The official what number will Gerbe wear thread

carpandean

Today, I went to add a Gerbe character to my Sabres in NHL08 and I realized that I didn't know what number to give him. He wore #9 at BC, but our other little guy gets dibs on that. So, what number will he wear (I assume he'll crack the preseason lineup)?

I ended up going with 8. We have 9, 19 and 29, so he'd have to go 39 or higher to get a 9. Gretzky is selfishly hording 99, so no joy there. Something just seemed right about #8.

Funny side note: you have to choose from a short (and really lame) list of play-by-play names for created characters, so naturally I chose "Little Buddy" for Gerbe. I laughed every time he got the puck in his first game. Also, the game would let me make him any shorter than 5' 7"; what's up with that?

It's about f**king time. All the unofficial "what number will Gerbe wear" threads were driving me friggin nuts. Good Job. Way to put all those unofficial SOB's in their place. :thumbsup:

I know, seriously. How many times do I have to say it: if you're going to start a "what number will Gerbe wear" thread, make it official! Sheesh.

Oh, and ...

:censored: SMART ASS!

It's about f**king time. All the unofficial "what number will Gerbe wear" threads were driving me friggin nuts. Good Job. Way to put all those unofficial SOB's in their place. :thumbsup:

1/2

quality stuff there.

#8 has some logic to it, proximate as it is to his presumably preferred #9, but, much as i hate to say it, zagrapan might have dibs on #8.

post-760-1221824959_thumbjpg

then again, what better way to let a guy know that he doesn't really factor into your franchise's long-term plans than to give his big club # to a new prospect?

and as to #39, it's going to the rafters, so no one should be wearing it.

but wouldn't there be some potential poetry if gerbe wore #49? after all, our last super shifty midget wore #48.

Have they put LaFontaine's number in the rafters? I'm having a brain freeze right and can't remember. LaFontaine will always be my favorite Sabre, but I have a lot of excitement for Gerbe. I say if it's available, give him number 16! I'm really hoping he's on the team this year, but I do understand the benefits of him playing for Portland.

People, don't slam me if LaFontaine's number is in the rafters. I got no sleep last night. For some reason my 10 month old daughter was wide awake and in a good mood at 2 a.m. So I pretty much had to play her. I can't wait until she can fit into a toddler size Sabres jersey! About 1 year an 2 months to go...roughly!

and as to #39, it's going to the rafters, so no one should be wearing it.

Good point. I wasn't actually suggesting #39, just that he'd have to go to at least #39, so I didn't think about who had worn that in the past.

Didn't know Zags wore #8, though I do believe Gerbe has a better shot of making the team at this point. Nobody has ever worn #88, though. I think he has the personality for a number like that (don't ask me what that means exactly, but for some reason, I think a #88 should have a strong personality.)

Interesting point about #49: it's the lowest number never worn by a Sabre (see here.)

By the way, the retired Sabres jerseys are: 2 (Horton), 7 (Martin), 11 (Perreault), 14 (Robert), 16 (LaFontaine), 18 (Gare) and 99 (Gretzky - league wide).

By the way, the retired Sabres jerseys are: 2 (Horton), 7 (Martin), 11 (Perreault), 14 (Robert), 16 (LaFontaine), 18 (Gare) and 99 (Gretzky - league wide).

Don't get me started on a Friday as to whose numbers should be retired...

Horton YES

Perreault YES

Hasek very soon should be YES

Matin NO

Robert NO

Gare NO

LaFontaine NO

Show me 1/2? DING DING DING...#1 answer on the board!

I'd hate to say it, but I made that same joke a week or two ago on here. It was incredibly cheesey, but I couldn't resist. So now people are stealing my material. Why can't it still be thursday? :death:

Maybe Gerbe could find a way to work his height into his number. I want to see him skating out there wearing 49. Actually, that might be a little too high, maybe something in the 30s.

I'd hate to say it, but I made that same joke a week or two ago on here. It was incredibly cheesey, but I couldn't resist. So now people are stealing my material. Why can't it still be thursday? :death:

Maybe Gerbe could find a way to work his height into his number. I want to see him skating out there wearing 49. Actually, that might be a little too high, maybe something in the 30s.

Never saw it. All my material is original. :D

PS Quit your complaining or I'll re-open the complaint thread just for you. :nana:

can't steal something I never saw! :nana:

Archived