Important Off-Season Dates

Bmwolf21

Per TSN (posted about halfway down on the left) - here are the upcoming important dates on the NHL offseason and international hockey calendar. Maybe the mods will want to pin it to the top.

Calendar

* May 2 - 18: World Championships - Quebec City/Halifax

* Jun. 9: Last possible day for Stanley Cup Final

* Jun. 12: NHL Award Presentations

* Jun. 15: Deadline for first club-elected salary arbitration

* Jun. 20 - 21: NHL Entry Draft in Ottawa

* Jul. 1: Free Agency period begins

* Jul. 5: Deadline for player-elected salary arbitration

* Jul. 6: Deadline for club-elected salary arbitration

* Jul. 20 - Aug. 4 : Salary arbitration hearings held

* Aug. 6: Deadline for arbitration decisions to be rendered

* Dec. 26 - Jan 5: 2009 World Juniors in Ottawa

Ugh, two more months before anything too exciting (for the Sabres, anyway). Hopefully, they'll wrap up some of our RFAs in the mean time to keep things from getting too boring.

This year I find myself enjoying the playoffs more as a hockey fan than I did the last two years as a Sabres fan. Less stress - although I'd much rather be sweating out a first-round matchup right now....

• 1 month later...
Anyone care to explain the difference between these two? I'm too lazy to go in search of the answer.

Come on, shrader ... June 15 is the FIRST club-elected salary arbitration .. the other is ... well ... not the first. :blink:

Who knows ... I'm still trying to figure out why they felt the need abbreviate June and July .... it's the NHL, they probably changed the date and forgot to tell anyone ... like a certain rule a few years back ...

FYI: Draft party at HSBC, watch Ottawa live, autograph sessions, dressing room tours, your kids can play street hockey on the floor of the arena for free... :thumbsup:

http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=365222

and free parking!

Hopefully this will also be the day when the Sabres Store features 50% off Max Afinogenov jerseys on the "former players" rack.

Hopefully this will also be the day when the Sabres Store features 50% off Max Afinogenov jerseys on the "former players" rack.

Much more likely to sell out than the Kalinin jerseys even deeply discounted.

Sorry to hijack for a second but...

If you were to buy a jersey with a players name and numbers I assume you could change them, my questions is how much money to do that?

I thought to save a few bucks I could get one of these and make a Paille. Or a Pie-YAY?

and lastly, Tommy W, we know you're out there, don't go into the light but come out of the dark.

If you were to buy a jersey with a players name and numbers I assume you could change them, my questions is how much money to do that?

I thought to save a few bucks I could get one of these and make a Paille. Or a Pie-YAY?

and lastly, Tommy W, we know you're out there, don't go into the light but come out of the dark.

I begged him to come back too, but he's playing hard-to-get.

Much more likely to sell out than the Kalinin jerseys even deeply discounted.

Haha true. Well, that should make for an interesting convergence of ideas....what I used to say about Kalinin: more giveaways than the Salvation Army....and now you'll actually be able to find his jersey there...weird!

The applicable CBA rules are in Article 10.2(a)(ii)-(v)

Quote:

(ii) In order to receive a Right of First Refusal or Draft Choice

Compensation (at the Prior Club's option) with respect to a

Restricted Free Agent, the Prior Club of a Restricted Free Agent

must tender to the Player, no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time

on the later of June 25 or the first Monday after the Entry Draft of

the final year of the Player's SPC, a "Qualifying Offer", which

shall be an offer of an SPC, for one League Year, which is subject

to salary arbitration if such Player is otherwise eligible for salary

arbitration in accordance with Section 12.1, on at least the

following terms and conditions:

(A) if the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary is less

than or equal to $660,000 for that League Year, 110% of

the prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary.

(B) if the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary is

greater than $660,000, but less than $1,000,000 for that

League Year, 105% of his prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL

Salary, but in no event to exceed $1,000,000.

© if the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary is equal

to or greater than $1,000,000 for that League year, 100% of

the prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary.

(D) if a Player is eligible to receive a Two-Way Qualifying

Offer, the Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary component

shall not be less than the higher of the Player's prior year's

Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary, if any, or the minimum

Minor League salary.

A Qualifying Offer shall not be open for acceptance prior to July 1. If a

Qualifying Offer meeting the above requirements is timely made, the Prior Club shall

have a Right of First Refusal, exercisable in accordance with Section 10.3 below, or Draft

Choice Compensation, exercisable in accordance with Section 10.4 below. A Qualifying

Offer will be deemed to have met the above requirements if the Prior Club timely

provides the Player a completed copy of the notice attached as Exhibit 19 hereto, in

accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto.

(iii) A Club's Qualifying Offer must be a One-Way Qualifying Offer if

the applicable Player has: (A) actually played (excluding games

missed for injury, illness or disability) 180 or more NHL Games in

the previous three (3) NHL Seasons, (B) played at least sixty (60)

NHL Games in the previous NHL Season, and © not cleared

Waivers in the period between the 12th day prior to the

commencement of the previous Regular Season and the end of a

Club's previous Playing Season. For purposes hereof only, a

goaltender is deemed to have played an NHL Game when he was

dressed and on the bench as a backup. In all other cases, a

Qualifying Offer may be a Two-Way Qualifying Offer.

(iv) In the event a Prior Club fails to make a Qualifying Offer as set

forth in this Section 10.2 and fails to elect salary arbitration

pursuant to Section 12.3(a), the Player shall immediately become

an Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to

negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be

completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any such Player,

without penalty or restriction or being subject to any Right of First

Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation, or any other compensation or

equalization obligation of any kind.

(v) A Qualifying Offer shall automatically expire at 5:00 p.m. New

York time on July 15; provided, however, that the Club may by

written notice to Central Registry and the NHLPA, sent in

accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, provided on or before 5:00 p.m.

New York time on July 15, extend the deadline for Qualifying

Offer acceptance to a date (which must be a fixed and definitive

calendar date) determined in its sole discretion.

Anyone care to explain the difference between these two? I'm too lazy to go in search of the answer.

From what I've read it seems that if the club, speaking about a RFA, does not want to or can't figure it out, a qualifying offer to a player, the 'first club elected SA' means just the first chance for the club to elect to go to arbitration to determine a players salary instead of a qualifying offer.

The player can take it or leave it, elect his own arbitration, and then the club gets the last shot.

Bernier, Goose, the General, Pie-YAY and Mancari are all RFA's

Some of it is here: have fun reading...

ARTICLE 12: SALARY ARBITRATION 12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration.

(a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the qualifications set forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(b) below:

First SPC Signing Age Minimum Level of Professional

Experience Required to be

Eligible for Salary Arbitration

18-20 4 years professional experience

21 3 years professional experience

22-23 2 years professional experience

24 and older 1 year professional experience

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.

(b) Only Players who qualify as Restricted Free Agents as described in Section 10.2 of this Agreement, who meet the qualifications in Section 12.1(a) above, and who have not signed an Offer Sheet are eligible either to elect salary arbitration or be subject to a Club-elected salary arbitration.

? As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he first signs an SPC regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

12.2 Notice of Player Election of Salary Arbitration.

A Player (or a Player's Certified Agent, acting on the Player's behalf), electing salary arbitration must do so by making a written request, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, utilizing the form attached hereto as Exhibit 23, by facsimile to Central Registry, the NHLPA and the Player's Club by not later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 5 in the League Year in which such Player is eligible for salary arbitration.

12.3 Eligibility for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration. Subject to subsections ? and (d) below and the eligibility requirements set forth in Article 12.1, a Club will have the right to elect to take a Player to salary arbitration under the following conditions:

(a) Club-Elected Salary Arbitration For Players With Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries plus Signing, Roster, and Reporting Bonuses Greater Than $1,500,000 In The Prior League Year.

(i) If a Player who is otherwise eligible to receive a Qualifying Offer and become a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent had a Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus Signing, Roster and Reporting Bonuses in excess of $1,500,000 in the aggregate in the final League Year of his most recent SPC, a Club may elect to file for salary arbitration to determine the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary for the upcoming League Year in lieu of making a Qualifying Offer to such Player.

(ii) In any salary arbitration that takes place pursuant to this Section 12.3(a), the Salary Arbitrator may not award the Player a Paragraph 1 Salary that is less than eighty-five (85) percent of the aggregate sum of Player's Paragraph 1 Salary plus Signing, Reporting and Roster Bonuses in the final League Year of his most recent SPC.

(b) Club-Elected Salary Arbitration For Players Who Receive Qualifying Offers.

(i) If a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent has not accepted his Club's Qualifying Offer, nor filed a request for Player-elected salary arbitration in accordance with Section 12.2 above, the Club may elect to file for salary arbitration to determine that Player's Paragraph 1 Salary for that League Year.

(ii) If a Club elects salary arbitration in accordance with this subsection, the Club's offer in salary arbitration must be equal to or higher than the Player's aggregate Paragraph 1 Salary plus Signing, Reporting and Roster Bonuses in the final League Year of the Player's SPC.

? A Player will be subject to only one Club-elected salary arbitration in his career. Notwithstanding Section (a) or (b) above, a Player as to whom a Club has elected salary arbitration, regardless of whether a hearing took place in connection with that election, is no longer eligible for Club-elected salary arbitration. If a Club subsequently elects to take such a Player to salary arbitration, that election will be null and void.

(d) Notwithstanding Section (a) or (b) above, a Club may exercise its right to elect salary arbitration not more than twice per League Year. If a Club elects salary arbitration more than twice per League Year, any subsequent election after its second election will be null and void.

12.4 Notice of Club Election.

(a) A Club electing salary arbitration pursuant to Section 12.3(a) above must do so by making a written request, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, utilizing the form attached hereto as Exhibit 22, by facsimile to the parties listed in Section ? below by not later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals in the League Year prior to the League Year for which the Club seeks to determine a Player's Paragraph 1 Salary by arbitration.

(b) A Club electing salary arbitration pursuant to Section 12.3(b) above, must do so by making a written request, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, utilizing the form attached hereto as Exhibit 22 by facsimile to the parties listed in Section ? below, during the period commencing upon the Player's deadline to select salary arbitration and continuing for 24 hours thereafter (i.e., commencing July 5 at 5:00 p.m. New York time and ending July 6 at 5:00 p.m. New York time).

From what I've read it seems that if the club, speaking about a RFA, does not want to or can't figure it out, a qualifying offer to a player, the 'first club elected SA' means just the first chance for the club to elect to go to arbitration to determine a players salary instead of a qualifying offer.

The player can take it or leave it, elect his own arbitration, and then the club gets the last shot.

There's nothing in there to suggest that the player can turn it down. The club elected arbitration was set up so that the teams could protect a guy from receiving offer sheets from other teams. If the player had the right to refuse it, that would defeat the purpose. The earlier deadline looks like it is setup for slightly higher priced players who haven't lived up to their contracts, but the teams still want to hold on to them.

There's nothing in there to suggest that the player can turn it down. The club elected arbitration was set up so that the teams could protect a guy from receiving offer sheets from other teams. If the player had the right to refuse it, that would defeat the purpose. The earlier deadline looks like it is setup for slightly higher priced players who haven't lived up to their contracts, but the teams still want to hold on to them.

You are correct. The player can't turn down a club-elected salary arbitration. He can, however, still negotiate with the club until an award is handed down.

You are also correct about what the 1st club arbitration deadline is for. It provides a team a chance to reduce a player making over $1.5MM by up to 15%. The team chooses this, rather than making a QO to the player. It's going to be extremely rare as the player will have to be off his entry level deal (w/ very few exceptions which would make a team nuts to take that player to TE-SA) AND played well enough on his entry level deal to have received an offer of $1.5MM or more AND still be uneligible to be an UFA AND played poorly enough that the team wants some of its money back AND has enough potential that the team isn't willing to simply cut ties.

If a player has received a QO, he may elect arbitration.

If a player that received a QO, doesn't elect arbitration by July 5, the team has 1 day to file for arbitration. So pretty much all RFA's that don't get offers prior to FA that they like can receive offer sheets in the 1st few days of July with their current team not having much they can do about it (short of having given the player an offer big enough to keep him out of FA) regardless of whether the team planned to take the player to arbitration or not.

Cost me $85 a jersey last year for the kit and to have names and numbers put on.

You are correct. The player can't turn down a club-elected salary arbitration. He can, however, still negotiate with the club until an award is handed down.

You are also correct about what the 1st club arbitration deadline is for. It provides a team a chance to reduce a player making over $1.5MM by up to 15%. The team chooses this, rather than making a QO to the player. It's going to be extremely rare as the player will have to be off his entry level deal (w/ very few exceptions which would make a team nuts to take that player to TE-SA) AND played well enough on his entry level deal to have received an offer of $1.5MM or more AND still be uneligible to be an UFA AND played poorly enough that the team wants some of its money back AND has enough potential that the team isn't willing to simply cut ties.

If a player has received a QO, he may elect arbitration.

If a player that received a QO, doesn't elect arbitration by July 5, the team has 1 day to file for arbitration. So pretty much all RFA's that don't get offers prior to FA that they like can receive offer sheets in the 1st few days of July with their current team not having much they can do about it (short of having given the player an offer big enough to keep him out of FA) regardless of whether the team planned to take the player to arbitration or not.

Maybe not enough coffee this morning, but this is more of what I meant by 'leave it'. Thanx T-T

Some other snippets just to get them in one spot.

As per the collective bargaining agreement, in order to protect its right to match an offer sheet and receive draft pick compensation if choosing not to match, an NHL team must tender a qualifying offer no later than June 25.

The qualifying offer must be for an amount at least equal to the player?s 2007-08 compensation for those who made $1 million or more this past season in base salary. None of the Sabres RFA's are in this spot.

If less than $1 million but more than $660,000, the qualifying offer must be for 105 percent of the player?s ?07-08 salary. Goose and Bernier fall in this range. However, the qualifying offer does not have to exceed $1 million if, for example, the player was making $990,000 in ?07-08. That player?s qualifying offer would be $1 million. For players making less than $660,000, (Paille and MacArthur) the qualifying offer must have a 10 percent raise on the player?s ?07-08 salary.

Qualifying offers can either be one-way (same salary whether the player is in the NHL or minors) or two-way (higher salary in the NHL than in the minors) depending on each player?s circumstances.

June 25: Group 2 players who do not receive qualifying offers on June 25 immediately become unrestricted free agents.

July 1 is the first day Group 2 players can sign contracts and is also the first day teams can submit offer sheets.

July 5, is the deadline for Group 2 players to file for salary arbitration. Not all Group 2 players have arbitration rights. I don't think Paille or Bernier do becasue you need 4 years with a team or signing age plus yrs experience has to be 24 or more.

After players make their decision whether or not to file for salary arbitration, NHL teams can file on anyone eligible who did not elect on July 6. Teams will take a player to salary arbitration to ensure he will be signed for the start of the season and to prevent another team from submitting an offer sheet.

July 15: For players who did not have arbitration rights and for those who did not file, their qualifying offer expires on July 15.

July 21 to Aug. 4: Salary arbitration period, but depending on the number of cases, the hearings will likely wind up on Aug. 1.

Anyone want to guess the offers or lack thereof to Bernier, Goose, the General, Pie-YAY and Mancari

Reducing a salary seems like the main intent of it, but I don't see anything that says it has to be used for that purpose. I'm wondering if anything could stop a team from using it as a way of not even letting a player get to the point where another team might make an offer. I guess it really doesn't matter though since it is such a rare situation. Looking around the league right now there are maybe 10 guys (stopped counting after I found 6) eligible for this in the next 2 years.

spndnchz, how bored are you that you're quoting the CBA today?

Reducing a salary seems like the main intent of it, but I don't see anything that says it has to be used for that purpose. I'm wondering if anything could stop a team from using it as a way of not even letting a player get to the point where another team might make an offer. I guess it really doesn't matter though since it is such a rare situation. Looking around the league right now there are maybe 10 guys (stopped counting after I found 6) eligible for this in the next 2 years.

spndnchz, how bored are you that you're quoting the CBA today?

Very very...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rGDb8X8limY&feature=related

I'm bored...

I'm a cheerlady bored

I'm waisting my long

I'm living like a dog

I'm bored!

I bore myself to sleep at night

I bore myself in broad daylight

I'm bored!

Archived