Schoeny vs. Cashman!

PASabreFan

Great find - it makes me feel young again. I was there in Dec. 1972 (I think). That was Schoeny's third fight of the night - he had taken on Bobby Orr first. That put the proverbial scarlet letter on him. Carol Vadnais and then Cashman before his game misconduct for the third fight in one game.

I don't know if it was just the sight lines at the Aud, but that camera angle is great. Anyone know where the camera is located at HSBC Arena that they use for most of the action? I really like the high shot.

Go to YouTube and search for the Sabres. Keep checking back too because videos are being added all the time.

X, someone posted the telecast in French of the Sabres-Habs shootout!

I don't know if it was just the sight lines at the Aud, but that camera angle is great. Anyone know where the camera is located at HSBC Arena that they use for most of the action? I really like the high shot.

There are clusters of cameras set up on either side of the walkway of the 200 level, center ice. Pretty sure the cameras on the pressbox side are the ones that are used for most of the game.

edit: those videos are all fantastic, thanks for the links everyone! :)

And these moldy highlight reels:

Perreault had a heckuva slapshot!

Damn, but when Gilbert is skating, it strikes me that Max is Perreault's hockey spirit reincarnated!

Electrifying.

Also, after watching the Perreault highlight real, I think the uniform debate needs to be resolved-- bring back the original Blue & Gold!!! And while they're at it, get rid of the lame-@ss techno music used for the Sabres theme and go back to SABRE DANCE!!! (That music gave me goosebumps all through the reel!)

I love the Flyer's game with the fog on the ice; I gotta show that to my kids. I've told them about how hard it was to see during those games, but I don't think they really have a concept of how bad it was.

I get choked up watching that video. Every time. GD I love this team!

I've never seen this! It existed only in my mind.

See, this is EXACTLY why hockey never will be popular. As long as there are fights, and people glorifying violence, the sport is doomed. Why in the world would you post...

...Just kidding. Awesome footage; thanks for the link.

Perreault had a heckuva slapshot!

Nah, he could use it when he had to, but he was the Max of his day, not the Ales.

See, this is EXACTLY why hockey never will be popular. As long as there are fights, and people glorifying violence, the sport is doomed. Why in the world would you post...

How dare you! OK, you got me. I will modify my stance to say I heartily and lustily approve of all fights that occur on cement.

In response to that, I direct you to this gem. This is just too awesome for words.

Best part about that is RJ ... no one calls a brawl like RJ ... you don't even need video ... although I'd love to hear what Wayne Primeau was saying to Snow while Shileds was kicking his a$$ over at the Sabres bench.

I remember one Ray had where the fight continued in the Zamboni entrance after both got ejected from the game.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe what you are referring to is the locker room exits from the ice at the Aud. Each team had their own door to leave the ice right behind the one goal, but as soon as they got by the lower golds, they were in the hallway leading to the locker rooms with nothing separating them.

PS I loved going down before the games and standing in this hallway as the players came out on the ice. You were not more than a couple of feet from them, which was a big deal as a little kid.

I've never seen this! It existed only in my mind.

Man that was something. These were the "Big Bad Bruins" and used to be a HUGE Adams Division rival. Schoeny et al standing up to them established that the young Sabres franchise would NOT be pushed around.

The other big Adams rival was, of course, the storied Montreal Canadiens. LaFleur, Lapointe, Courneyer, Dryden, Frank & Pete Mahovlich...the class of the league. Beating them in the playoffs (Danny Gare 3-2 in OT at the Forum I think) established the Sabres as a real NHL franchise. Hell, the famous "Thank You Sabres" chant at the Aud happened when we LOST to those guys the year before.

I don't hate either of those teams. I consider them worthy opponents. The Flyers, on the other hand.....

Now that is old time hockey. I haven't seen the Schony hit in years.

Rayzor laying the Rock Bottom on the Flyer in the crease.

Shields making Snow his b#tch.

Now I have to go see if I can find any of the Sabres/Bruins playoff brawls from the late 80's/early 90's. Hartman, MacGuire, Shoebottom....

Man that was something. These were the "Big Bad Bruins" and used to be a HUGE Adams Division rival. Schoeny et al standing up to them established that the young Sabres franchise would NOT be pushed around.

The other big Adams rival was, of course, the storied Montreal Canadiens. LaFleur, Lapointe, Courneyer, Dryden, Frank & Pete Mahovlich...the class of the league. Beating them in the playoffs (Danny Gare 3-2 in OT at the Forum I think) established the Sabres as a real NHL franchise. Hell, the famous "Thank You Sabres" chant at the Aud happened when we LOST to those guys the year before.

I don't hate either of those teams. I consider them worthy opponents. The Flyers, on the other hand.....

Just a couple of clarifications for the kiddies in the room. ;)

Danny Gare's OT goal was scored in the Aud. He did have a very memorable one in the Forum when he scored from along the boards on the goal line.

Thank You Sabres happened in '73. The Sabres missed the playoffs in '74 in what could arguably be described the worst season in franchise history. Perreault broke his leg, Schoeny only played in 28 games because of back problems, Crozier had stomach problems that caused him to miss most of the season, and of course Tim Horton tragically moved on to the great donut shop in the sky. (There were other misfortunes as well, but you get the idea.)

While Montreal was a rival, they didn't join the Adams Division until '81-'82. They, Buffalo, and Boston were all in the East Division through '73-'74 before the league realigned to 4 divisions when Washington and Kansas City joined.

Archived