Making the right moves in the 2008 off season

FearTheReaper

I would think adding Rozsival would be ideal for the Sabres- he is very creative offensive defenseman who would bring additional matchup problems. I am surprised no one else talks more about him. He'd be my #1 target come free agency after re-signing Poms.

Rozsival was never going to be loved in NY because he is the type to absorb the punishment rather than dish it out, but the guy is very durable and is really underrated on the puck and can hold on for that extra second with his body to let things open up. I think he is an underrated skater as well.

He isn't the prettiest thing on skates and he looks really square rather than fluid when he's skating (I'm not even sure if that makes sense) but he can cover a lot of ice.

I'd love to have him.

Rozsival was never going to be loved in NY because he is the type to absorb the punishment rather than dish it out, but the guy is very durable and is really underrated on the puck and can hold on for that extra second with his body to let things open up. I think he is an underrated skater as well.

He isn't the prettiest thing on skates and he looks really square rather than fluid when he's skating (I'm not even sure if that makes sense) but he can cover a lot of ice.

I'd love to have him.

agreed as to the love for this guy - especially thinking back to what i saw out of him in the 2007 ecsf (that was probably the closest and most i've watched him).

but won't he fetch a price well beyond what the sabres are likely to spend on (other teams') fa's?

I'd love to have him.

I agree and the fact that he is a right handed shot helps because I agree that, while it doesn't rank high as a requirement, it would be nice to have better balance.

I would think adding Rozsival would be ideal for the Sabres- he is very creative offensive defenseman who would bring additional matchup problems. I am surprised no one else talks more about him. He'd be my #1 target come free agency after re-signing Poms.

I'd love to have him.

agreed as to the love for this guy - especially thinking back to what i saw out of him in the 2007 ecsf (that was probably the closest and most i've watched him).

but won't he fetch a price well beyond what the sabres are likely to spend on (other teams') fa's?

I agree and the fact that he is a right handed shot helps because I agree that, while it doesn't rank high as a requirement, it would be nice to have better balance.

Living in NYC, I see Roszival a fair bit. I think he's a good defenseman and I certainly wouldn't mind having him on the Sabres, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that this is going to answer everyone's prayers for a tough SOB type defenseman. Roszival is much more like Tallinder (when Tallinder is good, that is) than like Pronger. Good positionally, good skater, good passer, good fundamentals, not much of a hitter/shotblocker/intimidator. And as a UFA coming from the Rangers, he'll probably get $4+ million per year x 5 years or so. At that price, I think I'd rather keep the powder dry for a pricey center and/or nasty defenseman.

In terms of back-up goalie, Kolzig says he's going to play somewhere next season. If he can be had for a reasonable price, he would fit the bill nicely I think to take some load from Miller and provide decent goaltending when needed especially in the event Miller gets hurt.

In terms of back-up goalie, Kolzig says he's going to play somewhere next season. If he can be had for a reasonable price, he would fit the bill nicely I think to take some load from Miller and provide decent goaltending when needed especially in the event Miller gets hurt.

You know I was thinking the same thing when I read the announcement. He would be the perfect backup. The question then becomes how much is he worth and does he still think he could be an NHL starter? If he thinks he can be an NHL starter, I would imagine him going to a team like the Lightning or the Kings. If he is just a backup at this point, I would love to have him in Buffalo, but then the question becomes how much is he worth? He's coming off making $5 million+/year on his last contract. Is he willing to accept $1 million or less to be a backup? If so, Buffalo should sign him. If not, then he immediately becomes out of Buffalo's price range. I'd rather see if there is a cheaper option like an Alex Auld who is younger and a true backup than a Kolzig for an expensive price for a backup, but that's me. I think Auld is who Buffalo should target.

Are any of the D-men mentioned as potential targets for acquistion right-hand shots? If so that would be sweet b/c as I have pointed out before, that is one glaring weakness of ours on the blueline.

I'm probably beating an old drum, and I've been throwing this name around alot, but Jason Smith would be absolutley perfect on this team. Righty, vet leader, very physical, very experienced: cup run with EDM in 05-06 and now his run to the ECF with Philly. Philly has Biron and Carter as UFA's, and they are cap-tied already, so Smith can sneak to the market. If we get him, we could put him back with Spacek--he was on the Oilers before coming to Buffalo.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Marty Straka come to Buffalo, but the Sabres have got to rid Connolly first. I don't see that happening, but still, it's almost the exact same situation--Rags are cap-tied, Avery, Shanahan, and Jagr are UFA's, and they have guys like Dawes and Callahan as RFAs. Straka's always been a great assist man, and he's got the experience, too.

My friend who works for the Sabes told me that he is helping Campbell get his things packed up for the offseason, he mentioned it looks like its gonna be a three way run for his services between N.J NY R and the Bruins....

I wouldnt mind Rosival I like him much better than Liles..Ya know who has surprised me this playoffs is Hal Gill..He has really stepped his game up..

Erat recieved over 4 mill a yr..Pominville is gonna get a huge payraise...He might be the next to have to leave due to small market Buffalo..

Not sure that I follow. He still plays for Dallas. What did I miss?

I agree that someone might have to go to bring him in, but it would be worth it.

My confusion, that link you had in original post I thought talked about him coming back to kings and Blake offerring him the captaincy back, I assumed that meant he was traded back this season at deadline, shows to go that I don't know the Dallas lineup that well..... :doh:

My friend who works for the Sabes told me that he is helping Campbell get his things packed up for the offseason, he mentioned it looks like its gonna be a three way run for his services between N.J NY R and the Bruins....
Well that explains why they (NYR) aren't pursuing Rosival...
I wouldnt mind Rosival I like him much better than Liles..Ya know who has surprised me this playoffs is Hal Gill..He has really stepped his game up..
He's defintely got some offense but I just don't see this team paying him what he will probably get in market unless their is no run for him from other's however expect Boston to be in the running if they don't get campbell

Erat recieved over 4 mill a yr..Pominville is gonna get a huge payraise...He might be the next to have to leave due to small market Buffalo..
Well lets hope all the talk about hometown discount comes true on this one otherwise I am afraid you may be right....

Essentially, let's try to rebuild the '05 team.

My sentiments exactly! :thumbsup: That year should of been our year to win it all. We had everything needed to be effective. IMO the 2005/2006 team was a hell of a lot better than the 2006/2007 team. The 05/06 team was tougher and played better defensivly.

I'll throw out my desired big off-season signing again:
(
). He's a big, physical veteran defenseman who was Captain of the Kings for many years. He even offered to return the captaincy to Blake (who he had taken over the spot from) when he returned to the Kings, but Blake told him it was his position; he had earned it. That, to me, says that he is a true leader and doesn't have a big ego. Fills a lot of holes and, while he wouldn't be cheap, he's not listed as a tier-one UFA in most rankings, so they could get him for a decent price.

I'd definitely take Orpik, too. Come back to Buffalo (went to the Nichols school)!

While I like Malone, we have a huge hole to fill at center first. We have four (Roy, Connolly, Gaustad and Mair) and desperately need a fifth (Hecht is not it). At the very least, we need a center who can play on a shut-down third line and, when needed due to injury, on a top line. While he's not necessarily the best choice, it's always fun to throw out Peca as the type of guy that I'm talking about there. Alternatively -- though more expensively -- they could bring in another true top line center.

As for Liles, or another puck-moving defenseman, that would be fine, but lower on my priority list. We need grit back there first. Plus, Sekera could be our "cheap" Campbell next season.

I agree,while another Campbell would help us out on the power play and transition game,i feel the lack of grit on the d is a major weakness on our team that hurts other areas.

I cant believe no one has mentioned it up to this point but... How do you feel about Kalinin staying in Buffalo? Should we give him another year,or potentially make a package deal with him and Max? I've always defended Kalinin. Theres something about him i like. Hes not amazing at anything one thing,but hes good all around. He has alot of potential,but with Numminen sidelined alot the past 2 years,he hasnt been able to find his own rhythm. On the negative side,he is very injury prone. He cant keep a good streak going without sustaining an injury. As much as i'd like to see him reach his potential here in Buffalo,i think its time to let him go.

Getting rid of Kalinin would give us alot of cap room and an open spot to pursue Orpik.

I'm probably beating an old drum, and I've been throwing this name around alot, but Jason Smith would be absolutley perfect on this team. Righty, vet leader, very physical, very experienced: cup run with EDM in 05-06 and now his run to the ECF with Philly. Philly has Biron and Carter as UFA's, and they are cap-tied already, so Smith can sneak to the market. If we get him, we could put him back with Spacek--he was on the Oilers before coming to Buffalo.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Marty Straka come to Buffalo, but the Sabres have got to rid Connolly first. I don't see that happening, but still, it's almost the exact same situation--Rags are cap-tied, Avery, Shanahan, and Jagr are UFA's, and they have guys like Dawes and Callahan as RFAs. Straka's always been a great assist man, and he's got the experience, too.

Jason Smith definetly would fit in perfectly here. And setting him with Spacek could bring up some of that 06 playoff chemistry. But why get rid of Connolly? A healthy Connolly could very well mean a top scorer in the NHl. We all seen what hes capable of in the 06 playoffs. He was by far the best player on our team that run. I know hes injury prone,but throwing away someone that talented is a bad move. Ruff might of ruined Connolly's entire career last season. Theres no reason why we needed him to play last playoffs. He obviously wasnt in good enough shape and was far from himself. That might of carried over into the start of last season. Its a shame. Say Ruff kept Connolly out last year,and he got into shape on his own in the off season. He would of been way more prepared for the start of the season and less drained. I just dont want to see us give up on one of the best stick handling and most creative players in the league. Give tim a chance. Hes got 5 months to get into shape and get focused. I still belive he can return to his 2006 playoff form.

Jason Smith definetly would fit in perfectly here. And setting him with Spacek could bring up some of that 06 playoff chemistry. But why get rid of Connolly? A healthy Connolly could very well mean a top scorer in the NHl. We all seen what hes capable of in the 06 playoffs. He was by far the best player on our team that run. I know hes injury prone,but throwing away someone that talented is a bad move. Ruff might of ruined Connolly's entire career last season. Theres no reason why we needed him to play last playoffs. He obviously wasnt in good enough shape and was far from himself. That might of carried over into the start of last season. Its a shame. Say Ruff kept Connolly out last year,and he got into shape on his own in the off season. He would of been way more prepared for the start of the season and less drained. I just dont want to see us give up on one of the best stick handling and most creative players in the league. Give tim a chance. Hes got 5 months to get into shape and get focused. I still belive he can return to his 2006 playoff form.

Smith would fit well just about anywhere, which will make him more expensive ... plus it means he will have many options, and if all the "rumors" are to be believed, players don't want to come to Buffalo so ... I guess we will see.

As for Connolly, I don't think they can just get rid of him because there is upside there and since they are not going to buy him out, they'd have to basically give him away in trade ... he's most valuable on the team and hoping he can stay healthy. BUt they can't COUNT on him, either. I really think they need to plan on him NOT being there, and if he regains 05-06 form it is a huge bonus ... come to think of it, that was kind of the situation going into 05-06.

Smith would fit well just about anywhere, which will make him more expensive ... plus it means he will have many options, and if all the "rumors" are to be believed, players don't want to come to Buffalo so ... I guess we will see.

As for Connolly, I don't think they can just get rid of him because there is upside there and since they are not going to buy him out, they'd have to basically give him away in trade ... he's most valuable on the team and hoping he can stay healthy. BUt they can't COUNT on him, either. I really think they need to plan on him NOT being there, and if he regains 05-06 form it is a huge bonus ... come to think of it, that was kind of the situation going into 05-06.

And he definetly answered the call in 2005/06,so hopefully he does it again. It gets me mad that everyone considers Roy as the #1 center. I think it should be Connolly. But everytime he gets a chance to prove himself,he gets injured.

And he definetly answered the call in 2005/06,so hopefully he does it again. It gets me mad that everyone considers Roy as the #1 center. I think it should be Connolly. But everytime he gets a chance to prove himself,he gets injured.

Well Roy is the guy playing with Vanek and led the team in scoring ... I don't think it is a slight on Connolly that people call Roy the #1 center. That's all semantics anyway, I think fans generally LIKE Connolly, but you can't ignore what you just said "everytime he gets a chance to prove himself, he gets injured" ... if you count on him and don't plan on him missing some games, you are taking a risk.

Well Roy is the guy playing with Vanek and led the team in scoring ... I don't think it is a slight on Connolly that people call Roy the #1 center. That's all semantics anyway, I think fans generally LIKE Connolly, but you can't ignore what you just said "everytime he gets a chance to prove himself, he gets injured" ... if you count on him and don't plan on him missing some games, you are taking a risk.

I just think in terms of skill Connolly is better than Roy,maybe not overall,but when it comes to creativity and passing especially. But at the same time Roy is alot more reliable when it comes to playing every game.

I cant believe no one has mentioned it up to this point but... How do you feel about Kalinin staying in Buffalo? Should we give him another year,or potentially make a package deal with him and Max? I've always defended Kalinin. Theres something about him i like. Hes not amazing at anything one thing,but hes good all around. He has alot of potential,but with Numminen sidelined alot the past 2 years,he hasnt been able to find his own rhythm. On the negative side,he is very injury prone. He cant keep a good streak going without sustaining an injury. As much as i'd like to see him reach his potential here in Buffalo,i think its time to let him go.

Getting rid of Kalinin would give us alot of cap room and an open spot to pursue Orpik.

Kalinin is now a UFA and I suspect he has played his last game in a Sabres' uniform. He didn't respond to Lindy's intense challenges at practice earlier this year, and still gets into his own head and plays like a skittish rookie when he makes a mistake - he lets it snowball and his confidence gets shot.

Tons of physical talent, pretty good skater, decent offensive skills, and when his head is straight he is as good a two-way defenseman as you would want. The problem seems to be mental with Mr. Kalinin.

FWIW, his contract expiring saves the Sabres a $2M cap hit. LINK

Kalinin is now a UFA and I suspect he has played his last game in a Sabres' uniform. He didn't respond to Lindy's intense challenges at practice earlier this year, and still gets into his own head and plays like a skittish rookie when he makes a mistake - he lets it snowball and his confidence gets shot.

Tons of physical talent, pretty good skater, decent offensive skills, and when his head is straight he is as good a two-way defenseman as you would want. The problem seems to be mental with Mr. Kalinin.

I can't remember which team's fan page that I was on last week (got to it in a google search for 2008 UFAs), but one guy listed Kalinin in his short list of moves that he's like to see his team make. Listed him as "an all-round good defenseman". :w00t:

I can't remember which team's fan page that I was on last week (got to it in a google search for 2008 UFAs), but one guy listed Kalinin in his short list of moves that he's like to see his team make. Listed him as "an all-round good defenseman". :w00t:

:worthy:

Awesome.

For some reason I seem to remember he was all set to go back to Russia before his previous contract was renewed and Darcy closed the deal at the last minute. If I that is the case and I'm not imagining that, then I could see him doing the same this offseason instead of moving to a new team with a new coach and new teammates,

For some reason i thought Kalinin made 4.5 a year. I was way off. Kalinin is definetly expendable. We have Sekera and Weber to step in.

For some reason i thought Kalinin made 4.5 a year. I was way off. Kalinin is definetly expendable. We have Sekera and Weber to step in.

Agreed. Let him become someone else's headache and source of frustration.

If Kalinin was making $4.5 a year and playing the way he was this season, someone might have tried to run him down in the parking lot after the game.

Archived