Is It Just Me, Or Has Derek Roy

bob_sauve28

He looks amazing out there since his return and especially the last several games. I think he is emerging as a well above average player. That speed, the puck handling ablities, his on ice vision. The Vanek goal last night was started by his blazing speed, he backed the defense in and then through it back to Spotty. Hope he keeps it up

He looks amazing out there since his return and especially the last several games. I think he is emerging as a well above average player. That speed, the puck handling ablities, his on ice vision. The Vanek goal last night was started by his blazing speed, he backed the defense in and then through it back to Spotty. Hope he keeps it up

How long is Roy's stick? He is only 5'9", but that stick looks like it is 8 ft long.

He's good with it too. It gives him reach way beyond his size.

Interesting...while watching the past few games, we were actually wondering if Roy and Novotny have regressed. In Roy's case, yes he has speed and vision, but lately, he reminds me of Afinogenov, circa 2003 -- he takes the puck into the zone, then gets pushed to the outside and frequently winds up losing the puck -- he needs to drive the net, but I'm afraid he's too small --unless, of course, he's being coached to play the perimeter as the center and dish off to the streaking wingers..not sure, but I was more of a Roy fan last season...

Interesting...while watching the past few games, we were actually wondering if Roy and Novotny have regressed. In Roy's case, yes he has speed and vision, but lately, he reminds me of Afinogenov, circa 2003 -- he takes the puck into the zone, then gets pushed to the outside and frequently winds up losing the puck -- he needs to drive the net, but I'm afraid he's too small --unless, of course, he's being coached to play the perimeter as the center and dish off to the streaking wingers..not sure, but I was more of a Roy fan last season...

That's funny. I sort of see him penetrating the zone and creating scoring chances, like last night. Perhaps this is a subject that should be studied in the coming games

How long is Roy's stick? He is only 5'9", but that stick looks like it is 8 ft long.

I don't know, but I once saw Pieere Turgeon's stick and it was the shortest I had ever seen. Very short, and he is a tall guy on skates

I too have been a bit disappointed in the season Roy has been having. He had a great playoff run last year. I was expecting him to really step up and produce 22-25 goals and 60-65 points this season, esp. with Vanek and Max as his wingmen. He's been decent to good, but not at that level (he projects right now to 11 goals and 49 points, but to be fair he did miss 7 games with injury).

As Rayzor points out, he frequently carries it into the zone and makes a nice 1st move, but seems too easily ridden to the outside and off the puck (or off his skates). This may simply be a function of his size relative to the bigger defenseman he is challenging, but it is something he needs to improve.

Having said that, I agree with Sauve that he had a really good game last night. He really showed his speed -- more speed than I thought he actually had. He's also been solid all year on the PK. So for a 2nd-year NHL player, he's been pretty good.

If we lose Briere or Drury after this year though we'll need him to step it up. I'm not 100% confident that he'll deliver, but I'm not giving up on him yet either.

I love to watch Roy skate in with the puck. He is one of the few sabres who can break the blue line wall with the puck and keep control of it. He is good at that. He needs to work on his passing and shooting afterwards. That is where his game is suffering at the moment.

I think we are all guilty of micro-analyzing every player. There is so much offensive talent on this team we expect them all to be 40-goal scorers. We are already leading the league in goals -- how many can we score?! We'd be averaging six, seven goals a game if everyone reached our "quotas." This team attacks as a three-line unit (we're not rolling four lines as much as last year), and as such, the goals are pretty well spread out. Briere line has scored 40 goals. The Roy line 42. Drury and Kotalik have 31 goals, and when you add in either Novotny's 6 or Gaustad's 5, well you see the point. And contributions sometimes don't show up on the statline. Paul Gaustad was very instrumental in the offensive outburst against Washington but didn't earn a point. These guys are all chipping in, even when they're in "slumps."

I think we are all guilty of micro-analyzing every player. There is so much offensive talent on this team we expect them all to be 40-goal scorers. We are already leading the league in goals -- how many can we score?! We'd be averaging six, seven goals a game if everyone reached our "quotas." This team attacks as a three-line unit (we're not rolling four lines as much as last year), and as such, the goals are pretty well spread out. Briere line has scored 40 goals. The Roy line 42. Drury and Kotalik have 31 goals, and when you add in either Novotny's 6 or Gaustad's 5, well you see the point. And contributions sometimes don't show up on the statline. Paul Gaustad was very instrumental in the offensive outburst against Washington but didn't earn a point. These guys are all chipping in, even when they're in "slumps."

nice post.

Yeah he does use a long stick. Jim Lorentz commented one game about it. He said Roy's stick is longer than Vanek's and Vanek is taller than Roy. He probably uses a longer one to make up for his small size.

Roy is a very skilled player, he doesnt bang that many in, but hes usually the player making the plays. Only 5 goals, but 17 assists, and how many plays has he made where he didn't get the assist? prolly a lot. When your on a line with vanek and afinogenov i'm not surprised hes "under performing", but you take him off the line, and you lose a lot.

When your on a line with vanek and afinogenov i'm not surprised hes "under performing", but you take him off the line, and you lose a lot.

Yeah, we saw that first hand earlier in the season for the few games he was out. He's one of the unsung heroes of this team for sure :thumbsup:

Roy is a special player and i love when people get in arguements when they say who we can get rid of and Roy is one peice any team in the league would love to have. He's not the most skilled player in the world, but i don't remember the last bad "big game" he's ever had. I remember last year we had a very hyped game vs. Toronto and Roy scored a hat trick. He plays big when it counts most. He gives his all. The bigger the game, the bigger he plays. Probably why he's won so much already in his young career.

At practice the other day I was struck by just how short Roy really is...he's only 5'9", the same height as Briere. He looks even shorter though because he's a little stockier than DB. Pretty funny to see him stand next to Tallinder. And yeah his stick is huge (er, you know what I mean).

I like how scrappy he is. One of my favorite moment so far this season was against Montreal in early December when he was mouthing off to Souray after Souray shoved him around a little after the play. The on-ice mic clearly picked him up saying "Yeah you're real f*ckin' tough, why don't you pick on someone your own f*ckin' size!". Classic!

I like how scrappy he is. One of my favorite moment so far this season was against Montreal in early December when he was mouthing off to Souray after Souray shoved him around a little after the play. The on-ice mic clearly picked him up saying "Yeah you're real f*ckin' tough, why don't you pick on someone your own f*ckin' size!". Classic!

I remember that, too. It was at the goal to the left of the camera location, behind the net. You're fitting in nicely here, CDEX! Keep the posts coming! I'm glad you got Assquatch to make your DVD. Now get that DirecTivo!

I remember that, too. It was at the goal to the left of the camera location, behind the net. You're fitting in nicely here, CDEX! Keep the posts coming! I'm glad you got Assquatch to make your DVD. Now get that DirecTivo!

Yeah Assquatch rocks, no doubt. He dropped the DVD into the mail this morning. Hope I get a chance to buy him one of these someday: :beer:

I like this place alot. Knowledgable, friendly, and funny people here...what's not to like :thumbsup:

Roy is a first rate talent . One of thous ones that if you only look at the stats you will never know it. He can matchup against just about anyone and still be a force on offense.

Personally I think Vanek owes alot of his success this season to Roy. Vanek and Roy make there line responsible in there own end and Vanek can take more chances on the rush knowing Roy is out there to cover him.

Archived