Is Buffalo cursed or just bad luck?

Mike Oxhurtz

I have a few questions that I have always scratched my head on.

Out of all the teams that Scotty Bowman coached, why is the Sabres the only team that he didn't win a Stanley Cup with?

With having the best goalie in the NHL (Dominik Hasek), why didn't we win at least 1 Stanley Cup?

Why wasn't Brett Hull's OT goal reviewed in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals?

How was the Music City Miracle not considered a forward lateral?

Out of all the teams that Scotty Bowman coached, why is the Sabres the only team that he didn't win a Stanley Cup with?

With having the best goalie in the NHL (Dominik Hasek), why didn't we win at least 1 Stanley Cup?

1.Bowman didn't win a cup with St. Louis either. With Buffalo, they were transitioning from the golden years of the French Connection when Bowman arrived and they could never put it together. Martin had the fiasco with his knee where he ended up suing the Sabres(if I remember right), Robert got traded for Van Boxmeer and Perreault remained. They had teams that were fairly competitive in the regular season and got dusted in the playoffs for the most part under Bowman.

2.For the most part those "Hasek" teams were offensively challenged and were in the middle of the whole Muckler/Nolan mess. Another era where the Sabres just couldn't do anything in the playoffs until Lindy took over. They made nice runs in 97-98, 98-99 & 00-01, but came up short all 3 years.

3.The NHL blew it, they know it and came away with egg on their face. By the time they realized it was a mistake, cameramen, media, family members were all on the ice and dumbass Bettman didn't know what to do, so he did nothing.

4.Too close to call. The refs could have called it either way on the field and the team on the short end of the stick would not have been happy. There was not enough there to overturn the call with replay.

1. Don't think he won with the Blues, with MTL he had LaFleur, and Dryden. With PIT he had Lemieux....

2. almost did, not enough offense, the opposite of our current situation.

3. Clear that it wasn't, but nobody in the NHL gives a #%^$#! about small market Buffalo.

4. No clear evidence it was a forward lateral at the time, no clear evidence it was a forward lateral now.

I'd say there's a fair chance its cursed...probably due to President McKinley haunting us

I don't believe in curses. I do believe in bad play. I do believe that a certain superbowl team widely predicted to walk away with it got too big for their own britches. I do believe the refs wanted to go home and didn't care whether it was a goal or not. I do believe Buffalo fields mediocre teams and gets lucky when one exceeds expectations. I do believe Buffalo owners are hamstrung by a struggling economy and a shrinking population base. I do believe it will change some day.

Yeah...it's not a curse...God just hates us.

I grew up Catholic, as there are many Catholic Churches in Buffalo. Maybe we need to convert to a different religion, do a ton of praying, and God will have pity on us? Or maybe I need to drink some more?!

I used to have a Buffalo shirt that said:

BUFFALO

wide right

forward lateral

no goal

phantom goal

johnson as qb

SCREWED AGAIN

I wish that shirt was still in print.

My Sport Wishes:

1 Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Victory

1 Buffalo Sabres Stanley Cup Victory

agreed

Buffalo Bills and Sabres should invite a different religion in every week or so to remove the curse. go through all the major and minor religions and belief systems; there should be a public show of priests, imams, rabbis, buddahs, shamans, etc. We should have all bases covered, kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders.

The biggest curse of course is Bettman.

1. Don't think he won with the Blues, with MTL he had LaFleur, and Dryden. With PIT he had Lemieux....

2. almost did, not enough offense, the opposite of our current situation.

3. Clear that it wasn't, but nobody in the NHL gives a #%^$#! about small market Buffalo.

4. No clear evidence it was a forward lateral at the time, no clear evidence it was a forward lateral now.

I'd say there's a fair chance its cursed...probably due to President McKinley haunting us

Yup.

I grew up Catholic, as there are many Catholic Churches in Buffalo. Maybe we need to convert to a different religion, do a ton of praying, and God will have pity on us? Or maybe I need to drink some more?!

BUFFALO

wide right

forward lateral

no goal

phantom goal

johnson as qb

SCREWED AGAIN

My Sport Wishes:

Pretty sure that shirt, or something close to it, was on sale at Wild Wings a few years back.

I don't think we're cursed, but about the forward lateral thing. I think it was clear that Wychek threw the ball forward. There was one replay that they showed after the play from the top of the stadium and the ball goes forward. I've seen it that one time, and I've never seen that replay again.

Also, the camera's in the stadium that were used in the replays were not at field level and were not at the 25 yard line, where the lateral occured. Laws of projectile geometry were not taken into account.

I've let this go, though.

Wait until the next time the Bills make the playoffs. Since that was their last game, I'm sure we'll see replays galore.

BUFFALO

wide right

forward lateral

no goal

phantom goal

johnson as qb

SCREWED AGAIN

I had that same t-shirt - IIRC it was by Aussie T.

Because people make these T-shirts.

Isn't it enough that refs, other towns and the some of the 'establishment' put down OUR town. You have to pile on and promote it? Does it make you feel better to call yourself a losers. :doh: d'mn those gifs!

It's not as much fun laughing at those who are laughing at themselves. Cubs fans (and until recently, the Red Sox fans) have done quite well painting themselves as the lovable losers and the perennial underdogs.

Embrace the run of bad luck we've had, have some fun with it - and don't let it own you. The sun has to shine on this dog's butt someday... B-)

BUFFALO

wide right

forward lateral

no goal

phantom goal

johnson as qb

SCREWED AGAIN

My Sport Wishes:

My alltime favorite..The New England fiasco..I turned my hatred from the Dolphins to the Pats in this sequence..

Wr catches the ball out of bounds..The sideline judge is asked if his feet were in and on camera is heard just give it to them..Then the pass interference :angry: on the hail mary..Never before called and never since..

Cleveland has had 'The Drive", "Tony Fernandez through the wickets", Byner Fumble...The Cavs as a whole are inept...how many years has that city waited for a Championship now? And the Browns left...

Cubs? 100 years this year...White Sox were on that path till 2005 happened...

Blues have been around as long as the Sabres...how many Cups exactly??

Toronto Maple Leafs....do I even need to discuss this??

Vancouver Canucks: Similar to the sabres...tough break in 1994...2 cups, lost both....are they cursed???

Red Sox were cursed remember? Now they are Yankees1B with the $ they spend...what Ruth curse???

Minnesota North Stars / Wild and Vikings...are they cursed too???

ENOUGH!!!! :angry:

You can have all the witch doctors you want but there is only one way to cure the curse and it's the Patriots way:

Get an owner who spends, has a plan and is smart, and surrounds himself with the smartest Coach/GM team.

One more ingrediant to the mix. This owner has to be willing to Buy Important Calls from the refs, like "No Goal" and "Foot out of Bounds."

BUFFALO

wide right

forward lateral

no goal

phantom goal

johnson as qb

SCREWED AGAIN

I have to admit, I've never been a fan of blaming either luck of the refs for the outcome of a game.

Wide right - that one is one that really bugs me. It's not bad luck - it was a 48 yard FG! Seriously, the best offense in the history of the world can't get it past the 31? And really, the great Buffalo defense with Smith, Talley, Bennett, etc. couldn't get any stops to keep the Giants from having the ball for more than 40 minutes???

Forward Lateral - This one ties to Johnson as QB. Why wasn't Flutie in the game? If Flutie's in the game, Wycheck's great play makes it a 37-20 Tennessee loss. They get bombed if Flutie is in there.

No Goal - The game went to 14 minutes into 3 overtimes, the Sabres had 54 shots on goal against a good defense and against a goalie that hadn't been a big game performer and proven that until just 10 days earlier when he outdueled Roy (quick aside, what a classy guy that guy is!!!). I understand that the Sabres weren't the greatest offensive juggernaut ever but to only score 1 goal in 117 minutes is bad. If the Stars had lost, they would have been just as embarrassed to have only scored 1 goal in that much time.

Phantom Goal - this goal happened with 5 minutes left in the 2nd period. And it tied the game at 1-1. Clearly, the last two pissed me off, but if the Sabres can't score a single goal the remainder of the game against Brian Boucher, then they didn't deserve to win.

In the football examples, I understand the bad luck, but I have NO feelings of curses - PLAY BETTER and YOU WIN!

In the hockey examples, clearly, the Sabres had to overcome things that were beyond their control. But to put things in a place beyond your control is why I'm usually against blaming the refs, curses, etc.

The Cubs haven't sucked for 100 years because of some billy goat. They have sucked for 100 years because they have had garbage players. The Red Sox weren't horrible for 80 years because of Babe Ruth - it makes a great story but it's because they were not as willing to put the emphasis on winning that their division rival the Yankees were. And for many years, only one team in the division made the playoffs. The Cardinals aren't cursed by the fact that they stole the 1929 (I think?) football championship from Pottsville. They suck because of Bill Bidwell and his horrendous management skills.

I guess I'm just not into curses. You could potentially talk me into thinking about it from a hockey standpoint but to put the football examples in there just makes me mad because the Bills were the better team on both days and either didn't execute or made dumb decisions and at the end of the day got exactly what they deserved - and that hurts to say...

Archived