Jim Kelley Article on SI.com

Hirly5

I was reading Kelley's article on Bobby Orr, which is good, and at the bottom he is talking about coaches in trouble of getting fired. He mentions Lindy Ruff and I think he is insinuating that Lindy would get fired if he didnt have 2 years left on his contract. Am I reading this right?

I was reading Kelley's article on Bobby Orr, which is good, and at the bottom he is talking about coaches in trouble of getting fired. He mentions Lindy Ruff and I think he is insinuating that Lindy would get fired if he didnt have 2 years left on his contract. Am I reading this right?

Very poorly phrased, but I think he is awkwardly saying that Lindy is safe

and Washinton already fired Hanlon

one or both on the hot seat is Jaques Martin and John Stevens.

If Stevens misses the playoffs you have to think he is canned.

If they did fire him, he'd be unemployed for about three minutes. I would see Lindy walking out on the Sabres first if he came to the conclusion the management wasn't willing to truly build a Stanley Cup contender.

I agree- I've read the article 3 times now and I can't decifer what he is saying.

Whatever his point is, I think Lindy has done an outstanding job this year even if the team does not get into the playoffs. The fact that they are still in contention after losing so many important players these past two years is one of his best accomplishments (imho). The only thing I pin on him is our dreadful power play- it's been pretty bad this season even when Soupy was here.

If I were him, I'm not sure I would want to back in two years once my contract was up. But I think he's pretty happy here with DR and that's all the better for the team and for us. I mean, really, if Lindy goes, is there any coach who would be better than him to run this team?

one or both on the hot seat is Jaques Martin and John Stevens.

If Stevens misses the playoffs you have to think he is canned.

Ditto that call, I read it several times and I think the ticker tape reporting style of the piece kind of did that. However two other interesting items that caught my attention,

1.) Philly overpaying for talent that hasn't produced

2.) Colo resurecting goalies career Jose Theodore by hiring a goalie consultant... I 've wondered but not mentioned whether our Goalie coach Corsi is the best one for Miller or not. As I recall he was not our first choice by design but we kind of ended up with him by default because whoever else we were pursuing at the time turned us down or was gone or maybe just another area we went on the cheap vs. what it could have cost us.

Strange situation setting up after next season. DR contract up and Lindy 1 year left. If DR goes elsewhere, does new GM extend Lindy, or get his own guy? Which if that happens, more than likely LR follows DR. I'm afraid we're in for a couple more rebuilding years. Maybe from the top down. :( :(

Strange situation setting up after next season. DR contract up and Lindy 1 year left. If DR goes elsewhere, does new GM extend Lindy, or get his own guy? Which if that happens, more than likely LR follows DR. I'm afraid we're in for a couple more rebuilding years. Maybe from the top down. :( :(

I would be shocked if Darcy or Lindy left the Sabres or were fired. With all of the other garbage that has flown around this team for years they have been the one constant stabalizing force.

I would be shocked if Darcy or Lindy left the Sabres or were fired. With all of the other garbage that has flown around this team for years they have been the one constant stabalizing force.

It was just strange that DR signed for 2 ond LR, 3.

According to this link, Ruff will have one year plaus a club option for a fourth after next season

year.http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2007/06/11/daily28.html

2.) Colo resurecting goalies career Jose Theodore by hiring a goalie consultant... I 've wondered but not mentioned whether our Goalie coach Corsi is the best one for Miller or not. As I recall he was not our first choice by design but we kind of ended up with him by default because whoever else we were pursuing at the time turned us down or was gone or maybe just another area we went on the cheap vs. what it could have cost us.

The story on Theodore really caught my eye and I was impressed at what Colorado did to turn Theodore around, and that Jose followed the plan and got himself in order (with help, of course.)

As for Corsi - a few of us have pondered that same question. If you look at the great young goalie prospects we've had since Dom left - particularly Ryan, Marty and Mika - only Ryan has blossomed into a bona fide no.1 goalie, and even he has some issues with his game that I think should be resolved by now. Maybe another goalie coach would get more out of these guys, I don't know.

The story on Theodore really caught my eye and I was impressed at what Colorado did to turn Theodore around, and that Jose followed the plan and got himself in order (with help, of course.)

As for Corsi - a few of us have pondered that same question. If you look at the great young goalie prospects we've had since Dom left - particularly Ryan, Marty and Mika - only Ryan has blossomed into a bona fide no.1 goalie, and even he has some issues with his game that I think should be resolved by now. Maybe another goalie coach would get more out of these guys, I don't know.

Am I correct in recalling when Lindy was doing the search for a full time goaltending coach that Corsi wasn't his first choice but had been a consultant with the team ?

Am I correct in recalling when Lindy was doing the search for a full time goaltending coach that Corsi wasn't his first choice but had been a consultant with the team ?

Honestly I don't remember. Butthat sounds plausible, since Corsi has been with the team in some capacity since 91-92 (I think - don't quote me on that.)

Guest Sloth

A number of players do not want to come to Buffalo due to management. If Lindy left due to management destroying an organization, what quality coach would want to come to Buffalo? Lindy is a must stay. Players like Lindy. Players like the fans. Players hate management. If Lindy goes, the Sabres organization will be in more trouble then it ever has been before. Lindy is one of the few reasons some players want to come to Buffalo. Management is ruining it all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Darcy walk.

If his hands are being tied by LQ/TG when negotiating, why would he want to stick around?

Looking back over his tenure, he hasn't had much in the way of ownership to work with, and it doesn't

seem like that is going to improve any time soon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Darcy walk.

If his hands are being tied by LQ/TG when negotiating, why would he want to stick around?

Looking back over his tenure, he hasn't had much in the way of ownership to work with, and it doesn't

seem like that is going to improve any time soon.

If Darcy or Lindy wanted to leave, they would have done it last offseason when both their contracts were up. The LQ/TG "impact" was already in full force last year and they both chose to re-up.

If Darcy or Lindy wanted to leave, they would have done it last offseason when both their contracts were up. The LQ/TG "impact" was already in full force last year and they both chose to re-up.

I'm not too sure. Didn't Briere and Drury leave after Lindy and Darcy signed their contracts? I just recall a news article saying that Lindy looked a bit like a deer in headlights when they both left. It's one thing to choose to live with a problem, but having it bear to fruition so much like it did last summer (and again with Soupy this season), that's pretty tough to take. Lindy's a better man than me if he didn't have thoughts about staying-- I'd be one foot out the door and looking for another opportunity as soon as my contract was up.

I'm not too sure. Didn't Briere and Drury leave after Lindy and Darcy signed their contracts? I just recall a news article saying that Lindy looked a bit like a deer in headlights when they both left. It's one thing to choose to live with a problem, but having it bear to fruition so much like it did last summer (and again with Soupy this season), that's pretty tough to take. Lindy's a better man than me if he didn't have thoughts about staying-- I'd be one foot out the door and looking for another opportunity as soon as my contract was up.

I'm not sure what the timeline was(Lindy and Darcy contracts before or after the bloodbath), but you have to believe that even if they signed their contracts prior, they knew which way the wind was blowing.

Archived