Nichol's Sucker punch

elcrusho

I don't think our reaction was bad at all. It looked like Paetsch was concerned for Spacek and "covered him" while Biron appropriately went after Nicki.

Does anyone know if spacek was injured? CI had the Nashville feed and they didn't even bother to mention he was down.

Oh, and pumping two in on the powerplay was a nice touch, too.

That was effing disgusting. But I do think that we should have responded much more. Come playoff time people may be taking such cheap shots knowing we do nothing about it. Just a thought.

I thought it was great watching Marty kick his ass. What a scumbag. How he walked away from that game without a match penalty, I'll never know.

Good to see Nashville's fan base has its own group of idiots and Flyer-fan wannabes... <_< LINK

Good for Nichol!!! The Slugs player wants to slew foot him right into the goal post, he deserves to get punched in the face!

I thought it was great watching Marty kick his ass. What a scumbag. How he walked away from that game without a match penalty, I'll never know.

Scoresheet says he got 2-instigator

5-fight

10-misconduct

and game - misconduct. I'd say they got it right. (I'd still hope for a suspension, I'm talking only about what the on-ice officials could do.)

Scoresheet says he got 2-instigator

5-fight

10-misconduct

and game - misconduct. I'd say they got it right. (I'd still hope for a suspension, I'm talking only about what the on-ice officials could do.)

The intent was as clear as possible. He deserved a match penalty on top of everything else. The refs dropped the ball on that one. Hopefully the NHL doesn't do the same.

Actually if you read the rest of the posts they are all pretty reasonable.

Like which ones? This:

Scottie deserved to get his punches in, but I don't want anyone injured. Spacek deserved his licks though....

Or this:

Agreed that it was a lapse of judgment on Nichol's part; but understandable. I've been thrown into my share of goalposts and at that speed it's more than painful, because it's disorienting. Spacek probably didn't do it intentionally, but his negligence in taking a penalty in such a dangerous move, and then turning his back on the player he may have injured himself... sorry but I have to admit I did feel a lil' bit satisfied with Spacek getting jacked.

And you Sabres fans know ABSOLUTELY well that there would have been plenty of cheers in Buffalo had the situation been reversed.

Those were the only other posts on it thus far.

Like which ones? This:

Or this:

Those were the only other posts on it thus far.

Maybe this one:

Nichol will get at least a 1-game suspension for the "instigator with less than 5 min" rule. he may get a couple more for the hit itself (i didn't see it yet). i know barry will NOT get fined, since he had no role in "gooning" it up at the end. I hope 22 is finally healthy for saturday's game

---

and the "running" up of the score was in retaliation for the hit.... i guess lindy ruff would rather win 7-1 than send out guys to start fights. i love fights and all, but respect him for not sending out someone to obliterate one of our penalty-killers.

C'mon Wolf, give me a break...

Anybody able to catch the press conference? I'm not even able to enjoy the win....is he hurt bad?

Just found this on sportsline.....

Arnott added his eighth from the left circle at 3:02 of third, but Nashville didn't score again. Nashville center Scott Nichol was given a game misconduct for punching Jaroslav Spacek in the jaw and starting a scrum after being interfered with on his way to the goal at 15:21.

Spacek finally got up a couple minutes later. Kotalik and Pominville responded with a goal each to finish Nashville off.

Game notes

I am elated to hear that Spacek is OK, but as the post-game guys pointed out, since he isn't hurt, it will probably impact how long/if Nichol gets suspended.,

31_98 - Dude, come on - I was pissed about what happened, and wanted to see what the Preds fans had to say. When I went into their Game-Day thread I saw idiots who were praising Nichol for "getting his licks in" and getting back at the "slew-footing slug."

I pointed out the original post to show that there are idiots in their fan base as well, and then brought out two more who showed they were glad that Nichol jumped Spacek. The best you can come back with is a post from a guy who "didn't see the hit"and one who responding to someone who was pissed the Sabres were running up the score. Head back over there and you'll the "reasonable discussion" has broken down into name-calling, threats and general stupidity.

So grab yourself an eggnog, take a deep breath, and give me a break... :thumbdown:

I am elated to hear that Spacek is OK, but as the post-game guys pointed out, since he isn't hurt, it will probably impact how long/if Nichol gets suspended.,

31_98 - Dude, come on - I was pissed about what happened, and wanted to see what the Preds fans had to say. When I went into their Game-Day thread I saw idiots who were praising Nichol for "getting his licks in" and getting back at the "slew-footing slug."

I pointed out the original post to show that there are idiots in their fan base as well, and then brought out two more who showed they were glad that Nichol jumped Spacek. The best you can come back with is a post from a guy who "didn't see the hit"and one who responding to someone who was pissed the Sabres were running up the score. Head back over there and you'll the "reasonable discussion" has broken down into name-calling, threats and general stupidity.

So grab yourself an eggnog, take a deep breath, and give me a break... :thumbdown:

I think we were all hot and would have liked to kick Nichol's ass. And since that "eggnog" tasted so damn good I think I'll let you have the last. :thumbsup:

Just my $0.02: The Nichol punch was despicable. Absolutely bush league. The NHL needs to make an example out of this type of brainless play since they declined to with the Bertuzzi situation. I'll leave the deciding up to Colin Campbell & Co., but I'm thinking double digits in games suspended. At least. Like Rob Ray said, the least Nichol could've done was to tap Spacek on the shoulder and let him turn around. I realize that Spacek took Nichol hard into the goal post, but there are many better ways of reacting to a hit than that.

P.S. To Preds fans: It wasn't running up the score. It was a good PP practice for a unit that's been anemic for a month.

Archived