Will the Sabres do anything at all on July 1 (or today)?

nfreeman

Any moves by the Sabres on day 1 of FA?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. We've been eagerly waiting for the Sabres to make some moves since the end of the season -- which was in early APRIL. Nothing happened at the draft. Will the Sabres do anything on July 1?

• Yes -- they will sign a UFA, get an RFA to sign an offer sheet, make a trade, or extend Miller or Pominville.
    • No -- they will do absolutely nothing on day 1, preferring to wait until the dust settles before they make a move (which may or may not ever happen).

I know July 1st has come and gone and these aren't predictions, but here is my wish list(I'm trying to be realistic) which probably would not have included any of the players signed yesterday anyways...

1. I know Kalinin is gone. Don't answer the phone if Teppo or Pratt's agents come calling. Teppo is done and Pratt was nowhere near the physical presence I thought he would be. Bring in Jason Smith. That gives you Tallinder, Lydman, Smith, Spacek, Weber, Sekera & Paetsch. They may also want to have a "plan b" in place for another vet dman(Carney??) in case it turns out that Sekera or Weber are not ready.

2. Trade Max for a good prospect or draft pick. If so, DR has another 3.5 mil to play with.

4. Dump Peters, bring in Laraque(or someone who can really fight and maybe even play a little) or scrap the idea of having an enforcer on the NHL roster. Instead sign an AHL goon for Portland who they could recall if really needed(which I believe is becoming less and less of a requirement).

5. Forget Ryan and sign a vet like Gelinas to play on the 4th line and provide some veteran leadership.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Bernier-Connolly-Pominville

Paille-Gaustad-Hecht

Kotalik-Mair-Gelinas

Spare - MacArthur & Kaleta

Outside shot of making the roster as a forward - Gerbe, Gogulla & Zagrapan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tallinder-Lydman

Spacek-Weber

Smith-Sekera

Spare - Paetsch

Outside shot of making the roster as a blueliner - Butler

Miller-Lalime

In summary...With Kaleta & Weber up full-time and the acquisition of Smith, the teams physical make-up has improved. You still have no scoring center to play on the second line WHEN Connolly goes down unless Zagrapan is ready to decide that he wants to become an NHL player. No matter who badly Lalime plays early on, Lindy MUST give him some time and get him into 15 games or so.

Archived