Bigger Disappointment

jimiVbaby

I would have to say the Senators were the biggest disappointment in hockey this year.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer team. When Alfredson was clocked vs Toronto at the end of the year, I knew something special was going to happen in the playoffs. SWEEP! To their coach, their fans, and their players, I give a sincere :lol:

Very few expected Buffalo to compete for the Cup after the off-season from hell, so the Senators were definitely the bigger disappointment.

Tommy two-times...It's nice to see the Sens take it in the poop shoot, but little solice to a bad season. Still, I think the Sabres are close to re-building a contender.

I would have to say the Senators were the biggest disappointment in hockey this year.

Not even close in my book. The Sabres were the bigger dissappointment. They played like crap for long stretches of this year right from the very first game. Ottawa flamed out, true dat. But Buffalo's flame never got started. The season was foretold in the first couple games when Comrie lit them up. Comrie???

Not even close in my book. The Sabres were the bigger dissappointment. They played like crap for long stretches of this year right from the very first game. Ottawa flamed out, true dat. But Buffalo's flame never got started. The season was foretold in the first couple games when Comrie lit them up. Comrie???

Have to agree, we lost 11 in a row for Christ sakes, if that doesn't spell disappointment, what does?

Ottawa's long season last year caught up with them, as they ran out of gas and had key players injured for a change.

Buffalo played like a junior team, meaning that while they might have the talent to compete, they never had the mindset nor focus to compete.

And even if they DID have the mindset, these guys are going nowhere until they start doing the simple things, like sticking up for your goalie when somebody runs him.

All in all, very disappointing.

Not sure. Sabres are more upsetting in that they're the team I care about. But as someone else said, no one really expected much out of them after last summer. The thought was they'd pick up 7th or 8th. If the Sens had tanked a few months earlier, we probably would have.

Ottawa on the other hand? That's a pretty big dump they took. From an NHL point of view? The Sens, hands down. From my point of view, though, it's the swordsman.

Buffalo lost their captains in an ugly way, and followed it up by being forced to trade away their one all star for younger, not quite as developed, talent. Ottawa didn't lose anybody except Comrie.

In the final analysis, the '08 Sens won as many playoff games as the '08 Sabres.

They both are big disappointments, but I'd go with the Sens.

I'd even add that the '07 Sabres were a bigger disappointment than the '08 Sabres.

Buffalo lost their captains in an ugly way, and followed it up by being forced to trade away their one all star for younger, not quite as developed, talent. Ottawa didn't lose anybody except Comrie.

In the final analysis, the '08 Sens won as many playoff games as the '08 Sabres.

They both are big disappointments, but I'd go with the Sens.

I'd even add that the '07 Sabres were a bigger disappointment than the '08 Sabres.

Absolutely! The 2007 team was expected to win it all. This year's team was supposed to sneak into the playoffs. I think not winning the Cup is a bigger let-down than missing the playoffs. But, would you rather get kicked in the balls, or punched there?

I would definitely agree with that. After the 2006 season I was thinking Stanley Cup or bust. The 07 team was fun to watch at times, but would disappear in too many games much like the 08 team did. The only difference in 07 and 08 was the team was winning more shoot outs than losing, and they didn't give up leads. Which probably means the 07 squad had better leadership, but how good could that leadership be if they let the team get away with playing only half of many of the games. The 06 team was just so much fun to watch it is too bad we weren't able to keep that whole team together for one or two more years.

I would definitely agree with that. After the 2006 season I was thinking Stanley Cup or bust. The 07 team was fun to watch at times, but would disappear in too many games much like the 08 team did. The only difference in 07 and 08 was the team was winning more shoot outs than losing, and they didn't give up leads. Which probably means the 07 squad had better leadership, but how good could that leadership be if they let the team get away with playing only half of many of the games. The 06 team was just so much fun to watch it is too bad we weren't able to keep that whole team together for one or two more years.

Right on. That was one of my favorite sports teams of all time. The mix of guys, style of play, the NHL returning, the Sabres returning to the playoffs, having to conquer the evil empire Ottawa in the playoffs, 7-6, etc., was just perfect. And of all the guys that have left, McKee might have been my favorite.

Ottawa is in terrible shape.

Going into the off-season they have one line (@25 Mil), no clear goaltender, and 1 d pairing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they dump Emery. His off-ice troubles aside, I think Gerber is a better goaltender anyway and they have Brian Elliot (NCAA Champ at Wisconsin in '06) in their system...who already played 1 game for Ottawa this year.

And if we thought Darcy had a lot of work to do this off-season, look at Ottawa's free agents (RFA & UFA). X said their one line is intact, but sheesh.....Kelly, Vermette, Stillman, Robitaille, Lapointe, & Donovan are all FAs in one way or another.

That's like saying the Grand Canyon is just a little gorge.

Guest Sloth

Ottawa has to be the biggest disappointment. People were predicting them to go to the Cup before the season started. Once the season started, they were on fire. By mid-season, they simply imploded. I don't think ANYONE thought that would happen. People were just hoping Buffalo would make the playoffs. So I don't see how you can compare the two. It wouldn't surprise me if a number of Ottawa fans were more pissed/disapointed about their team than a number Buffalo fans are about their team.

I am glad Ottaw got knocked out though. I hope Philly is eliminated ASAP. I don't have any type of hatred for the Rangers and I still have respect for Drury, so I'm not as concerned about how well/bad they do. I will admit I don't want them to the Cup. Buying the Cup is nothing more than horse shitt.

I am glad Ottaw got knocked out though. I hope Philly is eliminated ASAP. I don't have any type of hatred for the Rangers and I still have respect for Drury, so I'm not as concerned about how well/bad they do. I will admit I don't want them to the Cup. Buying the Cup is nothing more than horse shitt.

If thats horse shitt, then dump me a big ol' pile at center ice at HSBC. :D

Very few expected Buffalo to compete for the Cup after the off-season from hell, so the Senators were definitely the bigger disappointment.

Yep... Considering that OTT had that early season success... They really tanked miserably.

BFLO was consistant all year... Hovering around .500 with a good Dec. and Feb....

Not sure. Sabres are more upsetting in that they're the team I care about. But as someone else said, no one really expected much out of them after last summer. The thought was they'd pick up 7th or 8th. If the Sens had tanked a few months earlier, we probably would have.

Ottawa on the other hand? That's a pretty big dump they took. From an NHL point of view? The Sens, hands down. From my point of view, though, it's the swordsman.

Heck, if BFLO would have just beat OTT in that game they collapsed in, OT may have been out and BFLO in...

Absolutely! The 2007 team was expected to win it all. This year's team was supposed to sneak into the playoffs. I think not winning the Cup is a bigger let-down than missing the playoffs. But, would you rather get kicked in the balls, or punched there?

Sorry... Have to say it... Even though it is a family board:

I'd rather get sucked slightly above!

;) ;)

It couldn't have happened to a nicer team. When Alfredson was clocked vs Toronto at the end of the year, I knew something special was going to happen in the playoffs. SWEEP! To their coach, their fans, and their players, I give a sincere :lol:

I would much rather have had that happen to Chris Neil, I can't stand that bastard.

Archived