Making the right moves in the 2008 off season

FearTheReaper

After a rather dissapointing season,we can at least take one positive aspect out of the past year. We have a chance to do things right with the roster. Its fairly obvious that the lack of veterans on this team kept the younger players out of focus. If management is true to there word,that they want to build a cup contender here in buffalo,were gonna need to bring in some veterans to keep the goal in perspective.

Veterans such as upcoming free agents:

Joe Sakic (yeah right!,worth a try though)

On a more serious note:

(more "expensive" free agents):

Doug Weight, and Brendan Morrison

("cheaper" free agents):

Kevyn Adams, and Jeremy Roenick.

Those are just examples,but Kevyn Adams has been quoted saying "He wouldn't mind playing in buffalo". He would be a great fit for our team. Hes a hometown boy,an expert penaly killer,and he doesn't shy away from giving out a check or 2.Not to mention his salary wont kill us.

Doing things right will mean dumping Afinogenov. I'm not one to totally hate Max. Imo,Max is one of the most dynamic and fastest players in the league. But his inconsistency,and horrible hands cause him to do more harm than good. :thumbdown: Especially on a team that lacks a definable strong defense. Moving Max will not only free up cap room,it also frees up a spot on the roster. A spot that can be used to permanently bring in Patrick Kaleta. His hard nosed grit and malice is something the sabres need alot more of to be succesful all around.

If Regier and co. are trueto there word,of trying to grow an entire team from the AHL on up,then another smart move would be to lock up Daniel Paille and Steve Bernier. Both are young forwards who can play both ways,and stick up for there teamsmates when need be.

With Hecht, Gaustad, Bernier, Paille, Kaleta, Mair, and potentially Adams,that might be enough grit to keep the sabres from being slaughtered by bigger teams.

IMO, Another smart move would be to install some more grit on the D. Lydman and Spacek hand down some hard hits every so often,but another hard hitter would really help things on the back end. Can Weber fill the role? He showed alot of potential toward the end of the year,but can he handle the burden of a whole season?

IMO, One final smart move would be to move Kotalik out of town,or anywhere for that matter. :death: Hes nearly useless unless the game goes to a shootout. He never throws his weight around. How much more one dimensional can he get?

The simplest moves will be signing Bernier and Paille,and maybe bringing in Adams. Its gonna be hard to dump Kotalik onto another team. And moving Max might create to much unrest within the fan base. But i feel that if we at least bring in some veterans,and lock up gritty players,it might give us a spark heading into next year.

It would be nice not to get flamed by everyone and actually have good conversation about the future of our hockey club. :thumbsup:

After a rather dissapointing season,we can at least take one positive aspect out of the past year. We have a chance to do things right with the roster. Its fairly obvious that the lack of veterans on this team kept the younger players out of focus. If management is true to there word,that they want to build a cup contender here in buffalo,were gonna need to bring in some veterans to keep the goal in perspective.

On a more serious note:

("cheaper" free agents):

Those are just examples,but Kevyn Adams has been quoted saying "He wouldn't mind playing in buffalo". He would be a great fit for our team. Hes a hometown boy,an expert penaly killer,and he doesn't shy away from giving out a check or 2.Not to mention his salary wont kill us.

Doing things right will mean dumping Afinogenov. I'm not one to totally hate Max. Imo,Max is one of the most dynamic and fastest players in the league. But his inconsistency,and horrible hands cause him to do more harm than good. :thumbdown: Especially on a team that lacks a definable strong defense. Moving Max will not only free up cap room,it also frees up a spot on the roster. A spot that can be used to permanently bring in Patrick Kaleta. His hard nosed grit and malice is something the sabres need alot more of to be succesful all around.

If Regier and co. are trueto there word,of trying to grow an entire team from the AHL on up,then another smart move would be to lock up Daniel Paille and Steve Bernier. Both are young forwards who can play both ways,and stick up for there teamsmates when need be.

With Hecht, Gaustad, Bernier, Paille, Kaleta, Mair, and potentially Adams,that might be enough grit to keep the sabres from being slaughtered by bigger teams.

IMO, Another smart move would be to install some more grit on the D. Lydman and Spacek hand down some hard hits every so often,but another hard hitter would really help things on the back end. Can Weber fill the role? He showed alot of potential toward the end of the year,but can he handle the burden of a whole season?

IMO, One final smart move would be to move Kotalik out of town,or anywhere for that matter. :death: Hes nearly useless unless the game goes to a shootout. He never throws his weight around. How much more one dimensional can he get?

The simplest moves will be signing Bernier and Paille,and maybe bringing in Adams. Its gonna be hard to dump Kotalik onto another team. And moving Max might create to much unrest within the fan base. But i feel that if we at least bring in some veterans,and lock up gritty players,it might give us a spark heading into next year.

It would be nice not to get flamed by everyone and actually have good conversation about the future of our hockey club. :thumbsup:

With the signing off prospects this off-season the Sabres have already shown a more aggressive attitude. IMO this will continue throughout the off-season.

Kevyn Adams? I have to ask why? We have Adam Mair and I don't see Adams coming off a season in which he played 27 games and making any type of significant impact. I also have to disagree on Kotalik. He is cost friendly and gets you 20 goals a season. I wish he would be more physical as well and for some reason Ruff can't bring it out of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to another team and flourished.

Looking at potential Free Agents. I like Chris Kelly from Ottawa & Ryan Malone from Pittsburgh from the forwards and Michal Rozsival from the Rangers and John-Michael Liles from Colorado on the blue line.

Agreed, so far this offseason they are signing the prospects they should, filling out the farm team nicely. :thumbsup:

As far as line up changes, thats a bit trickier. <_< Good news the enigma (Max) is lighting it up a bit in the Worlds and may be increasing his trade value.(trade him) I agree with Deluca and am not sure we need a "Adams" when we already have a Mair but since I've been in Daberg for several years and follow hockey as best as I can (mainly the Pens) I think Malone would be a huge addition albeit much younger for toughness with some ability. However I would also add to that a mean defensemen we have all stated we need in Brooks Orpik and round it out with the veteran agitator we also lack in Jaarko Ruutu, They are all free agents and would add a dimension of toughness the Sabres currently lack... At least we would be pulling an Edmonton and driving up the price of the Pens to keep them especially with Staal and Malkin contracts coming up in next 2 years. For those who have opined we need that nasty type defensemen watch Brooks play for the rest of the series here and in next round(yes I'm predictiong Pens in SC finals) and tell me we would not want him in Bflo, Heck we even have a selling point in the chance to play in NHL with his little brother ala the Neidemeyers in Anaheim.... :thumbsup:

Ryan Malone- that's a guy who'd fit in well here. But he'd also require at least 3.5 million as a free agent.

While we're talking about Penguins, why not Brooks Orpik? He'd add toughness to the defense, and his cost could be in the 1.75-2.25 million range if the Sabres get in there right away.

No Jeremy Roenick. Please no no no no. Or Sakic for that matter, too. This team doesn't need any movie stars or 20 year vets coming off hernias.

Unloading Max wouldn't generate unrest provided the team got something valuable in return. I just have no idea who they can trade for. Anyone?

On a more serious note:

("cheaper" free agents):

I've been on the Malone/Orpik bandwagon for quite awhile, so my thunder has been stolen a bit there. I cannot just throw Kotalik to the wolves just yet, and I don't see Adams being a difference maker. In terms of Max, I'm not getting rid of him for a daft pick. The deal needs to be pretty sweet maybe a B level prospect and a late pick. Finally, I'm still going to throw John Michael Liles' or Ron Hainsey out there. Solid puck moving Dmen that could be the poor man's Campbell for much cheaper.

Essentially, let's try to rebuild the '05 team.

I like Malone a lot except for

a) I don't see where a power left wing fits on the second line as I don't want Hecht or Connolly at center

b) He fits into that "all of a sudden its a contract year" and he plays like everyone has been waiting for.

I like a guy like Orpik or Commodore at defense, a kelly as an additional third or fourth liner and trading the two first round picks along with Max to get a top five pick which is the only way I see them getting a true number two center.

I'll throw out my desired big off-season signing again:

(
). He's a big, physical veteran defenseman who was Captain of the Kings for many years. He even offered to return the captaincy to Blake (who he had taken over the spot from) when he returned to the Kings, but Blake told him it was his position; he had earned it. That, to me, says that he is a true leader and doesn't have a big ego. Fills a lot of holes and, while he wouldn't be cheap, he's not listed as a tier-one UFA in most rankings, so they could get him for a decent price.

I'd definitely take Orpik, too. Come back to Buffalo (went to the Nichols school)!

While I like Malone, we have a huge hole to fill at center first. We have four (Roy, Connolly, Gaustad and Mair) and desperately need a fifth (Hecht is not it). At the very least, we need a center who can play on a shut-down third line and, when needed due to injury, on a top line. While he's not necessarily the best choice, it's always fun to throw out Peca as the type of guy that I'm talking about there. Alternatively -- though more expensively -- they could bring in another true top line center.

As for Liles, or another puck-moving defenseman, that would be fine, but lower on my priority list. We need grit back there first. Plus, Sekera could be our "cheap" Campbell next season.

I like a lot of the guys named so far. I've been big on the Liles bandwagon for some time as I think he can be a legit PP QB who can get shots on net, carry the puck up the ice and can come in for much cheaper than Campbell. I really like the idea of bringing in Brooks Orpik as he is the type of defenseman that can give this blue line a mean/nasty streak and swagger. Personally, I'm hoping Weber can be that guy so that we don't have to spend some money in that area, but maybe a Buffalo native like Orpik would want to play in Buffalo while his brother is in the system as well.

I may be going out on the limb by saying this, but I think Ryan Malone might be overrated. He's in a great situation, in a great system, with superstar players around him. I think he has benefited by playing with Crosby and this year with Malkin. I'm not convinced that he's that great of a player on a different team with different players. He's a very gritty player and has some offensive ability, but I just wonder if he's in the last-year-of-his-contractitis and playing with Malkin has made his stats better than he really is.

I'd trade Max for sure. I have tough time getting rid of Kotalik because for the most part he's a pretty consistent 20 goal scorer, decent powerplay guy, good in shootouts, and has an excellent shot. With his size, he can afford to play a bit more tough and physical, but he's not that expensive and he brings something. I'm not against trading him, but I'm not sure the value and cap space you get in return would ever justify the trade. With Max, on the other hand, I think it would.

I would try to pry Patrick Marleau out of San Jose in some way shape or form. He is their Chris Drury. He plays in all situations and is pretty tough and is a Captain. I'd give San Jose their first round pick back and Max for Patrick Marleau, but I don't think that will happen. This team has now got some size now and some grit, but I think it's still lacking a legitimate second line center to play with Hecht and Pominville. Connolly is not that guy. He's a third or fourth line guy that you just can't rely on because he'll get injured. I think Marleau is the guy you want playing between Hecht and Pominville. Three guys who are good defensively and can generate a lot of offense. As much as I'd love Marleau here, I'm pretty sure it's unrealistic.

Basically, as I see the needs for this team are the following: trade Max to give some cap space, a defenseman to play with Spacek who can move the puck up the ice and is a PP QB, the emergence of Mike Weber as a legitimate stay at home defenseman who is tough as nails and blocks shots, and a legitimate second line centerman to play with Hecht and Pominville that will add scoring, sound defensive play, grit, and leadership. I really don't think the Sabres are that far off. They barely missed the playoffs this year minus Drury, Briere, and Teppo. Bring in a defenseman and a second line center and this team becomes a playoff team. Substitute Lydman or Tallinder with one more physical stay-at-home defenseman and this team becomes a cup contender in my opinion. Just my take.

I'll throw out my desired big off-season signing again:
(
). He's a big, physical veteran defenseman who was Captain of the Kings for many years. He even offered to return the captaincy to Blake (who he had taken over the spot from) when he returned to the Kings, but Blake told him it was his position; he had earned it. That, to me, says that he is a true leader and doesn't have a big ego. Fills a lot of holes and, while he wouldn't be cheap, he's not listed as a tier-one UFA in most rankings, so they could get him for a decent price.

I'd definitely take Orpik, too. Come back to Buffalo (went to the Nichols school)!

While I like Malone, we have a huge hole to fill at center first. We have four (Roy, Connolly, Gaustad and Mair) and desperately need a fifth (Hecht is not it). At the very least, we need a center who can play on a shut-down third line and, when needed due to injury, on a top line. While he's not necessarily the best choice, it's always fun to throw out Peca as the type of guy that I'm talking about there. Alternatively -- though more expensively -- they could bring in another true top line center.

As for Liles, or another puck-moving defenseman, that would be fine, but lower on my priority list. We need grit back there first. Plus, Sekera could be our "cheap" Campbell next season.

I like the idea (matty) however there's a reason Dallas traded him back to the kings and his current Salary 4.2 million.. Realistically and history notwithstanding I'm just not seeing us pay that much or even possibly more for somebody like him or unless we unloaded a Lydman or Tallywhacker or spock. Now Liles I put in the Orpik category as doable..

.. As far as center, your dead on with that and I didn't mean to miss that position in needs as I agree it is a big one. I personally like the idea and think it's very possible in terms of cost/practical of bringing Stu back as that veteran that fills a couple needs (top 3 center and veteran presence to steady the kids). I didn't mention Kotalik because I would keep him.

Connolly is a whole n'other conundrum as I do not believe anyone would give us anything for him or take him at his current salary and we would still take some cap hit even if we cut him. However as a spare part/special teams that is not being counted on as top 3,,, maybe and this is a big maybe he's worth keeping.... unless and again I think this is as big a maybe we can find some better parts with the money even with the cap hit of cutting him.. Now if you take that money and use it like on Bernier long term than I say do it...

I may be going out on the limb by saying this, but I think Ryan Malone might be overrated. He's in a great situation, in a great system, with superstar players around him. I think he has benefited by playing with Crosby and this year with Malkin. I'm not convinced that he's that great of a player on a different team with different players. He's a very gritty player and has some offensive ability, but I just wonder if he's in the last-year-of-his-contractitis and playing with Malkin has made his stats better than he really is.

No your not, having watched Malone for years now you are correct about his offensive potential, but who wouldn't look better playing alongside Crosby or Malkin but his physical game, toughness and willingness to stand up for his teammates has always been the major part of his game and that has stayed pretty consistent and what I would see him bringing to the Sabres...

I'd trade Max for sure. I have tough time getting rid of Kotalik because for the most part he's a pretty consistent 20 goal scorer, decent powerplay guy, good in shootouts, and has an excellent shot.
:thumbsup:
I would try to pry Patrick Marleau out of San Jose in some way shape or form. He is their Chris Drury. He plays in all situations and is pretty tough and is a Captain. I'd give San Jose their first round pick back and Max for Patrick Marleau, but I don't think that will happen.
Again I like the idea but agree about it NOT happening..unless we convince Wilson that Nabakov would play better with Max a fellow russian on the team...

I would try to pry Patrick Marleau out of San Jose in some way shape or form. He is their Chris Drury. He plays in all situations and is pretty tough and is a Captain. I'd give San Jose their first round pick back and Max for Patrick Marleau, but I don't think that will happen.

Initially, that sounded like a lot to give up for Marleau, but I wouldn't be totally upset if they did this. Even so, trading away your captain almost seems like a cardinal sin to me.

I really don't think the Sabres are that far off. They barely missed the playoffs this year minus Drury, Briere, and Teppo.

Speaking of which, is anyone averse to re-signing Teppo? I know he's 38 and just came off heart surgery, but there's a lot to be said about his presence on the team.

I would think adding Rozsival would be ideal for the Sabres- he is very creative offensive defenseman who would bring additional matchup problems. I am surprised no one else talks more about him. He'd be my #1 target come free agency after re-signing Poms.

I would think adding Rozsival would be ideal for the Sabres- he is very creative offensive defenseman who would bring additional matchup problems. I am surprised no one else talks more about him. He'd be my #1 target come free agency after re-signing Poms.

The reason I do not talk about him is because I have seen him 8 plus times this year in the Pens-Rangers regular and post season games and all the Dr Jekyll /Mr Hyde comments here on this board about Campbells game is Rosivals with a bit more Mr Hyde then even our beloved ex-sabre soupy, I would rather give the some of the up and coming kids a chance then pay out what Rosival will get in the market.. Last ask yourself this if the Rangers are so close and have always payed to get or keep the players that make them better why haven't they / are they pursuing??? ...

I don't think Malone's overrated. He's a 20-20 type of player. Last season (06-07) appears to be an aberration, but he missed time with an injury.

Here are his stats over the last 4 years

Season Team GP G A P +/-

2003-2004 Penguins 81 22 21 43 -23

2005-2006 Penguins 77 22 22 44 -22

2006-2007 Penguins 64 16 15 31 4

2007-2008 Penguins 77 27 24 51 14

His "contract year" numbers aren't that different from when the Pens stunk. And as we all know, a rising tide raises all boats.

That said, the center position does need more attention than LW. Marleau would be tremendous, but at $6 million he would lock up the payroll.

Additionally, someone will overpay Malone and throw the market out of whack, leading to lectures about economics from Larry Quinn.

With the signing off prospects this off-season the Sabres have already shown a more aggressive attitude. IMO this will continue throughout the off-season.

Kevyn Adams? I have to ask why? We have Adam Mair and I don't see Adams coming off a season in which he played 27 games and making any type of significant impact. I also have to disagree on Kotalik. He is cost friendly and gets you 20 goals a season. I wish he would be more physical as well and for some reason Ruff can't bring it out of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to another team and flourished.

Looking at potential Free Agents. I like Chris Kelly from Ottawa & Ryan Malone from Pittsburgh from the forwards and Michal Rozsival from the Rangers and John-Michael Liles from Colorado on the blue line.

Kelly and Malone i like, However I would stay away from liles..He is a giveaway artist worse than Lydman..One bad giveaway artist on the blueline is bad enough..

I like Malone a lot except for

a) I don't see where a power left wing fits on the second line as I don't want Hecht or Connolly at center

b) He fits into that "all of a sudden its a contract year" and he plays like everyone has been waiting for.

I like a guy like Orpik or Commodore at defense, a kelly as an additional third or fourth liner and trading the two first round picks along with Max to get a top five pick which is the only way I see them getting a true number two center.

That's way too much. With as deep as this draft is supposed to be, I'd hold on to those two first rounders.

That's way too much. With as deep as this draft is supposed to be, I'd hold on to those two first rounders.

Depends how close you think you are and how good your prospects are. You look at some of the other great draft cyears and decide, would you have traded the 13th and 26 th pick in the draft along with Max for the #5 pick.

In 2005, thats Zagrapan and Matt Pelech and Max for Carey Price. Some other years not so good.

Depends how close you think you are and how good your prospects are. You look at some of the other great draft cyears and decide, would you have traded the 13th and 26 th pick in the draft along with Max for the #5 pick.

In 2005, thats Zagrapan and Matt Pelech and Max for Carey Price. Some other years not so good.

I've seen some comparisons of this year's draft to the first round of 2003. Outside of Stamkos though, there probably won't be anyone who can make an immediate impact. Obviously a lot needs to happen to be as good as that draft, but going with your analogy, I'd much rather have two of those prospects instead of one guy from the top.

All I can say about this draft is that Collin Wilson, projected somewhere from 8-15 is probably a better player than Van Riemsdyk, last year's #2. Its a deep class. I think your suggested deal is far too steep and we could get much more in return for that package.

I can't get past the Sabres' pick at 5 and the Flames pick at 9... :wallbash:

Well how about Atlanta taking Coburn one pick before Phaneuf and then eventually unloading him for Alexi Zhitnik?

But really, sure, it would be nice to have Phaneuf, but I can live with settling for a 35+ goal scorer.

I like the idea (matty) however there's a reason Dallas traded him back to the kings and his current Salary 4.2 million.. Realistically and history notwithstanding I'm just not seeing us pay that much or even possibly more for somebody like him or unless we unloaded a Lydman or Tallywhacker or spock. Now Liles I put in the Orpik category as doable..

Not sure that I follow. He still plays for Dallas. What did I miss?

I agree that someone might have to go to bring him in, but it would be worth it.

Are any of the D-men mentioned as potential targets for acquisition right-hand shots? If so that would be sweet b/c as I have pointed out before, that is one glaring weakness of ours on the blueline.

Norstrom - left

Orpik - left

Liles - left

I'm beginning to think that there is some inherent trait that lefties have that makes them better on defense, because their prevalence seems to defy the population rate. Perhaps, since forwards follow the population and have a high rate of righties, it is easier to defend against them if you are a lefty.

I can't get past the Sabres' pick at 5 and the Flames pick at 9... :wallbash:

Even better is Bernier at 16 versus Getzlaf at 19.

To cut the Sabres some slack ... Phaneuf was the third D-man taken. Projecting the future development of 18-years olds is an inexact science.

Archived