Bigger Disappointment

jimiVbaby

I hear you. But there is still hope that it happens to Avery.

Problem is that scumbag players like Tucker, Avery, Neil, etc. always get away with their antics, because nobody ever sends out a nobody like Peters to take a golfswing at their faces with his stick.

I guarantee you, somebody breaks his stick across Neil's nose once, and he's done pulling his gutless crap.

Problem is that scumbag players like Tucker, Avery, Neil, etc. always get away with their antics, because nobody ever sends out a nobody like Peters to take a golfswing at their faces with his stick.

I guarantee you, somebody breaks his stick across Neil's nose once, and he's done pulling his gutless crap.

I actually think guys like Neil and Avery have developed a very keen sense of self-preservation on the ice. They know that everyone on the other team would like nothing more than to lay them out, so they are very aware of where everyone is and of how vulnerable they are. Also, they don't carry the puck that much, so that makes them less vulnerable. But if you watch Avery and Neil play, they almost never absorb a big hit, much less a big hit that blindsides them.

I think its funny how just a few months ago after they re-signed Spezza and Heatley there were so many "hey Buffalo, this is how you run a franchise" comments all over the place. Now I'm reading columns on TSN saying they should consider trading one of the two. They aren't even into those contracts yet and their future with the team is already in question. Welcome to the salary cap era.

I thought 90% of their problems stemmed from Emery, the locker room cancer. They need to build around those guys, not get rid of them.

Its tough to build though when there is so much money locked up in that top line, Fisher and Phillips. They've done a good job recently with those cheap spare parts, but there's no guarantee they can continue picking up good role guys like year after year.

I actually think guys like Neil and Avery have developed a very keen sense of self-preservation on the ice. They know that everyone on the other team would like nothing more than to lay them out, so they are very aware of where everyone is and of how vulnerable they are. Also, they don't carry the puck that much, so that makes them less vulnerable. But if you watch Avery and Neil play, they almost never absorb a big hit, much less a big hit that blindsides them.

Yepper.

I imagine it went down this way:

George Laraque: "Good Evening Chris, I just stopped by to say hello and remind you that if you run, talk to, or even look at Sidney or Geno or our goaltender too long there are consequences for you and your team. I just told your bench the same thing but I am talking to you in particular. Oh and you're responsible for what Lapointe does on the ice too, and I let him know. Good luck."

Neil: "Thanks, George. Good luck."

I definitely agree, but I wasn't talking about a hit, I was talking about a regular Chris Simon baseball swing to the face. It has no place in hockey I know, but neither does headhunting pricks like Neil. So where does it stop?

The real problem is that the refs and the league lets these guys get away with bloody murder night in and night out.

I definitely agree, but I wasn't talking about a hit, I was talking about a regular Chris Simon baseball swing to the face. It has no place in hockey I know, but neither does headhunting pricks like Neil. So where does it stop?

The real problem is that the refs and the league lets these guys get away with bloody murder night in and night out.

Which is why the Sabres need a player like that on the roster. Maybe Kaleta can be that player. I hope his play has singled the end of 'The Juice' Peters.

Guest Sloth

I'm just curious if anyone is thinking the same thing I am. Is Ottawa on it's way to being the next Tampa Bay Lightning? Tampa simply sucked after they centered so much money on a FEW players. I hope Ottawa faces the problems Tampa is trying to fix right now.

I'm just curious if anyone is thinking the same thing I am. Is Ottawa on it's way to being the next Tampa Bay Lightning? Tampa simply sucked after they centered so much money on a FEW players. I hope Ottawa faces the problems Tampa is trying to fix right now.

People always refer to Tampa when this stuff comes up but first, Tampa spent more than half of the cap at then time on three players, second they drafted awfully and third they picked the wrong goalie. A lot of teams are putting a good chunk of their cap in their top line, a goalie and a couple of defensemen. As I said before, history is on the side of teams with a few superstars as opposed to teams that try and win with a balanced attack.

That being said, Ottawa could be in trouble if Spezza keeps disappearing in crunch time.

People always refer to Tampa when this stuff comes up but first, Tampa spent more than half of the cap at then time on three players, second they drafted awfully and third they picked the wrong goalie. A lot of teams are putting a good chunk of their cap in their top line, a goalie and a couple of defensemen. As I said before, history is on the side of teams with a few superstars as opposed to teams that try and win with a balanced attack.

That being said, Ottawa could be in trouble if Spezza keeps disappearing in crunch time.

I think it was Brian Burke who said something to the effect of "it's not a matter of committing the bulk of the payroll to a handful of stars, it's making sure you have picked the right star players to commit the bulk to."

Guest Sloth

10 beers used to knock me out, but now I just an ok buzz. Funny, but good, thing is that I only drink once a week. The beer is for the guys getting away from the wives night. Best night of the week! lol

*I won't go above 12...unless it's like a bachelor party or something.

10 beers used to knock me out, but now I just an ok buzz. Funny, but good, thing is that I only drink once a week.

Opposite for me. In my undergrad days, I could drink a ton and not be wasted. Now, I get a buzz from the first one and am quite the "cheap date" if I drink more.

Another big difference is that Ottawa actually has good defensemen on their roster.

I'll give you two: Meszaros. Volchenkov...... then who? I'll concede that Meszaros-Volchenkov would be the top 2-Dmen if they played for Buffalo (how good that makes them is open to debate), but after that OTT's defensemen start to look suspect to me.

Redden is being run out of town (he may want to get out in front and make it look like a parade) and hasn't been effective for the last two seasons. For the $$ he will make he's just not worth it - (see Leafs, Toronto for an example of what happens when adequate d-men get paid superstar money).

Phillips is a good guy but his skills are dwindling fast. Schubert is big - and maybe a more effective forward. Richardson is big/slow/old. Brian Lee is an unproven prospect at this stage. Commodore is a fan favourite and all round good guy but he is 5th-6th D-man.

Archived