The BIG jersey question....

sven233

Well, I know the jerseys are hard to come by now, but I will be getting one when they become available. But, I have the same question a lot of fans have.......WHO DO I GET?

One of the biggest factors to me is who is going to be around for a while (3-4 years +). I am sure I am not the only one who doesn't want to buy a jersey only to have that player be gone a year later.

I KNOW WHO I WANT.......I just don't know his contract status passed next year.

I WANT TO GET A THOMAS VANEK JERSEY. If I were to get him, do you guys think I will be safe for a while? To me, he should be around for a VERY LONG TIME. He is one of, if not the most talented players on the team, but there is only so much money to go around. With the pace he is on, he is going to be commanding a lot of money VERY soon and I don't know if the Sabres can afford it. With Drury and Briere coming up at the end of this year, if they do end up keeping both for some reason (it most likely won't happen), how can they afford to sign Vanek long-term?

I want to support my team, but I can't afford to just throw money away. If I were to get Vanek, I think it might be taking a chance. With him being a TOP PICK and having a lot of hopes attached to him, I think they want to keep him around for many years. They wouldn't want to develop him and them let him go. But then again, I just don't know if they will have the money.

What do all of you think here?

Vanek should be a pretty safe choice. Unless someone comes calling with some absolutely ridiculous trade offer, I can't see him not being here for the next four or so years...but you never know.

I am debating between Vanek, Drury or maybe even Pommer...but most likely Vanek or Drury (if they do the right thing and get him re-signed.) I will likely get the vintage jersey or might wait for the darker third jerseys to come out before I get one, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some team try to offer Vanek an outrageous contract like Philly did with Kesler this year. It could be a tough situation.

I'm with you. And I also don't think Vanek will play as well with whatever that next team is.

Think Mogilny.

That is always possible, shrader. The question is whether a team wants to risk losing a lot of their draft, since they would have to make some sort of offer that would throw a big wrench into the Sabres' salary cap situations. If that were the case, I'd expect someone to have to offer in the $3.5 - $4M per range, which would cost them their top three picks in the next draft.

FWIW, here is how the compensation breaks down for RFA's.

If contract offer is

$660,000 or below: no compensation

Over $660,000 to $1 million: third round pick

Over $1 million to $2 million: second round pick

Over $2 million to $3 million: first and third round picks

Over $3 million to $4 million: first, second and third round picks

Over $4 million to $5 million: two first rounders, one second and one third rounder

Over $5 million: four first rounders

I don't think there is gonna be alot of activity on RFA from now on as far as other teams signing them. Draft picks are the lifeblood for teams with salary caps and everyone has it now.

The cap is the main reason why there will be increased action in the RFA market in the future. Teams will try to screw over other teams who are tight under the cap, just like Vancouver was this past offseason. In the past, it was guys like Fedorov and Sakic who were signed to offer sheets. Now this past year a guy like Kesler was. That's a big change and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of it in the near future.

i went with Afinogenov. EVEN Though it's a fairly common jersey, he's been my favorite player since Hasek left and I have to stick by him. I think Briere would be the safest choice as far as long-term goes, but as shrader said that's a very popular jersey (if that even matters to you, which in retrospect it shouldn't as we're all just sabres fans on the inside, but originality is good)

i went with Afinogenov. EVEN Though it's a fairly common jersey, he's been my favorite player since Hasek left and I have to stick by him. I think Briere would be the safest choice as far as long-term goes, but as shrader said that's a very popular jersey (if that even matters to you, which in retrospect it shouldn't as we're all just sabres fans on the inside, but originality is good)

Let's remember that Danny is a UFA after this year and quite likely to be gone.

Max is an excellent choice.

I'd probably go with Connolly, if he comes back, and Miller if he doesn't.

Its the salary cap era. Put your own name and favorite number on the back of your jersey. I know it's wicked corny, but these guys don't hang around for long. Look at the turnover in the NFL. If you absolutely need to get a current player, I would go with Pommer. He is the epitome of a Buffalo Sabres player. That play he made on Erik Cole last night was great. Plus he had a goal. Did I mention he was on waivers last year but kept fighting his way back onto the roster? Oh, and I forgot the shortie to beat Ottawa. (I didn't forget, I'm being sarcastic).

Why not go w/ a former great Sabre? I've been trying to choose between Pat LaFontaine and hell...why not Lindy Ruff???

I just ordered a classic White (old Logo) Jersey, with Number 22, Captain, Lindy Ruff....

How can you go wrong with a class act like him?

Good choice!!!

I just ordered a classic White (old Logo) Jersey, with Number 22, Captain, Lindy Ruff....

How can you go wrong with a class act like him?

I had my vintage white jersey customized with Lindy's name and number earlier this year... never been prouder to wear a jersey in my life! :D

Why not go w/ a former great Sabre? I've been trying to choose between Pat LaFontaine and hell...why not Lindy Ruff???

Good choice!!!

Well, I can honestly say I've never seen another person wearing a Mike Hartman jersey. And my uncle is the only person I've ever seen with a Yvon Lambert jersey.

Personally, I'd go with a vintage white McGuire/Foligno or M. Ramsey. :D , but that's just me.

Archived