Miller's goaltending flaw

Rabbit151

Because when Tim Thomas makes a save he is thinking - "that's for you Jeremy!"

And when DiPietro does it he's thinking, "That's another one for Wanger and Snowy!"

Hockey players play for each other - sometimes even for the coach.

But I am sure in your vast experience you have found that a happy and content employee is much more productive.

But I am sure in your vast experience you have found that a happy and content employee is much more productive.

Most of the time, but not always. I have had happy and content employees that were not very productive.

The best employees are intrinsically motivated...they don't need constant praise and performance is often not related to compensation - thought they expect to get fairly compensated. Some may become disgruntled when they

think they are getting treated vastly differently from their co-workers.

I really do believe most elite athletes are able to compartmentalize the business stuff from the on ice stuff.

Players may stop playing for a coach, but I really don't believe they stop playing for an owner, because I just don't

think that in most cases they are playing for an owner in the first place in the same way they are playing for let's say a

Mike Keenan for example.

"That's another one for Wanger and Snowy!"

Is that the new show on Nick that features the interracial couple of Tyrone, the 6'8" power forward on the high school basketball team and Colleen, the transfer student from Ireland?

The only part of my "outrageous" outlook on this team from early last year that has yet to take place is that Ryan Miller still has to pack up and leave, ala Rickey Williams. He has to be getting close to as frustrated as he's ever been in his career. I am looking for hints out of his mouth that it isn't worth working so hard at the game if you get no reward for it. If the team just packs it in for the last few games, we may just get that sign.

Miller is getting his ass kicked, mostly because of the swiss cheese defense, and getting pummeled by players in the crease, and it's been taking its toll. If the mismanagement of the team continues, Miller won't get much help yet again. Having some reserves in your body helps immensely over the long haul, mentally as well as physically, like this season that's been thrust upon him. Just take a look at the ever popular 'Frozen Moment' that's been making the rounds lately. He's utterly spent. He looks like a junkie that's been on the nod for 3 months. Even a smaller guy like Wade Dubielewicz has got 30+ pounds on Miller, but he's 4" shorter, and hasn't had the grueling schedule.

By that logic shouldn't all those world class marathon runners put on 30 pounds? You know, to put some reserves in their body for those last few miles.

Most of the time, but not always. I have had happy and content employees that were not very productive.

The best employees are intrinsically motivated...they don't need constant praise and performance is often not related to compensation - thought they expect to get fairly compensated. Some may become disgruntled when they

think they are getting treated vastly differently from their co-workers.

I really do believe most elite athletes are able to compartmentalize the business stuff from the on ice stuff.

Players may stop playing for a coach, but I really don't believe they stop playing for an owner, because I just don't

think that in most cases they are playing for an owner in the first place in the same way they are playing for let's say a

Mike Keenan for example.

Let me make it clear, once the game starts, I do not think players consciously hold back or don't give it their all. I think the management stuff manifests itself in preparation and focus, and when you are talking about the difference between a win or two, that can be all the difference you need.

Let me make it clear, once the game starts, I do not think players consciously hold back or don't give it their all. I think the management stuff manifests itself in preparation and focus, and when you are talking about the difference between a win or two, that can be all the difference you need.

It is definately a tough call for us as fans to say a player wont play for a team or a owner or a coach...How do we know either way? Unless youre there its all a guess..I would say this with confidence though..If a organization has a history of bad negotiating I would think real hard about having anything to do with that team..Or just give themn one chance before I moved on..

By that logic shouldn't all those world class marathon runners put on 30 pounds? You know, to put some reserves in their body for those last few miles.

Interesting thought, marathon runners and camels. I like it. I think it'd be cool to see marathon runners having a hump on their back for the extra 30 pounds of muscle that can be used as reserve energy. That'd be sweet!

Marathon runners skirt that fine line between aerobic and anaerobic exercise. The key is to have as high a cruising speed as you can. In marathon running, there aren't 100 periods during the race where they drop to their knees and spring up, or have to move someone out of the way while wearing 50 lbs of equipment. We've had this debate before, but for a physical athletic competition, the bigger athlete will be able to have peak performances with shorter periods of rest in between competitions than his smaller counterpart. FACT!

Miller is toting all that padding and "sprints" with bursts of energy expense throughout the game. That is what makes having extra weight and frame an asset. Look at soccer players, they are rarely lanky guys. They are usually built like sparkplugs with heavy lower body mass.

Believe what you want to, but there is little to no advantage of having a physique akin to the crucified Christ.

Marathon runners skirt that fine line between aerobic and anaerobic exercise. The key is to have as high a cruising speed as you can. In marathon running, there aren't 100 periods during the race where they drop to their knees and spring up, or have to move someone out of the way while wearing 50 lbs of equipment. We've had this debate before, but for a physical athletic competition, the bigger athlete will be able to have peak performances with shorter periods of rest in between competitions than his smaller counterpart. FACT!

Miller is toting all that padding and "sprints" with bursts of energy expense throughout the game. That is what makes having extra weight and frame an asset. Look at soccer players, they are rarely lanky guys. They are usually built like sparkplugs with heavy lower body mass.

Believe what you want to, but there is little to no advantage of having a physique akin to the crucified Christ.

If Miller was required to battle it out in the corners, you might have a point. But a goalie needs flexibility, quickness and endurance...none of which requires him to bulk up. In fact, if he puts on weight, he will probably lose some endurance. FACT!

I doubt Miller is tanking anything because of the owners, but I could see him playing with less focus/heart due to management after watching a SC team getting dismantled and rebuilding again. I could see him not caring as much because he doesn't see management committed to doing all they can to win. Dealing Campbell and not getting a replacement for him when you are fighting for a playoff spot does not show a committment to win, and when you have absolutly no confidence in your #2 goalie that you can't rest your #1 on a regular basis, and do nothing to correct this, it doesn't show a commitment to winning. Just look at Washington, they were further from the playoffs then Buffalo, and decided to make some moves to make the push for the playoffs, and they brought in another goalie for the playoff run. Would it have destroyed the team to trade their #2 for Huet? Or to make a similar deal? For those saying to fire Corsi, isn't he the one who was for bringing in COnklin cause he liked what he saw in him?

I doubt Miller is tanking anything because of the owners, but I could see him playing with less focus/heart due to management after watching a SC team getting dismantled and rebuilding again. I could see him not caring as much because he doesn't see management committed to doing all they can to win. Dealing Campbell and not getting a replacement for him when you are fighting for a playoff spot does not show a committment to win, and when you have absolutly no confidence in your #2 goalie that you can't rest your #1 on a regular basis, and do nothing to correct this, it doesn't show a commitment to winning. Just look at Washington, they were further from the playoffs then Buffalo, and decided to make some moves to make the push for the playoffs, and they brought in another goalie for the playoff run. Would it have destroyed the team to trade their #2 for Huet? Or to make a similar deal? For those saying to fire Corsi, isn't he the one who was for bringing in COnklin cause he liked what he saw in him?

I don't think Montreal would have traded Huet within the division - it would have been nice, but I don't see it happening.

I don't think Corsi gets the credit for brining Conklin in, but I think he signed off on the deal. But if he is going to get credit for helping bring Conklin in, shouldn't he get some blame for not keeping him?

I don't think Montreal would have traded Huet within the division - it would have been nice, but I don't see it happening.

I don't think Corsi gets the credit for brining Conklin in, but I think he signed off on the deal. But if he is going to get credit for helping bring Conklin in, shouldn't he get some blame for not keeping him?

IIRC, I believe I remember hearing that Corsi was the one saying they should bring in Conklin at the deadline because he thought he could get him past his struggles. As for keeping him, he may have a say, but its management that makes the deals. Corsi may have suggested keeping him around, who knows what management thought.

As for Huet, I know that Montreal probably wouldn't have dealt with Buffalo, although you never know, especially if they didn't see Buffalo as a threat to them. But what I am saying is that they didn't try to make a move like that, and bring in someone to replace T-Bo and allow them to rest Miller for some games during the playoff run. Even if the Sabres make the playoffs, does anyone seriously think that they will go far after burning out Miller just trying to make it?

Thinness. He has to put on, say, 900 lbs so we can test out the "fat goalie" theory. I'd definitely sign him to a 6y 45 mil contract then.

they should try that

there is no weight restrictions in the NHL, get the fatest guy you can into some goalie equipement and just have him sit in the net taking up the entire space. You can't score if the entire net is covered up!

If Miller was required to battle it out in the corners, you might have a point. But a goalie needs flexibility, quickness and endurance...none of which requires him to bulk up. In fact, if he puts on weight, he will probably lose some endurance. FACT!

So you don't think popping up and down all game with that padding on isn't an effort? A goalie's job is similar to running wind sprints. High levels of activity for 5...10...20 seconds at a time, then a brief period of rest.

Miller just isn't built like an athlete. He got to where he was by working hard and extreme focus. Go ask a jockey if he is physically better at 116 lbs or 135 lbs. Those guys are built like fire hydrants, and the only reason they have almost zero fat and drain themselves of liquid is to make the weight for a race. Ask a boxer who weighs in at 160 lbs, then fights at 173 lbs only 3 days later. Ask Jason Taylor after 60 minutes of playing against Jason Peters, who is more tired at the end of a game.

It's not so much during the game itself...it is the REBOUND time for another peak performance. If there is nothing there in reserve to get you by, you start breaking down your critical systems.

Miller can't bulk up most likely. He is what he is.

they should try that

there is no weight restrictions in the NHL, get the fatest guy you can into some goalie equipement and just have him sit in the net taking up the entire space. You can't score if the entire net is covered up!

Gotta be a big boy to cover 24 sq. ft.

IIRC, I believe I remember hearing that Corsi was the one saying they should bring in Conklin at the deadline because he thought he could get him past his struggles. As for keeping him, he may have a say, but its management that makes the deals. Corsi may have suggested keeping him around, who knows what management thought.

As for Huet, I know that Montreal probably wouldn't have dealt with Buffalo, although you never know, especially if they didn't see Buffalo as a threat to them. But what I am saying is that they didn't try to make a move like that, and bring in someone to replace T-Bo and allow them to rest Miller for some games during the playoff run. Even if the Sabres make the playoffs, does anyone seriously think that they will go far after burning out Miller just trying to make it?

I just don't give Corsi that much credit for bringing Conklin in. The way I remember reading it was they went to Corsi and said what do you think of Conklin as a backup, and Corsi said he can work with him. I don't think it was Corsi campaigning to bring in Conks.

Huet? How do we know that they didn't try to upgrade the backup goalie position? At the trade deadline Miller already had 55+ games under his belt, so they had to know at that point what they had in Thibault. If they didn't explore other backup options then they are fools.

No argument about a burned-out Miller in the playoffs. A few of us have been beating that drum for a while.

Thinness. He has to put on, say, 900 lbs so we can test out the "fat goalie" theory. I'd definitely sign him to a 6y 45 mil contract then.

Charles Wang already thought about scouting Sumo Wrestlers to play goalie, but apparently had to be convinced that it was a bad idea. So he settled for giving a 15-year contract to a goalie with two bad hips.

they should try that

We have a fat guy in one of the leagues I ref. He's really tall, too. Ginormous! He's horrible. Can't move at all. Shoot low, bang at the rebound, goal.

Fat bastage!

Back to the size issue... IMO, it has to matter when dealing with goalies... You want the biggest and most mobile. Hockey is limited to the 24 square feet of open net, right? Serious flaw in the game, IMO.

You want some huge athelete to plug it up... Not really impossible given the technological improvements in skates and ice... Let alone evolution of the body... IMO, you just got to get to those children who would normally play football and and get them skating... Anyone can learn!

Ever notice why Miller has a problem the further out the shot is... He is a pea in the, okay... Maybe a string bean...

IMO... He takes maybe 10 of these shots that became goals this season on say a body my size (250, 6'3")... Even if he doesn't get it cleanly, maybe the shot just loses enough NOT to go right in... Of course there is the rebound... But, heck that is a crap shoot most of the time... The season would be different...

Back to the size issue... IMO, it has to matter when dealing with goalies... You want the biggest and most mobile. Hockey is limited to the 24 square feet of open net, right? Serious flaw in the game, IMO.

I think I would prefer Dominic Hasek at 5'11 164lbs.

Our how about Vanbeisbrook?, he was probably smaller.

Archived