Game Discussion Thread

SabreInFla

So it was a goal, huh? The MSG feed never showed it and CI cut off before the post game show.

I can believe it went in, but what I can't believe is that they didn't spend much time reviewing it.... and the camera angles I saw sure didn't show it going in.

Oh well.

Who were the stars? We had people over for dinner and I shut the game off after the first goal, then caught the third period after they left. From what I saw, Max was the first star, hands down. When he gets that jump goin', he is unstoppable. And he was full of jump tonight.

Sometimes it bothers me that he doesn't always finish (like on the late breakaway). But then I'm reminded of a guy I knew who asked *EVERY* decent-looking woman he met out on a date. Most said no, but enough said yes that he got plenty of action. Max is like that- he creates so many quality scoring chances that even if he misses most of them, he's still scoring a lot of goals (and even when he doesn't, he is tiring out and frustrating the other team, which can be just as important).

I can believe it went in, but what I can't believe is that they didn't spend much time reviewing it.... and the camera angles I saw sure didn't show it going in.

MSG just didn't have the right shot during the game. In the overhead shot that they showed in the post-game show, it was very clear. You could watch the puck go all the way to the back of the net and get pulled back out. If the people upstairs had that shot, then I am not surprised that it only took ten seconds to review.

i did not have time to read the previous 5 pages of posts but i just wanted to comment on two things from the game last night (and I only got to see the 3rd period):

- who wears #2 for chicago? he was a D-man and he was flying out there. everytime he got the puck he turned it on. i noticed him all 3rd period

- more importantly...icebunnies. after seeing the Isles and now the Blackhawks, i think we need them.

I thought they played a good game. NK was on his game last night, with the exception of his Mary moment against Max... I thought they worked hard all game. I was surprised that Miller supposedly faced 36 shots as not many were quality chances. They only thing they should have done was leave the forward in for the PP. The D looked very good otherwise...

Max is like that- he creates so many quality scoring chances that even if he misses most of them, he's still scoring a lot of goals (and even when he doesn't, he is tiring out and frustrating the other team, which can be just as important).

I forget who said "you don't score a goal on 100% of the shots you DON'T take" or something like that, but it's true. Throw it at the net and see what happens.

Some thoughts on the game I enjoyed last night. This was the first MSG feed I've seen, thanks to the NHL ice preview.

Great game by Ryan Miller. I'm pissed that they allowed that weak shot to be called a goal. How many times this year has a shutout been lost in the last minute?

Everytime Awinagainov gets the puck I scream like a schoolgirl. The guy is amazing with his speed and puck handling.

I'm still not used to seeing our uniforms. My wife, not a hockey fan was wondering which team the Sabres were. "Ugh - those are ugly jerseys. What is that big yellow thing on the chest?" Chicago - you got slugged!

Chicago isn't very good. Their goalie played one hell of a game. Seemed like the Sabres were toying with them all game.

Rob Ray on the intermission show is great. I loved the guy as a player and like his commentary on the game.

Does Labatts Beer allow other commercials to run during breaks?

On a personal note, I was able to watch the game with my three week old son, so my wife got three straight hours of sleep. Gentlemen - if you are a new dad, Gripe Water is your friend. A swig of Gripe Water and the little ones sleep without waking up with gas pains every ten minutes.

Beat the Leafs!

-There was no definitive replay during the game, but the one they showed on the post game clearly showed the puck at least a foot over the goal line before Teppo pulled it back out.

-No excuse for giving up a breakaway while on the PP with the game comfortably in hand and your goalie looking for a shutout. INEXCUSABLE! :angry:

-The PP had its moments, but overall the man advantage suckfest continues. The 4 on 3 PP in the first period with repeated attempts to have Kotalik shoot from beyond the faceoff dot was as predictable as you can get.

-Pretty solid overall effort against a weak team missing its best player. A good road win.

-Brian Campbell is starting to experience the same brain farts that made him a game day scratch in 03-04 and the beginning of last year. Not nearly as bad now as it was then, but his play is definitely slipping.

-Hecht is still the most underrated Sabre. For some reason he is the whipping boy of many fans, but he is one of the best two way players on the team and will end up somewhere around 20 goals and 50 points when all is said and done.

GO SABRES...LEAFS SUCK!!!!

On a personal note, I was able to watch the game with my three week old son, so my wife got three straight hours of sleep. Gentlemen - if you are a new dad, Gripe Water is your friend. A swig of Gripe Water and the little ones sleep without waking up with gas pains every ten minutes.

That comment gave me some flashbacks of watching many a Sabres game with a sleeping baby on my shoulder/lap :) . Yes indeed, Gripe Water was a great friend to my wife and I when our kids were newborns.

So was anyone able to hear the "Let's Go Buffalo!" chants? Our group was 50 strong, and there were plenty of other Sabre fans around the building joining in the chant. Almost felt bad for the Hawk season ticket holders who probably have to put up with this on a nightly basis, but then again they invested in Hawk season tickets :doh:

So was anyone able to hear the "Let's Go Buffalo!" chants? Our group was 50 strong, and there were plenty of other Sabre fans around the building joining in the chant. Almost felt bad for the Hawk season ticket holders who probably have to put up with this on a nightly basis, but then again they invested in Hawk season tickets :doh:

When the second goal was scored by Awinagainov, you could hear the cheers on TV.

That comment gave me some flashbacks of watching many a Sabres game with a sleeping baby on my shoulder/lap :) . Yes indeed, Gripe Water was a great friend to my wife and I when our kids were newborns.

LOL - I had to not get excited and toss the little guy around.

Random question... Did anyone else notice poor picture quality during the game last night? At times it was almost difficult to watch. The commercials were fine, but the cameras in the arena all seemed a little out of focus.

Yes. Very blurry. The contrast with the Detroit game that was on in HD the other night was almost too much to bear.