Schoeny vs. Cashman!

PASabreFan

"Just a couple of clarifications for the kiddies in the room."

Wow, thanks! These are hazy childhood memories and then I moved to where there was no hockey. Perhaps I should look up some history...

Mostly I remember the "Big Bad Bruins" and the Canadiens being in the same division. Thought it was always the Adams. I also remember those hockey cards for all the teams (including the KC Scouts, the Golden Seals and some other now defunct teams) that we'd get from the grocery store (Loblaws?) and glue in a notebook

Thanks again.

Niagara might be referring to Rene Robert's OT goal in Game 5 at the Forum in 1973. It extended the series to a sixth game at the Aud.

I thought of that possibility, except he had stated that the "Thank You Sabres" chant occurred prior to the OT goal he was referring to. So, although he might have been, he wasn't. :P

Niagara might be referring to Rene Robert's OT goal in Game 5 at the Forum in 1973. It extended the series to a sixth game at the Aud.

I went to Sabres Alumni to try to piece some things together. I don't really remember anything before '74 (that includes Schoney/Cashman and "Thank you Sabres") but they were talked about a lot because they were fresh, kinda like the Umberger hit will be talked about for a few years as a moment when this current crop came of age.

It looks like the time we beat the Canadiens I remember was the Conf. Finals in '75 that set us up against Philly. In that one video it shows Gare sliding to the boards at the Forum and the announcer talks about "Danny Gare, in OT"...I thought maybe that was the series winner. I don't remember. I DO remember that beating MTL was HUGE and we were very confident going in against Philly. I'm pretty sure that "Thank-you Sabres" was following a loss to MTL, and I assumed it was the year before we beat them. Looks like that was '73.

Another cool game, if I remember correctly was the last game of 75-76 and Rick Martin had 49 goals, Danny Gare had 47. Everybody fed Rico all night and he didn't score. Gare got a hat trick and finished with 50.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

It looks like the time we beat the Canadiens I remember was the Conf. Finals in '75 that set us up against Philly. In that one video it shows Gare sliding to the boards at the Forum and the announcer talks about "Danny Gare, in OT"...I thought maybe that was the series winner. I don't remember.

D'oh!!! Just watched the video again. Gare's OT goal is at the Aud. Question...was that the series winner that sent us to the Cup Finals?

I went to Sabres Alumni to try to piece some things together. I don't really remember anything before '74 (that includes Schoney/Cashman and "Thank you Sabres") but they were talked about a lot because they were fresh, kinda like the Umberger hit will be talked about for a few years as a moment when this current crop came of age.

It looks like the time we beat the Canadiens I remember was the Conf. Finals in '75 that set us up against Philly. In that one video it shows Gare sliding to the boards at the Forum and the announcer talks about "Danny Gare, in OT"...I thought maybe that was the series winner. I don't remember. I DO remember that beating MTL was HUGE and we were very confident going in against Philly. I'm pretty sure that "Thank-you Sabres" was following a loss to MTL, and I assumed it was the year before we beat them. Looks like that was '73.

Another cool game, if I remember correctly was the last game of 75-76 and Rick Martin had 49 goals, Danny Gare had 47. Everybody fed Rico all night and he didn't score. Gare got a hat trick and finished with 50.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

D'oh!!! Just watched the video again. Gare's OT goal is at the Aud. Question...was that the series winner that sent us to the Cup Finals?

That goal was the winner in Game 1. Batman scored the winner in Game 6.

That game where Gare got 50 against TO, there was someone with a sign at the front of the Oranges that said Martin - 49 (waiting for Martin to get his 50th). After Gare scored his 49th, the sign was changed to Gare - 49. Then the place went nuts when Danny hit the trick. The sign then was flipped to Gare - 50. (Sorry, lame story.)

Archived