Max to Vancouver? possibly 3 first rounders?

Chief Enabler

If this rumor is true....

SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS(via Kukla's Korner): David Pollak reports an NHL source not tied to the Sharks or Columbus Blue Jackets suggests the two teams could be closing in on a deal. "San Jose would send Marleau and another player (unspecified) to the Blue Jackets for their first-round draft pick ? 6th overall in the NHL entry draft later this month ? and right wing Nikolai Zherdev', writes Pollak.

There is no way that MAX will fetch a top 10 pick...Especially if the market for Marleau is pick 6 and Zherdev.

If this rumor is true....

SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS(via Kukla's Korner): David Pollak reports an NHL source not tied to the Sharks or Columbus Blue Jackets suggests the two teams could be closing in on a deal. "San Jose would send Marleau and another player (unspecified) to the Blue Jackets for their first-round draft pick ? 6th overall in the NHL entry draft later this month ? and right wing Nikolai Zherdev', writes Pollak.

There is no way that MAX will fetch a top 10 pick...Especially if the market for Marleau is pick 6 and Zherdev.

How about Max and the 13th pick?

How about Max and the 13th pick?

The draft is way too deep to give up a player with decent value and a pick just to move up 3 slots. There will be very talented players on the board at 13 and there will be very talented players on the board at 26 (or where ever our 2nd pick is). Absolutely not worth it.

The draft is way too deep to give up a player with decent value and a pick just to move up 3 slots. There will be very talented players on the board at 13 and there will be very talented players on the board at 26 (or where ever our 2nd pick is). Absolutely not worth it.

My math may be a little off.

13 - 6 = 7? That would be 7 spots I think.

I would dump Max in a heart beat to move up to the #6 spot.

I don't think it will be that simple but I think there will be moves.

Buffalo has a lot of picks and collateral to package and move around on draft day.

Somewhere in the equation you need to figure Max's production over the last couple years, his high salary, and him only being signed for one more year I believe. I to would dump Max for that deal as well...but there needs to be someone that really wants him.

So would most of the people here, but would the current holder of the #6 pick being willing to do that?

No one is saying they wouldn't do it, just that its not something thats going to happen because the other teams GM would have to agree to it too

Ahhh, the original draft pick in question in this thread was the 10th. I should pay more attention to what you're quoting. Anyway, I still wouldn't do that. The talent gap from 6 to 13 is going to be very small. It would be best to package Max for something else.

I don't care what the Sabres do as long as I don't have to see him fumbling around the ice come September. Can we trade him for 1/2 of a better special teams coach?

#%^$#!, I'd even take that old coot Chris Chelios.

A-freaking-men.

Ahhh, the original draft pick in question in this thread was the 10th. I should pay more attention to what you're quoting. Anyway, I still wouldn't do that. The talent gap from 6 to 13 is going to be very small. It would be best to package Max for something else.

I agree in theory, Max is worth more than that in terms of his talent and production ... but at this point Max's $3.5 million would go a long way toward paying the first year of the new deals for Gaustad, Paille, MacArthur and Bernier ... there is value in that. Or even better, it is money you can spend on a center. Or a D-man ... If they signed Brooks Orpik with that money, does that change your mind? I mean, would you trade Max for Orpik? I would.

So would most of the people here, but would the current holder of the #6 pick being willing to do that?

No one is saying they wouldn't do it, just that its not something thats going to happen because the other teams GM would have to agree to it too

Max is very popular and has the ability to play exciting hockey. I think he would be an easy sell for a GM to the fans. The Jackets would be dropping only 7 spots. On draft day the Jackets GM can say he added a front line player and still got the player he wanted at #13.

Regier should be working the phones hard calling the teams with two #1's. I would be happy is the Sabres could add the Jackets 19th pick or the Thrashers 29th pick for Max. The Kings and Preds also have two #1's.

I agree in theory, Max is worth more than that in terms of his talent and production ... but at this point Max's $3.5 million would go a long way toward paying the first year of the new deals for Gaustad, Paille, MacArthur and Bernier ... there is value in that. Or even better, it is money you can spend on a center. Or a D-man ... If they signed Brooks Orpik with that money, does that change your mind? I mean, would you trade Max for Orpik? I would.

Yeah, but there's no way Pittsburgh would give up Orpik for Max. They've got their offensive stars, like they want Max there confusing people.

Here's hoping someone out there in the league can be suckered into taking him. Maybe someone with a scouting department that consists of Youtube videos.

dang, sorry. looking at this chart (link) the centers look weak for us. Also Persson seems to be not worth the effort considering the depth.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_AYys_ZPV710/SCdeWc...aftneedsnew.gif

I think the problem has been that Persson has been in the wrong league.

The SEL is a very competitive league and probably the average defenseman is over 30.

There are no NHL affiliations, so he wasn't in a developmental system.

He needs to get to the AHL or ECHL.

I'm not saying they should keep him, but I want more in return. I don't care if its something later like a 3rd round pick. That's still two players as opposed to only the one we'd get in the suggested deal. The 7th and 13th picks are essentially a wash.

Yeah, but there's no way Pittsburgh would give up Orpik for Max.

of course not, that is the point. he's a free agent, they wouldn't have to give up anything but money. The fact that it's a lopsided deal is exactly the point ... if they use the money right, it's worth not quite getting max value for Max ... so to speak.

I'm not saying they should keep him, but I want more in return. I don't care if its something later like a 3rd round pick. That's still two players as opposed to only the one we'd get in the suggested deal. The 7th and 13th picks are essentially a wash.

I hear ya ... and that would be good too, not unrealistic ... Also, I don't think any of us know the players in the draft well enough to say for sure moving up would not be worth it ... maybe there is a guy they love who has no chance of lasting to 13 ... on paper it is a deep draft but if they think that guy is a difference maker, maybe it's worth a shot ...

I hear ya ... and that would be good too, not unrealistic ... Also, I don't think any of us know the players in the draft well enough to say for sure moving up would not be worth it ... maybe there is a guy they love who has no chance of lasting to 13 ... on paper it is a deep draft but if they think that guy is a difference maker, maybe it's worth a shot ...

The way this draft is shaping up, being so top heavy with defensemen, there really is no forward outside of Stamkos that is guaranteed to be off the board at 13. I don't think they'll be going D with the first pick this year, but if they do, they'll definitely land something good at 13.

If we were to replace the 13th pick with the San Jose pick, then you've caught my attention.

The way this draft is shaping up, being so top heavy with defensemen, there really is no forward outside of Stamkos that is guaranteed to be off the board at 13. I don't think they'll be going D with the first pick this year, but if they do, they'll definitely land something good at 13.

If we were to replace the 13th pick with the San Jose pick, then you've caught my attention.

I think they definitely go D if they stay at 13.

Just too much talent there.

I think they definitely go D if they stay at 13.

Just too much talent there.

I hope not. We have alot of dmen who are solid right under our wings, Butler, Weber, Sekera and even Gragnani.

But the 13th pick could be a real game changer, a true star of the game. Top line forward. You can't just miss out on that type of player. (Unless one of the top 3 d-men slips) which i doubt.

I hope not. We have alot of dmen who are solid right under our wings, Butler, Weber, Sekera and even Gragnani.

But the 13th pick could be a real game changer, a true star of the game. Top line forward. You can't just miss out on that type of player. (Unless one of the top 3 d-men slips) which i doubt.

You could make the case either way. Rochester is depleted at forward, and they really don't need another depth guy at D. But Buffalo is really young and talented at forward, and unless they draft a forwards whos a stud, he's gonna have a tough time making his way up to the big leagues. On the other hand, if they drafted a defenseman, he could spend the year on the top pairing in Portland, then get called up to replace one of our older guys (Teppo or Spock) once they call it quits.

Unless Boedeker or Beach fall to #13, one of the top 7 d-men in this draft is the most choice.

Sabres will still have 3 more picks in the top 75, so I am expecting D-man, then a forward at #26.

Unless Boedeker or Beach fall to #13, one of the top 7 d-men in this draft is the most choice.

Sabres will still have 3 more picks in the top 75, so I am expecting D-man, then a forward at #26.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a homer on this one, but Colin Wilson has the potential to be that power forward that all of us would love. If he's there at 13 they'll seriously have to consider him. I can only go by what I've seen, but I can tell you that this kid has NHL talent and any team would be glad to have him.

Every pick should be able to grow a beard. This will be my deciding factor from now on. Any player than can't grow a wicked thick beard is automatically garbage.

More beard!

More points to the guy who can grow a JP Dumont playoff beard.

Archived