Peter's Fighting Style

SwampD

I think Peters is a disgrace. Rob Ray calls him out everytime he does that stupid head-turning crap and praises guys like Mair and Goose who will get right in there and start throwing. Losing Peters, which will never happen, would be a step forward for this bunch of wusses.

I think in that picture, they're clearly highlighting the beating that Ducks will give anyone in their path.

That picture might be apropos for next year's media guy. Anaheim beating the crap out of Buffalo and Buffalo turning the other cheek, or in this case other side of their head

I think Peters is a disgrace. Rob Ray calls him out everytime he does that stupid head-turning crap and praises guys like Mair and Goose who will get right in there and start throwing. Losing Peters, which will never happen, would be a step forward for this bunch of wusses.

I'm fine with replacing him with another heavyweight enforcer.

Looks like Peters is getting beat down by a young Ron Jeremy in that shot.

That was actually one of Peters' best fights in a long time... :ph34r:

Anyone else noticed that Gaustad seemed to be looking for a fight more at the end of the season?

I say next year we enforce by committee: Gaustad, Bernier, Mair and Pratt (if he's still here.)

Bonus points for not suggesting that Kaleta can fill Peters' role. I don't know about Bernier, though - I've only seen a couple fights from him so I can't really make a judgment.

We will still need a true heavyweight, IMO. I have no problem with overpaying a little for a true 4th-line enforcer who can play - someone like Brashear, Laraque, etc., but until the league completely phases out these goons, I don't want to see Gaustad or Mair going up against a true "tough guy."

We will still need a true heavyweight, IMO. I have no problem with overpaying a little for a true 4th-line enforcer who can play - someone like Brashear, Laraque, etc., but until the league completely phases out these goons, I don't want to see Gaustad or Mair going up against a true "tough guy."

Those were the exact two guys I was thinking of. They fight but acually have some value as skaters.

Those were the exact two guys I was thinking of. They fight but acually have some value as skaters.

I agree, I don't like one-dimensional players at all. The biggest problem is going to be the payroll. Peters is making somewhere in $500K range, which is fine for a guy who is going to play 40+ games and has one role, but Brashear is making $1.2M (signed through the end of next year) and Laraque is a UFA this offseason but made $1.3M last season. So if we want to go that route - an enforcer who plays meaningful minutes - it's going to cost us a little more...

Bonus points for not suggesting that Kaleta can fill Peters' role. I don't know about Bernier, though - I've only seen a couple fights from him so I can't really make a judgment.

Heck no, Kaleta is an agitator, not an enforcer. The only guy who is close to being big enough to compete with true enforcers is Gaustad. However, while he has the reach, he still gives up 20+ pounds to most enforcers. I know size isn't everything, but even Ray had problem with guys who were much larger than he was. If it weren't for his ability to take 80 punches to the face and still win a fight, he would have been killed by most enforcers other than Domi (another small guy.)

I hope enforcers go away, but until they do, I don't mind having one if: (a) he can fight and in a way that actually fires up the team (i.e., not the way Peters fights); and (b) he skates and puck handles better than a pick-up league guy that never played competitive hockey at any level (again, not Peters.)

i realize it's a necessary evil or charade, but, in the large majority of situations, having an enforcer who can go with the other team's enforcer is just dumb.

if, for example, a gritty middleweight lays out one of your skill guys, and there's hell to pay, it's not as though your heavyweight can properly fight the gritty middleweight -- no, he's supposed to "settle the score" with his corresponding heavyweight. that proxy sh!t is just dumb -- and it's why i have so much respect for guys who aren't "fighters" who'll drop them to address an issue (one good example is when hecht went with a boston d-man toward the end of 06-07).

the other main area of utility for these guys is where you send him over the boards for a dance when momentum's swung against you. i'm not big on that either -- it's a circus side show -- those tilts don't "grow organically" from the flow of the game (in fact, they arguably detract therefrom). i can't speculate as to how such bouts are viewed from the players' perspective -- but i can easily imagine that some guys on the bench are secretly rolling their eyes at the exercise.

i realize it's a necessary evil or charade, but, in the large majority of situations, having an enforcer who can go with the other team's enforcer is just dumb.

if, for example, a gritty middleweight lays out one of your skill guys, and there's hell to pay, it's not as though your heavyweight can properly fight the gritty middleweight -- no, he's supposed to "settle the score" with his corresponding heavyweight. that proxy sh!t is just dumb -- and it's why i have so much respect for guys who aren't "fighters" who'll drop them to address an issue (one good example is when hecht went with a boston d-man toward the end of 06-07).

the other main area of utility for these guys is where you send him over the boards for a dance when momentum's swung against you. i'm not big on that either -- it's a circus side show -- those tilts don't "grow organically" from the flow of the game (in fact, they arguably detract therefrom). i can't speculate as to how such bouts are viewed from the players' perspective -- but i can easily imagine that some guys on the bench are secretly rolling their eyes at the exercise.

I agree with everything you just said. But when they were in that slump in January, it sure would have been nice to have something...anything to cheer for. Even if it was only to watch Peters get the back of his head punched. At least it would have showed us that someone gave a crap. That was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen by a Sabres team for the longest amount of time. At least a fight would have been somewhat entertaining, their hockey sure wasn't. Also, I agree that fighting should be gone, but I'd rather see a fight, than that Euro-stick to the face stuff.

yes ... back when he was on andro.

Wow! You did a great job shopping Peters' number and name on Ray's jersey, and even the face shots are seamless. And how in the world did you get Peters dubbed in for Ray on the audio? That's some awesome editing.

RE enforcer.... how big is Weber?....

Not that big (6' 2", 199 lbs ... hey, that's what I'd be with about 10 more pounds of muscle :) ) and there are a few losses of his on YouTube. He will be a physical Dman, but not an Enforcer.

Even if he was big enough to be an "enforcer" I wouldn't want him to be. Good D-men are way too hard to find to have one out for a month with a broken hand or broken face. Leave that job to a winger.

Being a physical D-man that keeps the crease as clear as is possible in the "new" NHL and gives a solid shot to anyone that runs over Miller will be plenty.

Even if he was big enough to be an "enforcer" I wouldn't want him to be. Good D-men are way too hard to find to have one out for a month with a broken hand or broken face. Leave that job to a winger.

Yeah, I almost added that part, too. With 6 defensemen dressed and only 7 on the team, you can't afford to lose one. It's bad enough when it's one of 12 forwards dressed.

Archived