Will the Sabres do anything at all on July 1 (or today)?

nfreeman

Any moves by the Sabres on day 1 of FA?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. We've been eagerly waiting for the Sabres to make some moves since the end of the season -- which was in early APRIL. Nothing happened at the draft. Will the Sabres do anything on July 1?

• Yes -- they will sign a UFA, get an RFA to sign an offer sheet, make a trade, or extend Miller or Pominville.
    • No -- they will do absolutely nothing on day 1, preferring to wait until the dust settles before they make a move (which may or may not ever happen).

Well, let's have your predictions. I'm personally pretty skeptical about tomorrow -- big splashy day 1 signings are not the Sabres' style. And I know everyone here wants Orpik, but I'll be very surprised if the Sabres are a factor there.

I doubt they'll be in on anything an Day 1. We'll be shopping the bargain aisle I think. I'm hunkering down for another contract drama filled season even though they are all talk at this point. Sure they signed some prospects to cheap contracts. BUt it's a different game when it comes to the established players. I'm still skeptical.

If you had asked two days ago, I would have voted yes ... but the Lightning and Avs took a lot of guys off the market, making it tougher. I do think they will extend Miller and Pominville, but no reason to do it July 1 when they need to be working on other things. But they do need to get them done before the season ...

I feel like Darcy is going to surprise us this year, not sure why. Just have that feeling...

I agree. For the most part his hands have been tied the past few years by Quinn and therefore Golisano. They both try to make it a business. I get the feeling that Darcy does it for the game and the team. It will be nice to see if he makes a few big moves first thing tomorrow. I hope to be able to post at 12:01am about some signings.

I am a perfectly conditioned Sabres fan. I expect no changes and I love my team. Why would we change anything? Last year was a season of immaturity and bad bounces. This year will be different.

If you had asked two days ago, I would have voted yes ... but the Lightning and Avs took a lot of guys off the market, making it tougher. I do think they will extend Miller and Pominville, but no reason to do it July 1 when they need to be working on other things. But they do need to get them done before the season ...

I am a perfectly conditioned Sabres fan. I expect no changes and I love my team. Why would we change anything? Last year was a season of immaturity and bad bounces. This year will be different.

I say no with the highligthed above and that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this one.

I agree. For the most part his hands have been tied the past few years by Quinn and therefore Golisano. They both try to make it a business. I get the feeling that Darcy does it for the game and the team. It will be nice to see if he makes a few big moves first thing tomorrow. I hope to be able to post at 12:01am about some signings.

That would be nice, but the opening bell isn't until noon (not midnight tonight).

That would be nice, but the opening bell isn't until noon (not midnight tonight).

I still believe that the Sabres will try to make a splash and I think that some on this board that want blood and guts will be surprised by the fact that they bring in a top six forward in order to package Stafford to bring in a top pair d-man. I still believe, also that a forward like Dupuis or Pandolfo will be added and that while they would like a top centerman, there is simply no one out there that they consider an upgrade over the tin man.

Finally, I believe they got caught with their pants down with regard to Rolston, who they really want to play right wing with Vanek and Roy and this will mark the fourth straight year that a market trend caught them unaware. Hopefully they can get word to Rolston that they will beat Tampa's offer.

I still believe that the Sabres will try to make a splash and I think that some on this board that want blood and guts will be surprised by the fact that they bring in a top six forward in order to package Stafford to bring in a top pair d-man. I still believe, also that a forward like Dupuis or Pandolfo will be added and that while they would like a top centerman, there is simply no one out there that they consider an upgrade over the tin man.

Finally, I believe they got caught with their pants down with regard to Rolston, who they really want to play right wing with Vanek and Roy and this will mark the fourth straight year that a market trend caught them unaware. Hopefully they can get word to Rolston that they will beat Tampa's offer.

1. Why do they need to bring in another forward in order to unload Stafford? They already have too many forwards.

2. Regarding the getting caught with pants down theory -- if true, this would be highly disappointing, although I (regrettably) can't say I'd be surprised.

I think Darcy has genuine interest in obtaining a top line defenseman. But I also think he lacks the ability to get it done.

I would love to buy an Armani suit, but they just don't seem to be available for under $100. So I make do with what I have, and wait for something that passes for acceptable to go on sale.

That is Darcy's same issue. Darcy will wait on Orpik thinking a Bouwmeester trade can go through. And when that doesn't come to fruition, he will try another d-man. But when that, and other attempts fail, and he tries to circle back for Orpik, he will already be gone. 'Tis the way.

I do think we will see signs of hope for Pommer and Miller, but not in terms of a signed contract.

1. Why do they need to bring in another forward in order to unload Stafford? They already have too many forwards.

2. Regarding the getting caught with pants down theory -- if true, this would be highly disappointing, although I (regrettably) can't say I'd be surprised.

1a) If Stafford has the kind of season they need him to have, he will cost as much over a longer term then the veteran they bring in. If they believe one of the kids will be ready in a couple of years, they bring in a veteran like Rolston, he brings out more from Vanek and then steps aside for the new kid. If they lock up Pominville, Gaustad and Paille, they will have six forwards on long term deals. Stafford would be seven and thats too many.

1b) None of the other forwards on the team is top six worthy.

Damn it, this is twice in a handful of days I agree with you. This is getting scary... :unsure:

1.If a trade was going to happen quickly, it would have been when all the GM's were together at the draft. I'm not saying one won't happen over the summer, just that there is no need to make a trade ahppen on 7/1.

2.I don't think Orpik is coming here.

3.While Miller and Pominville can be extended starting 7/1, I don't expect DR & LQ to pounce on them come tomorrow at noon.

4.Any other FA signings won't be major(4th line vet forward or backup goaile), which are moves that can be made down the road.

Do I wish they would address these ASAP? You bet, but their track record states otherwise.

I am preparing for noon tomorrow just like I prepare for air travel.

Expect that your bags will get lost, your flight will be canceled, or you will miss a connection. Since one is bound to happen, you will not be disappointed when it does. If none of those conditions are met, you can be pleasantly surprised.

Tomorrow, I expect no update on Pommer and Miller, no free agent signings, and the Slug to continue as the official team logo. At the end of the day, will I be pleasantly surprised???

They will sign Poms, Goose, Bernier and get Miller's contract out of the way so it doesn't become a distraction. They will get a d-man. Which D-man I don't know but it looks like things are set up to get Orpik. Who knows though. I don't think any of these predictions are revolutionary so I suspect Darcy can get it done.

have they? I guess with all that hard evidence out there on this matter it must be true. I find it hard to believe that a GM would be willing to sign any kind of extension with a team that would be hand tying him as much as Sabres fans believe.

have they? I guess with all that hard evidence out there on this matter it must be true. I find it hard to believe that a GM would be willing to sign any kind of extension with a team that would be hand tying him as much as Sabres fans believe.

Darcy would have no trouble finding a job elsewhere, making a lot more than he does now.

I agree with all of the above - What makes us believe Darcy is completely absolved from any blame concerning last season's cluster#%^$#!?

Darcy would have no trouble finding a job elsewhere, making a lot more than he does now.

I agree with all of the above - What makes us believe Darcy is completely absolved from any blame concerning last season's cluster#%^$#!?

I don't think he's absolved at all. He was a player in that as well. I blame everyone for that. He could find a job somewhere else and make a lot more money than he does now. I would just like to see what happens with all the talk he has been doing. I don't remember him speaking about FA this much last year so I'm hoping he has a few aces up his sleeve.

Guest Sloth

That's a good point. If I were a GM who could make more money and have more control, I'd leave Buffalo. Darcy could be more responsible for what has happened, but a lot of us don't want to accept that idea. When was the last time Darcy brought in a GOOD UFA veteran to better the team? I'm not referring to a rental.

I want to point out I'm not putting all of this on one person. I think the troubles that have been going on are caused by Darcy, Quinn, and Tommy G.

Archived