're fresh off a very nice win where the guy we kept burned the guy we lost. :thumbsup: Rather than be pro or anti Drury, let him just become another guy who used to play for us.

I agree with that 100 %....

Here's the difference, I don't bring him up EVER. I only respond to man crushes.

First, that's not true. I did a quick search and in the fourth post on the GDT of Ranger game, your post was I Hate Chris Drury without any prompting. I could go further but I don't feel the urge.

Second, show me the last time I brought him up that wasn't in response to someone else's post.

Archived