Bigger Disappointment

jimiVbaby

Tampa might be having problems now, but at least they have a cup under their belt. Ottawa couldn't even pull that off. Too bad, I feel sick for them. :death:

I'd happily deal with the down cycle Tampa is going through right now if we had a Cup before the slide...

Opposite for me. In my undergrad days, I could drink a ton and not be wasted. Now, I get a buzz from the first one and am quite the "cheap date" if I drink more.

Same here. :beer:

(Yay! We got our smilies back! Thanks, SDS! :thumbsup:)

I'll give you two: Meszaros. Volchenkov...... then who? I'll concede that Meszaros-Volchenkov would be the top 2-Dmen if they played for Buffalo (how good that makes them is open to debate), but after that OTT's defensemen start to look suspect to me.

Redden is being run out of town (he may want to get out in front and make it look like a parade) and hasn't been effective for the last two seasons. For the $$ he will make he's just not worth it - (see Leafs, Toronto for an example of what happens when adequate d-men get paid superstar money).

Phillips is a good guy but his skills are dwindling fast. Schubert is big - and maybe a more effective forward. Richardson is big/slow/old. Brian Lee is an unproven prospect at this stage. Commodore is a fan favourite and all round good guy but he is 5th-6th D-man.

Well since you've already named 4 guys better than anyone on Tampa's roster, I think you answered your own question.

Another big difference is that Ottawa actually has good defensemen on their roster.

Ad nauseum, IMO... Than it is the 70% or more of the equation: Coaching. With OTT it has to be around 80%... Goaltending on the team does take it down though and as with any team can totally put to pot the whole structure of winning! But OTT's goaltending is very adequate if not slightly above, IMO.

Ad nauseum, IMO... Than it is the 70% or more of the equation: Coaching. With OTT it has to be around 80%... Goaltending on the team does take it down though and as with any team can totally put to pot the whole structure of winning! But OTT's goaltending is very adequate if not slightly above, IMO.

The board will recess as we call for a translation.

The board will recess as we call for a translation.

:lol: :lol:

Come on... You can follow, I know it is hard! :bag:

If it ain't D... Then in must be coaching... You know my opinion how important coaching is, no?

Then again, you disagree that they have a decent D... No wonders why you are confused!

I'll give you two: Meszaros. Volchenkov...... then who? I'll concede that Meszaros-Volchenkov would be the top 2-Dmen if they played for Buffalo (how good that makes them is open to debate), but after that OTT's defensemen start to look suspect to me.

Redden is being run out of town (he may want to get out in front and make it look like a parade) and hasn't been effective for the last two seasons. For the $$ he will make he's just not worth it - (see Leafs, Toronto for an example of what happens when adequate d-men get paid superstar money).

Phillips is a good guy but his skills are dwindling fast. Schubert is big - and maybe a more effective forward. Richardson is big/slow/old. Brian Lee is an unproven prospect at this stage. Commodore is a fan favourite and all round good guy but he is 5th-6th D-man.

???? Based on what? I think he'd be on Buffalo's number won pair as well.

Opposite for me. In my undergrad days, I could drink a ton and not be wasted. Now, I get a buzz from the first one and am quite the "cheap date" if I drink more.

If that refers to an increased incidence of self-pleasuring, it was really quite a bit more than the board needed to know.

Every time something is expected of Ottawa, they choke.

It's their history, and this was simply the greatest choke of all...from the best start in NHL history, with NHLdotcom calling them the best team in hockey, to a slow agonizing slide into chokedom. They couldn't handle the pressure, as usual.

So now that the Ducks are out, do they enter into this conversation? I thought they'd they'd go further than 6 games into the first round...

They probably should be in the conversation, given the hype once Neidermayer and Selanne returned...

They probably should be in the conversation, given the hype once Neidermayer and Selanne returned...

They've also got their rings to fall back on.

The Ducks fell short in the first round against a very good team from the very top heavy west. Buffalo and Ottawa couldn't do a thing in the much weaker east. To me, Anahiem doesn't deserve mentioning in the same sentence as those 2 teams.

So who will be next years team that everyone has to emulate because its the only successful way to win the cup like Anaheim last year?

The biggest disapointment was the Sabres because thats the team I follow. I could care less about the Sens. Atleats they made the playoffs and had a chance, Buffalo didn't even make it that far after being favorites to win the cup last year and the best regular season team last year.

The only way the Sens are the bigger disapointment is because they had higher expectations put on them this year and were expected to be cup contenders, Buffalo had no expectations except to maybe sneak into the playoffs by all the "Experts"

So who will be next years team that everyone has to emulate because its the only successful way to win the cup like Anaheim last year?

The biggest disappointment was the Sabres because thats the team I follow. I could care less about the Sens. Atleats they made the playoffs and had a chance, Buffalo didn't even make it that far after being favorites to win the cup last year and the best regular season team last year.

The only way the Sens are the bigger disappointment is because they had higher expectations put on them this year and were expected to be cup contenders, Buffalo had no expectations except to maybe sneak into the playoffs by all the "Experts"

The whole point of this topic was to argue which team had the most disappointing season. I think you make the real case in your final paragraph, and you do it quite eloquently. Ottawa was supposed to win it all and they were swept in the first round. However, you mention that the Sabres were a bigger disappointment just because that is who you follow.

I am also a huge fan of the Bills, but that is not the basis for them being one of the biggest disappointment in the NFL last year. They finished where they were supposed to. They made an exciting run, but when it was all said and done, they met expectations. (You could almost use that argument for the Sabres.)

The whole point of this topic was to argue which team had the most disappointing season. I think you make the real case in your final paragraph, and you do it quite eloquently. Ottawa was supposed to win it all and they were swept in the first round. However, you mention that the Sabres were a bigger disappointment just because that is who you follow.

I am also a huge fan of the Bills, but that is not the basis for them being one of the biggest disappointment in the NFL last year. They finished where they were supposed to. They made an exciting run, but when it was all said and done, they met expectations. (You could almost use that argument for the Sabres.)

The first part is basically just stating and answering the question of who I feel was the biggest disapointment this year. Since the 2 teams were both considered disapointments this year, I take the Sabres as my choice because they are the team I follow and I find it the most disapointing that my team was such a disapointment.

In general, as a neutral hockey fan though, I would say the Sens because they were supposed to go far, and had huge expectations from the start (although since the start of the year, I would say those expectations were cut down drastically), where as with the Sabres, they had no expectations, if they made the playoffs it was considered good for them, they played like many of the "experts" expected, struggling to make the playoffs

They've also got their rings to fall back on.

The Ducks fell short in the first round against a very good team from the very top heavy west. Buffalo and Ottawa couldn't do a thing in the much weaker east. To me, Anahiem doesn't deserve mentioning in the same sentence as those 2 teams.

Didn't say they were the biggest disappointment, only that they certainly do belong in the conversation. They won the Cup last year and brought a very similar roster to the playoffs this year, but got bounced in the first round. If we won the Cup and took a very similar roster to the next year's playoffs, I'd be ecstatic that we already earned a ring but would still be disappointed with a first-round exit.

Didn't say they were the biggest disappointment, only that they certainly do belong in the conversation. They won the Cup last year and brought a very similar roster to the playoffs this year, but got bounced in the first round. If we won the Cup and took a very similar roster to the next year's playoffs, I'd be ecstatic that we already earned a ring but would still be disappointed with a first-round exit.

Yeah, obviously its a disappointment, but Dallas is a really good team. Its not like they locked up a high seed and got bounced by a team like Boston or Calgary (if either ends up happening). They also got off to a very slow start this year, so in terms of teams with disappointing first round losses, the Ottawa sweep is tough to top.

Yeah, obviously its a disappointment, but Dallas is a really good team. Its not like they locked up a high seed and got bounced by a team like Boston or Calgary (if either ends up happening). They also got off to a very slow start this year, so in terms of teams with disappointing first round losses, the Ottawa sweep is tough to top.

Exactly, which is why I said not the biggest disappointment (certainly not more than Ottawa/Buffalo) but they deserve to be included in the conversation.

Huh, I'd just always assumed that the world would simply end after Buffalo won a championship. :unsure:

Huh, I'd just always assumed that the world would simply end after Buffalo won a championship. :unsure:

Quite possible. I think the world would end for a lot of Sabres fans right after the Sabres hoist the Cup - there would be a whole lotta people dying happy...

Archived