[OT] My dog

Corp000085

I don't know if you all recall, but I made a thread here a few months ago in regards to the new dog we have. She's great, housebroken, very loving, and all that. However, today, I dropped her off to get spayed and i'm freaking out. I know it's a minor procedure but the fact that she's locked in a cage somewhere all day is really bothering me. Just wanted to get that off of my chest... I am very much looking forward to her coming home half sedated though!

I took my one year old Golden to get neutered (or CASTRATED!!! as the receipt said) yesterday and he did just fine. Your dog will be calm in that cage all day and after a few minutes of excitement upon seeing you will go right back to sleep.

My dog look at me with such a puzzled look on his face this morning.... you know, that look that says "Where are my balls!!??" :huh:

I took my one year old Golden to get neutered (or CASTRATED!!! as the receipt said) yesterday and he did just fine. Your dog will be calm in that cage all day and after a few minutes of excitement upon seeing you will go right back to sleep.

My dog look at me with such a puzzled look on his face this morning.... you know, that look that says "Where are my balls!!??" :huh:

My wife decided to buy a golden puppy yesterday. We pick it up Sunday. Any suggestions?

Spaying is more involved than neutering. My dad lost a 6 year old golden during a spaying operation. However, that vast majority of dogs do just fine. I had my dog spayed about a year ago, though, and I know how you feel.

My wife decided to buy a golden puppy yesterday. We pick it up Sunday. Any suggestions?

Ask someone to watch it for you for the first 2 years and then ask for it back :ph34r:

They are crazy in terms of their energy level. I would say the two most important training aspects to concentrate on from day one are jumping up on people and teaching the dog to settle. Both are traits we are still trying to impart on our dog. I blame us more than the dog, training really needs to be an everyday, 15 minute or so thing. We have been lax and are now struggling with the jumping up/craziness. Our one year and 4 day old Golden weighed in yesterday at in in shape and tone 82 pounds. That's a lot of weight to have greeting your chest when you walk in the door.

We've had our black lab puppy for 5 weeks now and the best advice I can give is give your dog plenty of exercise. I wake up a half an hour early to go on a 30 min walk before feeding him in the morning, my wife comes home from work @ noon to let him out/feed him, then I will take him out before bed time around 9 pm for a nice 45 min - 1 hour walk. This regiment along with normal puppy playtime activities seems to keep his rowdiness at a minimum.

They never fully forgive you. This was my dog after I explained what I actually did to him...

My father has a running joke: He asks the dog to get his ball and then 'the dog' says "I can't Dad, Doctor took 'em"

Get chew toys. Puppies chew and need 'bone replacement therapy'. Everytime the dog starts chewing on the slipper, television set, couch, you, take the bone and put it in his mouth. Eventually he'll just chew the bone. And get those vinyl type bones. We got the dog some other's and he had them down to sawdust in an hour.

We got him this one once:

it's an actual femor, all cleaned up. He chewed on this thing for 2 days straight and still has a piece of it, now 2 years later.

You think thats' hard, <_< just wait. My wife and I last night finally took our Lab of 14 plus years to the vet because of the seizures she was having everyday and stayed through the procedure... Now today whenever I think about her I start to cry a little. :bag: it is not easy and we still have to tell the kids cause for now all they know is we left her for some tests because of the issues.. They are best friends and was our first child together really and become part of the family like kids....Love em while you got em.

Spaying is more involved than neutering. My dad lost a 6 year old golden during a spaying operation. However, that vast majority of dogs do just fine. I had my dog spayed about a year ago, though, and I know how you feel.

Such a comforting post for Corp in his time of need....

Update:

She's back and seems to be as higher than a kite right now. She was very whiny for about an hour, ate a chunk of american cheese with her pain pill, drank some water, and ate some grass. She's just laying around right now. Hopefully by tomorrow she'll be good to go. She hasn't drank as much water as i'd like, but she has gone to the bathroom 3 or 4 times, so she's definitely hydrated. She was absolutely uncomfortable for the first hour or so at home, but now she's rather relaxed and intoxicated sitting on the couch. The next step will be keeping her calm for a few days so the surgery will heal.

and by the way, KR, thanks for that post. I was reading it as the vet called to confirm that everything went ok. I may have suffered a mini heart attack today!

Did you use glue to close the cut or was it the old fashon fishing line? I remember dropping off my frist dog it was hard when I went back to pick her up she jumped into the car from the ground. We couldn't keep her calm at all but she healed ok. Im surprised you got pain pills I never got them and maybe thats why she cried for most of the night. She might have a little upset stomach and I only say that because most animals eat grass when they don't feel well. Im glad it went ok Corp! Its hard having your fur children go under the knife.

Did you use glue to close the cut or was it the old fashon fishing line? I remember dropping off my frist dog it was hard when I went back to pick her up she jumped into the car from the ground. We couldn't keep her calm at all but she healed ok. Im surprised you got pain pills I never got them and maybe thats why she cried for most of the night. She might have a little upset stomach and I only say that because most animals eat grass when they don't feel well. Im glad it went ok Corp! Its hard having your fur children go under the knife.

She was in some serious discomfort for the first 3 or 4 hours after I brought her home. Don't know if it was the pain from the surgery, the pain from them pulling a baby tooth, or simply the anesthesia messing with her, but she was in some major discomfort. She had calmed down by dinner time. I paid extra for the pain meds mainly because they cause drowsiness and lethargy. I don't think she's in any pain anymore, but i'm using every last bit of pills (have enough to cover till monday morning) simply to keep her calm so she can heal. She's eating, drinking and using the bathroom like she should, so i'm not too concerned about unnecessary medications at this point. As for the scar itself, they used dissolvable stitches, but I can't really see them, so they did a good job in sewing her up. I just hope that she can make it another few days before it starts to itch and bother her.

She was in some serious discomfort for the first 3 or 4 hours after I brought her home. Don't know if it was the pain from the surgery, the pain from them pulling a baby tooth, or simply the anesthesia messing with her, but she was in some major discomfort. She had calmed down by dinner time. I paid extra for the pain meds mainly because they cause drowsiness and lethargy. I don't think she's in any pain anymore, but i'm using every last bit of pills (have enough to cover till monday morning) simply to keep her calm so she can heal. She's eating, drinking and using the bathroom like she should, so i'm not too concerned about unnecessary medications at this point. As for the scar itself, they used dissolvable stitches, but I can't really see them, so they did a good job in sewing her up. I just hope that she can make it another few days before it starts to itch and bother her.

Your dog uses the bathroom? What kind of dog uses the bathroom? How'd you train her to do that? Does that mean you have two ladies tying up your bathroom? :rolleyes:

Update:

She's back and seems to be as higher than a kite right now. She was very whiny for about an hour, ate a chunk of american cheese with her pain pill, drank some water, and ate some grass. She's just laying around right now. Hopefully by tomorrow she'll be good to go. She hasn't drank as much water as i'd like, but she has gone to the bathroom 3 or 4 times, so she's definitely hydrated. She was absolutely uncomfortable for the first hour or so at home, but now she's rather relaxed and intoxicated sitting on the couch. The next step will be keeping her calm for a few days so the surgery will heal.

and by the way, KR, thanks for that post. I was reading it as the vet called to confirm that everything went ok. I may have suffered a mini heart attack today!

:lol: Believe me, I understood how you felt. I did say my dog was ok!

Update:

She's back and seems to be as higher than a kite right now.

Corp -

Glad to hear the puppy is home and getting better.

My dog had a papiloma growth removed from his leg a couple years back, and when I went to pick him up from the vet he was still a little loopy from the anesthesia. It was kind of funny to see him unsteady on his feet while trying to keep his eyes open and tail wagging. While the vet was giving me the post-op instructions Buster was leaning up against me, using my leg to hold himself up. The vet and I got a good chuckle out of that.

Archived