Max to Vancouver? possibly 3 first rounders?

Chief Enabler

More gas to the fire; some interesting scouting bits in this link.

After browsing through this for awhile, it seems more likely that building up the "Portland" roster is were its at. BTW, if this Portland thing happens, who owns that franchise and whats the deal? Portland Piratesbest I could come up with so far.

sabres prospects blog

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sabres hitting the Beach?

An "On The Fly" segment on the NHL Network this week had a mention of the Sabres trying to ship veteran winger Maxim Afinogenov to Vancouver as part of a deal that would land the Sabres the #10 pick in next month's draft. GM Darcy Regier spoke of Afinogenov's possible departure at his postseason press conference, and it seems that Canucks fans have always had an interest in the speedy Russian since the days of Pavel Bure.

Already holding picks 13 and 26 (from San Jose), the Sabres could have three first round picks in one of the deeper drafts this decade.

The Sabres rumored target with that #10 pick? Kyle Beach, the 6'3, 208-pound forward from Everett of the WHL. A player who goes hard to the net, Beach brings a powerful mix of skill and physical play that could allow him to immediately jump to the professional ranks. He'd likely be gone by the time the 13th selection rolls around.

While piling up points and PIMs (27-33-60 222 PIM in 60 GP), his style also contributed to two concussions (from fists) and a fractured orbital bone (from a puck) in a span between December and March. Character issues have been raised in the past, but the impact forward could thrive given time to mature with the right organization. Is he really a gamble? There's no question that his tools would be a welcome addition to the Sabres pipeline.

Most people seem pretty willing to get rid of Max. I thought I was too, but I often worry that he's going to go to Vancouver and just have a stand out season and make us regret trading him. I don't know if this team needs 3 first round draft picks. We are young enough. For a team that strived for a leader, all season we could really use a more seasoned player.

Most people seem pretty willing to get rid of Max. I thought I was too, but I often worry that he's going to go to Vancouver and just have a stand out season and make us regret trading him. I don't know if this team needs 3 first round draft picks. We are young enough. For a team that strived for a leader, all season we could really use a more seasoned player.

I was thinking of possibly moving up from that 13 spot somehow into the top ten or even five. Rarely happens, but you never know who they like.

2 concussions from December to March?

I really hope they get a better doctor then the one who evaluated Timmy to check him out before they go and do something like draft him that early. He sounds like a gritty player, but concussions are not something to overlook, especially i that small of a span.

After browsing through this for awhile, it seems more likely that building up the "Portland" roster is were its at. BTW, if this Portland thing happens, who owns that franchise and whats the deal? Portland Piratesbest I could come up with so far.

sabres prospects blog

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sabres hitting the Beach?

An "On The Fly" segment on the NHL Network this week had a mention of the Sabres trying to ship veteran winger Maxim Afinogenov to Vancouver as part of a deal that would land the Sabres the #10 pick in next month's draft. GM Darcy Regier spoke of Afinogenov's possible departure at his postseason press conference, and it seems that Canucks fans have always had an interest in the speedy Russian since the days of Pavel Bure.

Already holding picks 13 and 26 (from San Jose), the Sabres could have three first round picks in one of the deeper drafts this decade.

The Sabres rumored target with that #10 pick? Kyle Beach, the 6'3, 208-pound forward from Everett of the WHL. A player who goes hard to the net, Beach brings a powerful mix of skill and physical play that could allow him to immediately jump to the professional ranks. He'd likely be gone by the time the 13th selection rolls around.

While piling up points and PIMs (27-33-60 222 PIM in 60 GP), his style also contributed to two concussions (from fists) and a fractured orbital bone (from a puck) in a span between December and March. Character issues have been raised in the past, but the impact forward could thrive given time to mature with the right organization. Is he really a gamble? There's no question that his tools would be a welcome addition to the Sabres pipeline.

Fleecing the Canuks sounds like a great idea, drafting Beach is not. I've heard too much about the character issues to feel comfortable in having him on the team.

I wonder what it would take for Tampa to give up the #1 overall. You know everyone has their price.

Fleecing the Canuks sounds like a great idea, drafting Beach is not. I've heard too much about the character issues to feel comfortable in having him on the team.

I wonder what it would take for Tampa to give up the #1 overall. You know everyone has their price.

Miller, Pominville, Roy. Maybe.

There's no way in hell.

That's always a risk, but at this point, I couldn't care less if he has a standout season, as I think it's pretty safe to say he wouldn't have it here, either way.

And even if he does, and we make the playoffs, then what? He'll just disappear like he always does.

With the departure of CD and DB, Max was suddenly one of the vets on this team, who was supposed to take his share of the workload along with the younger players, but from game 1 against The Isles it became apparent once again that Max has absolutely NO clue as to what was going on around him, let alone what was expected of him.

He was finally supposed to graduate from "talented youth" to "experienced veteran", and he failed in ways I cannot describe. Injuries aside, he had a flat out miserable season, when asked to take his game to the next level.

We need more experience, yes, but not the kind of "experience" Max brings.

He's done here, and good riddance.

That's always a risk, but at this point, I couldn't care less if he has a standout season, as I think it's pretty safe to say he wouldn't have it here, either way.

And even if he does, and we make the playoffs, then what? He'll just disappear like he always does.

With the departure of CD and DB, Max was suddenly one of the vets on this team, who was supposed to take his share of the workload along with the younger players, but from game 1 against The Isles it became apparent once again that Max has absolutely NO clue as to what was going on around him, let alone what was expected of him.

He was finally supposed to graduate from "talented youth" to "experienced veteran", and he failed in ways I cannot describe. Injuries aside, he had a flat out miserable season, when asked to take his game to the next level.

We need more experience, yes, but not the kind of "experience" Max brings.

He's done here, and good riddance.

Amen.

Huge difference between a "veteran leader" and "someone who has been in the league longer than his teammates."

He needs a change of scenery and a different coach to see if he can break through the next level. It's not likely to happen here, and from the sounds of it, it appears that the Sabres' coaching staff and FO are at the end of their collective rope with Max.

Hi Guys,

I'm a local media writer for the Pirates. I've covered the team for the last three years and while there is some uncertainty about what the Sabres are going to do, I think there is a pretty solid base of Sabres' fans in Portland to root on Buffalo's kids.

Here's a little background info on the Pirates.

They're owned by Lyman Bullard and Brian Petrovek.

Bullard is the money behind the operation, you'll very rarely see him at the arena as he still lives and works in Massachusetts. He known for putting the financing place for the remodeling Fenway Park and the construction of TD Banknorth Garden. Petrovek is the CEO and Managing Owner of the Pirates, he's at almost every game and is a very hands on owner.

Like what Wiki said the franchise has been in Portland since 1993 when Tom Ebright moved them from Baltimore, MD. They were known as the Skipjacks. From the time the franchise moved to Portland they were affiliated with the Washington Capitals until 2005 when they left for Hershey, PA. The Anaheim Ducks moved their players here from Cincinnati, OH and it has been very successful. In three years, Portland has made the Eastern Conference Finals twice - unfortunately they've lost both series in seven games.

Portland has a history in the AHL going back to 1977 when Maine Mariners came to town as the affiliate of the Flyers. It's not as historic as the Amerks, but the AHL considers Portland one of the cornerstone franchises of the AHL (Rochester, Hershey and Springfield being the others). The Pirates won the Calder Cup in 1994, beating the Moncton Hawks in 6 games. They made it to the finals again in 1996 before losing in seven games to Rochester Americans.

As for the current situation.... It's all, but a done deal that Buffalo is coming to Portland. Buffalo was waiting for Portland to be done with the playoffs and now that they are I expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks. I think Anaheim will make an announcement first, but Buffalo shouldn't be too far behind.

When the Sabres does get here in Portland, they will have full hockey operational control. Buffalo will have to hire a coach, AHL GM (normally the NHL Asst GM), training staff and equipment manager. Buffalo will also have complete control over all players as the Pirates do not sign or pay any players salaries.

That's the deal Anaheim had with Portland and it was very successful and I don't see Petrovek moving away from that philosophy.

Hi Guys,

I'm a local media writer for the Pirates. I've covered the team for the last three years and while there is some uncertainty about what the Sabres are going to do, I think there is a pretty solid base of Sabres' fans in Portland to root on Buffalo's kids.

As for the current situation.... It's all, but a done deal that Buffalo is coming to Portland. Buffalo was waiting for Portland to be done with the playoffs and now that they are I expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks. I think Anaheim will make an announcement first, but Buffalo shouldn't be too far behind.

When the Sabres does get here in Portland, they will have full hockey operational control. Buffalo will have to hire a coach, AHL GM (normally the NHL Asst GM), training staff and equipment manager. Buffalo will also have complete control over all players as the Pirates do not sign or pay any players salaries.

:thumbsup: Good stuff. Welcome to the board. keep it coming throughout the summer.

I was curious on what this roster will look like? :unsure:

I don't know his contract status, but unless Cunneyworth lands an NHL job, Buffalo won't be searching for a coach.

I kinda like this scenario with Florida, Bouwmeester is RFA @ 2.25 right now I believe. Whats he worth? i like the idea of a Blockbuster deal here.

DRAFT

no first-round pick (traded to Nashville)

FREE AGENCY

The Panthers have approximately $39-million committed to salaries for next season.

Needs: One top six forward, one top pair defencemen, one depth defenceman

What I said the Panthers needed last year: Two top six forwards, two checking forwards, starting goaltender

Who did they add? Brett McLean, Richard Zednik, Radek Dvorak, Kamil Kreps, Tomas Vokoun

TRADE MARKET

Olli Jokinen, Mike Van Ryn, Jay Bouwmeester

Hi Guys,

Thanks, and welcome! I deeply regret the loss of an AHL affiliate just down the road, I really do. The upside, though, is that I can easily convince my better half that we do a long weekend in Portland to check on the team's prosp...err, do some sight-seeing and shopping.

On the subject of Max to Vancouver for a pick, I'd imagined that the rumor would be that we would move Max, package him with one of our existing picks, and thereby move up in this draft (and maybe get something/-one else in return).

Hi Guys,

Welcome aboard.

At the very least the Pirates will give our "Pirate" Smilie new functions.

The nice thing for you will probably be that Portland will play the Sabres system, which will make for a lot

of skating and up-ice passing.

We'll appreciate all Portland insights. :chris:

At the very least the Pirates will give our "Pirate" Smilie new functions.

Good point, maybe this new affiliation won't completely ruin my local winter time sports events. :wallbash:

Seriously though, the possiblities are endless:

Funk called up from :chris: .

Another :chris: up from the farm.

The Sabres have a lot of good :chris: 's in the farm system.

The :chris: are playing well so far.

Another loss for the :chris: .

I like it...sort of.

After reading TSN's brief comments on the draft combine so far, I'm even more on board with the idea of drafting Collin Wilson. He has to actually be around long enough for us to pick him though. Yes, I'm a bit of a homer on this one, but TSN's story really makes it look like Wilson's stock is about to soar.

I kinda like this scenario with Florida, Bouwmeester is RFA @ 2.25 right now I believe. Whats he worth? i like the idea of a Blockbuster deal here.

DRAFT

no first-round pick (traded to Nashville)

FREE AGENCY

The Panthers have approximately $39-million committed to salaries for next season.

Needs: One top six forward, one top pair defencemen, one depth defenceman

What I said the Panthers needed last year: Two top six forwards, two checking forwards, starting goaltender

Who did they add? Brett McLean, Richard Zednik, Radek Dvorak, Kamil Kreps, Tomas Vokoun

TRADE MARKET

Olli Jokinen, Mike Van Ryn, Jay Bouwmeester

I would take any of those 3 in trade for the Sabres players we fans have placed on the market. I would also like to say another "Local" boy, Nathan Horton (played Jr. 'B' Hockey for Thorold, ON, also from Welland, home of Dan Paille) in Buffalo.

I'm kind of surprised that recently my home town of Welland has put out some decent NHL players. Horton, Paille, Dan Girardi of the Rangers, I think Ray Emery played a few seasons of Jr 'B' Hockey here. Girardi still lives here too (his fiance is from the area and they are/were having their stag and Doe here) and was hanging out with some friends in a local Bar for wing night last week when i was there. He is supposed to stop by my friends house sometime to sign a jersey he donated to a fundraiser my friend won. I wanted to go up to him and tell him "your Welcome" for Drury

I would take any of those 3 in trade for the Sabres players we fans have placed on the market. I would also like to say another "Local" boy, Nathan Horton (played Jr. 'B' Hockey for Thorold, ON, also from Welland, home of Dan Paille) in Buffalo.

Horton is a stud. But, I would do Bouwmeister for our 26th and maybe exchange Kalinin for a draft of theirs.

dang, sorry. looking at this chart (link) the centers look weak for us. Also Persson seems to be not worth the effort considering the depth.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_AYys_ZPV710/SCdeWc...aftneedsnew.gif

They were comparing Persson to a smooth skating Campbell last year. Does he still have a shot to make the Sabres?

I would love to get Bowmeister or Horton!!

As much as I liked Max, he drives me crazy alot! Time to go, I think. Kalinin too.

I'd take a chance on Beech. Guy will be a stud in the bigs. Make some savvy moves Darcy!

Archived