Important Off-Season Dates

Bmwolf21

We should see some offers going out to the RFA's within the next week if the Sabres want to keep their right to match... Goose Paille Bernier. A friend of mine who knows Paille said they haven't talked with him as of last weekend.

We should see some offers going out to the RFA's within the next week if the Sabres want to keep their right to match... Goose Paille Bernier. A friend of mine who knows Paille said they haven't talked with him as of last weekend.

They don't have to talk to them. The qualifying offers are nothing more than a technicality.

They don't have to talk to them. The qualifying offers are nothing more than a technicality.

So you think the offers will be for minimums? Or will they actually put a decent price out there?

i.e.:

low qualifying offer

see what other teams offer

match or let them go

if no other offers then club arbitration?

So you think the offers will be for minimums? Or will they actually put a decent price out there?

i.e.:

low qualifying offer

see what other teams offer

match or let them go

if no other offers then club arbitration?

a qualifying offer is by definition a formula based on previous salary.

It just signals the team's intent to retain a player's rights - provided the team has cap space.

From there players can sign offer sheets with other clubs, select arbitration if eligible, or accept the offer.

It doesn't preclude a long term negotiation.

Not getting a qualifying offer is like getting cut.

a qualifying offer is by definition a formula based on previous salary.

It just signals the team's intent to retain a player's rights - provided the team has cap space.

From there players can sign offer sheets with other clubs, select arbitration if eligible, or accept the offer.

It doesn't preclude a long term negotiation.

Not getting a qualifying offer is like getting cut.

I understood that already (post #23), do you think they'll get decent offers is my question. I think they will, who would want these boys to go UFA?

I understood that already (post #23), do you think they'll get decent offers is my question. I think they will, who would want these boys to go UFA?

They'll all get qualified. That's not the issue here. The offers will be for the minimum increase and then they will work from there. That's the way they've always done things with the RFAs and its not going to change now.

They'll all get qualified. That's not the issue here. The offers will be for the minimum increase and then they will work from there. That's the way they've always done things with the RFAs and its not going to change now.

So they all get minimum QO. Darcy waits to see if other clubs make offers, if they do DR matches or not. If not Goose can take arbitration July 5, and Paille and Bernier have to take the QO or if the Sabres really want them go to club elected on the 6th of July?

sorry... :blush:

I don't think any of ours will get or sign offer sheets. Mostly because there are comparable UFA veterans out there at this point that won't require additional compensation.

sorry... :blush:

I don't think any of ours will get or sign offer sheets. Mostly because there are comparable UFA veterans out there at this point that won't require additional compensation.

No sorry needed, but taken.

I would think Toronto might make a run at Paille.

help me out, folks: does the cba also dictate what the length of these QO's can be with the RFA's?

CBA dictates just one year offer to be qualifying. It must be a one-way if:

180games in past three seasons

60 games in previous season

Goose Paille Bernier all played over 60 last season.

I think Paille was the only two way last year.

So they all get minimum QO. Darcy waits to see if other clubs make offers, if they do DR matches or not. If not Goose can take arbitration July 5, and Paille and Bernier have to take the QO or if the Sabres really want them go to club elected on the 6th of July?

Paille's arbitration eligible too. He accepted his QO last year, gambling on a big season that would earn him some good money with a potential arbitration this year. I'd say that worked out pretty well for him. Both players will file for arbitration and the team will probably work out something ahead of time.

You seem a bit worried about the possibility of someone signing an offer sheet. That's not going to happen. Look at the people who have gone that route over the last two years. Kevin Lowe went after high profile players on cash strapped teams(Vanek, Penner). The year before no longer employed Bobby Clarke went after young talent on another cash strapped team (Vancouver, Kesler). Clarke's the only one that went that route and now he's out of a job, so that just leaves the higher profile players that could end up as targets. None of our guys are even close to that level. No one will go after them.

Paille's arbitration eligible too. He accepted his QO last year, gambling on a big season that would earn him some good money with a potential arbitration this year. I'd say that worked out pretty well for him. Both players will file for arbitration and the team will probably work out something ahead of time.

You seem a bit worried about the possibility of someone signing an offer sheet. That's not going to happen. Look at the people who have gone that route over the last two years. Kevin Lowe went after high profile players on cash strapped teams(Vanek, Penner). The year before no longer employed Bobby Clarke went after young talent on another cash strapped team (Vancouver, Kesler). Clarke's the only one that went that route and now he's out of a job, so that just leaves the higher profile players that could end up as targets. None of our guys are even close to that level. No one will go after them.

I hope I can quote you on that.

Archived