[OT] USA Swim Team

Guest Sloth

I'm not a fan of swimming. The only name I knew, prior to last night, was Michael Phelps. Fellas, what happend last night was one of THE most incredible sport moments ever. The last swimmer for the U.S. was .67 seconds behind the world record holder in 100 as the last leg started. In a sprint that is A LOT. The final U.S. swimmer was able to catch and beat him by .08 seconds! They said that was the fastest leg of a relay ever! What makes it even better is the fact that the French swimmer on the final leg, world record holder in the 100, said they would smash the U.S earlier this week. To see a comeback like that live was just amazing. You guys should watch the replay of it on ESPN.com.

I'm not a fan of swimming. The only name I knew, prior to last night, was Michael Phelps. Fellas, what happend last night was one of THE most incredible sport moments ever. The last swimmer for the U.S. was .67 seconds behind the world record holder in 100 as the last leg started. In a sprint that is A LOT. The final U.S. swimmer was able to catch and beat him by .08 seconds! They said that was the fastest leg of a relay ever! What makes it even better is the fact that the French swimmer on the final leg, world record holder in the 100, said they would smash the U.S earlier this week. To see a comeback like that live was just amazing. You guys should watch the replay of it on ESPN.com.

Excellent post. I was mesmerized by the race myself...

I have never been a big fan on swimming myself, but I was yelling at the screen at the last 25m in hopes the U.S. swimmer beat the French swimmer. It was really something to behold.

You guys should watch the replay of it on ESPN.com.

I couldn't find a replay video for it there, just a video of some guy talking about it. Am I missing it?

I did find a video of it on YouTube, but it starts almost halfway through the last leg and is someone's video of their TV.

I couldn't find a replay video for it there, just a video of some guy talking about it. Am I missing it?

Pretty sure Olympics are exclusive to NBC and that is the only place you'll find it. MSN has a video, I believe. Not sure why they do... :rolleyes:

Pretty sure Olympics are exclusive to NBC and that is the only place you'll find it.

:doh: Duh, not sure why I didn't think of that. They have the whole race and the interviews right after in high res video. I've watched it twice already. Man, what a race!!! :w00t:

Did anyone else hear one of the swimmers (it was the white guy, not Phelps or Lezak) in his interview after the race say something to the effect of "The Frenchies were doing a lot of talking..." ?Not sure of the exact quote but I'm quite sure he used the word "Frenchies"? :thumbsup:

Did anyone else hear one of the swimmers (it was the white guy, not Phelps or Lezak) in his interview after the race say something to the effect of "The Frenchies were doing a lot of talking..." ?Not sure of the exact quote but I'm quite sure he used the word "Frenchies"? :thumbsup:

Yeah, I caught that, too. "Michael and Bob came by and said that the Frenchies were talking stuff ..." Classic! :thumbsup:

On YouTube, somebody said that we'd still be an English colony if it weren't for the French, then other posters came back about how they would be speaking German if it weren't for us ... twice. Good fun!

Yeah, I heard that comment too. It was Garrett Weber-Gale and he definitely said "Frenchies". It's on the NBC site too, lol.

I was at a bar, and my and my 3 friends were into the race. The rest of the bar was just doing their own thing. After 2 of the guys finished swimming, a few people in the bar got up. Me and my friends stood the entire time. After the black dude finished, and Lezek jumped in, i think the entire bar got up. It was pretty intense and something i've never witnessed before. On their final stretch down, everyone was yelling at the tv. I wish we had a video of that, its was unreal. A bar of like 30 or so people. When the race ended, and USA won, everyone was clapping and yelling, giving people high 5's and chanted "USA USA USA". A memory i'll have for the rest of my life for sure.

It was definitely a nice moment, for sure. But on today's swimming coverage the announcers were engaged in a bit of hyperbole. They made it seem like the US team was a bunch of chumps and had no business competing with the French. Maybe they weren't the favorite to win that race, but they did have Phelps swimming with them. That alone shouldn't qualify them as major underdogs.

It was definitely a nice moment, for sure. But on today's swimming coverage the announcers were engaged in a bit of hyperbole. They made it seem like the US team was a bunch of chumps and had no business competing with the French. Maybe they weren't the favorite to win that race, but they did have Phelps swimming with them. That alone shouldn't qualify them as major underdogs.

Yeah, it's not like this was the 1980 US hockey team. Now, they had no business competing with the Soviets.

Amazing finish and will rank up there with Miracle on Ice..... though I can't see anything over taking that moment in time.

A big win over France will never come anywhere near the miracle. If nothing else, this one will lead to plenty of "well, it was France" comments.

I was at a bar, and my and my 3 friends were into the race. The rest of the bar was just doing their own thing. After 2 of the guys finished swimming, a few people in the bar got up. Me and my friends stood the entire time. After the black dude finished, and Lezek jumped in, i think the entire bar got up. It was pretty intense and something i've never witnessed before. On their final stretch down, everyone was yelling at the tv. I wish we had a video of that, its was unreal. A bar of like 30 or so people. When the race ended, and USA won, everyone was clapping and yelling, giving people high 5's and chanted "USA USA USA". A memory i'll have for the rest of my life for sure.

Reminds me of the Ryder Cup at TCC in Brookline, MA in 1999...winning 8 ? points of a possible 12 points, The U.S. combined for 23 birdies and just three bogeys. Justin Leonard hit that 45' putt and the place went bonkers...A little rude given the fact that Olazabal still had to putt, but it was pure emotion. The Euro's had won 5 of the previous 7 and were felling quite (over) confident (great to see Monty take another one in the teeth). That's a memory I will hold with me for a long time.

That 4x100 relay was an AMAZING race. Awesome.

Phelps is unreal. His lead-off time of 47.51 was an American Record and within 0.01 of Bernard's Pre-Games WR. In fact, the lead-off swims saw three of the four fastest times in history: Sullivan of Australia (WR 47.24), Phelps 47.51, Hayden of Canada 47.56. The fact that Phelps is that competitive in the 100m free - his 6th or 7th best event - boggles the mind.

Lezak's 46.06 final relay split is off the charts fast.

Just great stuff.

Phelps took another gold last night. He still has a number of races, most being qualifying, to go. So far the three gold medals he has won have been done in world record time. I really hope he achieves the unthinkable in Olympic competition by winning 8 gold medals. Phelps won 8 titles at the last World Championships...so it is possible.

Archived