Thoughts on Eklund

FogBat

Does this man really know anything about hockey?

Does he understand the Sabres have $40+ million already committed to the cap next year, with a weak defense?

How will they fit a $8M+ player under the cap..

Someone please tell me they have seen Eklund smoking crack in the Sabres media room...

Does he understand the Sabres have $40+ million already committed to the cap next year, with a weak defense?

Considering the cap should be in the mid 50's, cap space is not an issue. The cheap ass owner is... :o

Someone please tell me they have seen Eklund smoking crack in the Sabres media room...

About 38 million committed, and they could easily shave another 5 million off with some shrewd moves, which means they could have about 20 million to play with under the cap.

So even if it does seem absurd, it is not impractical:

38 mil

Hossa + 8 mil, Orpik + 4 mil, Liles + 4 mil = +16

- Afinagonof 3.3, - Kotalik 2.5 = -5.8

------------

48.5 Mil

Not that I expect this - but the Sabres are in great shape to make moves.

Just wondering....are we going to get a reaction thread to everything this guy (Ecklund) posts?

Maybe we could have one thread called Ecklund watch or something.

If anything, the folks that are upset with him are probably drawing more readers to the guy by not keeping what he says contained to his site.

Which Hossa?

Seriously. Champagne on a beer budget. This makes no sense.

We need a defensemen, goalie and a center, not necessarily in that order. Hossa's not even on my wish list.

Seriously, just because Ecklund says "the Sabres are hot for Hossa" doesn't mean that it will happen. I am hot for Jessica Biel but try as I may, it just isn't going to happen.

:worthy: :thumbsup:

Seriously, just because Ecklund says "the Sabres are hot for Hossa" doesn't mean that it will happen. I am hot for Jessica Biel but try as I may, it just isn't going to happen.

And Ecklund also lists another team.

And we also have a cheap ass owner.

I just watched the last half of that Kevin James/Adam Sandler movie, I know Pronounce you Chuck and larry, and all I can say is WOW, the scene they show on the commercial of here after coming in from the rain, Damn!

Guest Sloth

And Ecklund also lists another team.

And we also have a cheap ass owner.

How much is Tom G. worth? If you had the money he has, would an additional 7 mil really bother you? Sure, you may not make a huge profit, but you will also not make a profit if the team doesn't perform.

Personally, if I had the money, I'd be looking at this as a hobby. Most people have hobbies they spend money on and do not make any type of profit. Tom G. should look at it from that perspective. The perspective of the common worker.

How much is Tom G. worth? If you had the money he has, would an additional 7 mil really bother you? Sure, you may not make a huge profit, but you will also not make a profit if the team doesn't perform.

Personally, if I had the money, I'd be looking at this as a hobby. Most people have hobbies they spend money on and do not make any type of profit. Tom G. should look at it from that perspective. The perspective of the common worker.

Maybe Mr. Golisano has realized his mistakes and is going to Let Darcy do his job and allow him to go and spend some money to make the team a little better..Probably wishful thinking but you never know..He has made some money on the Sabres the past 3 yrs and if the Sabres fall all over themselves this yr he will feel it at the gate next yr..

First of all, He has NEVER run the team that way and has said on many occasions he never will ... so just because we might do it that way that doesn't mean much.

Second, the title of the thread is misleading ... even Eklung himself would agree that he is not REPORTING anything. You guys get way too worked up about this stuff when his whole deal is based on RUMORS, not REPORTING FACTS. He is very transparent about this, he never claims that ANY of his stuff is GOING to happen ... just that it was talked about by one person somewhere. So the fact that 99% of it never happens doesn't really prove anything because he says up front that most of it will never happen.

There is no doubt he gets used by both agents and GMs just like other media members ... don't you think maybe it is possible that the Sabres are talking a big game without any intention of going after Hossa to possibly drive the price up for others, maybe leaving someone for them? Or to start to change the ever-popular "perception" out there that they are not committed to winning? If all of a sudden they are in the bidding for Hossa, maybe other free agents keep them in mind instead of dismissing them.

I don't believe 99% of what Eklund writes will ever happen ... but I DO believe that most if not all of what he writes came from somewhere other than his head.

Guest Sloth
Maybe Mr. Golisano has realized his mistakes and is going to Let Darcy do his job and allow him to go and spend some money to make the team a little better..Probably wishful thinking but you never know..He has made some money on the Sabres the past 3 yrs and if the Sabres fall all over themselves this yr he will feel it at the gate next yr..

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Has Tom started to look at this as more of a hobby or has he kept this as nothing more than a business? I think if he looks at as a hobby it'll benefit him when it comes to the business portion of professional sports. You have to spend money to make money...in most cases. The Yankees have me lmao!

Maybe Mr. Golisano has realized his mistakes and is going to let Darcy do his job and allow him to go and spend some money to make the team a little better..Probably wishful thinking but you never know..

:lol: Seriously, if that were the case, TG should have extended Regier's contract - now.

Guest Sloth
:lol: Seriously, if that were the case, TG should have extended Regier's contract - now.

Good point. Toronto would LOVE to get their hands on Darcy. Oh...that is a scary thought.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Has Tom started to look at this as more of a hobby or has he kept this as nothing more than a business? I think if he looks at as a hobby it'll benefit him when it comes to the business portion of professional sports. You have to spend money to make money...in most cases. The Yankees have me lmao!

In his mind, it won't benefit him when it comes time to sell the team. You can't sell your hobby for a $50 million profit if it is losing money ... yeah you might be able to afford the losing, but the next guy might not be able to.

Then again, if he spent to the cap and raised ticket prices a bit more so they were not lowest in the league, would people keep selling the building out? They seem to think not ... I'd like to think if they spent as much as they could that people would pay a bit more to make up for it ... but I fear that times are tough and some people might just have to settle for watching on TV. And many others would say "Why should I pay more when he is a billionaire," which is annoying but true.

I merged the two "Eklund is an ass" threads.

Maybe we should just have a pinned "Official Eklund is an idiot" thread. :rolleyes:

You need to give some warning when you do that...I clicked on one of them and thought I was losing it - I'm like "damn, everyone is just repeating themselves in this thread too...word for word...hmmmm..."

Good point. Toronto would LOVE to get their hands on Darcy. Oh...that is a scary thought.

Not exactly, I believe he is second or third on the list after the almighty BRIAN BURKE

The media is convinced that its the reason they hired Wilson, and went after Nonis, to try and lure Brian Burke out of Anaheim

Archived