[OT] Houston press conference on hurricane

LabattBlue

I was just watching a press conference using this link that spndnchz provided...

http://www.vuetoo.com/vue1/Situationpagene...&z=&np=

The official was speaking in spanish along with english. Throughout the past century when immigrants came over from Europe, were government officials required to speak in German, Polish, Italian, etc...?

If you come to this country learn to speak and understand the english language! F*** those automated phone menus that start out by with "Press 1 for english, 2 for spanish". If you cater to those who don't speak or understand the english language, guess what? They have no incentive to learn english.

:angry:

PS Guess I should have saved this for next Thursday! :lol:

I was just watching a press conference using this link that spndnchz provided...

( http://www.vuetoo.com/vue1/Situationpagene...&z=&np= ).

The official was speaking in spanish along with english. Throughout the past century when immigrants came over from Europe, were government officials required to speak in German, Polish, Italian, etc...?

If you come to this country learn to speak and understand the english language! F*** those automated phone menus that start out by with "Press 1 for english, 2 for spanish". If you cater to those who don't speak or understand the english language, guess what? They have no incentive to learn english.

Link doesn't work for me. And typically I would agree w/ you that government officials should primarily speak in English.

But we are dealing w/ a hurricane in a city w/ a LARGE non-English speaking contingent. I don't have a problem w/ giving people info in a language they can understand when the information could literally be life saving. (I actually wouldn't have a problem w/ them adding Chinese and Vietnamese under the present circumstances, as Houston has a pretty significant Asian population as well primarily around the Sharpstown area.)

Link doesn't work for me. And typically I would agree w/ you that government officials should primarily speak in English.

But we are dealing w/ a hurricane in a city w/ a LARGE non-English speaking contingent. I don't have a problem w/ giving people info in a language they can understand when the information could literally be life saving. (I actually wouldn't have a problem w/ them adding Chinese and Vietnamese under the present circumstances, as Houston has a pretty significant Asian population as well primarily around the Sharpstown area.)

I fixed the link even though it is a moot point as the PC is over.

http://www.vuetoo.com/vue1/Situationpagene...&z=&np=

It's called "following your own advice." ;)

Having said that, take a look at these guys.

Unless you are a Native American , didn't all of our ancestors come from Europe and not speak English? My Grandfather did not speak English when he came over.

I think I see your point but wow did you screw that up.

The ancestors who came from England spoke English. And several other people from various countries spoke English. In fact until Spain claimed Florida and France won Louisiana there was very little non English speakers in the country besides of course, the Native Americans.

For the record though, to the OP, There's no rule saying that people who live here must speak English. In fact, your point of view is oddly reminiscent of someone else's who had decided that if you were going to be German, you should have all the traits of a typical German and none that were not. Diversity is what makes this country the best country, because we've taken things from a bunch of cultures and made it one unique culture. It's hard to stereotype an American logically (beyond, they all wear cowboy hats, some people actually think this) because America is such a diverse place.

So if someone comes over and only speaks Spanish. The onus is on them to learn English if they want to. Realize the choices we make effect our own lives, not really yours. Someone who doesn't speak English denies themselves opportunities for jobs and living in the midwest and North while not knowing Spanish as an English speaker may make you unemployable in southern California or South Florida.

So instead of griping about language, you should be happy that we still let people in because if you really want to get down to it, Immigration to the US is our oldest tradition. To deny it based on language would be wholly unamerican.

So instead of griping about language, you should be happy that we still let people in because if you really want to get down to it, Immigration to the US is our oldest tradition. To deny it based on language would be wholly unamerican.

Go back and read my post and then show me where I said people shouldn't be allowed into the country if they can't speak english.

For the 3rd time, my point is that by catering to those who don't speak english as their primary language, you discourage them from ever learning the it.

Go back and read my post and then show me where I said people shouldn't be allowed into the country if they can't speak english.

For the 3rd time, my point is that by catering to those who don't speak english as their primary language, you discourage them from ever learning it.

:w00t: BINGO!

It's one thing when you have to learn another language or two because your profession requires it. As a student in seminary, I had to learn the basics of Koine Greek and Hebrew. I can't just tell the seminary, "No, I'm not going to learn these languages." That will be a fast ticket for me out of there and it will kill my career chances, especially when it comes to the reasons why I have to use it.

It's quite another when it comes to being able to function in daily society, and this is where Blue hits the nail on the head.

Diversity is what makes this country the best country...

Yep. My co-worker is pushing the boundries of what makes this country great. He spent 5 years of his career in the company in Cali and for whatever reason was shocked to learn that California has a large hispanic population. Another co-worker of mine asked him if he ever bothered to learn Spanish, his response was "#%^$#! that, they should learn Italian. Why the #%^$#! should I learn Spanish?" :rolleyes: The best part; both his parents are right off the boat and barely speak English. :wallbash:

For the record though, to the OP, There's no rule saying that people who live here must speak English. In fact, your point of view is oddly reminiscent of someone else's who had decided that if you were going to be German, you should have all the traits of a typical German and none that were not. Diversity is what makes this country the best country, because we've taken things from a bunch of cultures and made it one unique culture. It's hard to stereotype an American logically (beyond, they all wear cowboy hats, some people actually think this) because America is such a diverse place.

Holy s**t, is that a leap.

Diversity is much of what this makes the country great, but language as it is being discussed here is not about diversity, it is about communication. Having portions of the population that speak only a different language means that they can't directly interact with the rest of the population. Languages didn't develop because people wanted to have their own culture, they developed along with cultures due to long periods of local mutation back before travel or technology permitted frequent interactions (look at Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese, which are all romance languages derived mostly from the same root language; heck, just compare Australian, Irish, American and ... er ... English English.) In order for the world to operate effectively, there needs to be one unifying language (barring a Star Trek universal translator.) This does not need to be the only language that people can speak, but it should be one of the languages that they know. In theory, it doesn't matter which language it is, as long as everyone is capable of communicating with it. It happens that English has been chosen as the international language of business and is, thus, the leading candidate to be that unifying language.

I will agree that you can't force them to learn it and they are free to accept the consequences of not learning it. However, the point here is that providing information in both languages (though, not so bad in this case, being an emergency) reduces those consequence, providing less incentive, which is ultimately bad for the country.

For the 3rd time, my point is that by catering to those who don't speak english as their primary language, you discourage them from ever learning the it.

Our local adult education calender came out this week. Learn to speak English classes are FREE! Learn to speak Spanish classes are $50.00. <_<

My point is that if you don't give people a reason to learn the language, they won't!

Blue I'm with ya man. I'm sick and tired of it. My ancestors came here and they were forced to learn English because they respected the opportunity to be here and the prospects it presented for them and their family. They didn't come here and say hey you should translate everything for us. And some of today's immigrants even go so far as to demand that Spanish be learned by everyone else who has actually been born and raised here and who's families have been here for generations and generations. It's crap!

That's the beauty of a free country, you can speak whatever language you want.

And instead of behaving like some "Gangs of New York" nativist and blaming the non-English speakers for your having to "press 1 for English," (*gasp* THE HORROR!) why don't you complain to the bank/utility/cable company who is asking you to do that?

The US economy is based upon capitalism. Businesses offer those options because they want those people as customers, they want their money, not because immigrants have no respect for American values, English speakers, etc.

And as far as there being no incentive to learn English, another poster above clearly identified a few of the larger incentives.

History shows us that nativist Americans who have tried to force certain cultural traits, such as language, upon an immigrating group did so because of bias and bigotry. Be careful.

History shows us that nativist Americans who have tried to force certain cultural traits, such as language, upon an immigrating group did so because of bias and bigotry. Be careful.

Again, though, it's not about making them give up their language, it's about encouraging them to also know the common language, so that everyone can communicate. Have you ever traveled to other countries and noticed how many people speak English? Partly that's because they want to be able to take American tourists' money, but partly that's because, for whatever reason, English is becoming the common, unifying language of the world, starting with businesses. Certainly, individual companies are entitled to offer these options in order to generate more business, but government agencies don't share that problem.

Again, though, it's not about making them give up their language, it's about encouraging them to also know the common language, so that everyone can communicate. Have you ever traveled to other countries and noticed how many people speak English? Partly that's because they want to be able to take American tourists' money, but partly that's because, for whatever reason, English is becoming the common, unifying language of the world, starting with businesses.

Sure, many other nations teach English at an early age. And they do it because it is the accepted language of business. There is a potential monetary award for them doing so, an incentive. It's all about $, thinking otherwise would be a mistake IMO.

Certainly, individual companies are entitled to offer these options in order to generate more business, but government agencies don't share that problem.

Be it a village, a city, a county, or a state, I'm not sure why a government's desire to communicate with a huge percentage of people living under its jurisdiction is a problem for so many of you, but to each his own, I guess...

Our local adult education calender came out this week. Learn to speak English classes are FREE! Learn to speak Spanish classes are $50.00. <_<

That's just wrong.

I've heard real good things about the Rosetta Stone system, but that's like $500 for the whole thing. Unless I can write that off on my taxes I ain't shelling out that much.

Labatt, while I understand your point, I absolutely don't agree with it in this specific situation.

This was a natural disaster and catastrophe for the Houston, Galveston, and Beaumont areas. A life-threatening emergency isn't the time to be making a hard-line cultural stand.

Blue I'm with ya man. I'm sick and tired of it. My ancestors came here and they were forced to learn English because they respected the opportunity to be here and the prospects it presented for them and their family. They didn't come here and say hey you should translate everything for us. And some of today's immigrants even go so far as to demand that Spanish be learned by everyone else who has actually been born and raised here and who's families have been here for generations and generations. It's crap!

So does this guy! :wallbash:

BTW, I know a few choice words in Finnish that could express my frustration with him, but I won't repeat them here.

Archived