Hate to break up the Lovefest for Regier but.....

jackb

I know the team is 1st in the East and when healthy should be the favorite to win the Cup but Regier is not flawless. He spent 8.7 million on Tim Connolly who not only may have no effect on the team this year, but is a huge ? in terms of longterm durability. Regier and Quinn (who promised that MSG would look more like HNIC this season.....how's that working out Larry?...can the cameramen find the puck yet?) foolishly spent almost 9 million when they could have lowballed at arbitration and spent the $$$ saved trying to sign 23&48. Oh yeah, have you heard the 48 to Montreal rumors?....great huh?

The way the Connolly situation was handled poorly enough but to allow 10...10! players go to arbitration in the untested post lockout waters is borderline negligent. So is not negotiating during the season. How much more will 23&48 be worth come June? A: millions.

At the deadline Darcy didn't try to get a heart and soul forechecking grinder that every team has that won the cup since, well,...the beginning of time, he trades for a 6'4 invisible man. Did you see our newest Sabre get faked out of his jock by a rookie last game?

Regier has done many very good things for the organization, that's a given. But he has made some bigtime blunders as well. Stop the nonstop praise and executive of the year talk. The truth is the truth.

I know the team is 1st in the East and when healthy should be the favorite to win the Cup but Regier is not flawless. He spent 8.7 million on Tim Connolly who not only may have no effect on the team this year, but is a huge ? in terms of longterm durability. Regier and Quinn (who promised that MSG would look more like HNIC this season.....how's that working out Larry?...can the cameramen find the puck yet?) foolishly spent almost 9 million when they could have lowballed at arbitration and spent the $$$ saved trying to sign 23&48. Oh yeah, have you heard the 48 to Montreal rumors?....great huh?

The way the Connolly situation was handled poorly enough but to allow 10...10! players go to arbitration in the untested post lockout waters is borderline negligent. So is not negotiating during the season. How much more will 23&48 be worth come June? A: millions.

At the deadline Darcy didn't try to get a heart and soul forechecking grinder that every team has that won the cup since, well,...the beginning of time, he trades for a 6'4 invisible man. Did you see our newest Sabre get faked out of his jock by a rookie last game?

Regier has done many very good things for the organization, that's a given. But he has made some bigtime blunders as well. Stop the nonstop praise and executive of the year talk. The truth is the truth.

Theres a couple of us here who have been holding our praise for Regier back until the Sabresa actually win something important, but usually we are ganged up on and shot down, sometimes refered to as non fans. Yet they will try running Quinn out of town because he didn't give us a uniform thats like the original ones.

The Connolly situation was handled horribly. You sign a guy to a 3 year 9 million dollar deal and have no idea if he will ever come back to play like he did for that one season (remember, this is the same Timmy everyone wanted out at the start of last season)

I also blame him for not locking up players early, and instead, post lockout handing out 1 year deals only. That cam back to bite him (and TG) in the ass because they could have had a very good team, well under the cap for a couple of years had Regier been willing to offer a couple of longer deals. Most of the players that have left have said, if Darcy would have came to them earlier with a deal with a couple years on it, they would have still been Sabres

Now because he won't talk contracts during the year, he may lose the heart and soul of this team, either Drury or Briere, or both. If either get to sniff Free Agency, they are not staying here.

Regier has done some things right, but he is not perfect, and definitly not the best GM in this league

I don't recall anyone ever saying Regier is/was flawless. Actually, until quite recently, most of the talk on this board was of the bent that Regier's a buffoon. Might you point out some posts that claim Regier's flawless?

How would you have kept the Sabres from having 3 (THREE!) players go to arbitration? (12 (TWELVE!) players filed for arbitration, only 3 actually went to arbitration.) Would you have had Regier sign many unproven players to long term contracts prior to the season when there was absolutely no idea what league revenues would be over the next season, but the consensus was that they would fall far short of the projected $1.8B that they ended up? Regier's "plan" to not lock players into long term deals was actually widely hailed by pundits as being the smart thing to do at the time. Had the league revenues been say $1.6B instead of the $2.1B they actually were (and which is what they had been pre-lockout, I don't think anyone saw revenues post lockout not dropping at all) then the salary cap this season would have been ~$37MM and MANY good to great players would have had their contracts bought out as there were 11 teams with payrolls higher than that figure last season. Regier's plan, while in hindsight not being the correct course of action, was less risky to the long term viability of the franchise than locking up many, at the time unproven, players to long term contracts and would have allowed the Sabres to stock up on talent this year as they would have had an empty shopping basket and an untapped creditcard (figuratively speaking). (Personally, I would have liked to have seen a couple of players get LT deals at the time and would have done that had I been GM, but last time I checked TG wasn't offering me the position. ;) )

Or would you have had Regier negotiating with EVERY single player except Drury, Hecht, and Vanek during the regular season? I do not like the idea of not negotiating with players during the season, but can see a reason for it when you have that many players with expiring contracts as I see no way for it NOT to become a distraction.

According to Drury and Darcy, there have been discussions between the 2 this season, so it doesn't appear that the Sabres currently have a "no negotiations during the season" policy. And, per the CBA, the Sabres were NOT allowed to negotiate with Briere until January.

Darcy is not, TTBOMK, a medical doctor. It appears the MD's he did consult with told him that Connolly would recover from his concussion and from what was being said on radio at the time there was a definite implication that Timmy would not miss much, if any, of this season. Given that and the way Connolly was playing in the playoffs, why would you have Regier "lowball" Connolly in the past off season?

Who exactly would you have had the Sabres go after at this year's trade deadline, what would you have given up for him, and how would you have managed the salary cap to afford the player you wanted?

It is very easy to say, in hindsight, that Darcy should have done this or that other thing (or anyone else should have done this or that) but given the circumstances at the time decisions were made it is hard to fault Darcy with the choices you seem to find fault with, at least to the extent that you do. Now, if you want to criticize him for not bringing in 1 additional D-man last year, I find that to be a more legitimate criticism as at least 1 D-man the Sabres had great interest in was moved in January for a minor leaguer.

It is very easy to say, in hindsight, that Darcy should have done this or that other thing (or anyone else should have done this or that) but given the circumstances at the time decisions were made it is hard to fault Darcy with the choices you seem to find fault with, at least to the extent that you do. Now, if you want to criticize him for not bringing in 1 additional D-man last year, I find that to be a more legitimate criticism as at least 1 D-man the Sabres had great interest in was moved in January for a minor leaguer.

This is a message board.. Flogging is our speciality. I for one think that DR has done a good job. I'm watching a first place team for the first time in years. That counts for me. Personnel decisions are always a crap shoot.

Timmy was a bad business decision. While some don't agree, I think Spacek was too. But hey, I'm a happy camper and will remember 2006-2007 as one of the best Sabre seasons ever.

So now its a well known fact that Darcy didn't try to pick up a grinding power forward at the deadline? Did he step up and admit this? Did every other team in the league say the Sabres never asked them about that kind of player?

One thing I always bring up when all this "failure to sign guys ahead of time" argument comes up is that it also falls on the players. Most of these guys, the Pominvilles and the Tallinders of the team did end up signing longterm deals which should end up being steals for the team. As for some others, maybe they wanted to test the market. If they're set on that and not willing to talk seriously about a deal before their contract is up, are we still blaming Darcy for that? Briere is the perfect example of this. From his actions, it looks like he's one of those guys, and I have absolutely no problem with it.

I really wonder what people expect of him. He's put together one of, if not the top team in the league. They're ridiculously deep at forward. They have what many believe to be a franchise goalie and also have 7 defensemen that would start anywhere. What do you want, the 80s Oilers? Every team is going to have their weaknesses, but this one has less than most others. Losing one or both of Drury and Briere obviously will hurt, but that's not something to whine about non-stop unless it actually happens.

This is a message board.. Flogging is our speciality. I for one think that DR has done a good job. I'm watching a first place team for the first time in years. That counts for me. Personnel decisions are always a crap shoot.

Timmy was a bad business decision. While some don't agree, I think Spacek was too. But hey, I'm a happy camper and will remember 2006-2007 as one of the best Sabre seasons ever.

Actually, compared to other boards, this board is woefully inadequate at it. :o

Timmy was a gamble. If he came back this year and played like he did last, $3M per year over the next 3 is a bargain. If he comes back next year and plays like he did last year, $4.5M per year over 2 is still not terrible.

I guess I don't understand the hate for Spacek, either. Is he McKee? No, he isn't a defensive defenseman, but he makes up for that in the other end.

Darcy sux. :death:

Does anyone else see the irony in complaining that DR has not locked in key players, but when he tries to lock in a Connolly that is also wrong?

20/20 hindsight is a beautiful thing.

No one is saying he has been perfect but what GM is? Sorry, this is to much nit-picking. This team went from bankruptcy to one the best teams in the league in a matter of a few years and you want to point out every mistake you think he has made. He has had to make a lot of tough calls over the years and I think it has worked out ok. Is anyone in Buffalo ever happy about anything?

Hey Dave, interesting post but please. Regier should have signed 23&48 to long term deals towards the end of last regular season when it was obvious that these two were post lockout hockey gold who developed into the heart and soul of the team. Think 48 would have gone for a 3.5-3.8 deal last March? Foresight and being ahead of the curve are a must for a top level GM. By the way, you think a new long term deal for Vanek as soon as it's possible would be a good idea? Thought so. Will Darcy learn from past mistakes? We'll see.

I agree with you assessment of Regier's failure at the deadline last year. Brendan Witt would have come in handy huh?

And finally.....I don't know if Regier tried to get a forechecking playoff grinder....the fact remains he SHOULD have. Didn't last years playoffs (and every years playoffs) show you that? Darcy said that although Zubrus is the same size as Guastad, he is, and I quote: "a different kind of size" Lol.

Think you'll be able to find Zubrus when April kicks into gear? When you start complaining that Zubrus has become invisible in the playoffs, ask yourself one thing: Who brought him here?

you can't blame the doctors about Timmy not playing... they said he'd get over his concussion and be able to play this year... they were right! the only reason he isn't back now or in two weeks is because he has a broken bone in his leg... you can't blame doctors or Darcy for a totally unpredictable injury like that.

Who gets your vote for executive of the year?

Hey Dave, interesting post but please. Regier should have signed 23&48 to long term deals towards the end of last regular season when it was obvious that these two were post lockout hockey gold who developed into the heart and soul of the team. Think 48 would have gone for a 3.5-3.8 deal last March? Foresight and being ahead of the curve are a must for a top level GM. By the way, you think a new long term deal for Vanek as soon as it's possible would be a good idea? Thought so. Will Darcy learn from past mistakes? We'll see.

I agree with you assessment of Regier's failure at the deadline last year. Brendan Witt would have come in handy huh?

And finally.....I don't know if Regier tried to get a forechecking playoff grinder....the fact remains he SHOULD have. Didn't last years playoffs (and every years playoffs) show you that? Darcy said that although Zubrus is the same size as Guastad, he is, and I quote: "a different kind of size" Lol.

Think you'll be able to find Zubrus when April kicks into gear? When you start complaining that Zubrus has become invisible in the playoffs, ask yourself one thing: Who brought him here?

Regier couldn't have signed 23 to a long term deal toward the end of the last regular season. It isn't allowed under the CBA.

As for Briere, we don't know what the Sabres were offering, but the rumors I heard was that the deal was in the $4MM range; so no, I don't believe Briere would have signed for $3.5MM/year last March.

Obviously, I want to see Vanek signed and do think there is a very real possibility another team will make him an offer if he isn't signed prior to becoming a FA. Do you think it takes 2 parties to negotiate? Thought so. <_<

Also, considering that Darcy signed ~12 regulars to multiyear deals this offseason, he added defensive depth at this trade deadline, and he has had discussions with Drury's agent during the season (and I assume the other soon to be RFA's and UFA's as well) it would appear that Darcy does "learn from his mistakes".

Brendan Witt isn't the player I was referring to, but as stated before, I think bashing Darcy for not picking up a D-man would be a more valid criticism than the moves (or lack thereof) that you are criticizing him for.

As far as Zubrus is concerned, obviously, you didn't like that move. I ask again, who did you want to see the Sabres bring in, what would you have given up for him, and how would you have fit him in under the cap? Heck, Darcy "should" have brought in Chris Pronger and Alex Ovechkin, it doesn't mean there was any possible way either would have or could have happened.

So Dave_b, are you any relation to jackb? Maybe a wierd cousin?

I certainly hope not. :o

:lol:

Just be thankful no one looks over your shoulder at work and then nit picks everything you do at the job on an internet message board.

"Bob put too many sugar packets in Jim's coffee! He's not getting my vote for Gopher of the Year! To think that everyone looks to him to make sure their coffee tastes right. Disappointing."

Welcome to the board, Jack. As you can see, the nail that sticks up quickly gets pounded down. Keep your helmet on tight!

I'm not going to agree with any serious criticism of Darcy right now, but I will agree Zubrus looks a little lost so far. Hopefully he follows the Stu Barnes footprint and saves his goals for the playoffs.

Welcome to the board, Jack. As you can see, the nail that sticks up quickly gets pounded down. Keep your helmet on tight!

I'm not going to agree with any serious criticism of Darcy right now, but I will agree Zubrus looks a little lost so far. Hopefully he follows the Stu Barnes footprint and saves his goals for the playoffs.

Only if the nail sticks up for no other reason than to stand out...

So far I would give Zubrus a B. I am not quite sure what we've got.

New system - new line in every game and he has played center and right wing.

I would give him some time to settle in. Against Toronto I thought he looked a little

lost - but no more lost than most of the Leafs.

Him and Drury seemed to be the only guys getting shots on net against Colorado.

I am hopeful.

Archived