Spacek

nfreeman

I was sort of assuming that we were going to let him play out his contract and walk, but he did get the A today. If Tallinder or Lydman were to be traded, I think we'd want to extend Spacek. Otherwise, we'd be in danger of losing both him and Teppo after this year, along with whichever of Tallinder or Lydman is traded.

At this point, I think I'd like to trade Tallinder (ideally in a package with Max for a tough veteran forward who can score) and extend Spacek. That would bring Weber up this year and give us Spacek, Rivet, Lydman, Weber, Sekera and Teppo this year, with the only possible turnover for next year being Teppo (which is far from certain to happen, btw).

Possible? Likely? NFW?

If all those things play out (i.e. the trade with max/tallinder) then it would be ideal if we created as little unrest as possible on the defense. Extend Spacek until you forecast that our young blue liners will be ready.

Unless we plan on being players in the UFA market next off-season to pick up another avail dman. We all know how likely that is...

I think they would extend him unless another team offers him more. I'm not sure they will extend him before the end of the season. Since he's older I'm not sure which way he could go. I'd like to see him stay especially cause he gives good interviews :P .

I was sort of assuming that we were going to let him play out his contract and walk, but he did get the A today. If Tallinder or Lydman were to be traded, I think we'd want to extend Spacek. Otherwise, we'd be in danger of losing both him and Teppo after this year, along with whichever of Tallinder or Lydman is traded.

At this point, I think I'd like to trade Tallinder (ideally in a package with Max for a tough veteran forward who can score) and extend Spacek. That would bring Weber up this year and give us Spacek, Rivet, Lydman, Weber, Sekera and Teppo this year, with the only possible turnover for next year being Teppo (which is far from certain to happen, btw).

Possible? Likely? NFW?

Yes and yes to both above. I do like the idea of the package and I agree as many have said a change of scenary for Max is overdue and unfortunately Tallinder has now fallen into that category for me as well.

It will likely depend on three things:

1) If DR can work out what he considers an acceptable trade that included Hank or Toni.

2) How far along Butler is.

3) If Teppo is ready to retire - in either his own or the team's opinion.

Weber should definitely be ready to come up. If neither #1 or #3 happens, and Butler is ready, then they may do to Butler next year what they are doing to Weber this year (at least #7 in the pecking order, but playing in the minors because of contracts and/or not wanting to waste him as a #7 in the press box) and Spacek will be gone. If Butler isn't ready and either #1 or #3 happens, then Spacek may be extended. If both #1 and #3 happen, then he might get extended even with Butler coming up (in other words, Spacek would fill the slot that TW has marked "Veteran stay at home guy".)

In other words, it's too soon to say because there are a lot of if's that need to play out this season.

What's potentially available next year.

He's certainly valuable but at what cost?

Where's Nathan at?

Let's pick this up in February.

I don't know what Nathan's contract is, but he shouldn't, imo, be a Sabre next year. I still like having Tallinder and Lydman. Next year's D should consist of Rivet, Spacek, Lydman, Sekara, Tallinder, and Weber. Bring in Butler when needed. I think a veteran defenseman should be brought, during the offseason, in if Numminen is gone. That'd give us 8 defenseman. Come on guys, you know the one to depart should be Nathan. Unless management were able to work out a trade or deal that brings in another defenseman along the lines of Rivet, the Sabres need to keep everyone. The exception being Nathan. The guy had his chance and I hate it when he has to play.

25 years old and a plus 3 last year with significant amount of games.

Don't write him off.

Agreed. He is very good in his role, as the no.7. All these other guys that keep getting mentioned - Butler, Weber, etc., - would be best served by staying in the AHL until they are top-6 guys. They should develop much faster and better if they are on the ice, learning how to play in and react to different game situations, instead of sitting in the press box watching other guys play.

I, to a certain degree, stand corrected. Weber just impressed me when he got to play in the latter portion of the 07/08 season. Wasn't he a plus 8 or 10 in that short stint in the NHL?

Spacho, Spacho man...I want to be a Spacho man!!

Spacho, Spacho man...I wanna be a Spacho!!!

Spiderman fan, eh? Or are you a Simpson's fan?

Spiderpig, spiderpig.... (Simpsons)

I, to a certain degree, stand corrected. Weber just impressed me when he got to play in the latter portion of the 07/08 season. Wasn't he a plus 8 or 10 in that short stint in the NHL?

I think we're pretty close on Weber's assessment and impact. I really like what Weber brought over the last 16 games, and think he will be a very good defensemen very soon. I just think that Paetsch is fine where he is, and unless he regresses there's no need to get rid of him. He's a role player, understands his job and does it pretty well, IMO.

Weber will be up here before long, and will push someone like Tallinder or Lydman out of a job, IMO.

EDIT: Ooops, Weber played 16 games and was a +12.

Spiderman fan, eh? Or are you a Simpson's fan?

Spiderpig, spiderpig.... (Simpsons)

I think he's playing off the Village People's "Macho, Macho Man" but I could be wrong.

I think he's playing off the Village People's "Macho, Macho Man" but I could be wrong.
Although I hate myself for knowing this, he's playing off "Macho Man" by the Village People.

Thanks.

I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about that.

You guys should go visit the YMCA on your day off. :wub:

Archived