Miller's goaltending flaw

Rabbit151

Then it must be reaction time?

:unsure: :unsure:

overthinking. he's said it himself. thinks the shooters going one way, gets in position and out-thinks himself and moves a different way. Miller's best saves , and again he's said this himself, is when he lets the shooter make his move first.

Gotta get a backup they can count on. Miller has no time to work on his game.

I thought it was his eyes... :unsure:

I know everyone had fun laughing, but there has to be at least ONE person on this board that can vouch for the idea out of experience.

I am willing to bet he had extensive work done on him as a kid. When you have a lazy eye, or misallignment, your brain doesn't blend the two different visions from your 2 eyes into one 3D vision. You see it as double vision. If a kid has that condition long enough, he ignores the 2nd image and only focuses on the one view. It is only a 2 dimentional viewpoint though, and slightly off kilter to where the actual object you are looking at resides. If a kid goes too long with the condition, even when the eye is "trained" back into a more symmetric position, it may be impossible for the person to regain any depth perception, as they are used to ignoring one of the images their whole life.

Now why would Miller play back in the net instead of coming out more? Could it be that he needs every extra millisecond possible to get a read on a puck? How many times have you seen Miller make a WOW! save? A few times a year? Miller relies on textbook positioning as his biggest asset. Why is it that he needs to do so much pregame focus and visualization? Why does he almost need to be in a "trance" to play his best? I don't know...but it could be because he's had to work 10x as hard as a person with perfect vision to get to this point in their career. He HAS to overfocus and pinpoint his exact positioning in net, or else he is lost. A blind man can live on his own once he knows the lay of the land. Move his coffee table to the right 6 inches, and he's going to fall right over it. Shake Miller out of his prepared "focus", and he stumbles all over himself because he can't react in time.

fixed:

do you really think his eyes are a problem? should we only draft symetrical players?

His eyes COULD be a problem.

Do some research on stereovision, vertical disparity, depth perception.

Most of depth perception comes from how far your eyes are from each other on the horizontal axis, which isn't that big a deal on Miller. The problem is his vertical axis. There looks to be inconclusive evidence just how much this can effect depth perception, and determination of direction of motion. Most researchers conclude that it has some effect. I'm not going to post a bunch of articles again, only to get laughed at, so browse google at your pleasure.

The conclusive findings seem to be that if someone has vertical disparity (one eye higher on the face than the other), that as long as the object can be differentiated against a large field of vision for the proper amount of time, the person can adjust to the object. The biggest problem occurs when the person doesn't have lead time, or enough spatial reference to adjust in time. To me, that could explain why he lets in a bunch of goals from far out. The last time I tried to say this was possible, people argued that he didn't give up a disproportionate amount of goals from far out. Maybe after another 30 games, some people will back off of that statement.

It's not that Miller is some circus freak....it's that he MAY, and I feel Probably has a problem picking up the puck if it is too far from his normal field of vision or on screens or scrums. Anything within 25-30 ft which is where your normal vision line is....he is pretty good.

I would think the Sabres know about this, although between Connolly's neck/head injury, Kalinin's hernia/groin, Brier+Dumont playing with abdominal hernias, etc.....the medical staff doesn't really seem ahead of the curve if you ask me.

When you put this possible scenario together with the fact that Miller is almost obsessive in preparation for a game, and needs to be focused and in a comfort zone....and I think it's at least as good as 50/50 that I'm on to something. Do I know for a fact, No. Did I know for a fact that we weren't going to do a thing last offseason, No. But I made an educated guess with what was going on around the situation, and turned out to be correct. I was laughed at and called a few names there too as well.

I don't think it would be in Miller's best interest to say anything, because his goose would be cooked. Maybe what is looked at as a mental softness for letting in clusters of goals late in games is just Miller missing one that he could have stopped if he had a good read on it, then he laments on that and can't refocus. Basically the same as every goalie, but he has an excuse. Trust me....I'll nail any Sabre and try to call BS on any excuse, so just the fact that I have revisited this "laughable" theory should let you know I'm serious.

fixed:

do you really think his eyes are a problem? should we only draft symetrical players?

This gets funnier every time it comes up.

Wait, is funnier the word I am looking for?

I'm getting confused. Is it the eyebrow that won't relax, that is causing the problem or his eyes aren't on the same plane? Can this possibly be fixed by having him wear a neck brace so that his whole head is tilted, but his eyes are then level? :D :D

His eyes COULD be a problem.

Do some research on stereovision, vertical disparity, depth perception.

Most of depth perception comes from how far your eyes are from each other on the horizontal axis, which isn't that big a deal on Miller. The problem is his vertical axis. There looks to be inconclusive evidence just how much this can effect depth perception, and determination of direction of motion. Most researchers conclude that it has some effect. I'm not going to post a bunch of articles again, only to get laughed at, so browse google at your pleasure.

The conclusive findings seem to be that if someone has vertical disparity (one eye higher on the face than the other), that as long as the object can be differentiated against a large field of vision for the proper amount of time, the person can adjust to the object. The biggest problem occurs when the person doesn't have lead time, or enough spatial reference to adjust in time. To me, that could explain why he lets in a bunch of goals from far out. The last time I tried to say this was possible, people argued that he didn't give up a disproportionate amount of goals from far out. Maybe after another 30 games, some people will back off of that statement.

It's not that Miller is some circus freak....it's that he MAY, and I feel Probably has a problem picking up the puck if it is too far from his normal field of vision or on screens or scrums. Anything within 25-30 ft which is where your normal vision line is....he is pretty good.

I would think the Sabres know about this, although between Connolly's neck/head injury, Kalinin's hernia/groin, Brier+Dumont playing with abdominal hernias, etc.....the medical staff doesn't really seem ahead of the curve if you ask me.

When you put this possible scenario together with the fact that Miller is almost obsessive in preparation for a game, and needs to be focused and in a comfort zone....and I think it's at least as good as 50/50 that I'm on to something. Do I know for a fact, No. Did I know for a fact that we weren't going to do a thing last offseason, No. But I made an educated guess with what was going on around the situation, and turned out to be correct. I was laughed at and called a few names there too as well.

I don't think it would be in Miller's best interest to say anything, because his goose would be cooked. Maybe what is looked at as a mental softness for letting in clusters of goals late in games is just Miller missing one that he could have stopped if he had a good read on it, then he laments on that and can't refocus. Basically the same as every goalie, but he has an excuse. Trust me....I'll nail any Sabre and try to call BS on any excuse, so just the fact that I have revisited this "laughable" theory should let you know I'm serious.

I know I shouldn't take anything for granted with the Sabres medical staff after the Connolly fiasco, but do you really believe that the players don't undergo a thorough eye exam at the beginning of every year which would reveal the type of problem you mention above?

I know I shouldn't take anything for granted with the Sabres medical staff after the Connolly fiasco, but do you really believe that the players don't undergo a thorough eye exam at the beginning of every year which would reveal the type of problem you mention above?

The Sabres might know about it, if it is a problem. He may be able to pass a standard eye test because he has time to adjust to a non-moving object if it is the same machine I get my tests on. If it only affects him on 10-20% of the shots taken, maybe he is good enough in every other aspect of his game to still make him better than average with that factored in. Nolan Pratt is slow, Jason Pominville is small, Jim Abbot had one hand, Kenny Walker of the Broncos is deaf. All these guys have physical limitations of some sort, but their positives still allowed them to compete above average at the highest level of sport.

I find it it strange that nobody here would at least look at the facts, because if you did, you can see it may affect him. Bottom line, if it isn't a problem, who cares. If it is a problem, it will be burried by anyone that knows it is. I'm not going to go buy front row tickets and yell "Miller...your eyes are F'd up dude! You can't see where the shot is coming from. Let's see a picture of you as a 5 year old with fishbowl glasses on."

The only thing that can come of someone exposing it, if it is a problem, is that Miller loses a few dollars. I don't think it can get any worse, so you know how he plays and he has a history in the league. You know what you are paying for.

post-47-1207074438_thumbpng

Take a protractor to that and see what you have.

All I did was draw a 180 degree line with microsoft paint. It's as clear as day that it's not from his head tilting or else his eye would be on an angle.

Is everyone so lazy or in their own blissfully ignorant world that they don't see this can be a problem? This isn't some subjective thing like "Miller's in the closet so he lets in soft goals." That may be true as well, but I don't have a picture of that one....unless Soupy left some polaroids behind on his way to California.

The Sabres might know about it, if it is a problem. He may be able to pass a standard eye test because he has time to adjust to a non-moving object if it is the same machine I get my tests on. If it only affects him on 10-20% of the shots taken, maybe he is good enough in every other aspect of his game to still make him better than average with that factored in. Nolan Pratt is slow, Jason Pominville is small, Jim Abbot had one hand, Kenny Walker of the Broncos is deaf. All these guys have physical limitations of some sort, but their positives still allowed them to compete above average at the highest level of sport.

I find it it strange that nobody here would at least look at the facts, because if you did, you can see it may affect him. Bottom line, if it isn't a problem, who cares. If it is a problem, it will be burried by anyone that knows it is. I'm not going to go buy front row tickets and yell "Miller...your eyes are F'd up dude! You can't see where the shot is coming from. Let's see a picture of you as a 5 year old with fishbowl glasses on."

The only thing that can come of someone exposing it, if it is a problem, is that Miller loses a few dollars. I don't think it can get any worse, so you know how he plays and he has a history in the league. You know what you are paying for.

If it only affects him for 10-20% of the shots taken and he stops 90%+ of the shots taken. hmm, 10+90 equals...

Good LORD just think what would happen if he gets it fixed !!!! OMG Larry's a genius... this is what I'm talking about -- f$ckin' genius.

sarcasm off, lets move on jez

Archived