Really, Both Drury & Briere Would Cost Too Much

bob_sauve28

And as this season has proven, he'll make money when he puts a team on the ice that can compete at the highest level. He can raise ticket prices, and games will still sell out. He can change the jersey again, and merchandise sales will go through the roof.

If Golisano pulls a Rigas, though, and pulls back funding on a team that can compete for the Cup. he'll lose a hell of a lot more money than if he spends to the cap.

that is one thing you can say about buffalo, if you put a wining product on the ice or the field the fans will come and you will make money. That is something that you cannot necesarily say about other places. We may not have the biggest market but we have a very high rate of fans per capita. That is the reason that the ralph is able to cell out completely most years despite being one of the largest stadiums in the league. In fact if the sell out mark was lowered to the league average stadium capacity, the Bills would have sold out every game this year. It is the classic if you build it they will come, you build a contender and everyone in Buffalo will be there to watch.

Good Thread in concern with generations, etc. Briere is in his prime now, this is his career year. I dont think alot of teams are willing to spend over 5mil unless you are amazing (top 5%). I dont know if I would put Briere there. Any chance you would take Peca back..cheap? Did you hear that Moulds was released today?

Not sure Moulds has what it takes to be a top notch winger. He has the size to be a grinder, but lacks the explosiveness needed in the Sabres' system. That, and he's a locker room cancer. Here's hoping Darcy looks elsewhere.

Here's my 2 cents:

1. The Sabres will go to a 5-year deal to keep Drury and Briere, but they won't go above $6 million per year for anyone. It would be completely antithetical to their team approach. While they could cut guys like Teppo, Kotalik, Connolly, etc., in order to pay Drury and Briere $7-$8 million each, they aren't going to do so. They don't believe in the Tampa approach. They don't put all of their eggs in one basket. They believe in building from the goalie out and having the forwards come at you in waves of speedy, aggressive, talented players.

2. Someone is going to give Briere $7 million per year for 5 years.

3. Someone MAY give Drury $7 million per year for 5 years.

4. Blaming Darcy for not signing them now "at a reasonable price" ignores the almost certain reality that neither Drury nor Briere is interested in signing now for a reasonable price. Why in the world would they be? They're 3 months away from the payday of a lifetime. No one in the world is going to give that up unless it's for an incredible offer -- not for a "reasonable price". So I think it's time to stop assuming that Darcy is too lazy to get off the couch and recognize that Drury and Briere WANT TO GET PAID. They either want to see what the UFA market brings them or, to give that up, they want huge offers from the Sabres.

5. All of the above leads me to conclude that July is going to be an unhappy month. There will be much anguish on this board and for Sabres fans everywhere. However, I will predict that no matter what happens in July, we will still be a top-3 team in the NHL next year.

6. All the more reason to enjoy this amazing season while we can.

Just my opinion.

Waiting to sign Briere and Drury will only lead them to test FA.

The earlier you sign them the cheaper you will get them. What if both or either of them explodes this playoffs and litterally carries this team on their backs to a cup win. Their values now goes through the roof. Right now you have a veteran team leader, and an all-star fan favorite, their value is lower then if you can add playoff hero or Stanley Cup winner after the playoffs to their name.

Plus if you wait til the offseason, they will be close enough to FA that t will become a "I might asd well see what I'm worth" type of situation.

Look at what happened with McKee. He even said he would have signed for around 1/4 - 1/2 of what he signed for in St. Louis, if Regier would have negotiated during the season or before. But after the season was over, he knew he was going to be in demand so he tested the market and become rich.

Its a dangerous game Regier plays by not signing long term deals and waiting til a season is over to negotiate. Letting either go is going to cost the Sabres, not only on the ice, but also in the wallet of TG because both of these guys draw in fans, and merchandise sales

4. Blaming Darcy for not signing them now "at a reasonable price" ignores the almost certain reality that neither Drury nor Briere is interested in signing now for a reasonable price. Why in the world would they be? They're 3 months away from the payday of a lifetime. No one in the world is going to give that up unless it's for an incredible offer -- not for a "reasonable price". So I think it's time to stop assuming that Darcy is too lazy to get off the couch and recognize that Drury and Briere WANT TO GET PAID. They either want to see what the UFA market brings them or, to give that up, they want huge offers from the Sabres.

So, why would they want to sign a contract before FA begins then at the end of the season? They would more then likely sign one now because they like where they are playing, and if they are offered what they are looking for now (which I think with both of them its more length then $$'s) they will sign now so they don't have to go throught the uncertainty of entering FA and can put all their focus on the playoffs instead of worrying over a contract. Players also feel like the team wants them more if they negotiate during the season (or in the offseason before they become FA's instead of waiting til the last minute.

I don't see them wanting huge contracts from the Sabres right now, these are hardworking veterans who seem to want to play because they love the game over the money. Both are wealthy due to their time in the NHL, and sure they could get more on the open market, but if they get an offer around what they are loking for now, they seem to be more then willing to sign to create more stability for their families.

5. All of the above leads me to conclude that July is going to be an unhappy month. There will be much anguish on this board and for Sabres fans everywhere. However, I will predict that no matter what happens in July, we will still be a top-3 team in the NHL next year.

Lose either Drury or Briere (or both if they get to test the market) and theres no way this team is top 3, a playoff team definitly, but not top 3, more of a middle of the pack.

Furthermore, why is Connelly so expendable? He was really living up to his potential last season. He's potentially a superstar signed for 3 years at about 3 million a year. If he comes back and is able to show flashes of his 06 ability, he is at the top of my untouchable list.

The reason I feel Connolly is expendable is because he makes 3 million a year and he has not played a minute, and the Sabres are in first place in the Eastern Conference. I think Connolly played extremely well last year and could become a great player. However, he has missed a large portion of 2 of the last 3 seasons. He was injured for most of the 2003-2004 season, and he's been injured the entire year this year. I have no doubt that Connolly can be a great player in this league, but we have to ask this question, is a guy who has missed most of 2 of the last 3 seasons worth 3 million a year when you've got younger guys on the team vying for his role and minutes and captains of this team that are UFA's at the end of this year? You have to determine who is more valuable, and given the fact that Connolly has not played at all this year and the Sabres are in 1st, he kind of becomes expendable when there are other needs to fill on the team. That's my opinion at least.

If you could sign one to a High/Low deal and one to a Low/high deal, it might work.

IE - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Drury - 3.5Mil - 4 Mil - 5 Mil - 6 Mil - 7mil

Briere - 7mil - 6mil - 5 mil - 4 mil - 3.5 mil

25.5 mil over 5 years, a reasonable offer, and would only spend about 10.2 mil a season on those two, allowing still 30 mil (or more if cap increases) to spend on everybody else -- most of whom are young and will accept a smaller paycheck for now.

but im not trying to be too optomistic.

So, why would they want to sign a contract before FA begins then at the end of the season? They would more then likely sign one now because they like where they are playing, and if they are offered what they are looking for now (which I think with both of them its more length then $$'s) they will sign now so they don't have to go throught the uncertainty of entering FA and can put all their focus on the playoffs instead of worrying over a contract. Players also feel like the team wants them more if they negotiate during the season (or in the offseason before they become FA's instead of waiting til the last minute.

I don't see them wanting huge contracts from the Sabres right now, these are hardworking veterans who seem to want to play because they love the game over the money. Both are wealthy due to their time in the NHL, and sure they could get more on the open market, but if they get an offer around what they are loking for now, they seem to be more then willing to sign to create more stability for their families.

Respectfully, I think this is just wishful thinking. They may take a little less to stay here, but if the total offer is $28 million from the Sabres vs. $38 million from someone else -- it's going to be bye-bye and thanks for the memories. That's just the truth.

And I think we will have to agree to disagree on the viability of signing them up now. I just don't believe either of them is interested in foregoing the UFA payday unless it's for a huge offer, ie one too rich for the Sabres anyway.

As to whether we will be top 3 if we lose one or both -- perhaps I'm the one guilty of wishful thinking on that point, but I really believe this team is about much more than any 1 or 2 guys (although if Miller were the one leaving, then I could see a real slide). Other guys will step up, and we will bring in a FA or 2 with grit and leadership. We would still have great goaltending, great defense, Max, Vanek, Roy, Connolly, Gaustad, Pominville, Stafford, Hecht, Kotalik, etc.

Lose either Drury or Briere (or both if they get to test the market) and theres no way this team is top 3, a playoff team definitly, but not top 3, more of a middle of the pack.

I guess I do not understand the uncertainty of entering FA. I am pretty certain they will get at least 2 incredible offers.

The reason I feel Connolly is expendable is because he makes 3 million a year and he has not played a minute, and the Sabres are in first place in the Eastern Conference. I think Connolly played extremely well last year and could become a great player. However, he has missed a large portion of 2 of the last 3 seasons. He was injured for most of the 2003-2004 season, and he's been injured the entire year this year. I have no doubt that Connolly can be a great player in this league, but we have to ask this question, is a guy who has missed most of 2 of the last 3 seasons worth 3 million a year when you've got younger guys on the team vying for his role and minutes and captains of this team that are UFA's at the end of this year? You have to determine who is more valuable, and given the fact that Connolly has not played at all this year and the Sabres are in 1st, he kind of becomes expendable when there are other needs to fill on the team. That's my opinion at least.

I'm not sure I understand what the other needs are. As much as I love the games of Drury & Briere, I think if one of them had been out for as long as Connolly has this year and Connolly had been able to play and played up to the standard he set last year, we would most likely still be in 1st place. Tim Connolly has the potential to be a better all around player than Briere and might match Drury on defense while exceeding Drury's ability on offense. He's signed for 3 million. With the debate about being able to keep both or even one of our co-captains it would be foolish to get rid of a player of Connolly's ability. Putting myself in the GM's spot, I would take a healthy Connolly at 3 million over Drury or Briere at 6-7 million. Hard decisions are going to have to be made, and I don't see the Sabres being able to afford both of them next year without sacrificing elsewhere. When a team gets to be "scary good" its players become in high demand and can command the big salaries. It'll be a shame to say goodbye to either of those guys but the Sabres are not going to invest 12-14 million a year in two guys. Their philosophy won't allow it.

Anyway, Go Sabres!

I'm excited about the young guys too, but I don't see any with Connolly's ability.

First timer poster here...

Now Ive done the math and if they give them both realistic offers they can keep both of them in the fold. Now I know there will be a Dale Tallon out there who will make a ridiculous offer, but I supposed the guys care more about winning then money.

If they both hit the open market, I expect briere to be the one to stay, and he would be the one I keep. He has developed the leadership of Drury and is a catalyst to the offense. Drury is good, but not 6 mil good IMO. If they could get him at between 4.5 and 5.5, im all for it. But if he goes higher, Briere is the guy to keep.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be pissed if we lose both Briere AND Drury, as Darcy could have tried harder to lock them up before the season started. That being said, I'll take the glass half full approach to losing them both by saying that this would give Darcy the combined 8 mil that was spent on the two of them this year to bring in a couple of 3-4 mill dollar F/A's or one 5-6 mil dollar F/A's. There will be plenty to choose from.

GO SABRES!

Respectfully, I think this is just wishful thinking. They may take a little less to stay here, but if the total offer is $28 million from the Sabres vs. $38 million from someone else -- it's going to be bye-bye and thanks for the memories. That's just the truth.

And I think we will have to agree to disagree on the viability of signing them up now. I just don't believe either of them is interested in foregoing the UFA payday unless it's for a huge offer, ie one too rich for the Sabres anyway.

As to whether we will be top 3 if we lose one or both -- perhaps I'm the one guilty of wishful thinking on that point, but I really believe this team is about much more than any 1 or 2 guys (although if Miller were the one leaving, then I could see a real slide). Other guys will step up, and we will bring in a FA or 2 with grit and leadership. We would still have great goaltending, great defense, Max, Vanek, Roy, Connolly, Gaustad, Pominville, Stafford, Hecht, Kotalik, etc.

Great post, IMO. I totally agree with everything you say but want to add on to the last paragraph. You mentioned our great defense, and that is so true. These guys have been awesome since all those injuries hit our forwards. The defense has been a force. They have come alive and stepped up to hold the team together. I think they are playing their best hockey as a unit all year, the first ten games aside. If they are this good in the playoffs and the forwards stay healthy, that will be good, scary good!

So don't over pay two players and not have the ability to hold that unit together. This is a team game as you said.

I think something we all tend to overlook in this situation is that the draft is on January 23, 2007. That's 8 days before the UFA period begins. Another thing we overlook is that we have a GM who loves to make trades at the draft. Remember the 2003 draft? Steve Begin for Steve Reinprecht, and turn that around with Steve Reinprecht and Rhett Warrener for Chris Drury. One of the biggest draft day coups in a long time. Also, look at what the Sabres have draft wise this year. They don't have a 1st, 2 second rounders, a third, no fourth, no fifth rounder. Don't be too surprised to see Darcy trade some salary to stockpile on draft picks either for this year and or next year's draft (which apparently has a deeper talent pool) and create enough cap space to sign Drury and Briere for next year. Considering how talented this team is in terms of youngsters, I could definitely see guys like Kalinin, Connolly, Hecht, and Kotalik being traded away on draft day to get picks and create salary space for Drury and Briere. In order for this to occur, the best case scenario for the Sabres is to have Connolly return, go deep into the playoffs/win the Cup, and have some of those guys put up tremendous production in the playoffs. If that happens, their stocks will rise, and come draft day, we can trade their salaries for draft picks and sign the guys we need the most. I would not put it past Regier to come up with some draft day coups this year either. We'll see what happens, though.

Close. Keith Ballard for Reinprecht. Reinprecht and Warrener for Drury and Begin. Sabres exposed Begin to the waiver draft and lost him to Moe-ray-all.

It is possible that the Sabres may trade one or more of their mid-level guys, but I'd be surprised if Hecht is one of them. And there is little to no possibility of Connolly being one of the guys going bye-bye. If he doesn't play a minute this year, but comes back at close to the player he was in the playoffs last year, he'd basically be on a 2 year $4.5MM/year contract. That isn't too outrageous if you expect him to be a 90 ppy man and a strong penalty killer (which given past production, and his age and point in the maturation process is not unreasonable). Unless they get an incredible offer, they are not trading Kalinen away. The Sabres plan is building from goalie out toward wings. They will not give up on Kalinen yet. Ales could be trade bait, but he is the only one of your 4 that I might not necessarily expect to see wearing a really ugly logo next year and I still give it a better than 50% chance that he's back.

The Sabres could squeeze both Chris and Danny into the cap next year, but unfortunately I only expect to see one back (but I absolutely want to see both of them in b&g next year). This next comment isn't directed to your post, but to others in this thread. I don't see any way that the Sabres (or anyone else) can sign Drury for less than $5MM next year, and most likely he will get $6MM+. The guy wins almost 60% of his faceoffs, is on pace for 40+ goals, and has won championships at every level in darn near every sport he's ever played. I'd love to see both guys back, but each will very likely command $6MM+ for 4-5 years and I just don't see the Sabres shelling out that kind of money for both. (And not due to stealing sugar packet cheapness either PA. But just simply because they have so many talented players coming through the system and ~1/3 will be due raises in any particular year. It will be difficult to give 2 guys not named Miller a combined 1/4+ of the salary cap.) And if they only get 1, it doesn't mean the team is going to stink next year. It just means each of the players have to step it up that extra notch that they likely will simply due to where they are in their careers. The Sabres have a ton of guys that are approaching their prime. Players simply improve as they get there. Will losing Danny stink. Absolutely. But will that crush their chances of repeating, not necessarily.

Also, Zubrus can probably be signed for $3MM/year (or less) for 4 years. He's not a Danny or Chris, but with Timmy probably coming back and Tommy stepping into his own, he'll probably be able to be more than 50% of the player Danny is for only 50% of the salary and the Sabres can probably live with that 60-70% of Briere that he'd bring. Again, not saying I want to see Danny gone because I don't want them to lose him, I'm just not overly hopeful that he'll be back. I was probably one of the happiest people the day the Sabres traded for Briere because I thought the kid had a ton of potential in Phoenix but just never got the chance to truly show what he could do, so I will be very disappointed if they do lose him.

When I see comments like this I have to go back to Briere and the past offseason. If Briere was going to sign here because he loves it so much and cares more about the hockey than the money he would have signed a contract last off season. He went through arbitration knowing there was a chance the Sabres would walk away from a huge award. He didn't. The money came first. And this offseason will be no different. He will go to the highest bidder.

No way Zubrius takes less then 4 million a season. He was willing to go cheaper then market for the Caps to avoid traveling............ well he is traveling now, so expect 5 or 6 million on a 3 to 5 year deal for him.

What comparables are you comparing him to to get a value of $4-6MM/year for 3-5 years?

He's on pace to exceed his career bests, set last year, of 23 goals and 57 points, but it will be tough for him to end up a 30 goal scorer this year or a 70 point man. There aren't many 25 goal, 60 point $6MM forwards in this league. I don't see how he ends up with the type of contract you expect him to get.

No way Zubrius takes less then 4 million a season. He was willing to go cheaper then market for the Caps to avoid traveling............ well he is traveling now, so expect 5 or 6 million on a 3 to 5 year deal for him.

He didn't sign because of the years being offered. He wanted something like 4-5 years and Washington wasn't going to go over 3. If Darcy is willing to give him what he wanted in Washington, I'm sure he would sign it because it then gives him stability. I think what he wanted to avoid is going from Washington, to another team at the deadline, then to another as a FA this offseason.

When I see comments like this I have to go back to Briere and the past offseason. If Briere was going to sign here because he loves it so much and cares more about the hockey than the money he would have signed a contract last off season. He went through arbitration knowing there was a chance the Sabres would walk away from a huge award. He didn't. The money came first. And this offseason will be no different. He will go to the highest bidder.

The problem was, Darcy did not want to sign him long term to anything anywhere near what he wanted. Darcy wanted to "low ball him" and Briere wanted what he felt he's worth so they went to arbitration. I thought the numbers this offseason was something like Briere wanting $5+ million and Regier was offering around the $3 mil range. Thats a big difference for a team captain and star to have to agree to. Now that Darcy knows the league thinks he's worth atleast $5 mil, offering him $6 (a raise over this seasons salary) for 3-5 years would be something I'm sure Briere probably wouldn't turn down.

But who knows, if you let him become a FA, he may be all about the money and go to the highest bidder, but I have a feeling he is not that kind of player and would take less to go somewhere he wants to play, which will probably be the Canadians.

the only thing I can guarantee is that if Darcy lets either (or both) sniff the FA market, they won't be back next year

Close. Keith Ballard for Reinprecht. Reinprecht and Warrener for Drury and Begin. Sabres exposed Begin to the waiver draft and lost him to Moe-ray-all.

It is possible that the Sabres may trade one or more of their mid-level guys, but I'd be surprised if Hecht is one of them. And there is little to no possibility of Connolly being one of the guys going bye-bye. If he doesn't play a minute this year, but comes back at close to the player he was in the playoffs last year, he'd basically be on a 2 year $4.5MM/year contract. That isn't too outrageous if you expect him to be a 90 ppy man and a strong penalty killer (which given past production, and his age and point in the maturation process is not unreasonable). Unless they get an incredible offer, they are not trading Kalinen away. The Sabres plan is building from goalie out toward wings. They will not give up on Kalinen yet. Ales could be trade bait, but he is the only one of your 4 that I might not necessarily expect to see wearing a really ugly logo next year and I still give it a better than 50% chance that he's back.

You're right, I had it wrong. I had it confused because I remember Begin was part of the deal, but not sure which part, and I forgot Ballard to Colorado. Thanks for correcting that.

With regard to the rest of your post, I think Connolly would be tough to deal as is with his salary, and he may soon be labelled by the rest of the NHL as "injury prone" cause he has missed 2 out of the last 3 seasons, so not many teams may actually want him. Additionally, he has had 2 major concussions, and one more serious one could end his career (a la Adam Deadmarsh), so I think many teams would be very concerned about that. Like I said before, I think he can be a great player on this team and lead in all phases of the game being on both of the special teams and in scoring. It's not so much that I don't like Tim Connolly as much as I don't like his contract. I was kind of disappointed when I heard what the Sabres resigned him for last offseason. I would have resigned him for far less.

I think you are right about Hecht, though. I don't think he'll get traded, and I hope he doesn't cause I think he brings a lot of size and strength to the top line and that really helps. My only point was if it meant keeping Briere and Drury, I would be willing to unload Hecht's salary, but I would prefer not to.

I do think Kotalik and Kalinin could be gone though. Stafford has proven that he's ready to play in the NHL and I think he can very easily replace Kotalik's role on the team. I do think Kalinin can be dealt as well. Kalinin is a reliable defenseman, but I think they can plug Nathan Paetsch in Kalinin's spot and they'll be just fine. I think part of whether Kalinin stays or goes is kind of dependent on Teppo. If Teppo retires, I think they'll probably just move Paetsch into Teppo's spot and keep Kalinin. I think the team has determined that they want Paetsch playing full time one way or another, and I think by next year he will have a firm position on this team either at Wing or Defenseman, but not both. If he plays Defenseman, I think he could replace Kalinin's role on the team. We'll see how the rest of the playoffs go and how the draft goes. You never know what can happen.

Either way Go Sabres!!!!!

Just as long as he keeps his mouth shut this off season about keeping the team together. Saying crap like that than going for every penny he can makes him look like a hypocrite. Just like Jay McKee.

There's a big difference between "going for every penny he can" and accepting, say, a $38 million total offer from the Bruins or the Habs instead of a $28 million offer from the Sabres. I think if the Sabres stay pretty close to the highest bid he will stay. However, if there is a huge spread, he's gone. We can debate the morality of this decision all day, but it's not fair to paint the decision as "going for every penny" -- ie call him greedy and selfish -- when the spread is quite possibly going to be huge.

With regard to the rest of your post, I think Connolly would be tough to deal as is with his salary, and he may soon be labelled by the rest of the NHL as "injury prone" cause he has missed 2 out of the last 3 seasons, so not many teams may actually want him.

I do think Kotalik and Kalinin could be gone though. Stafford has proven that he's ready to play in the NHL and I think he can very easily replace Kotalik's role on the team. I do think Kalinin can be dealt as well. Kalinin is a reliable defenseman, but I think they can plug Nathan Paetsch in Kalinin's spot and they'll be just fine. I think part of whether Kalinin stays or goes is kind of dependent on Teppo. If Teppo retires, I think they'll probably just move Paetsch into Teppo's spot and keep Kalinin.

Great point!

I think Teppo should retire - he's old enough to receive Social Security...

Archived