The official what number will Gerbe wear thread

carpandean

we were down at the arena for the puck drop event. i failed to pick up one of the printouts they had reflecting who was wearing what numbers for which squad.

anyway, i was keen to figure out who gerbe was, and initially had him pegged as #8 on the gold team. not so. from what i heard later, it turned out #8 in gold was paul byron (who goes 5'8" and 135#). i believe that gerbe wore #37 for the gold team. and while he is obviously a little shorter than byron (but who knows if byron's 5'8" is legit), gerbe's a much thicker guy and looked a whole lot stronger, and faster, on his skates than byron.

Gerbe, Ennis & Byron(listed heights...5'5", 5'9" & 5'9") could comprise quite the forward line in a few years. Think of the nickname potential. :D

These media guide games will be fun over the next few years. Watch and see how many times Gerbe's height changes. Also notice how not once will his actual height ever be listed.

Aud Smell, its amazing how much difference two years makes for guys their age. Its almost crazy to see how much bigger a lot of the college guys get when they return for their sophomore season. Yes, you even notice it with guys like Gerbe.

Aud Smell, its amazing how much difference two years makes for guys their age. Its almost crazy to see how much bigger a lot of the college guys get when they return for their sophomore season. Yes, you even notice it with guys like Gerbe.

i don't doubt it for a minute.

having seen gerbe on the ice on saturday, i just don't think his size will necessarily keep him out of the league. now, it remains to be seen whether he can take his game to where it needs to be to make it in the league. my only point is that i don't think his diminutive stature will hold him back.

According to the media guide released today....you are correct, it is offical. 42.

Cheesey hockey number....

I wouldn't say it's "official". I'm sure after the season he will end up with #19 and if Connolly is re-signed long term, he may change it again. Luke Adam won't be 72 his entire career. And Tim Kennedy is listed as #58 in training camp but if he gets a call up to Buffalo during the season, he'll be #13. Idk why he's 58 in TC.

I doubt Gerbe will be #42. I read in a publication somewhere he wanted 19 and he wore 91 in the rookie camp. He'll have a number with a nine i'm sure.

Gerbe, Ennis & Byron(listed heights...5'5", 5'9" & 5'9") could comprise quite the forward line in a few years. Think of the nickname potential. :D

lol they will need to trade one at some point. All three of them look like the real deal. I mean, Gerbe's debut in the NHL he had a goal, and in the frozen four had like 5 goals and 3 assists or something i think. Crazy.... and i really think Tyler Ennis is the best of all 3 of those. And that's no knock on Paul Byron. But whens the last time a hyped forward from the WHL was a bust? That league rarely makes busts because it's such a tough, physical league, and Ennis is aiming at 50 goals this year, which is almost unheard of in the WHL..... he had 44 last year.

gary green and the other analyst on NHL Network Canada said last night that they thought Gerbe was the best Sabre on the ice. Green believes he gets sent to AHL no matter what he does in pre-season this year because that's how the Sabres management likes to do things.

He will start in Portland -- we have too many NHL forwards that would have to clear waivers for him to start -- but you may see a Roy 2005-06 situation (ignoring the fact that Roy had played 49 games in Buffalo before the lockout), where he started in Rochester, had 20 points (7 goals and 13 assists) in 8 games and was quickly called up to Buffalo. I have no doubt that he will prove himself capable at the AHL level this year; the question is whether he will prove himself more than capable, meaning he should be moved up here.

Archived