Rioting Canadiens fans torch police cars

millbank

Canadiens Fans Torch Police Cars

Sad 99.9 percent of people would not think of doing such a thing , but a few can stain and ruin a otherwise great event.

-Street celebrations following the seventh-game victory by the Montreal Canadiens over the Boston Bruins turned violent Monday night after vandals torched and smashed more than a dozen police vehicles and damaged local businesses.

Police spokesman Constable Laurent Gingras said at least 13 people were detained, including three minors ? one 14-year-old and two 17-year-olds. They will face charges including break-and-enter, mischief against a police vehicle, assault against a police officer and numerous municipal bylaw violations, he said.

The riot started after a massive crowd celebrating the Canadiens victory started to disperse just before midnight.

Sad 99.9 percent of people would not think of doing such a thing , but a few can stain and ruin a otherwise great event.

-Street celebrations following the seventh-game victory by the Montreal Canadiens over the Boston Bruins turned violent Monday night after vandals torched and smashed more than a dozen police vehicles and damaged local businesses.

Police spokesman Constable Laurent Gingras said at least 13 people were detained, including three minors ? one 14-year-old and two 17-year-olds. They will face charges including break-and-enter, mischief against a police vehicle, assault against a police officer and numerous municipal bylaw violations, he said.

The riot started after a massive crowd celebrating the Canadiens victory started to disperse just before midnight.

It's unfair to call people like that fans. It's the same as when it happens in US cities. The people who do that are not fans. They use the event as an excuse. I doubt any of the persons responsible have every been to a Habs game.

It's unfair to call people like that fans. It's the same as when it happens in US cities. The people who do that are not fans. They use the event as an excuse. I doubt any of the persons responsible have every been to a Habs game.

Spot on.

This riot gets extra special "credit" for coming after a game 7 in the freakin' ECQF. Get a grip, mon p?nale hommes.

Besides which, no community besmirched the good name of a team's fans quite like Chicago did following the Bulls' victory in 1992 - holy shnikes.

Spot on.

This riot gets extra special "credit" for coming after a game 7 in the freakin' ECQF. Get a grip, mon p?nale hommes.

Besides which, no community besmirched the good name of a team's fans quite like Chicago did following the Bulls' victory in 1992 - holy shnikes.

Detroit. 1984. Tigers won the Series.

One of those few points were we agree although that last sentence may be too all encompassing for me.

a little googling reveals that montreal has some experience with getting their riot on.

"Even those passive Canadians have dabbled in the riotous arts. Back in 1955 the Richard Riot gave a black eye to Montreal. On March 13 of that year Hall-of-Famer Maurice Richard was given a match penalty for deliberately injuring Hal Laycoe. Richard was suspended for the remainder of the season even as his Canadiens were battling for first place. Then NHL President Clarence Campbell refused to budge on Richard?s punishment. Canadiens? fans were whipped into frenzy on March 17 when Campbell attended a Canadiens-Red Wings game at the Montreal Forum. Throughout the game the home-town faithful pelted Campbell with eggs, vegetables, and a host of other objects. The game was called off, forfeiting the win to Detroit, and the fans turned violent. The resulting fray resulted in $500,000 damage to the Forum and parts of the legendary arena were destroyed."

What the hell is going to happen if they win the Cup? If these jackasses were at the game, you can bet they were the ones booing the US Anthem AGAIN!!! I'm still glad Boston is gone, but now I hope Montreal is next to the links.

I always sing both, but especially so when the visitors are from Canada and/or during the playoffs (which means I sang myself near-hoarse during the ECF in 1999).

Wasn't aware of

from years ago until today -- while we're obliged to hate the Bruins, I hate them as you do a respected rival -- I also maintain that it'd be great for the league if Boston's status as a hockey town could be further revived.

Questioning them as fans seems like a bit much though, too. Some of those rioters could be great hockey fans, they're just incredibly stupid people.

a little googling reveals that montreal has some experience with getting their riot on.

"Even those passive Canadians have dabbled in the riotous arts. Back in 1955 the Richard Riot gave a black eye to Montreal. On March 13 of that year Hall-of-Famer Maurice Richard was given a match penalty for deliberately injuring Hal Laycoe. Richard was suspended for the remainder of the season even as his Canadiens were battling for first place. Then NHL President Clarence Campbell refused to budge on Richard?s punishment. Canadiens? fans were whipped into frenzy on March 17 when Campbell attended a Canadiens-Red Wings game at the Montreal Forum. Throughout the game the home-town faithful pelted Campbell with eggs, vegetables, and a host of other objects. The game was called off, forfeiting the win to Detroit, and the fans turned violent. The resulting fray resulted in $500,000 damage to the Forum and parts of the legendary arena were destroyed."

Not to mention 1993...

What the hell is going to happen if they win the Cup? If these jackasses were at the game, you can bet they were the ones booing the US Anthem AGAIN!!! I'm still glad Boston is gone, but now I hope Montreal is next to the links.

I lost my appetite for a Montreal win when they booed the anthem last night.

I lost my appetite for a Montreal win when they booed the anthem last night.

It wasn't the first time.

Their fans just annoy me in general though...they boo loudly anytime one of their players even falls to the ice, whining for a penalty. Every team has SOME fans that will do that, but with them it sure sounds like the overwhelming majority. And the stupid "ole" thing....honestly, you stole that from soccer. Get your own chant.

It wasn't the first time.

Their fans just annoy me in general though...they boo loudly anytime one of their players even falls to the ice, whining for a penalty. Every team has SOME fans that will do that, but with them it sure sounds like the overwhelming majority. And the stupid "ole" thing....honestly, you stole that from soccer. Get your own chant.

I know, and that's sad.

This was in the SouthCoastToday.com playoff notebook:

NATIONAL TREASURE

TD Banknorth Garden rocked during the national anthems, but once again there were idiots in the crowd booing, just as there were in Montreal.

A suggestion for the people running video boards during the anthems: Focus on players from the country of the anthem being sung ? from both teams. For example, Mike Komisarek, Chris Higgins, Bryan Smolinski and Francis Bouillon are Americans. That's more U.S.-born players than the Bruins had in the lineup on Saturday. The Bruins, by the way, had 11 Canadians in uniform; Montreal had seven.

Perhaps the fans will think twice about booing when the camera shines on their favorite players.

Truly classy.

The most overused word in sports. Why is it over the last few years that everyone has to be classy? If fans act the way they're supposed to, they're classy. If players don't rub a victory in their opponents face, they're classy. Stay away from the big-bag-o-sports-cliches and label these people for what they really are, scumbags.

The most overused word in sports. Why is it over the last few years that everyone has to be classy? If fans act the way they're supposed to, they're classy. If players don't rub a victory in their opponents face, they're classy. Stay away from the big-bag-o-sports-cliches and label these people for what they really are, scumbags.

One-word answer: Anchorman.

that's an insult that is under-used, or perhaps just under-appreciated and misunderstood - it's true meaning is as nasty a thing as you can say about someone.

and when applied to the not insignificant number of montreal fans who persistently boo the u.s. anthem (

), the shoe fuc*ing fits.

Ahhh yes. The great habit so many people have of beating a joke into the ground. I hate people.

I kind of like some of them and dislike others, so to each his own. But I agree that sports journalism and sports fan discussion is literally drowning in cliches, especially war metaphors, and sometimes it can be real hard to avoid falling into those traps.

I think we should be careful about labeling these people anything. I shudder to think what will happen to the city of Buffalo when we eventually win the cup. I know that I will personally be responsible for the flipping of at least one car. I don't do fires, though.

I think we should be careful about labeling these people anything. I shudder to think what will happen to the city of Buffalo when we eventually win the cup. I know that I will personally be responsible for the flipping of at least one car. I don't do fires, though.

You're comparing a first round, 1 seed over 8 seed victory to a stanley cup win though. I'm sure you can see the difference there.

I would have to say that if the Bills or Sabres ever won a championship there will be some serious car turning in the queen city..So until we win one and dont turn over cars we should look and listen..LOL..However since they didnt ewin one and it was only a playoff series they should stop..

Archived