Thoughts on Eklund

FogBat

I questioned a friend of mine for bringing up some hockey rumors and asked him if he got them from Eklund. Here was his response:

First, he is nuts.

Second, the last time he was right, I wasn't born yet.

Granted, I think he was being facetious about his birthdate and the frequency of Eklund's accuracy - which appears to be the obvious lack thereof.

My dad sent me the rumor about Gaborik..

Normally I trust my dad.

Then i came here and saw it was Eklund.

Needless to say my dad and I haven't spoken since.

That's a lie, we've talked but I told him in no uncertain terms that if he ever did that to me again I was denouncing the family.

But who is to say that what Eklund hears isn't really circulating around the league. I have some friends that played in the minors who have good friends in the NHL. They have stories and quotes from players that sometimes make it to the public, and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes what they have to say comes to fruition, and sometimes it doesn't.

I remember hearing LONG before Forsberg came back to the Avs, following his Nashville stint, he wanted back into the league, but with Philly. Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't his wish. If Ecklund is just reporting what he hears, take it for what it's worth. He might be right about as often as a meteorologist in WNY, but there isn't an initiative to silence our weathermen. He is just reporting what he hears.

The best piece of advice I can give is to ignore him if you don't like him. And that's a testament to the fans who ignore information once they track the source to him.

But who is to say that what Eklund hears isn't really circulating around the league. I have some friends that played in the minors who have good friends in the NHL. They have stories and quotes from players that sometimes make it to the public, and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes what they have to say comes to fruition, and sometimes it doesn't.

I remember hearing LONG before Forsberg came back to the Avs, following his Nashville stint, he wanted back into the league, but with Philly. Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't his wish. If Ecklund is just reporting what he hears, take it for what it's worth. He might be right about as often as a meteorologist in WNY, but there isn't an initiative to silence our weathermen. He is just reporting what he hears.

The best piece of advice I can give is to ignore him if you don't like him. And that's a testament to the fans who ignore information once they track the source to him.

This is way too rational a response. Don't you know were you are? This is the place where an actual fist fight broke out on whether running or golf was a real sport. Just kidding, it's good advise.

I find that the best place to get info is this site. Accountability and sourcing. People who post info here have to show where they got it from and if they say the sky is falling too many times they hear about it from everyone else. It's great. There is way more pressure to get it right in that system than from a guy whose only real job is to sell papers or to get you to press on a click through ad.

Say what you want about Eklund, but he has accomplished his goal...people talking about him on hockey boards, people providing links to his website, people bookmarking his website and people making daily visits to his website.

All of the above equals selling ad space on his web site for $$$.

Say what you want about Eklund, but he has accomplished his goal...people talking about him on hockey boards, people providing links to his website, people bookmarking his website and people making daily visits to his website.

Could not agree more...and we ALL probably wish we did for a living what he does.

My dad sent me the rumor about Gaborik..

Normally I trust my dad.

Then i came here and saw it was Eklund.

Needless to say my dad and I haven't spoken since.

That's a lie, we've talked but I told him in no uncertain terms that if he ever did that to me again I was denouncing the family.

The Gaborik thing is what got me and my friend going back and forth about Eklund. I questioned him about getting his info about that, asking him if he got it from that guy. That's when I got the response where I started this thread.

Sure, Eklund is making a decent living (if not more) from doing what he does. He reminds me of those supermarket tabloids without the sleaze, and that some fools are going to buy those worthless rags and eat up whatever rumor is being propagated at the moment.

Thankfully, I'm not one of those in both cases.

You got it. McDonald's makes (IMO) a crappy burger, but a lot of money.

I questioned a friend of mine for bringing up some hockey rumors and asked him if he got them from Eklund. Here was his response:

First, he is nuts.

Second, the last time he was right, I wasn't born yet.

Granted, I think he was being facetious about his birthdate and the frequency of Eklund's accuracy - which appears to be the obvious lack thereof.

Why the fascination with him? I don't much read him, but I don't remember ever seeing him make bold predictions. I recall stuff like Ogrooovenshtoop to Columbus E2, Toronto E2, NJ E1. (or whatever it is that his index means.)

It just seems to me that a guy saying a guy might go to three teams can't be faulted for accuracy because one guy going to three teams can't be precise anyway.

Why the fascination with him? I don't much read him, but I don't remember ever seeing him make bold predictions. I recall stuff like Ogrooovenshtoop to Columbus E2, Toronto E2, NJ E1. (or whatever it is that his index means.)

It just seems to me that a guy saying a guy might go to three teams can't be faulted for accuracy because one guy going to three teams can't be precise anyway.

Brian Campbell will play hockey next year. E5.

On a different note from Ecklund, how about Garth? I don't pay for the hockeybuzz site, but I always read his blog and he is pretty good. I think the guy is very cool. Down to Earth. Passionate. Knows his stuff. And definitely delivers the inside track. As far as Hockeybuzz goes, I think he is one of the top correspondents.

On a different note from Ecklund, how about Garth? I don't pay for the hockeybuzz site, but I always read his blog and he is pretty good. I think the guy is very cool. Down to Earth. Passionate. Knows his stuff. And definitely delivers the inside track. As far as Hockeybuzz goes, I think he is one of the top correspondents.

Okay Garth...

More proof to the fact that people are stupid. But hey, I'm sure that keeps many of us in business.

I find that the best place to get info is this site. Accountability and sourcing.

I couldn't agree more. I find that if there's something out there that I need to know about, or even think about, in terms of hockey, it promptly shows up here in a pre-screened, intelligent form.

I think it's hilarious that we are the only team listed for Peca and Morrison. Wouldn't that make it an e1? or e5? whichever way his stupid scale works.

"Sometimes the best team doesn't win." :D

Yeah, no one has any clue what I'm talking about, but I still laugh at this one. Read up on his speech when he won the Hobey.

Archived