The players actually like the rotating captaincy

carpandean

Near the bottom:

http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=382568

The captaincy for 2008-09 for now remains a mystery. Ruff said the team has not yet come to a decision, but will continue to look at options.

?We?ve talked about [co-captaincy]. We?ve talked about the rotation,? Ruff said. ?The players have?really bought into that rotation process. They?ve liked it. On the outside it seems like something that isn?t really welcome, but on the inside it?s something that the players, in talking to the key guys, have really liked. They?ve liked the responsibility or the initiative to have a good month to become the captain? we?re going to weigh things through camp and have a discussion on where we want to be.?

I understand the incentive part, which is fine when you have mostly young guys and no strong veteran leader, but I can't believe that they would choose it if there were one or two clear leaders on the team. In retrospect, would they think that having rotating captaincy would have worked better in 2006-07 (ignoring the fact that we wouldn't have had talk about losing our co-captains)? I doubt it. I definitely think it's time for Pommer-Roy co-captains. They're both signed long term. Give it to them and let's see what they do with it.

Near the bottom:

I understand the incentive part, which is fine when you have mostly young guys and no strong veteran leader, but I can't believe that they would choose it if there were one or two clear leaders on the team. In retrospect, would they think that having rotating captaincy would have worked better in 2006-07 (ignoring the fact that we wouldn't have had talk about losing our co-captains)? I doubt it. I definitely think it's time for Pommer-Roy co-captains. They're both signed long term. Give it to them and let's see what they do with it.

I'd have to agree. Having the captaincy rotate between several different players almost says that there isn't one true leader/captain. We're not inside the locker room, so maybe the players know who the real leader is, but it kinda displays to everyone else that there isn't a strong veteran leader.

Near the bottom:

I not sure if that's fine, smacks a little too much like indecision. I wonder how many other league's or teams these players came up through did this kind of thing ? Typically the captain represents the personaility/soul of the team how does that develop happen if that role model changes all the time. :unsure:

I'm not a big fan of the rotating captaincy, because there's not a whole lot of continuity, but I'm also not that big on there being one leader on the team and only the captain can truly lead. I think you can have a lot of leaders, but the rotating captaincy kind of is annoying for us the fans, even though the players may like it. My opinion is that there are three guys who you can/should give letters to. Teppo, Pominville, and Hecht. Who gets which letter is not that important, but I think you give letters to those three guys. If it were me, I'd give Teppo the C, Pominville and Hecht the As, but anyone of those three could be the captain, so I'm fine so long as those three are wearing letters.

I not sure if that's fine, smacks a little too much like indecision.

Yeah, that was kind of a tongue-in-cheek "fine", being flippant about last season. My point was more focused on the fact that we shouldn't do it this year. I do agree with SF526 that you don't need to have a letter to be a leader. However, I do think that the "C" should be more than just a month-by-month reward. If you want to do that the second "A" (if you have co-captains, or both if you have one captain), that's cool with me, but the "C" should be earned over more than just a month.

I can't decide. Maybe Roy. He's ready to become a bonifide star in this league. He's not a bad role model. Who ever it is is fine with me. Just pick already fer cryin aht laud it so we can end this conversation though.

Obviously it should be Vanek.

/sarcasm

:ph34r:

Yeah, that was kind of a tongue-in-cheek "fine", being flippant about last season. My point was more focused on the fact that we shouldn't do it this year. I do agree with SF526 that you don't need to have a letter to be a leader. However, I do think that the "C" should be more than just a month-by-month reward. If you want to do that the second "A" (if you have co-captains, or both if you have one captain), that's cool with me, but the "C" should be earned over more than just a month.

Yeah I thought that's what you meant. I agree with you on the 'A' s possibly rotating but the C needs to be stable. lets' not forget it's the lone person who can legitimately question calls and jaw with the Referee's during the course of the game so with the way these Ref's can be some time it helps to have someone who is respected and handles himself well during the heat and emotions of the game.

Are you allowed only one C or like fottball can you have a captain for offense(forwards) and defense ? If so then Teppo and Pominville are my choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this posted on the Sabres Edge blog:

As you can read in Sunday's sports section, Lindy Ruff is once again pondering using a monthly rotation of captains this season. Players I talked to on the issue are willing to defer to Ruff but with virtually the entire team back from last year, there's definitely sentiment for Ruff to make a choice and stick with it too.

LINK

If you read the entire article(not just what is quoted), you will see that there are some players who feel just that the rotating C is not the best way to go and I'm going to assumg that for the article that not every player was interviewed.

That was my point. I hate the rotating captaincy. I'd rather see them pick one, or even go back to the "alternating captains" system they used when "they who shall not be named" were still here.

I think you have to give the "C" to Teppo, and the "A" to Rivet, Spacek, or Lydman permanently. The only reason Teppo was brought on for another season is because he is a great leader on the ice. Besides, if this team wants to concentrate on defense, I think the captaincy should be occupied on a full time basis by a defenseman. I'm sure the players love the ability to be able to play for the captaincy from month to month. But look how that worked out last year.

The problem is that the real leader on this team last year, Miller, is the last guy that should have to deal with answering the questions that a captain would have to answer. To me, the rotating captaincy is a way to hide that Miller is really the vocal leader of this team. While it looks like each guy wearing the "C" is stepping up for a month, I would guess that Ryan does most of the talking during the intermissions. Couple that responsibility with starting over 70 games and I'd say that that leads to a pretty stressful season. This is just an assumption, but I would think that Ryan, and the rest of the team, could use a permanent leader to look to. Therefore, worrying about captaincy is not compounding on worrying about winning games.

I think you have to give the "C" to Teppo, and the "A" to Rivet, Spacek, or Lydman permanently. The only reason Teppo was brought on for another season is because he is a great leader on the ice. Besides, if this team wants to concentrate on defense, I think the captaincy should be occupied on a full time basis by a defenseman. I'm sure the players love the ability to be able to play for the captaincy from month to month. But look how that worked out last year.

The problem is that the real leader on this team last year, Miller, is the last guy that should have to deal with answering the questions that a captain would have to answer. To me, the rotating captaincy is a way to hide that Miller is really the vocal leader of this team. While it looks like each guy wearing the "C" is stepping up for a month, I would guess that Ryan does most of the talking during the intermissions. Couple that responsibility with starting over 70 games and I'd say that that leads to a pretty stressful season. This is just an assumption, but I would think that Ryan, and the rest of the team, could use a permanent leader to look to. Therefore, worrying about captaincy is not compounding on worrying about winning games.

You're right, and how often exactly is pro sports about what the players like? Virtually never, which is another example of why the rotating farce must go.

Seems like the only ones who really hate this rotating captancy and think it is so important to have a constant captain are the fans

I really think that having the C and the A's is over rated in its importance. If you are a true leader, you are going to be one in the lockerroom no matter what is sewn onto the front of your jersey.

Seems like the only ones who really hate this rotating captancy and think it is so important to have a constant captain are the fans

I really think that having the C and the A's is over rated in its importance. If you are a true leader, you are going to be one in the lockerroom no matter what is sewn onto the front of your jersey.

I'm with you 100% on this one. Those letter don't suddenly make the guy step up and talk. So now they can talk to the refs, great. Actually, since that's what the letter allows them to do, we should put one on Spacek. The refs will be laughing when they hear him talk, it'll get them on our side.

Archived