Roby isms

Hawk

Awesome thread. Love Robitaille. Here are my contributions:

"Step on their throats"

"I was raised by wolves"

"Bleeding like a stuffed pig"

Describing Dumont getting lined up by Exelby one night on the post game: "Now look at this man, the snot's just dripping out of his nose, he's drooling over this opportunity."

...I think I'm paraphrasing but you get the point.

My favorites:

"Petr Svoboda is skinny as a zipper"

"Never trust a guy who drinks milk out of a bag"

"Erik Rasmussen has much of chance of making the U.S. Olympic team as I have lighting a match while jumping up and down in the air"

In reference to the Olympic Theme song played repeatedly after the final game (vs Montreal @ the Forum) prior to the 1998 Nagano Olympics:

"Jeez If I hear that song one more time I'm going to throw acid in my face"

"Step on their throats"

It seems as if every talk show pudit has taken this saying to an entirely new level. Anytime any team or player is supposed to finish a game or task it's always referred to as "stepping on their throats/necks".

Personally, I find this saying disturbing (not when used by Roby) but rather nerdy talk show hosts depicting such a violent act. Would it be alright if they said:

"Pulling out their entrails"

"Slashing their throats"

"Stabbing them in the eye"

"Suffocate them with a pillow"

"Beat them to death"

I think it is just a stupid, overly violent, overly used and not literally understood saying. Maybe I'm taking this just a little to far but comparing sporting activites to killing people seems excessive.

A couple more,

"If that trade goes through, I'll put my hand in a wood chipper".

"They're like two bulldogs eating lunch off a brillo pad".

I believe this one was from Jeanerette,

"There have been more cheap shots in this game than a Mexican cantina during happy hour!"

"These old veterans walk in, it's like falling off a log, they're not sitting around with their toes cramped up like Bugs Bunny for the afternoon."

On Roby Radio this morning referring to veteran defensemen before a game as compared to the young guys that have recently been called up.

I miss Hockey Hotline. Roby and Blessing were often more entertaining than the game itself. I love that Doug Gilmour was irked about the Hotline when he left town.

Roby has toned it down a bit on the Shootout. Ray is gotten better and Sylvester is a wallflower.

I remember watching a Sabres game with Roby in it. Somebody checked him and he slid hard, spread-eagle, with his 2 legs straddling a goalpost. And this is when the posts were attached firmly to the ice. OUCH! I had to cringe.

But he got up. Roby's tough as nails.

I'm sure that happened with Roby as well bit I remember being at a Philly game in 76 or 77, there was a big brawl in the first couple minutes of the game, 6 guys got kicked out although the sixth guy didn't get sent off right away because the refs missed it. Don Luce missed the empty net on a breakaway because Doug Favell through his stick from the bench. Luce was awarded a goal. Anyways, in the game Tracey Pratt did the same thing that Roby did, slid into the post spead eagle. I got his autograph after the game and all my friends were begging me to ask him how his .... were. Oh well, fifteen year old boys.

What about the one on the post game show... "These guys needed to sweat blood. Heck they didnt even sweet at all, I bet their underwear isnt even wet"

I laughed so friggin hard on that one...

Maybe they can call Campbell and ask about treatments for excessive sweating??

Archived