Connolly Out For Rest Of Season

rbochan

3 years, 113 games played out of 246. Thats 45% of the games in the past 3 years. Not including playoffs. Any chance you think at the end of the season he plans on cutting a check for 1.6 million for the games he has boned us on? Was he in the same boat last season that teppo was in this season with the unable to perform crap and we didnt have to pay him? I sure hope so. Otherwise I think if we plan on signing him I'll just go to Vegas and see if they can start a pool for how many games TC will play in a season. They would make some good money off of that if you ask me.

This was not a good $2.9 million/year investment. I wish we had spent that $2.9 million on J.P. Dumont. Oh well. Can't say I'm shocked by this, but the good news is that this means Kaleta will be with the Sabres for the rest of the season and hopefully will be generating some major energy. Unfortunately, this a big hit to the PP. Even though we've been scoring mad goals in the last three games, the PP just hasn't been clicking since Timmy went down again. Maybe we can get some offense on the PP once Teppo or Paetsch come back. Not great news, but we've got to move forward and the lineup we've got has scored 20 goals in the last 3 games, so something's working. Need to keep it going.

3 years, 113 games played out of 246. Thats 45% of the games in the past 3 years. Not including playoffs. Any chance you think at the end of the season he plans on cutting a check for 1.6 million for the games he has boned us on? Was he in the same boat last season that teppo was in this season with the unable to perform crap and we didnt have to pay him? I sure hope so. Otherwise I think if we plan on signing him I'll just go to Vegas and see if they can start a pool for how many games TC will play in a season. They would make some good money off of that if you ask me.

No, Timmy was on LTIR with a hockey related injury. His salary did not count against the cap. Actually, the technical details are his contract counted against the cap, but because he was on LTIR, we were allowed to go over the cap by the maximum of his salary cap hit for the games he did not play. Net-net he did not count against the cap until he came back, but he was getting paid his salary while sitting on LTIR last year.

For as much as Connolly is bashed for being "soft", you'd have to admit that the injury was probably beyond painful and probably would have put a lot of "tougher" guys down too. Connolly will be able to play again next year and will hopefully be ok. At least the hip thing isn't concussion related.

Now the Connolly is down for the year though, it's gut check time for the guys we have. Lindy: please, no more line juggling, coaching the PP funny, or counting on one guy day after day to return.

I really think we should resign Connolly when the time comes. As long as he plans on getting the same surgery that Wolverine had and gets his body graphed with adamantium. And the claws too. So he can actually defend himself for once.

:rolleyes: Some comic dork you turned out to be...<sigh> Wolverine was only able to under go the surgery to implant his adamantite skeleton and claws because of his mutant ability to heal damage, no matter how severe, very quickly. Hence, the claws cutting thier way out every time he extends them. If Timmy had that recuperative ability, he wouldn't need the metal bones...

For as much as Connolly is bashed for being "soft", you'd have to admit that the injury was probably beyond painful and probably would have put a lot of "tougher" guys down too. Connolly will be able to play again next year and will hopefully be ok. At least the hip thing isn't concussion related.

Now the Connolly is down for the year though, it's gut check time for the guys we have. Lindy: please, no more line juggling, coaching the PP funny, or counting on one guy day after day to return.

And hopefully not in a Sabre uniform. I hope the Connolly era is over. The guy has done nothing but steal money from a small market team that can't afford to waste the resources. If the Sabres plan on taking a step forward next season they need to cut the dead weight in Connolly and Max.

TC's injuries were hockey related, Teppo's wasn't so they can't deny him his pay

No one's saying that the injury wasn't painful or that he shouldn't be ending his season right now, but so far, 2 seasons into his 3 year deal, he has barely played half a season, making about 3 million a year, after only having 1 good year his entire career (remember back in the day one everyone made the same comments about dealing him away like they make about Peters, being happy about getting a bag of pucks for him?)

No one's saying that the injury wasn't painful or that he shouldn't be ending his season right now, but so far, 2 seasons into his 3 year deal, he has barely played half a season, making about 3 million a year, after only having 1 good year his entire career (remember back in the day one everyone made the same comments about dealing him away like they make about Peters, being happy about getting a bag of pucks for him?)

Don't blame Connolly. Direct your anger at Regier. He is the one he offered Connolly a 3 year 9 million dollar deal at a time when Connolly was recovering from a concussion. I'm not sure who the doctor was that examined Connolly prior to the contract being offered(assuming one was even involved <_< ), but I hope he is no longer part of the Sabres medical staff. :angry: :angry: :angry:

PS Let's face it, the Peca for Connolly & Pyatt deal was a bust for all parties involved. Peca due to injuries was never the same player he was in his early years with Buffalo, Connolly even when healthy is Max reincarnated with his endless stickhandling and Pyatt is a 3rd line grinder.

And hopefully not in a Sabre uniform. I hope the Connolly era is over. The guy has done nothing but steal money from a small market team that can't afford to waste the resources. If the Sabres plan on taking a step forward next season they need to cut the dead weight in Connolly and Max.

Just keep banging that small market banner, Tom.

Don't blame Connolly. Direct your anger at Regier. He is the one he offered Connolly a 3 year 9 million dollar deal at a time when Connolly was recovering from a concussion. I'm not sure who the doctor was that examined Connolly prior to the contract being offered(assuming one was even involved <_< ), but I hope he is no longer part of the Sabres medical staff. :angry: :angry: :angry:

PS Let's face it, the Peca for Connolly & Pyatt deal was a bust for all parties involved. Peca due to injuries was never the same player he was in his early years with Buffalo, Connolly even when healthy is Max reincarnated with his endless stickhandling and Pyatt is a 3rd line grinder.

I'm not completly blaming Timmy, most of my anger is directed at the "Best GM in Hockey :rolleyes: " Darcy Regier. It always has been, but i'm not permitted to express negatives opinions or else I may have to fear the wrath of the all powerful SDS

I said it ever since he was signed and wasn't going to be healthy to start year one of his contract that it was a bad signing

If the Sabres plan on taking a step forward next season they need to cut the dead weight in Connolly and Max.

Oh, if only it were that easy. Max and Timmy will probably be in the Sabres lineup for next season because who in their right minds is going to take them in a trade with their $3.3 and $2.9 million salaries next year. They have a better chance of being dealt at the trade deadline, when the team would only have to pay a fraction of that salary. If Darcy is able to trade away both of these guys this summer, I will nominate him for the best GM ever!

Max was signed at the top of his game when it looked like he could get even better. If he had, he would have been a bargain at that price. Timmy was a much bigger gamble. When he got nailed in the playoffs, he looked like a true #1 play-making center. However, nearly $3 million per year for three seasons was a lot to put into a guy with his injuries. I would have rather given him a shorter contract and taken a little more risk that he would get healthy and play amazingly, so that they would have to pay him more.

Their contracts, along with Lydman's and Tallinder's, are the biggest obstacles to building a really great team next season.

Their contracts, along with Lydman's and Tallinder's, are the biggest obstacles to building a really great team next season.

Lydman, Tallinder, and Spacek are all coming in at less than $10 mil. together.

With Sekera possibly Webber and Pratt and Paetch and a UFA the entire blueline comes in

at under 15 million in all likelihood. That leaves a lot of money on the table.

Waiving any of these guys isn't a huge problem either if you don't like their play.

Oh, if only it were that easy. Max and Timmy will probably be in the Sabres lineup for next season because who in their right minds is going to take them in a trade with their $3.3 and $2.9 million salaries next year. They have a better chance of being dealt at the trade deadline, when the team would only have to pay a fraction of that salary. If Darcy is able to trade away both of these guys this summer, I will nominate him for the best GM ever!

Max was signed at the top of his game when it looked like he could get even better. If he had, he would have been a bargain at that price. Timmy was a much bigger gamble. When he got nailed in the playoffs, he looked like a true #1 play-making center. However, nearly $3 million per year for three seasons was a lot to put into a guy with his injuries. I would have rather given him a shorter contract and taken a little more risk that he would get healthy and play amazingly, so that they would have to pay him more.

As much as I dislike Max, coming into this season he averaged more than a point per game the last two years. He is exactly the kind of player that some would say just needs a change of scenery and thus has trade value. I am sure his old linemate in Washington would love to have him on his team.

Will they get a lot for him? Probably not, but either in a package, or for some other over achiever who may need a change of scenery, a deal can be done. Of course, Darcy has always shown a fear of trading anybody who has the potential to make him look bad.

Unless of course he has no choice, i.e. Brian Campbell

Lydman, Tallinder, and Spacek are all coming in at less than $10 mil. together.

With Sekera possibly Webber and Pratt and Paetch and a UFA the entire blueline comes in

at under 15 million in all likelihood. That leaves a lot of money on the table.

Waiving any of these guys isn't a huge problem either if you don't like their play.

If you waive them, who pays their salaries? If the team does, do you really see them paying these guys and bringing in replacements? It's not so much a matter of cap space being tight, it's a matter of them taking up a spot on the team because their contracts are too expensive to trade away or pay, but not play. There are options, but realistically, they will probably have to play out their contracts.

As much as I dislike Max, coming into this season he averaged more than a point per game the last two years. He is exactly the kind of player that some would say just needs a change of scenery and thus has trade value. I am sure his old linemate in Washington would love to have him on his team.

Will they get a lot for him? Probably not, but either in a package, or for some other over achiever who may need a change of scenery, a deal can be done.

I agree there is a chance with Max that someone will be convinced that they can fix him. We can only hope. They don't need to get much for him, as opening up a spot and dropping $3.3 million in salary is compensation in itself. They are cenrtainly not getting $3.3 million worth of play from him.

If you waive them, who pays their salaries? If the team does, do you really see them paying these guys and bringing in replacements? It's not so much a matter of cap space being tight, it's a matter of them taking up a spot on the team because their contracts are too expensive to trade away or pay, but not play. There are options, but realistically, they will probably have to play out their contracts.

I agree there is a chance with Max that someone will be convinced that they can fix him. We can only hope. They don't need to get much for him, as opening up a spot and dropping $3.3 million in salary is compensation in itself. They are cenrtainly not getting $3.3 million worth of play from him.

I believe the implication in waiving them is that they would almost certainly be picked up at a relatively low salary for veteran defensemen, although I am not sure about Toni and Jaro. Hank would definitely be picked up.

Archived