Making the right moves in the 2008 off season

FearTheReaper

A healthy Connolly could very well mean a top scorer in the NHl. We all seen what hes capable of in the 06 playoffs. He was by far the best player on our team that run. I know hes injury prone,but throwing away someone that talented is a bad move. Ruff might of ruined Connolly's entire career last season. Theres no reason why we needed him to play last playoffs. He obviously wasnt in good enough shape and was far from himself. That might of carried over into the start of last season. Its a shame. Say Ruff kept Connolly out last year,and he got into shape on his own in the off season. He would of been way more prepared for the start of the season and less drained. I just dont want to see us give up on one of the best stick handling and most creative players in the league. Give tim a chance. Hes got 5 months to get into shape and get focused. I still belive he can return to his 2006 playoff form.

How long have we been saying that now? Sure, he's talented. Yes, he could have been a superstar in the NHL. But it's just not in the cards. Going into this season, we were counting on this guy to be our #1 Center. And we thought he'd be dominant. I even looked at his potential, and thought he could easily put him Briere type numbers, if only he could stay healthy. But the guy is just a piece of glass, and we're in the salary cap era. At some point, the FO needs to step back and say, "We're paying this guy 3M a year, and for what?" He had his share of injuries again last year, and it really is a shame because he is such a talent. But he's just gotta pack his bags. To keep him around this team, to pay him that kind of salary for 40 games, and to ask a natural winger to fill his spot when he's injured is just not fair.

And it's not that Connolly is out of shape, or that he's in a funk. We saw him dominate when he was on the Roy and Vanek line. He's still got great vision, great speed, great hands, and a great shot. But he's had so many concussions throughout his career, and after you have one concussion, they can come back easily. So it's time to realize that Connolly will never stay healthy throughout a whole season, and we need to get rid of his salary and free up a roster spot for a #2 center that can.

How long have we been saying that now? Sure, he's talented. Yes, he could have been a superstar in the NHL. But it's just not in the cards. Going into this season, we were counting on this guy to be our #1 Center. And we thought he'd be dominant. I even looked at his potential, and thought he could easily put him Briere type numbers, if only he could stay healthy. But the guy is just a piece of glass, and we're in the salary cap era. At some point, the FO needs to step back and say, "We're paying this guy 3M a year, and for what?" He had his share of injuries again last year, and it really is a shame because he is such a talent. But he's just gotta pack his bags. To keep him around this team, to pay him that kind of salary for 40 games, and to ask a natural winger to fill his spot when he's injured is just not fair.

And it's not that Connolly is out of shape, or that he's in a funk. We saw him dominate when he was on the Roy and Vanek line. He's still got great vision, great speed, great hands, and a great shot. But he's had so many concussions throughout his career, and after you have one concussion, they can come back easily. So it's time to realize that Connolly will never stay healthy throughout a whole season, and we need to get rid of his salary and free up a roster spot for a #2 center that can.

Connolly being injury prone is a given neagtive aspect. But if you look at it the way i do,the past 2 years he hasn't been able to get a fresh start. Last year he missed 80 games,and was sidelined for 11 months. Ruff made an irreponsible call by putting him into the lineup before he was 100 percent. As you could see,he didnt start getting a regular amount of ice time until 2 weeks after he was reinserted into the lineup. I feel the hastly dressing of Connolly was too abrupt and hindered his recovery process. I also feel that this carried over into this season. Ruff mistreated his concussion problem.He should of handled Connolly's concussion issues with more caution. Theres was no reason,what so ever,that Connolly needed to play in the playoffs last year,. We were stacked offensivly as it was. Lets say Ruff kept Connolly out of the lineup. And he continued to practice on his own. He would of became 100 percent a month after the playoffs started. Then he would of had 4 months to practice at 100 percent. He would of been far more prepared for the 2007/08 season.

Then when you look at this season,he was playing exceptionally well unto the injuries started. He averaged almost a point per game,and for a streak there it was 1.5 a game. Do the math,he would pass Briere numbers in the 06/07 season if he kept that up and only played 64 games. Connolly has better vison than Briere,better passing,better stick handling,and he is a way better 2 way forward. Briere only beats Connolly in speed and shot.

Now look at this offseason. Connolly will have that 4 months of 100 percent practice i've been begging for since his dynamic performance in the 06 playoffs. Yes if you look at it from a money aspect,he is not worth the money right now. (Based on skill) Hes more deserving of Vaneks contract than Vanek is(as an example). All in all i believe that Connolly is the true #1 center on the sabres. This upcoming season is his final chance to prove it,ironically its his last year on his contract. I feel its a bad move to pull the plug on him this off season,if it needs to be done,do it next year based on this years permforance and reliablity. But you just cant give up on someone that can potentially carry an entire teams offense on his shoulders.

Connolly being injury prone is a given neagtive aspect. But if you look at it the way i do,the past 2 years he hasn't been able to get a fresh start. Last year he missed 80 games,and was sidelined for 11 months. Ruff made an irreponsible call by putting him into the lineup before he was 100 percent. As you could see,he didnt start getting a regular amount of ice time until 2 weeks after he was reinserted into the lineup. I feel the hastly dressing of Connolly was too abrupt and hindered his recovery process. I also feel that this carried over into this season. Ruff mistreated his concussion problem.He should of handled Connolly's concussion issues with more caution. Theres was no reason,what so ever,that Connolly needed to play in the playoffs last year,. We were stacked offensivly as it was. Lets say Ruff kept Connolly out of the lineup. And he continued to practice on his own. He would of became 100 percent a month after the playoffs started. Then he would of had 4 months to practice at 100 percent. He would of been far more prepared for the 2007/08 season.

Then when you look at this season,he was playing exceptionally well unto the injuries started. He averaged almost a point per game,and for a streak there it was 1.5 a game. Do the math,he would pass Briere numbers in the 06/07 season if he kept that up and only played 64 games. Connolly has better vison than Briere,better passing,better stick handling,and he is a way better 2 way forward. Briere only beats Connolly in speed and shot.

Now look at this offseason. Connolly will have that 4 months of 100 percent practice i've been begging for since his dynamic performance in the 06 playoffs. Yes if you look at it from a money aspect,he is not worth the money right now. (Based on skill) Hes more deserving of Vaneks contract than Vanek is(as an example). All in all i believe that Connolly is the true #1 center on the sabres. This upcoming season is his final chance to prove it,ironically its his last year on his contract. I feel its a bad move to pull the plug on him this off season,if it needs to be done,do it next year based on this years permforance and reliablity. But you just cant give up on someone that can potentially carry an entire teams offense on his shoulders.

I don't even know where to start ...

First of all, it's not Ruff's responsibility to decide if a guy is healthy enough to play ... if he is cleared and the guy wants to play, which obviously Connolly did, it's insane to expect Ruff to sit him when he could be the difference in winning a Cup. You yourself keep referencing his amazing talent ... if that talent is cleared to play and wants to play, Ruff is doing his team a disservice sitting him out to get ready for the following season. As we learned the hard way, a window to win a Cup might be very small ... assuming that window would still be there in 07-08 would have been arrogant at best.

Second, to say he is more deserving of Vanek's deal is nuts. Do you realize the guy already has 34 more goals than Connolly in his career? And Connolly has been in the NHL since 1999? The last 3 years they are both about 0.80 ppg ...

I agree a full offseason to get ready is the best thing for Connolly, and I don't think they should get rid of him. As I said before, the guy could be your ace in the hole and a huge difference-maker, but you better plan on him NOT being there and treat his contribution as icing on the cake.

Second, to say he is more deserving of Vanek's deal is nuts. Do you realize the guy already has 34 more goals than Connolly in his career? And Connolly has been in the NHL since 1999? The last 3 years they are both about 0.80 ppg ...

I won't defend his statement, but you're comparing the goal scoring abilities of a pure goal scorer to that of a pure setup guy. Its apples and oranges. Far more goes into a players value than just how many goals he scores.

As BTP pointed out, it isn't simply Ruff's call on whether someone is healthy enough to play. Player tells him he's healthy, trainer and doctors clear him, front office activates him - Lindy finds a spot in the lineup. Don't forget the NHL told the Sabres that if Buffalo didn't activate him and Connolly didn't play at least one regular-season game he wasn't going to be eligible for the playoffs. (I'm fuzzy on the specifics, but there was concern about teams abusing the salary cap exception for long-term injured players.)

I assume you're comparing Timmy's 05-06 campaign to Danny's 06-07 season, so if that's the case then no, he wouldn't have passed Briere's numbers. Briere played 81 games in 06-07, scoring 95 points or 1.17 PPG. Connolly scored 55 points in 63 games, or 0.87 PPG. Extrapolating Tim's numbers out to 81 games (same as Danny played) he would have finished with 70 points. You can't pick out one six-game hot streak in March or a four-game hot streak in December and try to project that out to compare to a guy who put in 95 points.

Connolly is not the no.1 center on the Sabres, Roy is. Most fans haven't seen anything that indicates Timmy can carry the Sabres' offense on his shoulders - he's never scored more than 55 points and hasn't played a full year since 02-03.

Connolly can be a nice addition (especially on special teams) if he stays healthy but I don't expect much from him. BTP hit the nail on the head - don't expect much and he might be a nice surprise, but we definitely shouldn't count on him.

Connolly can be a nice addition (especially on special teams) if he stays healthy but I don't expect much from him. BTP hit the nail on the head - don't expect much and he might be a nice surprise, but we definitely shouldn't count on him.

I agree. Without the injuries, I believe that Connolly would have become a top-level center, but you can't ignore that past. I've said several times that one of the big mistakes of last season was going forward with only four centers, especially when one has a history of injuries. Hecht is not a center and Gaustad is not a top-line center, so when Connolly was not in the line-up or when he was just back in and playing on the wing, they had a big whole down the middle. If we don't add one more center capable of playing on a top-two line this off-season, then we are in trouble. Even if Timmy were able to put together a complete season, that doesn't mean that one of the other centers won't get injured for a few games. Center is one position where you need a back-up.

I won't defend his statement, but you're comparing the goal scoring abilities of a pure goal scorer to that of a pure setup guy. Its apples and oranges. Far more goes into a players value than just how many goals he scores.

Agreed, but you have to agree there is a premium place on goal-scoring ... I mean, if two guys average a point per game but one guy scores 40 goals and has 40 assists and the other is 25-55 ... which one is more valuable to your team? Which one is harder to replace? Which one will make more money? The goal scorer. Jerome Iginla scored 50 goals this year ... Would you rather have him or Shane Doan and his 50 assists? Goal-scoring might not be Connolly's main job, but given the fact that Connolly has played more than twice as many seasons in the league, the fact that he has scored THAT MANY fewer goals is significant .... someone needs to put the puck in the net, all those pretty moves don't always show up on the scoreboard.

And I know you were not questioning this part, but when you throw in the injury history and the fact that Vanek has missed ONE game in 3 regular seasons... well, you know ...

And I know you were not questioning this part, but when you throw in the injury history and the fact that Vanek has missed ONE game in 3 regular seasons... well, you know ...

I looked at that to see how they matched up in terms of health and injury history - and it's a bit unsettling to think that TC was a veritable iron man for the first four years of his career before his health went to pieces. He played 81, 82, 82, 80 in his first four years - then went 0, 63, 2, 48.

What and/or when, has Connolly done anything to warrant any consideration as a true one or two line center? Even in his so-called breakout year, he had the luxury of playing on the same team as Drury and Briere thus benefitting along with Roy as the third and fourth line center. He averaged 18 minutes of ice time and was a miserable 42% on face offs.

He was great in the series against a slow as molasses Flyer defense and then had a great game against Ottawa. Unfortunately, he lasted one shift in game two.

Any description other then average for his play this year is being kind.

Like others have said, count on him as a 12th or 13th forward and anything you get better then that would be a bonus.

One last question, would a perfectly healthy Connolly, a continuing to develop Roy and a what you see is what you get Gaustad be good enough to beat Malkin, Crosby and Staal?? That is the goal, isn't it?

Sure, there is a premium on goal scoring, but if you look at two of the biggest contracts that were handed out last offseason, Briere and Gomez, those two are primarily setup guys, especially Gomez. That just goes to show that some people out there actually do pay for more than just goals. Gomez would be the poster boy for that idea.

I can't remember which team's fan page that I was on last week (got to it in a google search for 2008 UFAs), but one guy listed Kalinin in his short list of moves that he's like to see his team make. Listed him as "an all-round good defenseman". :w00t:

He is.

He can play all units. And there are teams out there he can definitely help. And as a UFA he could be

a nice option for a lot of teams in a cap squeeze.

No team really demands more out of their defense than Buffalo. It is not really Kalinin's abilities (he's got that), it

is his head for the game that is a mess. Relieve him of the duty of trying to find a breakout pass and I think he'd do okay on a lot of clubs.

He is.

He can play all units. And there are teams out there he can definitely help. And as a UFA he could be

No team really demands more out of their defense than Buffalo. It is not really Kalinin's abilities (he's got that), it

is his head for the game that is a mess. Relieve him of the duty of trying to find a breakout pass and I think he'd do okay on a lot of clubs.

Agreed ... if there was nothing there, Lindy would not have been in his face at the end of the season like he was ... not sure he will ever put it all together but he is worth taking a shot at to see if a change of scenery helps. Put it this way ... He's infinitely more talented than Rob Scuderi, who is playing 18 minutes a night for the almighty Penguins right now. But then he is more talented than Nolan Pratt too, and Pratt had a better year, so ... he might always be an enigma.

I'm not even going to comment on that first paragraph, because as Wolf and BTP said, it's not even close to being Ruff's call.

And for your second paragraph, I never bashed Connolly's talent. He is an amazing talent. Really, he is. But like you said, he plays well intil his injuries started.

And to say that Connolly is worth more than Vanek... :death: . You're comparing a guy who has missed almost 2 complete seasons in 4 years, to a guy who put up 77 (I think?)goals at his extremely young age. It's the salary cap era, so there is no way a guy who might play half a season for you should make 7 million dollars. Especially not to a great goal scorer. 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees. And to say he should make 7 million for even 60 games (which is definitely pushing it for Connolly)...that's $116,666 dollars a game.

So you can't just say you'd invest a TON of money on a guy because of his talent alone, especially when he's as injury prone as Connolly. To be honest, I'd love Timmy to be a superstar, too, but it's unfair to the rest of the team to give a guy this many chances and pay him that kind of money.

Agreed ... if there was nothing there, Lindy would not have been in his face at the end of the season like he was ... not sure he will ever put it all together but he is worth taking a shot at to see if a change of scenery helps. Put it this way ... He's infinitely more talented than Rob Scuderi, who is playing 18 minutes a night for the almighty Penguins right now. But then he is more talented than Nolan Pratt too, and Pratt had a better year, so ... he might always be an enigma.

I think Kalinin would be an improvement over Modry, Scuderi, and Jurcina, Berard and most of the Tampa blueline.

That ain't really sayin' a hell of a lot. But he should find a spot if he wants to stay in the league.

He is.

Kalinin could help another team. But we are talking about continuing to build a club that has trip to the cup year after year written on it. The only thing I wanna squeeze are my asscheeks together and pinch off a load of Kalinin. Bye-bye.

Archived