Sabres defense next year...

LabattBlue

08-09 blueline!  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Your feelings if the Sabres blueline next season is Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek, Weber, Sekera, Paetsch & Pratt

• I'm okay with it
    • I'm not happy
    • I'm really pissed off

I'm okay with it. Like I've said before, I never thought the problem was with the defensive personnel(except for maybe Lydman), but with the way the entire team plays defense. Forwards too deep - have to skate the puck out instead of pass it out.

I voted "pissed off" :D

As did I.

I don't think I can handle another season of Tony Looodman bringing his wonderful "defense" to this team. He's an embarassment. Basically I am OK with Spacek, Sekera, and Weber. I actually hope the rest will be traded/replaced (but I know this won't happen), hence my "pissed off" vote.

I'd be PO'd. I'm not going to scapegoat Lydman, b/c frankly I think Tallinder had just as bad a season as Toni did. I think both of them would play significantly better with another strong defenseman there to take the pressure off of them. I do think there needs to be one new quality defenseman. Teppo coming back might even do the trick.

I expect it, but "I'm not happy with it". Paetsch is okay, but I really want a PP QB who actually plays defenseman. I want a John Michael Liles. Also, Lydman and Tallinder looked bad this year. We need someone who can actually play against top forwards and Lydman and Tallinder did not get it done this year. We need a shutdown pair of defensive defenseman and I don't consider Lydman and Tallinder as really shutdown defensive defenseman. Also, I would not mind having Teppo back as a mentor and a veteran presence. I'm okay with Pratt and Paetsch, but I'd like some upgrades. I like Sekera and Weber as bottom pair, but we need a better top 4 than what we have right now in my opinion.

Pissed off. I am lobbying for Teppo to come back, and he was not on the list. I think he offers more than half the guys listed. I wouldn't mind Lydman and Tallinder staying as a pair. I think Sekera is a no-brainer. Weber has a lot of potential but needs a little more time to develop. Paetsch doesn't do it for me. If Kalinin comes back next year to a starting spot, I would be pissed off.

The need to make an acquisition of a top 4 d-man, preferably someone that can be a physical force. I need to see evidence out of LQ/DR that they are capable of making a good change.

I'll be a little pissed off. Even if it's Teppo and not Pratt, then I still will believe they missed an opportunity to improve a true weakness.

That said, I have a feeling that we could very well see what we saw in the last game:

Spacek-Sekera

Tallinder-Lydman

Teppo-Weber

Paetsch

I don't see Spacek-Sekera as much worse than Spacek-Campbell even in the short-run, while the long-run potential is pretty high. Tallinder-Lydman had a terrible year, but they could rebound. Plus, their contracts may be hard to trade off and I don't see them being bought out or waived. Teppo-Weber would be an improvement over our third-pair this year and Teppo could help mentor Weber, as well as provide some veteran leadership. The problem is that still doesn't give us a true physical, shut-down defenseman (Weber may be some day, but is not there yet) and with any injuries, they are back to being in serious trouble (if they aren't there to begin with.)

I'm happy. I think the two new guys are really good. Sekera is actually awesome, IMO and I just hope the rest of them work out their problems.

Tallinder-Lydman

Sekera-Weber

Spachek--Teppo

I'm ok with that, but I'm not sure about the depth. I've lost some faith in Paetsche and Pratt

Weber & Sekera showed good signs at the end, but there needs to be more toughness & aggressiveness and maybe even someone who can score. I don't see Paetsch rising to that level and Pratt isn't getting any younger.

I'd really prefer to see them go after a young defenseman in the mold of Brian Campbell - someone who can carry the puck well (and get past the first wave of defenders instead of shying away from them), willing to jump into the offensive rush, and can lay out some hits.

But whoever is there, the entire D corps needs to play better in front of Miller - clear the pucks away, knock some opponents on their arses, and show some attitude.

Tallinder-Lydman

Sekera-Weber

Spachek--Teppo

I said not happy. Tallinder needs a new partner who will get in someones face. Lydman has some trade value, take advantage of that. I only want Teppo back at the right price. If it is over $2Million, move on and get another defenseman.

Pissed off, and not cause what has happened, but because what will happen. NOTHING! Were just gonna ride out these two rooks instaed of grabing a quality d-man.

Who should they "grab"?

I think adding Weber and Sekera at the beginning of the season will completely change the makeup of the defense. Weber adds grit and hitting and Sekera looks to have a solid all around game. Their ice should greatly reduce the ice time of Tallinder and Lydman. That said I wouldn't mind seeing one or both shipped out if there are defensemen to replace them signed or traded for. Paetsch, Pratt and Teppo shoudl be your 7th, 8th and 9th defensmen. I would hate to see the Sabres count on any of the three to be in the top six. They're just not good enough.

Who should they "grab"?

I think adding Weber and Sekera at the beginning of the season will completely change the makeup of the defense. Weber adds grit and hitting and Sekera looks to have a solid all around game. Their ice should greatly reduce the ice time of Tallinder and Lydman. That said I wouldn't mind seeing one or both shipped out if there are defensemen to replace them signed or traded for. Paetsch, Pratt and Teppo shoudl be your 7th, 8th and 9th defensmen. I would hate to see the Sabres count on any of the three to be in the top six. They're just not good enough.

Teppo is

Who should they "grab"?

You're going to carry 9 blueliners on the roster? :blink: That being said, if Pratt, Paetsch & Teppo are 7, 8 and 9, who is #6?

Tallinder-Lydman

Weber-Sekera

Spacek-???

You're going to carry 9 blueliners on the roster? :blink: That being said, if Pratt, Paetsch & Teppo are 7, 8 and 9, who is #6?

Tallinder-Lydman

Weber-Sekera

Spacek-???

I wouldn't bring Teppo back. He is the Tim Connolly of the defense. If I can't rely on him for 80 games I don't need him on the roster. I would keep Paetsch as the #7 and look to go out and make a deal for a #6. The Sabres have those two #1's and like would to see them convert one into a defensemen with size that plays physical.

I wouldn't bring Teppo back. He is the Tim Connolly of the defense. If I can't rely on him for 80 games I don't need him on the roster. I would keep Paetsch as the #7 and look to go out and make a deal for a #6. The Sabres have those two #1's and like would to see them convert one into a defensemen with size that plays physical.

Oh brother. Connelly had heart surgery?

Oh brother. Connelly had heart surgery?

Did I say he did?

Teppo's health problems will always be an issue. For a small market team with limited revenues and spending ability I would hope the Sabres learned their lesson this year with Connolly and Teppo. They are nice players who happen to be completely unreliable. The Sabres would be foolish to think that suddenly they could both stay healthy for any extended period of time.

Archived