Who Are the Sabres Untouchables, with the Trade Deadline approaching?

bilzfancy

As I see it, for the right price many of these Sabres can be had, except for the following, Ryan Miller, Chris Drury, Thomas Vanek, Brian Campbell and Henrik Tallinder. Now I'm not saying that anyone else can, or should be traded, I'm saying that these 5 are virtually "untouchable"

As I see it, for the right price many of these Sabres can be had, except for the following, Ryan Miller, Chris Drury, Thomas Vanek, Brian Campbell and Henrik Tallinder. Now I'm not saying that anyone else can, or should be traded, I'm saying that these 5 are virtually "untouchable"

I'd rather see Briere as an untocuhable then Drury, although that is if I had to pick between the 2 which I wouldn't want to

I'm firmly in the Drury camp, but I wouldn't want to see either of them leave at this point. I think it will depend on whether Darcy & co. feel they can re-sign them both.

As for the untouchables, I like the OP's list, although I would put Max right on the border of being untouchable. It would have to be a really sweet deal to get us to trade Max at this point.

looking at the current roster (and salaries), our options are very limited -- esp. if Timmy comes back..I'd say Kotalik is most likely to be traded -- makes $2MM and we have younger, cheaper talent that can replace him (Paille, Stafford, MacArther)..potentially, we could package him with underachieveing Kalinin ($1.75MM) and get a top 4 d-man in return (Eric Brewer or Brent Sopel perhaps? Hamrlik or Berard?)

Miller's recent play has made me see the value of keeping Biron around for the playoff run. Losing either Drury or Briere will completely screw up chemistry (prediction: Briere signs 3 year contract to stay in Buffalo, Drury walks and Connolly or Paille takes his spot as second line center)

There is no way Briere, Biron or any of the top Sabres are going to traded. In fact I would be surprised if Darcy even pulls the trigger on a minor trade.

This team is playing for today, not next season or the season after that. Regardless if we cannot re-sign Briere, we are not going to trade our #1 play maker. Besides are we going to get Briere's true value in a trade-he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

I also don't see us trading Biron. I love Miller but he is a bit of a head case and has been struggling. We need some insurance in net and having a vetran with experience like Marty is too valuable to give up if you want to head deep into the palyoffs. Carolina changed goalies in the playoffs and won the cup. Didn't Anaheim have injuries to one of their goalies last year in the playoffs?

I also don't see us trading Biron. I love Miller but he is a bit of a head case and has been struggling. We need some insurance in net and having a vetran with experience like Marty is too valuable to give up if you want to head deep into the palyoffs. Carolina changed goalies in the playoffs and won the cup. Didn't Anaheim have injuries to one of their goalies last year in the playoffs?

The Sabres are going nowhere in the playoffs if Miller goes down. Despite his play last night, Biron has been average at best throughout his career and will provide no value to the Sabres in the playoffs wehter it be sitting on the bench or in the nets.

I even feel that it is questionable to label Marty as a #1 goalie. What is this based on? Him being the starter for the Sabres for 3 years and they missed the playoffs in all 3 of those years?

Get a pick, a couple of picks or a prospect, but move Marty prior to the deadline.

You can't trade Biron unless you get a goaltender in return which doesn;t help address any needs we have on D. If you trade Biron and don't get a goalie do you call up Denis from Roch or see if Paetsch can play a little goal, too?

It doesn't have to be trade a goalie for a goalie. You could always bring in a replacement for Biron in a separate deal.

Given Tallinder's return and the good news on Connolly, I think the likelihood of any trade involving any of our regulars is very slim. I also think a good way of answering this question is: which of the regulars could you see getting traded? When you factor in salary, length of current contract, and desirability to other teams, I think the answer is: very few. The ones who are vulnerable, IMHO, are:

Kotalik

Paille

Stafford

Kalinin

I will point out that I would be very surprised if Paille, Stafford or Kalinin were traded, but that it's not impossible.

The Sabres are going nowhere in the playoffs if Miller goes down. Despite his play last night, Biron has been average at best throughout his career and will provide no value to the Sabres in the playoffs wehter it be sitting on the bench or in the nets.

I even feel that it is questionable to label Marty as a #1 goalie. What is this based on? Him being the starter ofr the Sabres for 3 years and they missed the playoffs in all 3 of those years?

Get a pick, a couple of picks or a prospect, but move Marty prior to the deadline.

I strongly disagree with you. First off those non playoff Sabres teams were nothing like the team of the past 2 years and that is not a fair comparison. How about last year when Miller got hurt and Marty backed us to that long winning streak which really set the tone for last years team.

Miller worries me. Sorry. Maybe that gets me labled as a heretic around here. I understand he is not going to be like Hasek and steal us 2 points on regular basis, but he lets in too many soft goals late in games lately. Hopefuly this is just phase.

Biron is a decent goalie who does not get enough respect around here lately IMO. Sure his save% is low this year but could that that be a result of of his lack of consistent play? Last year when he played on a regular basis he came through big for us. IMO we do not need prospects or picks. We do need solid goaltending, If Miller pulls a Gerber on us, I like knowing we have an expierenced, capable back up.

The only reason Biron moves is to free up cap space. We could find someone who could fill in "Just in case" for cheaper (but also not as good) so keeping Biron as a backup is more of a luxury at this point. If they can make the team stronger, and keep him, I say great, but he may have to go just because they need the room.

I heard an interesting interview with one of the Rangers' player personnel people. He said the problem with making just about any trade is the incoming player's contract status for the future. If we trade a player away with 1-2 years left on a deal, bring a guy that will be a UFA at the end of the season, and let him walk after this year, this could free up some cap space for next year. Not sure who actually fits in those categories, but I think that is the only kinda of trade we will make (if we make one).

I would add Marty to your list. There is no way they are going to trade him.

Well, if you mean "no way they're going to trade him because he makes too much money, is prone to softies, and has no playoff experience" I wholeheartedly agree with you.

In that case I would call him "untradeable", not "untouchable".

If you mean "no way they're going to trade him because they think he's too vital to the teams success" I would STILL agree with you, but I would also like to see Darcy's head examined :D

We do need solid goaltending, If Miller pulls a Gerber on us, I like knowing we have an expierenced, capable back up.

Problem is just that Biron has zero playoff experience.

I know Miller lis no stranger to softies either, but the last game against The Isles aside here's the difference between him and Marty - Miller will let in a softie early in the game, and bounce back from it. Marty will stand on his head for 50-55 minutes, let in a softie with The Sabres up by one, and come completely apart. Plus he does this consistently which is my biggest gripe with him, and the reason I can't wait to see his 2 mill. dollar salary go somewhere else.

Problem is just that Biron has zero playoff experience.

I know Miller lis no stranger to softies either, but the last game against The Isles aside here's the difference between him and Marty - Miller will let in a softie early in the game, and bounce back from it. Marty will stand on his head for 50-55 minutes, let in a softie with The Sabres up by one, and come completely apart. Plus he does this consistently which is my biggest gripe with him, and the reason I can't wait to see his 2 mill. dollar salary go somewhere else.

Tell me, how much playoff experience did Cam Ward have? :D

The Sabres seem to be in the same position as Carolina was last year at the deadline (as it turned out the Sabres were in that position last year too. Carolina knew exactly what they needed and got it, even givin up almost nothing for Doug Weight. If the Sabres would have done that, things might have been different in the playoffs. I think we are in the same position this year, except it is not a contract year for Miller so we do not need to keep Biron. This team is practically a defensemen away from the cup and if trading Biron si the way to get there then I am all for it. According to SabresSpace, Biron is a 2.128 cap hit. If we could trabe him for a sturdy 1MM hit defensmen than we have a gain of 1.25 M towards the cap and a shot at going all the way. I would also look at trading Kalinin (2.00M) for someone who is not Kalinin.

Tell me, how much playoff experience did Cam Ward have? :D

Very true, but what I've seen from Marty over the years just doesn't leave me feeling very comfortable with him.

Plus I'm sure Cam Ward didn't make 2 million just setting on the bench all year?

Sure, anybody can catch fire at a given time, take Boucher in 2000 for instance. However, if anyone can catch fire, why not get someone cheaper and start praying? Cause having Biron around would be no different - start praying.

Anyway, we obviously have different opinions here and thank god for that. I'm gonna give Biron a rest, fact is I wouldn't mind one bit having him for a backup, just not at his current pricetag.

I strongly disagree with you. First off those non playoff Sabres teams were nothing like the team of the past 2 years and that is not a fair comparison. How about last year when Miller got hurt and Marty backed us to that long winning streak which really set the tone for last years team.

Miller worries me. Sorry. Maybe that gets me labled as a heretic around here. I understand he is not going to be like Hasek and steal us 2 points on regular basis, but he lets in too many soft goals late in games lately. Hopefuly this is just phase.

Biron is a decent goalie who does not get enough respect around here lately IMO. Sure his save% is low this year but could that that be a result of of his lack of consistent play? Last year when he played on a regular basis he came through big for us. IMO we do not need prospects or picks. We do need solid goaltending, If Miller pulls a Gerber on us, I like knowing we have an expierenced, capable back up.

I agree with you about biron, but you seriously sound like an idiot when you talk about Miller. Head Case? Where do you get that? All goalies have to go through phases in terms of developing supreme confidence, but he is no where near a head case.

What are you talking about when you say "if miller pulls a Gerber on us." Did you not watch the playoffs last year? Miller is a prime time goalie and he played phenomenal in the playoffs and was one of the main reasons for the success. Why would you expect any less of him this year. He was a rookie last year and did what he did! As for the soft goals, a lot of it is break downs in the D and he also has more to learn. Also, all the Carolina fans should be down on their knees for Gerber because he was the reason they got to the finals in the first place. In game three when we were about to rout them, undeserving Conn Smythe winner Cam Ward gets pulled and Gerber steps in and stops a Grier breakaway about 20 seconds later. I believe he shut us out in game four and only got pulled in game five because of some good goals by us. Point is Gerber did not deserve to be treated like he did, because we would have won in 5 games if not for him. He swung that series plain and simple.

Also, how do you know Miller will not be the next Hasek? He is only a second year starter in this league and is only 26. He may not be Hasek now but he has "stolen" us 2 points many times already in his career and especially this year.

Please watch the actual games before you comment on Ryan Miller.

Archived